PDA

View Full Version : Commissar Tank Colors?

mightymconeshot
02-07-2015, 00:26
Anyone know what the normal paint scheme is? Do they match the regiment they are attached to? Painted black? Or something else?

Lord Damocles
02-07-2015, 13:58
Imperial Armour Vol.1 2nd ed., pg.31 shows a Commisssar tank in black. It notes that, 'A Commissar's personal vehicle can be any colour, but most are predominantly black'.

mightymconeshot
02-07-2015, 14:21
Thank you.

All Cing Eye
03-07-2015, 01:23
Anyone know what the normal paint scheme is? Do they match the regiment they are attached to? Painted black? Or something else?

I remember seeing in a WD quite a while ago, a Commissar tank. It was camo pattern (desert in this case) with a black turret. Looked quite sharp.

Sai-Lauren
03-07-2015, 20:06
While commissars are outside the regimental structure, any Commissar tank would come from the regiment they're assigned to (I'd say the Commissariat have no heavy equipment of their own). So you could paint it all black, or the same scheme as the rest of the regiment with black panels or a black turret as mentioned, or in the same scheme with only Commissarial insignia. Or whatever you like.

Keep
08-07-2015, 13:39
How about a black flag instead? With skulls :D

mightymconeshot
08-07-2015, 14:20
I already have a giant flag on the captains tank. So having two loses their effect. No problem go with panelling for it. Or a black turret.

MrKeef
16-07-2015, 00:15
I looked up everything I could for this myself, and all I could find was that they are usually painted black and they can pick any vehicle they like as their personal tank.

Well, that's not much official info to go on. Personally, I gave my commissar a Leman Russ Vanquisher (so he can execute tanks if needed) and painted a red stripe on the sides and across the front of the hull to mimic the red sash that is a commissars badge of office. It seemed to be fitting with the theme in a tiny corner of the fluff that's not really been covered.

Here's a pic if you're interested.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/15/fa70836fac634e935de372ab241f899b.jpg

Zingraff
16-07-2015, 00:26
My Commissar Tank is an ordinary Forge World Vanquisher with a commissar tank commander in the turret. Although I haven't painted it yet, I'm not planning to paint it any different from the rest of my vehicles. To me, a personalised black colour scheme doesn't come across as practical or realistic.

On the other hand, seeing how the Vanquisher is the principal tank killer of IG, in my mind it's the only sensible choice for a commissar.

Griefbringer
16-07-2015, 08:33
I gave my commissar a Leman Russ Vanquisher (so he can execute tanks if needed)

That certainly makes sense - it is certainly essential for the commissar to be able to deal swiftly with those tank crews who have failed in their duty to the Emperor.

Zingraff
16-07-2015, 08:54
That certainly makes sense - it is certainly essential for the commissar to be able to deal swiftly with those tank crews who have failed in their duty to the Emperor.

In the fluff, the Commissar Tanks are set up behind the lines to encourage friendly tanks to remain active for as long as possible. It's difficult to intimidate a Leman Russ battle tank, unless you brought a Vanquisher Cannon.

MrKeef
16-07-2015, 15:13
In the fluff, the Commissar Tanks are set up behind the lines to encourage friendly tanks to remain active for as long as possible. It's difficult to intimidate a Leman Russ battle tank, unless you brought a Vanquisher Cannon.

Not really, if Commissar tanks are behind the lines then pretty much any Leman Russ variant will be intimidating as you'll be getting hit in the rear.

By in game stats, it's literally anything apart from the punisher, ignoring hull and sponson weapons.

Griefbringer
16-07-2015, 15:51
While Punisher might not be that great for encouraging tank crews, it could certainly help to motivate any leg infantry that the tank company is assigned to support...

TheKillerCoyote
16-07-2015, 19:01
I would think that Yarrik's personal tank would be a good guideline. :-)

Zingraff
18-07-2015, 09:08
Not really, if Commissar tanks are behind the lines then pretty much any Leman Russ variant will be intimidating as you'll be getting hit in the rear.

By in game stats, it's literally anything apart from the punisher, ignoring hull and sponson weapons.

You're not going to be hit in the rear if you are trying to escape from the front. You'd turn around and attempt to get out, and then, when you come across the commissar tank, you'd both be facing each other.

The Highlander
19-07-2015, 09:13
I think it would generally be whatever the commissar in question wants it to be, after all who'd argue with him? But I suspect black and gold would be rather common colours.

jimmyzimms
19-07-2015, 18:19
I remember seeing in a WD quite a while ago, a Commissar tank. It was camo pattern (desert in this case) with a black turret. Looked quite sharp.
Yup i do exactly that with my commissars in my Epic armies (where they're plentiful in a standard game). It's easy to spot when playing but still allows a cohesive look to your forces. Should be even more effective at 28mm I suspect.

Example=> https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/10154334_10152477196943295_4580071470112202788_n.j pg?oh=56445d5b67eaa577912a6178c1827515&oe=564B8F6E