PDA

View Full Version : Did GW Miss Out On the Game of Thrones Craze? (Bretonnians)

Pojko
03-07-2015, 02:29
So we all know that since the beginning that Games Workshop has been "inspired' by other fantasy medias for their own factions. With the popularity of the Game of Thrones TV series over the last five years, did they miss a golden opportunity to make Bretonnia popular again? A revival of a medieval faction full of plate-armored knights and miserable peasantry seems like a no brainer at this stage.

It's been over 11 years since their last army book. In that time it appears that their background has changed completely under the radar when it comes to Mallobaude, a civil war, vampires infecting half of the nobility, etc. Seems to me that this dark and gritty setting would work perfectly for a power struggle between noble houses, shifting alliances, betrayals, plots and schemes, etc. Basically Game of Thrones. Not steal from it entirely. But do things with different Dukedoms and Baronies of Bretonnia like they do the noble houses.

I know that the show inspired me to start a Bretonnian army last year. I want to paint a knight yellow with a black dog on his heraldry like House Clegane. Or a red knight with a golden lion for House Lannister. The list goes on and on. Did Games Workshop miss out on a chance to save Bretonnia?

Philhelm
03-07-2015, 02:59
I agree. I had thought of starting a Bretonnian army based on an antler-helmed duke with a flaming sword and devoted to Solkan. Oh well.

Coldhatred
03-07-2015, 15:25
No, they didn't miss out, because it's just a fad like Pokemon. :D

I also thought about it briefly, but I'm not a huge GoT fans and GW's prices stopped me flat. I thought of doing an entire Lannister theme, but meh.

benvoliothefirst
03-07-2015, 15:55
AbsoLUTELY they did! I'm sure there's a very long time between conception and release of a Fantasy army, but even if they started right when the Game of Thrones TV show got started I would they they'd be out by now. I haven't been bothered to learn much about the Age of Sigmar rules, but it was my hope that they were going to start figuring out the particular difficulties of the Bretonnian army (the whole thing being made up of cavalry, "the wedge" etc.) so that they would be one of the first armies released in the new system. I'm still hoping. But yeah, they definitely missed out on capitalizing on the trend.

And yeah, Coldhatred, GoT *is* a fad, just like everything else in pop culture. It comes and it goes.

Coldhatred
03-07-2015, 17:34
And yeah, Coldhatred, GoT *is* a fad, just like everything else in pop culture. It comes and it goes.

I was referencing Tom Kirby's arrogant address where he talks about things coming and going and model soldiers still remaining; something to the effect of "Pokemon, who remembers that?".

Griefbringer
03-07-2015, 19:38
I also thought about it briefly, but I'm not a huge GoT fans and GW's prices stopped me flat. I thought of doing an entire Lannister theme, but meh.

I am not into GoT, but I have seen people doing interesting GoT-themed forces using a variety of miniatures, such as mixing various historical plastic sets that have been released during the past couple of years.

See for example these conversions by the talented Captain Blood:

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=62778.0

stroller
03-07-2015, 20:18
Always seen Game of Thrones more as Empire myself.

Coldhatred
04-07-2015, 04:42
I am not into GoT, but I have seen people doing interesting GoT-themed forces using a variety of miniatures, such as mixing various historical plastic sets that have been released during the past couple of years.

See for example these conversions by the talented Captain Blood:

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=62778.0

Those are really interesting, thanks for the link. Lead Adventure is always so inspiring.