PDA

View Full Version : age of Sigmar and true scale marines?

jason_sation
02-07-2015, 03:02
Hello,
Not sure if anyone's been following the rumors for the new Warhammet game, but anyone else wonder about the possibility of getting bigger Marines in the future? Pictures are out of the new "Sigmarite" faction which are huge armored warriors. How would GW implement this into 40k without upsetting everyone who already has full Space Marine armies? Introduce them as special Space Marines and over time (future codexes) slowly phase out the small marines? Maybe we will never see a change?

Scribe of Khorne
02-07-2015, 03:23
If they did implement this grotesque mockery of scale into 40K, I would quit on the spot, and never buy anything not 30K/FW again.

They could do this just by creeping up the leg length however, over time. Its not super obvious at first, but it wouldnt be hard as the 'old' marines have a very squat look.

jason_sation
02-07-2015, 03:29
Here is a link to a picture showing the scale of the new models... http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=216278&d=1435749995

I can't help but think that the new bases for Space Marines is step one in an overall phase in to bigger Marines.

Scribe of Khorne
02-07-2015, 04:12
Possible, though the idea at the time was that the new base size made the CURRENT model's look better (which I agree it does) so increasing the size would sort of defeat that ratio. ;)

MajorWesJanson
02-07-2015, 04:39
If they were intending to make larger marines incrementally, I think they would have started doing it with the new Assault and Devastator kits that just came out. Or some of the various characters like the new DA chaplain.

The Black Shield
02-07-2015, 05:32
Wait, haven't they been slowly making the marines larger for years?

insectum7
02-07-2015, 06:41
Wait, haven't they been slowly making the marines larger for years?

Basic marine is the same size he was in third Ed. Which is only slightly beefier than some of the 2nd Ed. models. The scale has been stable for 15+ years. Some of the new ones look slightly taller because their legs are more upright, but it's an impression more than any real millimeters gained as far as I can tell. Maybe someone with consistent posing and a pair of calipers can shed some light on it.

Losing Command
02-07-2015, 06:47
Ugh, I don't get the obsession some people have with marines having to be bigger. Yes, they don't look that large next to a guardmen ... but that is because the guard models in 40k seem to only represent humans who are as large as a space marine by nature.

Lord Damocles
02-07-2015, 07:59
They've only just released a whole bunch of regularly sized Marines. They're not suddenly going to make them obsolete.

You might as well argue that because the AoS Chaos spawn thing is pretty big, that means Tyranids are all going to get a size boost.

'True scale' is nothing of the sort, anyway.

Poncho160
02-07-2015, 08:13
Am i right in assuming that Marines are about 8' tall?

If that is so and we assume that a 28mm Guard model represents a person 5' 11" to 6' tall, a similiary scaled 8' marine would only be about 8mm taller than the guard model. Not to far off what they are now really. Thats if my dodgy maths are right! haha.

Iron_Lord
02-07-2015, 08:19
Am i right in assuming that Marines are about 8' tall?

Tall ones, maybe. Most sources list average marines as 7 ft tall or so.

Denny
02-07-2015, 08:49
Ugh, I don't get the obsession some people have with marines having to be bigger. Yes, they don't look that large next to a guardmen ... but that is because the guard models in 40k seem to only represent humans who are as large as a space marine by nature.

This. People who want to make true scale marines shouldn't be trying to make Marines taller, they should be trying to shrink guardsmen. ;)

Still Standing
02-07-2015, 09:07

Including the diagram at Warhammer World.

Greavous
02-07-2015, 10:25
the only time i ever questioned the scaling was with the titans, especially the new warlord titan but
1. who would buy a 4ft model for 3000+ that cant even fit on the table (barely?)
2. transport, not really a practical wargaming model.

so i understand why they do it, it just ruins the immersion abit. i suppose the books dont help with some saying they are XXft tall yet the image looks 1 mile tall.

with space mariens im guessing its also down to storage, they have to fit into the transport boxes they sell not really fair if a IG player can fit 60 models in and a SM can only fit 30.

Poncho160
02-07-2015, 10:28

Including the diagram at Warhammer World.

That would make "true scale marines' only about 4mm taller than your average guard model then. Which I think they already are. I am thinking that we might already have true scale marines, in height anyway :)

Still Standing
02-07-2015, 10:43
Particularly when compared to FW Guardsmen.

Iron_Lord
02-07-2015, 12:44
Particularly when compared to FW Guardsmen.

Or various iterations of metal Guardsmen.

The tallest metal character marines tend to be on the order of 35mm, compared to 32mm for the average plastic marine - so if you want big guys, they do exist as well.

That said, it's possible that vehicles at least are a bit undersized compared to their listed sizes in the Forgeworld books - if 32mm = 7 ft.

Mattland
02-07-2015, 13:23
This. People who want to make true scale marines shouldn't be trying to make Marines taller, they should be trying to shrink guardsmen. ;)

This. The Rogue trader era guardsmen are pretty much a decent scale to current marines iirc, I'll have to find mine and post a size comparison pic, they're definetely shorter than the current Cadians/catachan models

Poncho160
02-07-2015, 15:19
All the rhino variants including the predator on the other hand, are absolutely tiny!! Completley the wrong scale! Lol

InstantKarma
02-07-2015, 16:42
The Sigmarines look like they are about the scale of the current plastic Terminators, right?

T10
02-07-2015, 19:44
First larger bases, then larger marines. Obviously.

Gazak Blacktoof
03-07-2015, 11:49
All the rhino variants including the predator on the other hand, are absolutely tiny!! Completley the wrong scale! Lol

I've not measured the models, but I think that some of the apparent size discrepancy comes from the miniatures being on bases, which makes them appear larger in comparison to the unbased tanks.

I wouldn't place any money on the tanks being in scale with other miniatures, but I don't think the scale difference is as large as it seems at first glance.

WLBjork
04-07-2015, 22:40
I've not measured the models, but I think that some of the apparent size discrepancy comes from the miniatures being on bases, which makes them appear larger in comparison to the unbased tanks.

I wouldn't place any money on the tanks being in scale with other miniatures, but I don't think the scale difference is as large as it seems at first glance.

People seem to think that tanks are huge compared to humans. They are not as big as GW would have you believe. I recently purchased Airfix Jackal and Coyote kits to use as Taurus and Ventnor replacements. To match the size of the GW kits, I had to buy 1:48 scale models, whereas hypothetically speaking 28mm is the same as 1:64.

GW vehicles are massively oversized.

TheFang
04-07-2015, 22:51

Real people don't have bases. Or exaggerated heroic scale proportions. That makes minis next to vehicles in the right scale look huge.

Hicks
05-07-2015, 07:53
I seriously would be thrilled to see marines get this big. They are currently too cartoony for my taste. In the artwork they look so badass, on the table though they are smaller than guardsmen, that's just so wrong. If 40K minis were sculpted with realistic proportions and in scale to each other, I would probably start playing again, even if I find the rules to be terribad.

tmod
05-07-2015, 18:27
People seem to think that tanks are huge compared to humans. They are not as big as GW would have you believe. I recently purchased Airfix Jackal and Coyote kits to use as Taurus and Ventnor replacements. To match the size of the GW kits, I had to buy 1:48 scale models, whereas hypothetically speaking 28mm is the same as 1:64.

28mm equals 1:54-1:58, not 1:64. Adding bases 1:48 is not unreasonable...

Sent fra min GT-I9506 via Tapatalk

Gazak Blacktoof
05-07-2015, 20:19

I think that a lot of the scale arguments stem from transports. How do you fit 10 power armoured marines in a rhino? Certainly the models don't appear to fit.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/450907.page

EDIT: I don't think making marines any bigger would help!

jet_palero
06-07-2015, 02:54
I seriously would be thrilled to see marines get this big. They are currently too cartoony for my taste. In the artwork they look so badass, on the table though they are smaller than guardsmen, that's just so wrong. If 40K minis were sculpted with realistic proportions and in scale to each other, I would probably start playing again, even if I find the rules to be terribad.

Guardsmen are just too big though (and ludicrously proportioned but that's a separate argument). stick a marine next to a warlord ww2 infantrymen, it looks better.