PDA

View Full Version : Upset fantasy veteran

SexualPanda
29-06-2015, 03:40
So with games workshop ending warhammer fantasy ( the traditional game with square bases not skirmish etc...blah blah) to which I've put thousands of dollars into as well as hundreds of hours painting my armies im upset to say the least. Recently me and 8 buddies of mine have given Warmachine a try. It is mind blowing at how much we enjoy this game largely based off the fact that were now supporting a company that doesn't revolve their business plan on how much money they can extract from the players. PP support competitive play with tournaments, constant erratas new free to download scenarios that are active in the balancing process of the game and well thought out balanced releases.

yeah so thats basically it, i posted to shamelessly plug Warmachine and to recommend any other fellow pissed off warhammer players to give it a try. You wont regret it. Cause its actually a gaming company, not just a model company which GW turned out to be.

Icarus81
29-06-2015, 03:49
Good for you. Now take it over to general.

JDman
29-06-2015, 03:51
So with games workshop ending warhammer fantasy ( the traditional game with square bases not skirmish etc...blah blah) to which I've put thousands of dollars into as well as hundreds of hours painting my armies im upset to say the least. Recently me and 8 buddies of mine have given Warmachine a try. It is mind blowing at how much we enjoy this game largely based off the fact that were now supporting a company that doesn't revolve their business plan on how much money they can extract from the players. PP support competitive play with tournaments, constant erratas new free to download scenarios that are active in the balancing process of the game and well thought out balanced releases.

yeah so thats basically it, i posted to shamelessly plug Warmachine and to recommend any other fellow pissed off warhammer players to give it a try. You wont regret it. Cause its actually a gaming company, not just a model company which GW turned out to be.

People who quit the game just quit, they don't post about it. If anything you basically just affirmed to me that you will be back.

Plebian
29-06-2015, 03:55

Completely agree. I'm selling my WHFB and jumping fully into Warmachine and Infinity.

Gork or Possibly Mork
29-06-2015, 03:59
I don't see any rumour.....Just a spam bot posting a testimonial style promotional ad for PP.

wyvirn
29-06-2015, 04:08
Calling it now: Wasted on Arrival.

Itake
29-06-2015, 07:05
How is this news?

Lord Damocles
29-06-2015, 08:02
That's the spirit. Quit because you don't like Fantasy becoming a round based skirmish game, and go play a round based skirmish game.

Vazalaar
29-06-2015, 08:08
People who quit the game just quit, they don't post about it. If anything you basically just affirmed to me that you will be back.

Very true, it's the nature of the beast.

It is way to early to say you hate it and want to quit or whatever emotional statement is posted..

In a couple of weeks, when we know more about the rules, background, other armies aesthetics (hugly important, it is not that I found all previous Warhammer fantastic looking ;))

FaeLi-N
29-06-2015, 08:25
Do people post this kind of thread in a "talk me down from the ledge" sense?

I mean, what's the point?

Vertumne
29-06-2015, 08:28
Is GW-hate, Warmachine blatant advertising part of "News and Rumour" :eyebrows:

FaeLi-N
29-06-2015, 08:45
Ah, I see. Yeah, it seemed weird coming from someone who joined a year ago.

Spiney Norman
29-06-2015, 08:51
WFB veterans being upset is no longer news, we've known about the death of warhammer for about 6 months at some point. Even veterans like myself who are really annoyed they've killed off wfb are starting to tire of the ceaseless whining, maybe we need another's 'black hole' thread for 'post wfb grief' like the pricing one where people can moan to their hearts content without contaminating the rest of the site.

StygianBeach
29-06-2015, 08:56

Why am I reminded of that Wham! song...

Last Christmas I gave you my heart, the very next day you gave it away, this year to save me from tears I'll give it someone special.

All the best with PP, but if you think they will not drop stuff, maybe you should check out their history.

nonnopj
29-06-2015, 09:06
so funny that i received a lot of anger and hate (even on pm) because i said that it's a known fact that on PP forums they organize expeditions on ge forums to make proselitism.
ah the irony of it!

Inviato dal mio GT-I8200 utilizzando Tapatalk

Phoenix1986
29-06-2015, 09:07
I am a veteran of 14 years in warhammer, i have a huge collection of miniatures that span 4 armies for 8th edition.
Play the game regularly as well as Blood Bowl, LoTR and Mordheim.

The only things ive bought from GW in the past few years was a Skull Cannon, a Bastiladon and the End Times Books.

But i plan on getting the new starter and probably build on the Sigmarines.
Why?

Cause GW hasn't released a new game in a long time and at the end of the day ill still have my warhammer, mordheim, Lotr and blood bowl miniatures and all the people i currently play.

Also i played Warmachine before Hordes was a thing and i very much disliked the game.

We all need to board the hype train otherwise you'll just get left behind

Hoffa
29-06-2015, 09:56
Mods put this thread out of its misery.

Lord Skrolk
29-06-2015, 10:19
Jeez. Pls go smoke a pole, OP. This not the time or place.
Sorry but war machine models can go snack a 'd'. So bad. Fluff sucks bones too. The game might be great... But massed ranks of troops battling it out it ain't. Preposterous tiny waisted robots it is. All of which is irrelevant cos this ain't the place to preach. Warhammer rumours pls. Yawn

kaimarion
29-06-2015, 10:20
That's the spirit. Quit because you don't like Fantasy becoming a round based skirmish game, and go play a round based skirmish game.

It's pretty funny to think about but I do see where he's coming from.

Arnizipal
29-06-2015, 11:43
Calling it now: Wasted on Arrival.
Nah, that's where the quality threads go ;)

Good for you. Now take it over to general.

Done and done.

Arnizipal,

++ The Warseer Moderation Team ++

zoggin-eck
29-06-2015, 11:48
I'm not even sure how this belongs in Fantasy General. It's just a generic "play Warmachine" thread. Why not just post in the PP sections saying you like the game?

Treadhead_1st
29-06-2015, 12:14
I'm not even sure how this belongs in Fantasy General. It's just a generic "play Warmachine" thread. Why not just post in the PP sections saying you like the game?

You know, it is kind of odd. A lot of people are saying that Warmachine and Hordes are incredibly popular and great alternatives to Warhammer (they weren't, at least until Age of Sigmar rumours - skirmish and mass battles are not the same thing). Yet the PP section of this site has 6 normal threads from the last month, at a time when PP are releasing a major expansion to their most popular line (and gave long advance that this expansion was coming), including fan-favourite 'casters (Haley3 and Deneghra3) and new Colossals and Warhammer fans are the most disenfranchised or uncertain they have ever been.

I know that the PP forums are reputedly quite good (a lot of whining from Khador and Menoth players about their factions' balance, and everyone whining about Haley3 before her rules were released based on how unbalanced Haley2 was, combined with certain prolific and aggressive posters soured the experience for me) but I would have thought there would be more activity here on Warseer in light of just how much is going on right now in the Warmachine world.

As to the thread itself, I must say that if you like Fantasy Battles then Warmachine & Hordes are definitely not a good switch. Both are fun (well, I have not played Warmachine yet, looking for local players to get some games in but I like what I have read of the rules and on the forums - Cygnar and Circle for me I think!) but they are completely different types of games. The irony of this has already been pointed out, but it does amuse me the OP is upset the game is rumoured to be moving to a skirmish-based system which he hates...so is telling everyone to move to a skirmish-based system (which still has some really bad balance issues - try playing 'jacks or Man-O-Wars with Khador, see the complaints about Haley2 lists and the Meat Mountain dominating tournaments, the viability of Battle Engines and the majority of the Gargantuans and many, many others).

zoggin-eck
29-06-2015, 12:34
You know, it is kind of odd. A lot of people are saying that Warmachine and Hordes are incredibly popular and great alternatives to Warhammer (they weren't, at least until Age of Sigmar rumours - skirmish and mass battles are not the same thing). Yet the PP section of this site has 6 normal threads from the last month...

Sorry to cut you off mid-sentence there Treadhead, but I actually don't think it's that odd. As much as I can't stand Warmachine/Hordes, I do understand that there won't be much traffic here as it really is a GW-heavy forum. Look at truly general forums like Lead adventure for example, there will be dozens of games going through phases of popularity that barely get a single mention here. From modern games like Pulp Alley and Lion Rampant, to remakes of old games and even something as enduring as Hordes of the Things, you hardly see it here despite reading hundreds of threads/reports a month elsewhere.

It could of course be a blog vs forum thing. I think I've read a single mention of Gaslight here, whereas it's a blog and convention regular!

I do, however think that the odd "PP is so great!" thread does belong in the PP section.

Just Tony
29-06-2015, 14:37

And here you go. When I stopped playing it was when 8th rolled out. I simply stopped posting. I went years before I set foot on here again. I also didn't shout out a nice attention-hungry "I'maw doo eet, I swarz!!!1!!" thread.

Oh, the irony! It burns...

Do people post this kind of thread in a "talk me down from the ledge" sense?

I mean, what's the point?

I hope not. After sitting through so many attention grab attempts like this, I really just goad people on. I also hate the "How should I spend my money/collect my collection?" threads, but thankfully those usually pop up in the Transformers forum I go to more than here.

WFB veterans being upset is no longer news, we've known about the death of warhammer for about 6 months at some point. Even veterans like myself who are really annoyed they've killed off wfb are starting to tire of the ceaseless whining, maybe we need another's 'black hole' thread for 'post wfb grief' like the pricing one where people can moan to their hearts content without contaminating the rest of the site.

Yeah, not gonna happen unfortunately. Every topic that people are passionate about, no matter HOW off topic it is, will be flung into EVERY SINGLE THREAD on the site. Remember the big Brony push of '08? You couldn't have a thread anywhere without someone segueing into MLP:FIM.

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
30-06-2015, 09:03
Even if AoS and WM/H are similar in nearly every respect, so long as AoS maintains customizable characters I would rather play it than WM/H...even if the latter is better balanced, better written, or simply more robust.

Why? Because WM/H doesn't feel like playing *my* army. It feels like slapping together a prefab and painting it according to PP-approved paint by numbers. I know that's not the truth, but it's how it feels to me. Feels like someone else's creativity, not my own.

WHFB has always made me feel like things are my own. Even when I'm using the same VC army as everyone else. Even when my entire army is a substantially standard build. That "personality" is baked right into the cake, and it's a huge draw for me.

So I'm waiting to see what army construction is all about in AoS. If it's good I'll stick around. If it's too static well...not much stopping me from playing PP now is there?

gwarsh41
30-06-2015, 14:07
I just hope all these ship jumpers flood ebay at the same time. I want some cheap minis!

ShruikhanTK
01-07-2015, 03:56
Im willing to take any newer plastic releases off.your hands. Ill be archiving 8th forever :)

inquisitorsz
01-07-2015, 06:20
I love how everyone is jumping ship to Warmachine and Infinity... which is exactly the same type of small skirmish game that Age of Sigmar is trying to be/compete with.

Makes me chuckle every time I see it

UnsafeNormal
01-07-2015, 08:31
I love how everyone is jumping ship to Warmachine and Infinity... which is exactly the same type of small skirmish game that Age of Sigmar is trying to be/compete with.

Why wouldn't you go to the better established game system that has a thriving and active community rather than this abomination that doesn't even come with a real Ruleset?

Kaptajn_Congoboy
01-07-2015, 09:58
Even if AoS and WM/H are similar in nearly every respect, so long as AoS maintains customizable characters I would rather play it than WM/H...even if the latter is better balanced, better written, or simply more robust.

So far, it seems you will not get customizable characters. You will get more or less exactly what PP offers, but with less customization unless they add standard/musician etc add-on warscrolls.

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
01-07-2015, 10:02
So far, it seems you will not get customizable characters. You will get more or less exactly what PP offers, but with less customization unless they add standard/musician etc add-on warscrolls.
Customization of units was always illusory. Like darkshards vs dreadspears, it was always a choice between essentially separate units, and upgrades were either no brainers (lances and barding on black knights) or trap choices (light armour and spears on TK skeletons). That and unit sizes / formation, but this all seems to remain.

The customization I want is on characters. None has been seen so far, but starter kit characters are traditionally given fixed equipment. There is some hope...though I'm not holding my breath at this point.

GrandmasterWang
01-07-2015, 10:36

Lol... pwned.

Well played.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Matthias Thulmann
01-07-2015, 10:54
Another drama queen posting another rage quit thread during an edition change. Move along nothing to see here.

Bye. (See you back soon).

swordofglass
01-07-2015, 11:12
Another drama queen posting another rage quit thread during an edition change. Move along nothing to see here.

Bye. (See you back soon).

Yes, because the removal of points costs, stats, flanks, arcs, the magic phase, and army books is totally like the change from 7th to 8th where people got upset about some new spells and random charge rolls. Lol!

Customization... unit sizes / formation, but this all seems to remain.

How does unit size really remain? What really was unit size? What was the difference between 40 black orcs and 20? 40 of them had twice as many wounds... and cost you twice as much. In Age of Sigmar, 40 black orcs is the same as 20, is the same as 5. So I don't see how unit size really exists any more, not in the way it worked before.

Matthias Thulmann
01-07-2015, 11:17
Yes, because the removal of points costs, stats, flanks, arcs, the magic phase, and army books is totally like the change from 7th to 8th where people got upset about some new spells and random charge rolls. Lol!

Yep still changes that new editions bring. Yawn.

Lester
01-07-2015, 16:16
Ronnie isn't being even subtle about all of this:
https://www.facebook.com/ronnie.renton/posts/10154135432404762

stroller
02-07-2015, 12:05
So with games workshop ending warhammer fantasy ( the traditional game with square bases not skirmish etc...blah blah) to which I've put thousands of dollars into as well as hundreds of hours painting my armies im upset to say the least.

OK. I get this. I'm not exactly delighted myself.

Recently me and 8 buddies of mine have given Warmachine a try. It is mind blowing at how much we enjoy this game

Good for you. I'm glad you and your buddies are doing something you enjoy.

largely based off the fact that were now supporting a company that doesn't revolve their business plan on how much money they can extract from the players.

Right. Here's where it goes squirrely. 1) You enjoy the game BECAUSE PP "care"? I tend to enjoy games because I like the models, the setting and the rules (not necessarily in that order).

PP support competitive play with tournaments, constant erratas new free to download scenarios that are active in the balancing process of the game and well thought out balanced releases.

Good for them. I'm happy that you feel "loved" while you buy your stuff. That's good customer service: make the customer feel good as s/he parts with their cash, and they'll be happier to come back and spend more. My local GW manager does that too, and so does my local garage, supermarket, hardware store... you get the picture.

yeah so thats basically it, i posted to shamelessly plug Warmachine and to recommend any other fellow pissed off warhammer players to give it a try. You wont regret it.
I gave it a try: spent real money and real time on it. Don't like (most of) the models; didn't like the game. It's now sitting in the loft waiting for me to get round to it on ebay. I'm glad YOU like it: I didn't.

Cause its actually a gaming company, not just a model company which GW turned out to be.
Opinions on that have varied. No, I'm not wildly keen on several of the things GW have decided to do, but I don't perceive PP any less hard nosed about business decisions than anyone else. The way they put it across may be "friendlier", but the name of the game is still: sell stuff; make money.

Col. Tartleton
02-07-2015, 12:23
Ronnie isn't being even subtle about all of this:
https://www.facebook.com/ronnie.renton/posts/10154135432404762

On the plus side these Sigmarines are going to make great Basileans.

jet_palero
02-07-2015, 12:47
I'm pretty annoyed by all this AoS stuff, but I'll keep my eyes open. if it turns out WFB is truly dead. . . well, I always liked King's Of War rules better anyway. now maybe people will be willing to give it more of a chance.

duffybear1988
02-07-2015, 15:03

Except AoS is barely a ruleset at all.

aprilmanha
02-07-2015, 15:11
I gave it a try: spent real money and real time on it. Don't like (most of) the models; didn't like the game. It's now sitting in the loft waiting for me to get round to it on ebay. I'm glad YOU like it: I didn't.

If you happen to be in the UK I'll be looking forward to it :) I always spend to much on local ebay listings :D

jtrowell
02-07-2015, 16:59
If we have to compare AoS to other games, the one that it reming me the most would be Warlord from Reaper. It's also a warband type game with a similar scale where you use your individual models, but it has point and despite having a quick start rules of only 2 pages seem much more viable at first glance than AoS (disclaimer : I never player Warlord)

Lol, I realise that it would probably be easier to use GW models as proxies for Reaper's game that try to balance AoS ourselves ... :rolleyes:

ChrisIronBrow
04-07-2015, 01:42

I quit fantasy and 40k for warmachine 4 years ago. I haven't been back since. I'm never coming back. Warmachine is simply a better game, produced by a better company.

Denny
04-07-2015, 08:19
I quit fantasy and 40k for warmachine 4 years ago. I haven't been back since. I'm never coming back. Warmachine is simply a better game, produced by a better company.

Yet you are posting in (and therefore reading) a Warhammer forum, and you have a Warhammer based signature . . . ;)
How do you define 'quit'?

I mean, I quit smoking a few years back. I don't still carry around empty fag packets.

ChrisIronBrow
04-07-2015, 19:08
Yet you are posting in (and therefore reading) a Warhammer forum, and you have a Warhammer based signature . . . ;)
How do you define 'quit'?

I mean, I quit smoking a few years back. I don't still carry around empty fag packets.

I'm here for the sheer pleasure of watching GW implode. I only know about AoS because there are threads poping up on the privateer press forums discussing how angry WHFB players are asking for demo games of warmachine.

It's really quite simple 6 year olds play AoS, grown ups eventually graduate to a real game and probably choose warmachine.