PDA

View Full Version : LatD

Unseeing Eye
04-07-2006, 08:51
Among many, many other things (Orks, Deathwing etc) I have been considering LatD as my next army after the Genestealer force I am working on. The feel and rarity of LatD appeals to me, but the rules are a bit tricky. I've thought of 3 ways I could go about it.

Beastmen: I've always loved the Fantasy Beastmen models, but I don't like Fantasy. These models were obviously in mind for the Burly mutants. Beast Herds for Mutants, Bestigors for Big Mutants. Rest of the army made up with Aspiring Champions, some small AT Traitor units, maybe some traitor vehicles to screen the mutants.

Pros: Beast models! Cheap, cool, ready to go out of the box!
Cons: Burly mutants are alright, but ruleswise don't orks really do this sort of army better? And people still complain about it being crap there.

Genestealer Cult: As I mentioned, I've got a lot of Genestealers. I could make a cult with lots of Daemonettes (stealers), cultists (Catachans painted accordingly), leaping mutants (hybrids--mix of gaunt and Catachan parts) and traitor vehicles.

Pros: Uses models I already have.
Cons: Is this done better by an actual Nid list? 12 points for a leaping mutant is very expensive. Also hard to fit in the scheme my stealers have (bone and red) onto guard models. Expensive/hard to convert mutants without them looking silly. Catachan models are kind of pants.

Zombies: The bloated mutants are cool--I love 4+ saves. Could have some bloated mutants (zombies), big mutants (Pestigors), traitor guard and traitor vehicles.

Pros: Easy models out of the box, 4+ saves.
Cons: I dislike Nurgle and I dislike zombies. They really don't inspire me themewise or modelwise.

The Keeper of Secrets
04-07-2006, 09:49
Im doing a latd army tooo, great fun!!

Just to go off on a tangent, you dont want to buy a large ork army if you are considering them, do you. if so then click on my link on the sig (easy to guess which one) and reply to me!!!

If not then do latd (and nurgle is the best!!!:evilgrin:).

Unseeing Eye
04-07-2006, 09:57
How best to model the bloated ones though? Interestingly, the book notes that units with these gifts are not neccesarily aligned with each god.

So the Nurgle rules are awesome, but I hate using plaugey stuff.

Gen.Steiner
04-07-2006, 11:39
Either use the WFB Zombie box (but you don't like Zombies) or sculpt distended stomachs onto Catachans. They're mutants, so the ridiculous arms won't be too much of a bother.

Unseeing Eye
04-07-2006, 11:41
Me, sculpt?

I'm afraid the idea is rather humourous.

(Seriously, I'm fairly certain I am one of the worst sculptors on the planet).

Gen.Steiner
04-07-2006, 12:18
Hm... well, in that case...

I suggest either Zombie models or looking for fat figures. Can't really help further to be honest, I'm not a mutant LatD player in all honesty, I prefer my luverly traitors. And when I do go mutant, I go Slaaneshi...

cerealkiller195
04-07-2006, 15:12
I'm doing a genestealer cult used LATD rules (check the sig) hardest part for me now is converting guys to make hybrids. Lots of LATD armies are starting to come about (Genestealer Cults in particular) must be something in the air heh.

about orks, they are my first army and one of my most loved armies. Usually when i tried to start a new army i would just scrap it to do more orks. Genestealer cult is one of the few that survived being scrap for my orks and i think that says a lot about both armies. Both allow for heavy custom work to be done, both have tons of character and personality. Also both lists let you play distinctly and what you are comfortable with.

jazzdude78
04-07-2006, 18:15
Id say go for the stealer list
remember old school stealer cults could have traitorous guard (dont hav eto use catachans) as well as beastmen (variety in your mutants, the cults could worship khorne)
plus yknow while the nid and ork armies are traditionally better in cc they lack fun stuff like lascannons and leman russ (well orks can have both but bear with me)

my last plan for a stealer cult though was actually to run it off a Goff ork list with skarboyz being stealer hybrid types

Kriegsherr
04-07-2006, 18:20
Okay, my latd will be a small 500-750 points force made up of demonettes (normal and mounted ones), scratch-built demon characters (succubi! :)), heavy dark eldar conversions as blood pact elite traitors (howerver they are called in english), scratch built slaanesh demon swarms and some other converted stuff I'm still not decided yet.
Maybe some Dark Elven harpies as winged mutants, maybe some "warrior-puppets" with a puppet-master (anybody seen the anime naruto? I'm thinking about these puppets :)).
All in all it should represent a quite powerful underground slaanesh cult. But It'll take a long time even to finish these small army with all the scratchbuilding (some wire, some green stuff and a lot of time).

But first I wanted to do a mutant horde with beastmen from fantasy, the fantasy demon prince (the "dark master"), and chaos hounds. But I had no idea how to fit any guns into this horde and didn't wanted a gunless army, so I changed plans and took the longer road :)

A zombie horde sounds also like a lot of fun. These suckers might not be really strong on the TT, but they have tons of character, and might just be the right thing for CoD.

EDIT: Why not just take "carapace armours" instead of bloated bellies? Maybe the Chaos Warriors for Fantasy? Or something similar? The LatD rules are quite open on how to represent mutations and stuff... and, fluffwise, chaos warriors in fantasy are already mutated (even without the ridicoulos big mutation sprue). Their bigger, Stronger and uglier than any normal human beeing.

Unseeing Eye
04-07-2006, 21:52
So, essentially: I like the Nurgle rules best, the Beastmen models best and the Stealer background best. :(

I'd need to figure out some way to represent either the Beastmen or Hybrids as having a 4+ save. Then I'll figure out which one I want from there.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I think I'll go with the beastmen. How should I justify the save? Obviously they can have shields, but I think they'd need something more.

jazzdude78
05-07-2006, 00:35
bestigors kinda work

or failing that just say theyre really tough

edit add shoulder pads, shoulder pads will amke you invincible

cerealkiller195
05-07-2006, 00:47
gs'd chainmail armor?

sin of damnation
05-07-2006, 04:51
How about warpaint, or tattoos? Their spiritual faith in their dark god/patriarch or whatever makes them virtually impervious to small arms fire?

Put plenty of icons into the squads to re-enforce the look, and bingo, a 4+ save (all without having to sculpt anything).

AventineCrusader
05-07-2006, 07:34
I use the beastmen for my mutants. The Gors I use as strong mutants and the ungors I convert with armour, thusly,

if you want more pics, check out the link in my sig, theres lots there...:D

Crusader