PDA

View Full Version : Haradrim 300 pts for a newbie

Math Mathonwy
04-07-2006, 09:12
Hiya,

I was wondering about attracting to the hobby a couple of people who like miniatures and painting them but don't fancy the hundreds of pages of rules associated with games like WHFB and 40k. And since the fluff for LotR is well-known to pretty much everyone, the game seems very accessible from that angle as well.

So, I sort of kind of made this 300 point list based on nice looking miniatures. Is it any good?

Ringwraith (+1 M/W/F) 70
Harad Chieftain 45

2 x Giant Spider 50
1 x Harad w Banner 30
9 x Harad w Spear 54
8 x Harad w Bow 48

Hopefully I did the calculations correctly.

This force represents the Tribe of the White Spider Haradrim, who use the venom from the dangerous white desert spiders to poison their arrows. A Ringwraith has "convinced" them to assist in some evil scheme.

Is the force playable? Legal? Fun? Is the configuration for the Ringwraith OK?

Gondorian
04-07-2006, 14:03
I think the force is playable.
You might have some difficulty in persuading people about the desert spiders but I'd have no problem with that.

If you mainly like the hobby for the models then just buy whatever looks cool and work out army lists after you've painted and modelled to your heart's content.

Math Mathonwy
04-07-2006, 18:29
I think the force is playable.
You might have some difficulty in persuading people about the desert spiders but I'd have no problem with that.
I'll paint them yellowish white - they should look the part. Though I agree that Tolkien probably didn't envision giant spiders living in the Harad desert.

If you mainly like the hobby for the models then just buy whatever looks cool and work out army lists after you've painted and modelled to your heart's content.
Actually there are a rather limited number of LotR miniatures that I really like (Haradrim and the Spiders being amongst them), but the rules are delightfully simple and the fluff is extremely accessible to newbies. All in all this game is an absolutely brilliant starter to a wargaming hobby.

Notna_Highborn
10-07-2006, 18:07
Yes, I agree with both of you. It is a playable army. I'd like to have it myself. Lotr is the perfect wargaming hobby to start with, as you say, that's why I started it for some years ago. Now I have big armies from both good and evil.