PDA

View Full Version : Here are the 9 realms:

Sheriff0fNottingham
01-07-2015, 20:33
https://www.facebook.com/warhammerwiesbaden/photos/a.984168548282405.1073741834.713968311969098/986806834685243/?type=3&theater

* Azyr - Heavns
* Aqshy - Fire
* Shyish - Death
* Ghyran - Life
* Hysh - Light
* Ghur - Beasts
* Chamon - Metal
* Ulgu - Shadows
* Chaos

Nagash, Gorkamorka, Grimnir and Lord Tyrion mentioned.

I see 9 Splatbook/campaigns coming our way for the next years.

Races confirmed:
* Orruks (Orks)
* Seraphon (Lizardfolk)
* Red Slayers
* Aelf (Elf)
* Steamhead Duardin (Dwarfs)
* Ogors (Ogre)
* Grots (Goblins)
* Brayherds (Beastmen)
* Skaven
* Daemon Hosts (Demons)

mattjgilbert
01-07-2015, 20:36
That was my guess: The upcoming books will be based on each realm with campaigns, painting guides, scenarios, realm specific scenery rules and new war scrolls and formations for each.

Irraka
01-07-2015, 20:40
Representing the worlds the Winds of Magic?

If that's the case, it would be strange. The Winds of Magic Came From Chaos, why they would form their own worlds?

Hun
01-07-2015, 20:46
The winds of magic were bound to the incarnates. I'm guessing they can shape their realms in the same way as the chaos gods.

Quetzalcoatl
01-07-2015, 20:50
Representing the worlds the Winds of Magic?

If that's the case, it would be strange. The Winds of Magic Came From Chaos, why they would form their own worlds?

"Sigmar Says" :D

Konrad von Carstein
01-07-2015, 21:18
So the VC reside in Shyish now?

Col. Tartleton
01-07-2015, 21:44
So presumably:

High Elves - Hysh - Tyrion
Wood Elves - Ghyran - Alarielle
Dark Elves - Ulgu - Malekith
Orcs & Goblins - Ghur - Grimgor (Gorkamorka)
Empire - Azyr - Karl Franz (Sigmar)
Dwarfs - Chamon - Thorgrim (Grungni)
Dwarfs - Aqshy - Ungrim (Grimnir)
Undead - Shyish - Nagash

So perhaps we've really only lost Bretonnia to an Empire merger and we've gained a second Dwarf faction?

mattjgilbert
01-07-2015, 21:51
Bad/Evil/Chaos dwarfs?

Col. Tartleton
01-07-2015, 22:04
Bad/Evil/Chaos dwarfs?

Maybe we're getting like Steam Punk Armor Dwarfs and Slayer Barbarian Dwarfs.

If there are Chaos Dwarfs they're on the other side of the fence with Skaven, Beastmen, Warriors, and Demons, etc.

The bearded one
01-07-2015, 22:52
This is kinda my biggest fear - even more than poor rules and such.

The premise sounds rather generic high fantasy. "There's like half a dozen cool realms with magic stuff. And one is of the good guys with big cities with spires that reach the clouds and godking Sigmar rules it and everything's made of Sigmarite." I can come up with a more interesting setting over lunch, but the setting as in these links is really a dime-a-dozen fantasy world.

MiyamatoMusashi
01-07-2015, 23:00
I think my favourite is "Sigmarabulum". It's even better than "Sigmarite". Although "Bloodsecrator" runs it close.

Col. Tartleton
01-07-2015, 23:19

The premise sounds rather generic high fantasy. "There's like half a dozen cool realms with magic stuff. And one is of the good guys with big cities with spires that reach the clouds and godking Sigmar rules it and everything's made of Sigmarite." I can come up with a more interesting setting over lunch, but the setting as in these links is really a dime-a-dozen fantasy world.

Essentially all the cancerous stupidity that has been tacked on to 40k gradually over the last three three editions has suddenly punched Fantasy in the face.

So it feels like GW is trolling us for liking their game.

Sigmarium would be tolerable. At least that sounds like a genuine metal naming scheme akin to Uranium, Plutonian, Iridium being named after gods. Sigmarite isn't a material, Sigmarite is a follower of Sigmar... -ite refers to a type of rock not a metal. This is stupid!

The_Real_Chris
01-07-2015, 23:35
I thought that was a sigmarine?...

So the orc realm (that new name will soon reach 40k...) is ruled by Chaos? How is that a problem for them...

Still the Bloodbowl reboot only needs 4 teams now :)

Voss
02-07-2015, 00:19
Grimnir's dead, by the by. He got in a fight with the Mother of all Salamanders, Vulcananitrixicuplelistious,* and they killed each other.

*ok, I added a few syllables. It was Vulkan-something or other.

Gorthaur
02-07-2015, 00:19
Essentially all the cancerous stupidity that has been tacked on to 40k gradually over the last three three editions has suddenly punched Fantasy in the face.

So it feels like GW is trolling us for liking their game.

Sigmarium would be tolerable. At least that sounds like a genuine metal naming scheme akin to Uranium, Plutonian, Iridium being named after gods. Sigmarite isn't a material, Sigmarite is a follower of Sigmar... -ite refers to a type of rock not a metal. This is stupid!

I agree, the naming there is pretty silly....but its GW and this wouldn't be the first time they came up with a dumb name.

Voss
02-07-2015, 00:23

If it makes it better, Sigmar gave a chunk of 'purest Sigmarite' to some dragon (er, The Great Drake, Dracothion, who's apparently big enough to stick ruined planet cores back in the Firmament) so the dragon could bask in its eternal glow. Draco Malfoy then taught Sigmar the secret ways to the Mortal Realms and the Age of Myth began.

SuperHappyTime
02-07-2015, 01:07
If it makes it better, Sigmar gave a chunk of 'purest Sigmarite' to some dragon (er, The Great Drake, Dracothion, who's apparently big enough to stick ruined planet cores back in the Firmament) so the dragon could bask in its eternal glow. Draco Malfoy then taught Sigmar the secret ways to the Mortal Realms and the Age of Myth began.

Through the vanishing cabinet in the room of requirement?

Hoping the realms have quite a bit of racial diversity to them. God forbid we retreat to Norse realms.

forseer of fates
02-07-2015, 01:11
Odd how regular human, that would form the empire have not been mentioned at all, or as far as I can see.

Zbrojny
02-07-2015, 07:00
So perhaps we've really only lost Bretonnia to an Empire merger and we've gained a second Dwarf faction?

I wouldn't be so sure... Red Slayers might well be more bretonnia-themed than anything else. I could imagine them to be an extension of the "Abhorash & Bretonnia" plot, a bunch of knights (vampiric and otherwise) who abandoned their ideals (being pissed at Lileath and all), and now mostly fight for solid cash.

Turgol
02-07-2015, 07:55
So presumably:

High Elves - Hysh - Tyrion
Wood Elves - Ghyran - Alarielle
Dark Elves - Ulgu - Malekith
Orcs & Goblins - Ghur - Grimgor (Gorkamorka)
Empire - Azyr - Karl Franz (Sigmar)
Dwarfs - Chamon - Thorgrim (Grungni)
Dwarfs - Aqshy - Ungrim (Grimnir)
Undead - Shyish - Nagash

I think this is not exactly accurate. I do not think there is a direct correlation between realms and factions, and much less to old factions. You are indeed right, on the other hand, that an incarnate relationship to armies may take place.

So I guess for example this is right: Tyrion-Hysh-some kind of elves. If Tyrion is there, there is no reason for Alarielle not to be there. So elves could be connected to life as well, either on the same army or there being two elven armies. Undead-Shyish-Nagash connection is as obvious as it get, same with Orcs.

We have no word on Malekith so far. My guess is he will be there, some day. Shadow elves? Not sure if they are coming as well. Malekith could be related to something completely new.

And dwarves, well, I don't know. They are there and that is good news. Grimnir seems to be gone though, not very clear from the fluff. So I guess they will be super armoured by Grugni.

Turgol
02-07-2015, 08:00

I think you are right about the substitution of a low fantasy world loosely related to the earth by a completely different, although related, high fantasy setting. It is indeed high fantasy.

I would not idealise the old setting though. It had a lot of dumb things as well as good things. The whole HE-DE story coming from 4th edition, for once, was great. Same for Nagash and the history of the undead. But then (please do not be offended) Bretonnia never made much sense nor had anything original in it. The dwarves were each edition dumber than before: they started like a proud and noble race and ended up being just dumbly stubborn and revengeful. And do no get me started with Tilea, the Dogs of War and the OK. Even the mummy TKs were quite absurd in a lot of aspects. And aztec lizardmen? Come on! And despite of all of that, I loved it and were very immersed in it.

My point is: as a hobbyist, you just have to get into something to like that. Once you relate to an army, everything else goes by itself.

Avian
02-07-2015, 08:00
I wouldn't be so sure... Red Slayers might well be more bretonnia-themed than anything else. I could imagine them to be an extension of the "Abhorash & Bretonnia" plot, a bunch of knights (vampiric and otherwise) who abandoned their ideals (being pissed at Lileath and all), and now mostly fight for solid cash.
I think the Red Slayers are similar to Mercenaries / Minions in PP games - a very loosely themed faction made so that if they come up with a cool idea for a unit that doesn't fit anywhere else, they can stick it there.

Denny
02-07-2015, 08:01
Sigmarite isn't a material, Sigmarite is a follower of Sigmar... -ite refers to a type of rock not a metal.

I'm pretty sure Sigmarite is a sandwich spread.
Some people love it, others hate it.

Avian
02-07-2015, 08:32
This one from Dakka:

The Hammers of Sigmar are the greatest of all Stormcast Eternal Stormhosts. All other Stormhosts aspire to be like them, although they can never truly be Hammers of Sigmar. Others also revere their Lord-Celestant as their spiritual liege.

The Anvils of Heldenhammer repaint their armor green after half of their number fall to Chaos during the Age of Chaos, where "brother battled brother and father battled son." Their dark and brooding nature reflects the shame they feel about their betrayal.

The Hallowed Knights are so pure of spirit that they attract the attention of Kaldor Draigo, still lost in the warp. He soon joins their number and teaches them all how to carve their names into Nurgle. He is soon more decorated than a truck stop bathroom stall.

Little is known about the Lions of Sigmar because Games Workshop couldn't be bothered to rip off anymore Space Marine chapters.

Turgol
02-07-2015, 08:34
This one from Dakka:

Boring. Sorry.

Drakkar du Chaos
02-07-2015, 09:21
If we forgot anything we knows about WFB, the factions and the realms goes like this :

AZYR - Heaven - Order
Sigmarites & normal humans

AQSHY - Fire - Order
Red Slayers aka Mercenaries ?

SHYISH - Death - Death
Nagash & Vampires

GHYRAN - Life - Order
Seraphons aka Lizardmens

HYSH - Light - Order
Aelfs aka united elves

GHUR - Beast - Destruction
Orruks, Grots & Oggors aka Green-skins & Ogres

CHAMON - Metal - Order
Duardin aka dwarves

ULGU - Shadows - Chaos
Skavens

CHAOS - Chaos - Chaos :D
Mortals & Beastmens & Daemons

Turgol
02-07-2015, 09:26
If we forgot anything we knows about WFB, the factions and the realms goes like this :

AZYR - Heaven - Order
Sigmarites & normal humans

AQSHY - Fire - Order
Red Slayers aka Mercenaries ?

SHYISH - Death - Death
Nagash & Vampires

GHYRAN - Life - Order
Seraphons aka Lizardmens

HYSH - Light - Order
Aelfs aka united elves

GHUR - Beast - Destruction
Orruks, Grots & Oggors aka Green-skins & Ogres

CHAMON - Metal - Order
Duardin aka dwarves

ULGU - Shadows - Chaos
Skavens

CHAOS - Chaos - Chaos :D
Mortals & Beastmens & Daemons

I think it is not that way. People keep thinking each realm is a faction/race. That is explicitly not so. In Azyr you have, for example, dwarves, elves and men, and Sigmarines of course.

There might some correlation between realms, incarnates and factions, but it is quite loose and open. So maybe Tyrion's elves live indeed in Hysh, and Alarielle's in Ghyran. Although she might command a force of nature or something. All open.

Oh, and you cannot correlate realms to factions either. So ok: Azyr=order: that is right. Chaos=chaos: right as well. Shyish=Undead: also right. But the other mortal realms are not "order" in general, but rather controlled by chaos. That is why the Mortal Realms are "hellish places" that Sigmar wants to liberate. I'am guessing the other realms are more setting for battles, although some factions might be related to them. So, for instance, Tyrion and the Aelfs (or a part of them) could live in Hysh as some kind of resistant force against chaos, but at least a big part of the Light Realm must be controlled by chaos.

Drakkar du Chaos
02-07-2015, 09:30
@Turgol

Agreed with you in some way, i was thinking about that interpretation as well... we do not have enough information yet...

MiyamatoMusashi
02-07-2015, 09:45
Just had a moment of idle curiosity.

Elf => Elves.
Dwarf => Dwarfs, unless you're JRR Tolkien, in which cases Dwarves.
Aelf => Aelves? Or Aelfs? Not seen it written yet.

Sheriff0fNottingham
02-07-2015, 15:33
Just had a moment of idle curiosity.

Elf => Elves.
Dwarf => Dwarfs, unless you're JRR Tolkien, in which cases Dwarves.
Aelf => Aelves? Or Aelfs? Not seen it written yet.

The race names (mostly in plural form) can be seen on the spoiler pics:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.984168548282405.1073741834.713968311969098&type=3

Races confirmed:
* Orruks (Orks)
* Seraphon (Lizardfolk)
* Red Slayers
* Aelf (Elf)
* Steamhead Duardin (Dwarfs)
* Ogors (Ogre)
* Grots (Goblins)
* Brayherds (Beastmen)
* Skaven
* Daemon Hosts (Demons)

The_Real_Chris
02-07-2015, 15:42
I still don't get it. If the Skaven, Orc and Undead realms are over-run by Chaos how would they be different to normal?

Turgol
02-07-2015, 15:44
I still don't get it. If the Skaven, Orc and Undead realms are over-run by Chaos how would they be different to normal?

What do you mean by that?
Skaven is chaos btw.

Mr_Foulscumm
02-07-2015, 15:45
My guess is that AoS is going to tank. We'll get 2 or 3 realm releases before GW drops it as well.

InstantKarma
02-07-2015, 15:48
And dwarves, well, I don't know. They are there and that is good news. Grimnir seems to be gone though, not very clear from the fluff. So I guess they will be super armoured by Grugni.

The fabled return of the Squats is at hand!

The_Real_Chris
02-07-2015, 15:50
What do you mean by that?
Skaven is chaos btw.

All the blurb is how the realms have been over-run by chaos. So what is different for an orc if your home is over-run by chaos or not? You are still fighting. All the orcs are dead? Chaos over-running the realm of death? They make everyone stay dead or bring them back to life or what? Just don't see the effect that I supposed to drive a narratie for those places.

Always saw skaven as chaos but to one side, so in opposition to it (well the 4 Gods who seem to ally up an awful lot these days) as much as everything else.

Thane Godri Thunderbrand
02-07-2015, 15:56
Dang, the 13 regions in the Shadow land could be for the skaven, but I hope not.
And I'm guessing Chaos Dwarfs or Chaos Steamhead Duardins will be in Aqshy.

Turgol
02-07-2015, 15:59
All the blurb is how the realms have been over-run by chaos. So what is different for an orc if your home is over-run by chaos or not? You are still fighting. All the orcs are dead? Chaos over-running the realm of death? They make everyone stay dead or bring them back to life or what? Just don't see the effect that I supposed to drive a narratie for those places.

Always saw skaven as chaos but to one side, so in opposition to it (well the 4 Gods who seem to ally up an awful lot these days) as much as everything else.

The realm of dead seems to be pretty secure by Nagash. There is some words about him consuming the guardians as well and having total power. Not sure what it means.

As for orcs: they are just battling I guess. Against chaos, against sigmar, who cares?

Turgol
Dang, the 13 regions in the Shadow land could be for the skaven, but I hope not.
And I'm guessing Chaos Dwarfs or Chaos Steamhead Duardins will be in Aqshy.

There are 13 regions of the shadow land? Oh, that is indeed skavenshy!

Gork or Possibly Mork
I think the Red Slayers are similar to Mercenaries / Minions in PP games - a very loosely themed faction made so that if they come up with a cool idea for a unit that doesn't fit anywhere else, they can stick it there.

Yeah i think so too. They sound like the modern Dogs of War faction.

The bearded one
02-07-2015, 16:13
What may be bothering me most of all is changing the names of races.. Orruks? **** on that! Warhammer never required any "our orc-equivalent is special"-naming. Part of warhammer's fun was they took the generic fantasy names and tropes, and turned them up to crazytown, and poured a sauce of brutality and narrowmindedness over them. Orcs! Orcs! Orcs! Waaagh!

Turgol
02-07-2015, 16:19
What may be bothering me most of all is changing the names of races.. Orruks? **** on that! Warhammer never required any "our orc-equivalent is special"-naming. Part of warhammer's fun was they took the generic fantasy names and tropes, and turned them up to crazytown, and poured a sauce of brutality and narrowmindedness over them. Orcs! Orcs! Orcs! Waaagh!

What might be the war game of Orruks? Waaaaarruk?

Kotrag
02-07-2015, 16:21

Is Norsca copy-rightable? I mean, GeeDubs is the first thing you see when you do a google search of it.

Gork or Possibly Mork
02-07-2015, 16:33

Orruks iz da best! just doesn't have the same ring to it. :(

Another thing that concerns me is how different they will be with all this IP protect nonsense. It's not like other companies can't make an Orc just because you named yours Orruks. Wild Tribal or Heavily armored themed Orcs is not really a copyright able thing.

So will Orcs to Orruks be Empire to Stormcast Eternal different? ekk.....

Voss
02-07-2015, 17:21
Is Norsca copy-rightable? I mean, GeeDubs is the first thing you see when you do a google search of it.

No. It's a historical derivative.

Kahadras
02-07-2015, 18:41
The nine realms thing did interest me slightly (about the only thing that has so far when it comes to AoS). It would give some great oppertunities to artists to explore the look and feel of the new setting. The realm of Azyr with it's palaces and mountians. The realm of Ghyran with it's trackless forests. The realm of Aqshy with it's vast deserts. It's certainly a bright spot for me (no doubt GW will screw it up at some point but there's hope at the moment).