PDA

View Full Version : Savaging up non-savage OnG units

Oogie boogie boss
28-06-2015, 16:34
Hi all,

Hope you are geeky and well! I've decided to turn my Savage Orc only army into a 'savage' Orc and Goblin army, to open up more unit options, get a bit more variety in playing style (blunt force combat can get a bit dull and predictable), and open up some modelling options. [emoji4]

I'm keeping some limitations, excluding things that I don't think will still fit into the savage army idea; basically no NG units, common orcs and ofc BO.

However I'm going to start using gobbo units (already started a 45 strong gobbo unit using the Spider Rider riders).

So my question is how would people model other 'savage' looking versions of other units, especially war machines, and how would you combine the elements tactically?

I'm purposefully ignoring the possible changes 9th might bring. The things I've heard don't sound great (round bases and skirmish), so just going off existing 8th rules and meta.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dutchwarlord
28-06-2015, 17:15
You could perhaps glue to cobweb catapult thing option for the Arachnarok spider on a base and use it as Rock Lobber? You also might be able to mount spear chucka's on spiders? I did that a few months ago, I could make a picture next week, if you are interested?

Oogie boogie boss
28-06-2015, 18:53
Yeah, that sounds great. [emoji4] I'd love to see some pics, I like that idea a lot. I was thinking along the lines of using big stabbas to make some crude looking Spear Chukkas too.

Oogie boogie boss
28-06-2015, 18:53
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/28/6e310c678b1355e1ae601290abe9ee5c.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/28/443d823d578488c99e0c455fb66c757d.jpg

My first 5 'savage' gobbos, btw.

StygianBeach
29-06-2015, 08:30
I love those Goblins!

The sad thing is that I had the same idea just recently, but the flood of spider riders on ebay seems to be well over.

Kallstrom
29-06-2015, 08:44
Even savage orc spears can be used as bases for spear chukkas and look great (my friend has some in his army).

If you have stone troll models I would try to make some sort of shamanistic masks for them (you know, a piece of wood striped in bright colors with holes for the eyes).

Other than that, you could just use squigs as they are but replace any rider/handler with a forest goblin.

Oogie boogie boss
30-06-2015, 11:40
I love those Goblins!

The sad thing is that I had the same idea just recently, but the flood of spider riders on ebay seems to be well over.

Thanks SB! I have to say I'm pretty happy with them. Though I got 40 from eBay for 40 total, so it seems they are still there from time to time. Though I do now have a lot of spare spiders........

Oogie boogie boss
30-06-2015, 11:45
Even savage orc spears can be used as bases for spear chukkas and look great (my friend has some in his army).

If you have stone troll models I would try to make some sort of shamanistic masks for them (you know, a piece of wood striped in bright colors with holes for the eyes).

Other than that, you could just use squigs as they are but replace any rider/handler with a forest goblin.

That's actually a cool idea, I'll try and get hold of a few spear chukkas and use SO bits to make them look (even) cruder.

And I'm only using River Trolls in the army, as part of the limitations I've kept on the force (no NG, common orcs, BO, Squigs or Stone Trolls). My river trolls have lots of warpaint though. [emoji1]

I was thinking of getting a Bretonnian Trebuchet to use as a Rok Lobba, suitably savaged up. Any thoughts?

Yowzo
30-06-2015, 12:30
You could perhaps glue to cobweb catapult thing option for the Arachnarok spider on a base and use it as Rock Lobber? You also might be able to mount spear chucka's on spiders? I did that a few months ago, I could make a picture next week, if you are interested?

This. Very simple to do, and no conversion required.

Here's a sample:

http://s81.photobucket.com/user/lysander_2045/media/Spider%20Cult/IMG_3112.jpg.html

The doom diver can work as is with only minor conversions (put feathers on the gobbos pulling the rope, a little greenstuff on the actual diver helmet to make it look like it's bone or stone).

Oogie boogie boss
30-06-2015, 13:10
Those do look cool, will definitely think about that as an option. [emoji4]

Oogie boogie boss
30-06-2015, 13:14
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/30/3851b88aaf9d3c6c6738396e523d3d06.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/30/d4fa5f86ca1b67d6c3d4d7d9528bf7ad.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/30/8dfb825a8f55ee5184ecea736a92a9b3.jpg

Here are the second 5 btw, including the command. Though having recently caught up on the death of Fantasy (been out of it all for a few months) and how Ye Olde 40k seems set to take it's place, I cannot help but feel that these endeavours will ultimately be a little redundant. [emoji17]

mbh1127
30-06-2015, 14:56
needs more round bases

Oogie boogie boss
30-06-2015, 15:19
Sigh. *weeps uncontrollably*

Oogie boogie boss
30-06-2015, 15:23
I must admit, at the moment (emphasis on that, I want to be open minded), I'm finding myself drawn into the 'fingers in your ears, eyes closed and just keep playing 8th' camp.

dwarf_zepplin
01-07-2015, 01:26
I must admit, at the moment (emphasis on that, I want to be open minded), I'm finding myself drawn into the 'fingers in your ears, eyes closed and just keep playing 8th' camp.

Do it! Join us... :cool:

Oogie boogie boss
01-07-2015, 10:12
Haha, I certainly will for at long as 8th is supported. I'm still clinging to the hope that AoS is just going to be a gateway into a new edition of WHFB with more familiar core rules......... #naievehope

Skywave
02-07-2015, 03:28
Don't worry mate, you are not the only one continuing to build stuff without knowing if it'll be useful in the not-so-distant future! I still do too, and still use square base, I just keep going :D

And your gobs looks great so far! Only that the gray shield looks a bit bland (at first I though they where unpainted). A black wash on them could help. You can go with 50/50 mix of black and lahmian medium if you don't want it too dark. Or you could go for an extra highlight instead.

Oogie boogie boss
02-07-2015, 16:30
Glad to hear it. To be fair, pretty much everyone I play against regularly are similarly ignoring AoS and have just decided to keep on with 8th. The only worry is how long the models are available for.

And good point about the shields. I might go for a dark grey wash and/or pick out the detail in purple, as is the main colour theme for the army. [emoji4]