PDA

View Full Version : Have GW run out of ideas for units for their 40k armies?

Poncho160
01-07-2015, 10:28
With the release of the Dark Angels Codex we once again see a new book with zero new units in it.

This has been a trend we have seen a lot lately. If we exclude the Mechanicum and Harlequin books, which were effectively new armies, when was the last time we saw a brand new unit with a model released for a 40k army?

Dark Angels, Space Marines, Grey Knights, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Daemonkin and Space Wolves all had, unless I am mistaken no new units in them and the only models released were new sculpts of old minis.

The last truly new unit I can remember was the Tyranid Tyrannocyte and that was released a while ago now.

For example the last new Space Marine unit was the two AA rhino variants and that was nearly two years ago. What else could they add to an all ready unit heavy Codex?

All their sculpting manpower might have been put into the new AoS release for the last few years, but It seems to me that GW have run out of ideas for new 40k units and are just making new sculpts, am I wrong? :)

Spiney Norman
01-07-2015, 10:43
All their sculpting manpower might have been put into the new AoS release for the last few years, but It seems to me that GW have run out of ideas for new 40k units and are just making new sculpts, am I wrong? :)

Yeah I think this is the reason, 40k has obviously been on 'tick-over' mode since the release of 7th (though admittedly they've released an entirely new army with AdMech and a completely new set of models for harlies, so that's not entirely true). They are launching an entirely new game with Age of Sigmar, this is not your normal new edition with a revamp of the core rules and everyone keeps using the same models, I have a feeling we are going to be seeing a lot of new AoS models over the next couple of months as they try and make a splash with the new game.

Rogue Star
01-07-2015, 10:50
Do they really need new units? Dark Angels got a Chapter Upgrade set and Interrogator-Chaplain. The new plastic Terminator Librarian lets you lead your Deathwing with a plastic character. Essentially, the entire army, as with most Space Marines, is already entirely in plastic. When the Devastator squad got updated, Dark Angels got access to grav-cannons, etc.

Meanwhile, armies like the Eldar have Howling Banshees, Dark Reapers, Striking Scorpions, Fire Dragon and Swooping Hawks in finecast. The Tau Empire has two troop choices released 15 years ago. There is no boxed set for Ork Deffkoptas, nor updated Warbuggies or Wartrakks. The Dark Eldar could use plastic Mandrakes or Incubi, along with clampacks for their characters.

I'm sorry, I just don't think new units for the Dark Angels should be GW's priority...

El Torro
01-07-2015, 10:59
It's a good thing that GW don't remove units from codices, as this would annoy people who've spent time and money on building those units. The downside is that they can't really release many new units as it would just bloat the codex. Personally I don't see this as a major problem, generally speaking most codices already have a good diversity of units (though internal and external balance can always be improved).

Karhedron
01-07-2015, 11:09
All of the above armies are pretty well established and it is hard to see what new units might be added. There are no obvious tactical holes to be filled. 7th edition seems to be a new paradigm with super-heavies now a core part of the game and super-detachments with stackable bonuses being the order of the day. As a result we have had either new armies for smaller factions (Harlies, AdMech, Knights) or updates to existing armies to bring them into line with this new vision.

7th edition is only a year old. At the current rate of progress, it is hard to see it taking more than a year to update the remaining codices. What happens then is anyone's guess.

Dark Primus
01-07-2015, 11:15
Still plenty of models that need to be resculpted for various armies in my opinion, for example the Chaos Daemons army, the Khorne Hounds, the Slaanesh Fiends, Nurgle Beasts are ugly, Chaos Furies.
But completey new units... Well... In the Chaos Space Marine 3rd edition Bloodletters used to have 3+ armor saves, maybe they could do an armored version of Bloodletters.

Lord Damocles
01-07-2015, 11:24
'If we ignore the new units there haven't been any new units for a while'.

Traditionally not every Codex update brought new units with it either (or in the case of Marines contented itself with re-skinning existing units in a new colour).

Poncho160
01-07-2015, 11:28
I'd argue that' both we and GW need to units and therefore completely new models much more than resculptd of already exsisting units.

For us Without new units the game can becime stagnant as nothing new and exciting us released and we can resent buying a new codex that has no new units in it, just re-tweaked rules for old models. For them, I am sure a new unit will make a lot more money than re-releasing a new sculpt of an old unit ever will, just for the reason that players are less likely to buy a replacement for a model they already have.

I am feeling that the creative juices are running out at GW, if they can't even think up a new unit for their biggest seeking army, something that would make them a lot if money, something has gone a bit wrong. It gets worse when they can't think of a new unit for at least 5-6 of their armies.

They promote themselves as a miniature company, but when was the last time they released a truly new unit or model for one of their existing armies (excluding, knights, Mechanicum and harlequins)?

Denny
01-07-2015, 11:57
I'd argue that' both we and GW need to units and therefore completely new models much more than resculptd of already exsisting units.

Not sure I agree. Take Eldar for example. What would you add?
Another Grav tank? They already have four which between them cover pretty much any battlefield role.
Another Aspect? Again, I think everything is covered.
More Wraiths?

Honestly, I'd much rather see new plastic Reapers than a new unit. YMMV.

Itsacon
01-07-2015, 12:04
Since the background of the Imperium is that it's a society where technology is worshipped and hardly understood, adding new units is kind of weird....

Beppo1234
01-07-2015, 12:24
Since the background of the Imperium is that it's a society where technology is worshipped and hardly understood, adding new units is kind of weird....

indeed... I think if we start seeing new stuff en-mass, it's going to be from new factions

Iron_Lord
01-07-2015, 12:36
Another Grav tank? They already have four which between them cover pretty much any battlefield role.

Their anti-air tank is currently Forgeworld-only though.

For example the last new Space Marine unit was the two AA rhino variants and that was nearly two years ago. What else could they add to an all ready unit heavy Codex?

Don't forget the two HQ tanks - though those are Warhammer World only.

Vector Strike
01-07-2015, 13:57
I hope not. Tau has only 25 unit entries. We could get some new fellas around!

Poncho160
01-07-2015, 14:04

Last I heard Tau were getting a new sculpt of the battle suits and warriors. Again nothing new.

Denny
01-07-2015, 14:12

I think some armies (like Tau) could benefit from new units; Dark Eldar for example have nowhere near the number of unit choices compared to Eldar.

But the long established factions are pretty much spoilt for choice.
Do we really want another Rhino variant?
Or marines who wear Legatus armour over their centurion armour over their power armour?

Haravikk
01-07-2015, 14:18
I agree with those opposed to new units just for the sake of it; I mean, aside from the Flyers (which we only needed because we don't have access to other flyers or AA except via allies), the Dark Angels didn't really need any of the other new models they got last time around, and it was a pretty hefty release with four multi-unit kits. Not that they don't add anything, but none of the rest were strictly necessary, they just added some new elite options mostly.

It's also worth noting that 7th edition has rolled around really quickly, as have a lot of these new codexes. I can't help but wish they'd put some of the same energy into the armies that really need; Eldar got a pretty pathetic release for 7th (codex isn't really an improvement IMO, while the new jetbikes are nice, the lack shining spears and some characters was a huge mistake), especially considering how many of their basic aspect warriors remain long overdue for an update.

Of course that's not to mention Sisters of Battle, who remain in dire need of an actual update; one plastic kit to cover the main units, plus a codex that has more than five minutes work put into it would constitute a release. Obviously much more is really needed (and wildly overdue), but hey; no more complaining about how the Dark Angels didn't get anything new :p

Adyger
01-07-2015, 14:18
Didn't the Space Wolves get a new flyer with their last addition? And while Logan wasn't new, his chariot rules certainly are.

Karhedron
01-07-2015, 14:31
Didn't the Space Wolves get a new flyer with their last addition? And while Logan wasn't new, his chariot rules certainly are.

Very true. And while the Dreadnought is not strictly a new unit, Murderfang and the Axe/shield combo are new options.

I don't think that GW has slowed down the rate of new model releases for 40K. It is just that the higher rate of codex refresh means each codex has fewer new models (apart from the all-new codices of course).

Poncho160
01-07-2015, 15:22

Good point, forgot about the flyer :)

Didn't include the Dreadnought as it is just another rehash of an old unit and I've been trying to forget about the Santa sleigh! Haha

Still Standing
01-07-2015, 15:27
Being as FW and GW are one company, and FW are constantly adding new units to the game, I think the premise of the OP is obsurd.

Horus38
01-07-2015, 15:40
With the release of the Dark Angels Codex we once again see a new book with zero new units in it.

Not having new units constantly added is a one of the main things that attracts me to GW over warmahordes.

Snake Tortoise
01-07-2015, 15:44
I don't think new units are of high importance at the moment. I'd rather they spent their time updating the old stuff, like that stupid looking ork warbuggy that must have been around since the mid 90s and looks god awful now- enough that the entry may as well not be in the codex for me. I can see how a collector who has used the same army for a long time and has everything would be keen to see new unit types, but then why not just start a new faction?

I'd like to see more plastic HQ models. Something like a plastic chaos lord/sorcerer in power armour with plenty of weapon options would surely be a decent seller, particularly if the torso fights neatly onto a chaos biker legs so you can use the kit for mounted characters. Orks could use a similar kit too.

lordbeefy
01-07-2015, 16:50
The last couple years has seen an avalanche of new models, knights, fliers, tauros, slab shield ogryns, anti air tanks, harlequins, mechanicus, orkanauts, mek gunz then there are new sculpts of existing models librarians, commissars etc etc. Then we have the scenery pieces and such. I really cant see how they have been reducing the pace or orinality....far from it i cant keep up with it all.

Inquisitor Shego
01-07-2015, 17:55
I actually agree with the OP. I looked at Centurions and scratched my head, as GW struggled to justify a terminator/dreadnought love child. I think a bigger problem however is the accelerated rate of codex releases. Before, a codex lasted 4-5 years. Now it's 1-2 and boy are they struggling to include new items. In fact, we've reached a point where some choices were getting removed, mainly due to sour grapes over Polandball's superior moulding communist technologies.

insectum7
01-07-2015, 18:54

There was just a landslide of new sculpts and releases for the brand new AdMech/Skitarii range. Those are all new 40K models. Maybe instead of building a superfluous new Space Marine unit, they aggressively diversified their 40K range with a whole new faction/s to play.

Ancient armies like Space Marines and Eldar really don't need any new units.

Charistoph
01-07-2015, 19:08
The last couple years has seen an avalanche of new models, knights, fliers, tauros, slab shield ogryns, anti air tanks, harlequins, mechanicus, orkanauts, mek gunz then there are new sculpts of existing models librarians, commissars etc etc. Then we have the scenery pieces and such. I really cant see how they have been reducing the pace or orinality....far from it i cant keep up with it all.

And yet, Blood Angels got Tactical Marines and Terminators? Necrons got a very-over-priced plastic Overlord. Eldar and Daemonkin got...? There have been more resprues over the last year than brand new units. Not that respruing is a bad thing, some rather needed, namely the plastic HQs, but did Blood Angels really need their own Tactical kit when one the generic one was released about a year before and Assault Marines could use it even more and with Jump Marines being a Blood Angel theme?

Scammel
01-07-2015, 19:21
Is this a serious question? Of course they haven't run out of ideas. Why do you think underwear gets so collectively twisted every occasion something big gets released? For all their faults, the design team are the masters of introducing units so far out of our mental comfort zones that the community reacts in the way it does. So, so many wishlisting threads are simply for new variants of existing units, or units from editions past, as opposed to actual new stuff.

That's not to say that a great many of these ideas are particularly good, but at least they are new ideas.

AngryAngel
01-07-2015, 19:39

indeed... I think if we start seeing new stuff en-mass, it's going to be from new factions

What ? Since when has that ever been an issue for GW ? They just use their GW doublespeak, there has never been a new unit released, the new unit has always been there. Otherwise what is the stormwolf ? Or the Axe shield dread ? Or the helfrost guns, or gravguns, centurions, those abortion DA speeders ? For never making new technology they sure do find an awful lot they always had, yet we just heard about.

Beppo1234
01-07-2015, 19:57
What ? Since when has that ever been an issue for GW ? They just use their GW doublespeak, there has never been a new unit released, the new unit has always been there. Otherwise what is the stormwolf ? Or the Axe shield dread ? Or the helfrost guns, or gravguns, centurions, those abortion DA speeders ? For never making new technology they sure do find an awful lot they always had, yet we just heard about.

sure they retcon all the time. I just think that the next time we see a full overhaul, like those over the course of 6th edition, will be fewer and further between, and probably associated with a new faction or resurrection of an old one. Otherwise, I expect smaller releases for existing codex updates as they come up for a new edition. A couple factions need a few more units to get the plastic treatment, and all of 40k needs a lot more clamp packs (it's what I miss the most... being able to drop buy a store and make a 'small' impulse buy, that doesn't really exist anymore).

when was the last time we got a BIG model? Seems like we haven't gotten anything from the large scale GW production for a while? (ie. the knight sized model production)

Inquisitor Kallus
01-07-2015, 19:59
Theres plenty to do, lots of units to build and paint. Start a new army? New units are good, but then again new sculpts of old models are great too. I can see your point to an extent, but it seems like a slight rant at GW. They have the highest number of models and kits for a wargame company, period. Like you said, it's not just 40k and the new 'fantasy' needed sculpters working on it. Too many releases, not enough releases/new models. Im sure they have ideas for new units, though a lot of people have been up in arms about newer stuff; SM flyers/centurions etc

insectum7
01-07-2015, 20:00
when was the last time we got a BIG model? Seems like we haven't gotten anything from the large scale GW production for a while? (ie. the knight sized model production)

There was the re-packaged Knight with a new weapons sprue, but I think that only half counts.

AngryAngel
01-07-2015, 20:05

sure they retcon all the time. I just think that the next time we see a full overhaul, like those over the course of 6th edition, will be fewer and further between, and probably associated with a new faction or resurrection of an old one. Otherwise, I expect smaller releases for existing codex updates as they come up for a new edition. A couple factions need a few more units to get the plastic treatment, and all of 40k needs a lot more clamp packs (it's what I miss the most... being able to drop buy a store and make a 'small' impulse buy, that doesn't really exist anymore).

I think, we agree on this. I doubt we'll see another big model perhaps for the current year, if I had to wager much of their effort is tied up in AoS and the new models to be released there.

malisteen
01-07-2015, 20:44
There have been enough arbitrary new units added over the last few editions while faction staples were left to rot with painfully outdated models. I can't tell you how much I would have preferred new plastic chaos marines and cult marines matching the quality and proportions of the dark vengeance models to the dinobots that we actually got with the last chaos marine codex.

We're seeing new models release faster than ever before, but new codexes are releasing even faster then that. And they're releasing faster because factions with well established and modern product line aren't getting too much new. Back in third or fourth edition, we wouldn't even have seen new eldar or dark angel or necron books this quickly to begin with. What's changed isn't so much the rate of new models being released for factions, but rather a willingness to release updated codeces without waiting for a bunch of new models to be ready at the same time, allowing them to put design work into truely new stuff like knights and the mechanicus while still revising the rules for existing factions.

gitburna
01-07-2015, 21:06
There's only so much you can keep adding. As some have said, the Centurions step a little into the territory of both dreadnoughts and terminators, though the addition of the brand new gravcannon helped transform it from a Meh into a must-have.

Its not easy to invent something that fills a niche that another pre-exisitng unit doesn't already fill.

The various Knights (including Wraithknights), Ad-Mech and Harlequins, however, change the whole game a little by pushing the envelope of what you can expect to face up to. A Terminator (supposedly the elite of the elite) with a storm bolter and a standard powerfist by comparison just doesn't seem all that scary.

insectum7
01-07-2015, 21:42
Next codex they'll just re-release the Dreadnought model with a Grav-Cannon option.

Poncho160
01-07-2015, 21:50
Being as FW and GW are one company, and FW are constantly adding new units to the game, I think the premise of the OP is obsurd.

I discounted FW mainly because their minis are out of a lot of people's price range.

It just seems to me that GW have run out of ideas for new units for their established armies and are making an effort to sell their poor selling ranges by boosting their combat skills via codex buffs and formation bonuses.

Making all of their models usefull is in no way a bad thing and I approve of that decision, but where does that leave the future of the game? If they can't think of one new unit for the past three marine codexes, it would seem that their creative juices have stopped flowing.

Eldar have basically been the same for over a decade as well. The Dreadknight has been their only new unit in a long long time. I was expecting at least a new Aspect Warrior released with their latest book.

Unless any person can correct me, I can't remember a period when we have had so many new books but hardly any new units.

Losing Command
01-07-2015, 22:01
I think it is better for GW to update not-plastic models to plastic, where possible with new weapon options (a rather smart move, I bet there are a lot of the new Devastator kits being sold right now) rather than shoe-horning in completely new units like centurions. I think it's not that they haven't enough ideas for new things, but rather that the ones they had were poorly executed : mutilators sound damn awesome on paper, but one look at the models (and their cost) and most people want to forget them so much the unit might as well not be in the CSM codex :p

There are probably a lot of people who would very much like plastic models for things like cult chaos marines, eldar aspect warriors, kommandos, tankbustas, standard mek guns, Sisters of Battle, Incubi, mandrakes, Vespid, etc. Saying that veteran players already own all those models anyway so updating them is a waste of effort is rediculus, unless a unit was insanely OP at one point and only needed few models did people buy those models. I mean how many people do you know who own a lot of Kommandos ? How many Wraithguard did you see before the got a plastic kit ?

Lord Damocles
01-07-2015, 22:20
I discounted FW mainly because their minis are out of a lot of people's price range.
So are non-Forgeworld models.

It just seems to me that GW have run out of ideas for new units for their established armies and are making an effort to sell their poor selling ranges by boosting their combat skills via codex buffs and formation bonuses.
So Marines are 'poor selling' now?

Making all of their models usefull is in no way a bad thing and I approve of that decision, but where does that leave the future of the game? If they can't think of one new unit for the past three marine codexes, it would seem that their creative juices have stopped flowing.
There were multiple new units across the last three Marine Codexes.

Eldar have basically been the same for over a decade as well. The Dreadknight has been their only new unit in a long long time. I was expecting at least a new Aspect Warrior released with their latest book.
A decade, eh?

Autarch, Illic, Spirirseer, Yriel, Wraithblades, Crimson Hunter, Hemlock, Night Spinner...

Poncho160
01-07-2015, 22:35
I meant models not ranges sorry, like the boost to the marines AA units, which I have never seen anyone use, or the boost to the Eldar Aspect warriors :). Making units usefull is not a bad thing in anyway, but it is hardly original.

And I might be wrong but as far as I know, there have been no brand new original units, in any if the three latest marine books (BA, Vanilla and DA) :).

A bit of an exaggeration with the Eldar as well, haha :)

insectum7
01-07-2015, 22:41
And I might be wrong but as far as I know, there have been no brand new original units, in any if the three latest marine books (BA, Vanilla and DA) :).

So their "creative juices stopped flopped flowing" because instead of bolstering already robust codexes with even more units, GW decided to release a new faction of entirely original units and sculpts?

Malefactum
02-07-2015, 05:57
They promote themselves as a miniature company, but when was the last time they released a truly new unit or model for one of their existing armies (excluding, knights, Mechanicum and harlequins)?1) Excluding three new armies is nonsense2) They released new models with every Codex. Like you said, they are a miniatures company. They did release new miniatures as a miniature company would do. Releasing new units would belong to a game company.

Malefactum
02-07-2015, 06:06
Their anti-air tank is currently Forgeworld-only though.This model was removed from sales quite some time ago.

ehlijen
02-07-2015, 06:18
There comes a point when established armies shouldn't get any more new units. You'll either end up making too many competing entries, or you'll erode the faction identity.

A lot of factions now have flyer transports, which makes eldar tanks a whole lot less interesting for example. Being the only faction with AV12 units that could move more than 12" used to be special and encourage tactics based around it. Now it's mundane, sliding to useless in comparison.

Sometimes changes to the core rules can bring ideas for new units, such as AAA or flyers. But if a change to the rules is added solely to justify new units, that can be problematic in its own right.

As for the output of GW: They are releasing books at a never before seen rate. I am not surprised that their sculptors cannot keep up, and I'm pretty sure the total output hasn't fallen that much compared to 5th ed days. It's just that back then they only needed 2-3 launch support ranges a year against 4-6 now.

Still Standing
02-07-2015, 07:46
The sculptors have been very busy with AoS for some time, it would seem.

Poncho160
02-07-2015, 08:18
The sculptors have been very busy with AoS for some time, it would seem.

That was my first thought too :).

It would seem that most people are quite content with getting old models made into new plastic versions, which is a good thing for us :).

Still Standing
02-07-2015, 09:02
Nagash, Mortarchs, Ghosts, skeletal flying dudes with giant swords.
Glotkin, Nurgle magot characters, Blightkings, Khorne version of Blightkings.
Vermin Lord, giant gatlin gun Rat Ogres, rat ogre + warlord character.

Entire Skitarii + Cult Mechanicus armies.
Entire Harlequin range.
Dark Angels clampack Chaplain.
Marine clam pack Terminator Librarian.
Blood Angels Tactical Squad.
Blood Angel, Dark Angel, Space Wolf, Ultramarine clampack upgrade sets.
Space Wolf flyer, Santa Claws, new Dreadnought.
Eldar flying Farseer/Warlock clampack, Jetbikes.

We've had a LOT of new models over the last 12 months or so. I'm sure I've forgotten a few too.

Greavous
02-07-2015, 11:23
coming from an art/design point of view.

its hard to make new and origional ideas, EVERYTHING! has inspiration from something else the hard part is making it different enough to not be called copying (also copyright).
and even then if it is different enough to not get called copying you will still get people saying "that looks too much like X or is too simliar to the old X model" and refuse to buy it.

with armies like space marines and eldar its 'easier' to make new units as they are about the wargear and less about the base model e.g. the new devastor (?) marines with the tank grinder drills looks new yet have the same base model almost as every other marine.
now do the same with tyranids and they struggle to not simply look like every other model, big bulky its a carnifex, small and scuttles its a hormagaunt (in perspective to the average player).

most armies are themed so have a constant running through them like tyranid scything talons, space marine shoulders/helmets, eldars 'elegance'. so some leeway can be made for specifics you'd expect on a unit. it annoys me more than anything when they take an existing model change 1 part and say it completly new (how many tanks use the rhino base?).

also wasnt the tau XV104 Riptide pretty new?

itcamefromthedeep
02-07-2015, 15:47
The 6e Codexes are all pretty new. Under the previous 4-year paradigm, none of 6e books would have been redone by this point, and there would still be a few 5e books hanging around. As it stands, Tau are one of the oldest codex releases in the range.

---

The Tyrannocyte/Sporocyst/Mucolid kit and the Maleceptor/Toxicrene kit were still within the last 12 months. The Neurothrope is arguably a replacement for the Doom entry. Then again, the Tyrannocyte and Sporocyst also look like replacements for the old Mycetic Spore entry.

---

They're in a "filling in the blanks" period for 40k, which has been something a lot of players have been perennially screaming for. Even within that, there have been fresh ideas thrown in with minis for some very (very) old ideas from the GW catalog.

---

I'd be up for some Chapter Serfs. Something to bring the connection between Marines and their humanity to the tabletop and remind people of the unfairness inherent in what the marines actually represent juxtaposed with their self-image. It could reinforce their place as the enforcers of a society where the many and the poor are the tools of the few and powerful.

I miss the punk elements of this game (class struggle and unfair distribution of the benefits of technology). It's been too long since the literature for the game emphasized the disconnect between how the world is and what the people in it believe about themselves.

InstantKarma
02-07-2015, 16:21

This has been a trend we have seen a lot lately. If we exclude the Mechanicum and Harlequin books, which were effectively new armies, when was the last time we saw a brand new unit with a model released for a 40k army?

Dark Angels, Space Marines, Grey Knights, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Daemonkin and Space Wolves all had, unless I am mistaken no new units in them and the only models released were new sculpts of old minis.

The last truly new unit I can remember was the Tyranid Tyrannocyte and that was released a while ago now.

SWs got their flyer, and Santa Claus got his sled.

Also to be fair, 6th was not very old when it 'became' 7th. DAs got new models with their prior codex which was not even 3 years old when this new one was released. Regular SMs also got their Centurions in 6th.

xerxeshavelock
02-07-2015, 20:49
This is where the old Epic influence really worked. By having the larger scaled game it meant a more logical distribution of unit types. They didn't need to fumble around for new ideas as they sometimes seem to. There needed to be a solution for heavy tanks. A solution for anti-air. A solution for built up areas. And it didn't end up with a bunch of flyers armed with Storm Bolters and short ranged weapons.

Beppo1234
02-07-2015, 22:17
I'd be up for some Chapter Serfs. Something to bring the connection between Marines and their humanity to the tabletop and remind people of the unfairness inherent in what the marines actually represent juxtaposed with their self-image. It could reinforce their place as the enforcers of a society where the many and the poor are the tools of the few and powerful.

I've been wanting wide ranging access to servitors for a while under this line of reasoning. Servitors as a heavy weapon option for marines (instead of a marine carrying the heavy weapon), servitors for guard weapon teams etc etc etc. Servitors for every purpose that requires actual squad members to change up. For marines it would fill a lot of those fluff gaps (ie. how can a mere 1000 and change marines man and maintain all the stuff the chapter has access to? like who drives all those rhinos and landraiders?). They also visually represent that technology gone too far aspect of everything imperial, and really fill out the game visually to make it appear as if codex artwork iMO.

shagah
03-07-2015, 13:27
2) They released new models with every Codex.

Not quite, Grey Knights did not receive any new models/rescalps/plastic conversions with their 7th Ed Codex, but I think they were the only ones

Ironbone
07-07-2015, 15:07
mainly due to sour grapes over Polandball's superior moulding communist technologies.
Should I feel bad about it :p ?

Reaper85
07-07-2015, 17:23
ah... but you're all missing something here... what about me and the other 14 people waiting for the sisters of battle to be updated... huh? selfish buggers ;)

Ricky
08-07-2015, 02:47
New armies like Harlies and Admech while horrible old kits like the jet bikes and ass marines get updated. It's win win. They don't call this place whine seer for nuthin it seems.

full_blooded_ork
08-07-2015, 03:10

Space wolves got flyers. But I agree, expecially with the price of the new books, they should add new stuff. Hell for my Dark Eldar, all they did was remove stuff. I mean to many new units would overcrowd sure, but they could add like 2.

Mawduce
08-07-2015, 09:01
I don't see how they could run out of ideas with the Abhumans they just completely ignore despite being referenced in past books and novels. Or how they remove entire parts of the universes history so their favorite little boys like the Ultra Marines or the Grey Knights look even better.

clodax
08-07-2015, 23:56
As a Eldar player I really don't want new units. I want them to update old models, maybe with new weapon options. Anything new will dilute an already bloated codex. If they had new models for old units I would still buy them specially if they had new options. I would like them to give new units to armies that really need new options like sisters even though I don't play them.

Samsonov
09-07-2015, 00:36
They might not have run out of idea, but with everything in plastic they need make sure that idea will sell far more today than required when releasing in metal or resin.

theexodite
09-07-2015, 00:41
Hello
Didn't the space wolves get a new flyer? Dark angels got interigator chaplain. as for space marines they Are getting new sculpts because some of them are really old. :shifty:
-The exodite

AngryAngel
09-07-2015, 00:57
New armies like Harlies and Admech while horrible old kits like the jet bikes and ass marines get updated. It's win win. They don't call this place whine seer for nuthin it seems.

Considering they pretty much squatted all of fantasy, it is possible you'll never see new sisters. I'm not saying this to be mean, but to have you mentally prepared, GW is no ones friend. If GW was an ice cream, the flavor would be old sweaty socks.

Samsonov
10-07-2015, 18:56
Thinking about it, perhaps the main reason they are putting out endless codex without new units is to get all the money they can out of the committed hardcore followers before they AoS 40K, solving the problem of what will be in the next load of codex's after all the 7th ed ones are up to date.

itcamefromthedeep
10-07-2015, 19:33
I'd suggest that they probably don't have the same attitude toward 40k that they do toward Fantasy, one of those being a far larger piece of the company's portfolio.

However, Games Workshop has become unpredictable in the last few years. They've always done things that haven't made sense to me, but now they're doing things that don't even seem to follow the internal logic the company seems to have had up until recently.