PDA

View Full Version : Starting Dark Eldar army - any advice?

09philj
28-06-2015, 00:16
After a fairly long period of playing only sporadically with my Orks and not bothering to update to 7th edition from 5th, I've decided to get back into 40k properly. To that end, the other day I bought the Dark Eldar codex and a box of warriors to get started with. (This ate all my remaining cash.) I'm aware of the reputation the DE have for being difficult to use, so I'd like to ask for some general advice about building an army and how to use it. My short term plan is to get an archon and some more warriors, and have one squad with splinter rifles, a shredder, and splinter cannon, and one with splinter rifles, a blaster, and a dark lance, and have the archon with a blaster and huskblade. I'm not sure about what other wargear to give him, although a clone field o shadow field is an obvious must. After that I'm looking to get a raider and some scourges.

adreal
28-06-2015, 01:28
First off, what type of meta do you play in?? (casual or cut throat)
What type of playstyle do you prefer (long range shooting, up close overwhelming fire power, speedy close combat, flying good circus, mass rule shenanigans)
Are you patient enough to learn from mistakes??

See my playstyle is fast overwhelming shooting and although I do like some close combat I absolutely suck at choosing targets, so my army is mainly warriors in raiders with splinter racks and anti tank support from archon led trueborn and haywire scourge, I had to loose abit before realising these things, but my play style won't work for someone who knows how to pick and choose combats

Eldarsif
28-06-2015, 01:55
The units you can buy and not feel like you're being screwed over(at least in the current codex) are:

Kabalite Warriors(these double as trueborns. You want Trueborns with Blasters).
Raiders
Ravagers

Then for some fun the jetbikes are also decent. Scourges can be used too.

Oh, and if you see a pack of wyches ignore it. They are horrible and were made even worse in the latest codex because GW hates Dark Eldar players for some reason.

MajorWesJanson
28-06-2015, 04:38
Honestly, they could easily change the title to "Dark Eldar: a Codex Craftworld supplement"
Wych cult units are terrible, Eldar jetbikes are troops, get 1 HW per 1 model, and 3+ armor for near identical price as Reaver jetbikes, And some of the DE special characters lost abilities that were then given to exarchs in the eldar book.

This is not really a good time to get into Dark Eldar as a playable army. Their best use is as small detachments supporting stronger armies.
Models look great though, still. I have so many wyches sitting on shelves though :( And when the awesome Night Raven bomber came out, they decided to triple nerf it rules wise.

deathrain-commander
28-06-2015, 18:02
Warriors and Trueborn are some of the best units in the codex, but they need transports (I tend to go Raiders for Warriors, Venoms for Trueborn). Incubi are amongst the nastiest assault troops in the game, but you need to put a lot of points into them to make them work. Jetbikes, Scourges and Jetfighters are the jewels of the Fast Attack slot, Ravagers are pretty nasty as well. All of the Haemonculus stuff is pretty great, but you should probably get the Covens supplement to use them at their best.

Hope that helps.

stroller
28-06-2015, 21:33
Can't comment on tournament play.

For casual/ "fun" play, the old adage of play with the models you like still goes a long way. I know Wyches are "supposed" to be useless, but I still like playing them, and they still win close combat often enough for me to keep playing them. That said, I tend to soften targets up with splinter fire first: my "goto" troops choice is 9 warriors & haemonculus on a raider with splinter racks, one warrior carrying a splinter cannon, raider equipped with disintegrators. If I'm tank hunting the disintegrator and cannon get replaced by dark lances. Venoms carrying tooled up trueborn can dish out a lot of pain too.

On the other hand, there are no units I NEVER run. I like my hellions, beastmaster and bikes zooming in from the flank. My ravager almost always shows up, as do my mandrakes, cronos, talos and mandrakes. I know some of these are supposed to be sub optimal, but, I like my army to fly (or skim) in. They're raiders. Nobody walks.

Have FUN with them.

Spiney Norman
29-06-2015, 09:44
Honestly, they could easily change the title to "Dark Eldar: a Codex Craftworld supplement"
Wych cult units are terrible, Eldar jetbikes are troops, get 1 HW per 1 model, and 3+ armor for near identical price as Reaver jetbikes, And some of the DE special characters lost abilities that were then given to exarchs in the eldar book.

This is not really a good time to get into Dark Eldar as a playable army. Their best use is as small detachments supporting stronger armies.
Models look great though, still. I have so many wyches sitting on shelves though :( And when the awesome Night Raven bomber came out, they decided to triple nerf it rules wise.

Much as I hate to admit it MWJ is right, Dark Eldar area pretty much dead as a playable army, around half of the choices in the codex are just non-functional and the rest are barely above average, my suggestion would be buying DE models and proxying them using the CWE codex for now. Kabalites as guardians/avengers, Wyches as banshees, scourges as swooping Hawks, Incubi as striking scorpions, Reavers as Jetbikes, most units have direct equivalents, though you might have to get a little creative if you want to use grav tanks.

DE were already a finesse army when they got excessively nerfed with their recent book, unless your opponent is willing to put together an extremely lenient list most games involving DE are a foregone conclusion nowerdays.

Denny
29-06-2015, 16:38
For casual/ "fun" play, the old adage of play with the models you like still goes a long way. I know Wyches are "supposed" to be useless, but I still like playing them, and they still win close combat often enough for me to keep playing them. That said, I tend to soften targets up with splinter fire first: my "goto" troops choice is 9 warriors & haemonculus on a raider with splinter racks, one warrior carrying a splinter cannon, raider equipped with disintegrators. If I'm tank hunting the disintegrator and cannon get replaced by dark lances. Venoms carrying tooled up trueborn can dish out a lot of pain too.

Totally agree on Wyches; the internet hates them, yet they are my MVP every game. Dunno what to tell you.

. . . Also I think that unit is slightly illegal.
Don't you need ten warriors to buy a heavy weapon? (sorry!)

Okuto
30-06-2015, 02:46
General rule of thumb

-Dont bother with archon, succubus or a lone court member will do, unless you want a shooty archon....without a ap2 cqc weapon, the archon's deadweight
-Get hameonculus suppliment.....has most of the playable options
-Get craftworld eldar dex, really compensates our shortcomings
-dont expect amazing things, at least you're army is pretty
-venom spam, still viable
-Get your cqc options outta covens, your AT/psychic outta craftworlders and you're good to go.

Embrace the suckage if you play DE standalone

stroller
30-06-2015, 21:29
Totally agree on Wyches; the internet hates them, yet they are my MVP every game. Dunno what to tell you.

Oops! You're right. Shoots haemonculus lots of times rerolling misses using splinter racks, and hauls another warrior on board.

Dr.Clock
02-07-2015, 20:21
I'm mostly of the opinion that DE+CWE is 'better' than either of them on their own. There is just SO MUCH synergy between the lists... CWE brings some key characters to the table to make things work better - autarchs with banshee masks in particular for reavers and wyches to nerf overwatch. For DE, their transports can do really interesting things with aspect warriors.

I love me some gun barges tho - 10 Kabalites in a racked-up raider is a great workhorse unit, as are 5 in a venom. Ravagers are still perfectly viable. Realspace Raiders detachment is my go to... mostly because I like using plenty of scourges, reavers and beast masters... although again the internet would object to the latter.

Harlequins also bring alot to the table - just a 'cast of players' or whatever the one is that's one of each IC in a troupe - throw them in a Raider with portal glaive Succubus, and you've got one of the nastier combat beatsticks in the game. It'll run you ~500 points all in, but it's just ever so fun...

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Althenian Armourlost
03-07-2015, 02:14
Raiders are one of the best transports in the game for pissing people off.
They have a very small front, and a very long side. You can therefore position the raider so that the front is the closest side to the enemy, but it is out of sight behind a building. As such, in the rulebook, the vehicle gets +1 cover save. Therefore, you can position the raider so it has a 2+ cover save quite easily, and still have the kabalite warriors shoot out at full efficiency.

In order to get a shot off without this save the enemy have to move into a very specific 'kill zone' so you can easily set up a charge with another unit.

prince_machiavelli
18-11-2015, 00:56
Raiders are one of the best transports in the game for pissing people off.
They have a very small front, and a very long side. You can therefore position the raider so that the front is the closest side to the enemy, but it is out of sight behind a building. As such, in the rulebook, the vehicle gets +1 cover save. Therefore, you can position the raider so it has a 2+ cover save quite easily, and still have the kabalite warriors shoot out at full efficiency.

In order to get a shot off without this save the enemy have to move into a very specific 'kill zone' so you can easily set up a charge with another unit.

Getting my head around this because it is a tactic I want to use - how does this affect the line of sight of the Warriors though?

BigDaddyYumYums
18-11-2015, 04:24
Shooting from vehicles is measured from ANY point on the hull. Naturally this makes this tactic pretty nasty, yet awesome!

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

mrmagoo73
18-11-2015, 13:58
Ignore the naysayers saying Dark Eldar aren't a competitive army. I go to an average of 2 Tournaments a month in my area and while no I don't always win I have won numerous tournaments. Yes Dark elder are a finesse army and yes will take some getting use to. Be ready to loose a lot to get experience.

Here is my opinion on where to start.
Archon
True Born in raider all w\Blasters
Warriors - Venom
Warriors - Venom
Warrior - Venom
Reaver Jet Bikes
Ravagers

Those are all safe bets.

I love my grotesques, others will argue but I do love my grotesques.

As far a shooting from Vehicles. Yes this is a nasty trick. Great for Deepstriking on Knights. You don't scatter if you take the WWP. You setup so that the raider is in 2 facing, usually Side/Back. Let your opponent choose his facing and you say your boat is hitting the other facing. Done that a lot and Knight players hate it. Usually means a dead knight.

Synergy with CWE is a great thing. Replace true born with Fire Dragons and you Get +3 to Pinning knights, Bikes as Troop choices is annoying, plus all scat bikes. I like to throw in a Dark Eldar WraithKnight just for fun.

Smooth Boy
19-11-2015, 00:27
Taking the 'building the army' part literally... buy some third party flight stems... GW's will drive you insane with the amount your army will have.

Dark_Kindred
19-11-2015, 07:34
I'd probably go to The Dark City (http://www.thedarkcity.net) for extensive advice.

The Coven supplement is considered pretty strong but I've never used it. Largely based on fear-bomb tactics, which wreck non ATSKNF units.

Scourges are pretty strong as they can take a Haywire Blasters (safe anti-tank), Blasters (all around decent), and Heat Lances (ballzy all in). The models are pretty cheap and classy looking but you'll have problems getting enough special weapons without pillaging other kits.

Grotesques are pretty awesome at wrecking vehicles with crappy rear armor or mobs of non MEQ--great Succubus delivery system. Key element to a fear bomb.

Warriors are cheap (can make 2 squads with 2 blasters per box for Venoms).

Incubi are pretty classy--you'll wreck most MEQ things, particularly with a Klaivex with Rampage. Pretty scary if they get Furious Charge.

For Ravagers, would just buy raiders and use the dude's hanging off plus spare Dark Lances to make the them. Save you a few dollars.

Spiney Norman
19-11-2015, 07:44

I still use wyches, a squad of nine accompanying my succubus is a portalled raider, but even then I find that probably half the games I play the raider gets popped and I lose 1/3-1/2 the squad in the explosion. Wyches are fair in combat as long as you don't charge anyone with a half way decent armour save or a unit with flamers. In fairness the succubus is death on a stick so she usually still whoops ass even if she only has a couple of wyches left by the time she assaults (a depressingly frequent occurrence).

To be clear, I run wyches because my succubus needs some b****es, not because they ever really accomplish anything meaningful.

Denny
19-11-2015, 11:24
I still use wyches, a squad of nine accompanying my succubus is a portalled raider, but even then I find that probably half the games I play the raider gets popped and I lose 1/3-1/2 the squad in the explosion. Wyches are fair in combat as long as you don't charge anyone with a half way decent armour save or a unit with flamers. In fairness the succubus is death on a stick so she usually still whoops ass even if she only has a couple of wyches left by the time she assaults (a depressingly frequent occurrence).

To be clear, I run wyches because my succubus needs some b****es, not because they ever really accomplish anything meaningful.

I think terrain is the biggest factor; I play on terrain dense tables with big line of sight blockers (cue shameless plug for the painting blog in my signature (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?413603-The-Lost-and-the-Discounted):shifty:). A single Raider can usually get close to enemy lines without coming under too much fire, so there is only usually only one turn where I have to really worry about being shot down. You are right though; if an occupied raider is blown up the unit inside is usually pretty much toast.

The unit acts as a great spoiler for dedicated assault units, but it is a better tarpit than beatstick.

deathrain-commander
19-11-2015, 16:42
Wyches can still be nasty under the right circumstances, but they're only really viable if they're portalling in someplace inconvenient in a Raider, and if you can afford to bring an equivalent sized unit of Incubi, they tend to become useless, as the Incubi are preferable in almost* every situation. It'll also depend on what turn they get the charge in (and if you brought an Animus Vitae), how many Flamers your opponent brought (if you're up against Sisters, you might as well not even deploy them) and what combat drug you get. So they're unreliable, but a lot of players still like them, including me. I like bringing them in reasonably small games, when a squad of Incubi would eat up too many points, as extra wounds for my Succubus.

*Almost. There are a handful of exceptions, but they're generally pretty specific.

Saunders
20-11-2015, 19:52
Can't go wrong with warriors in raiders. That's going to be the core of your army.