PDA

View Full Version : Round base sizes AoS

zeuso
03-07-2015, 10:55
So after much deliberation, I decided to finally take the plunge last night and began re-basing the majority of my Fantasy armies to round bases. I am mostly doing this for characters, and the units that had difficulty ranking up or look aesthetically better on rounds. I've already started tearing the models from their bases, (a painful process, especially the painted ones :cries:) but I can't decide which sized round bases some of the models should go on.

My main armies are Chaos, Aelfs & Orruks & Grots :wtf: These are the units I'm most unsure about:

Orc Boyz/Savage Orcs/Black Orcs (25mm or 32mm to emphasise the size difference to Goblins? Black Orcs slightly beefier so maybe them?)
Trolls/River Trolls (40/50?)
Wrathmongers/Blight Kings
Forsaken
Gor/Bestigor
Minotaurs/Doombull
Dark Elf Executioners
High Elf Swordmasters

MasterSplinter
03-07-2015, 11:05
I canīt give you advice on which bases to use for what - ruleswise you are free to choose.

But i would plead you to rethink your whole project. What is the aesthetical point of round bases worth if half your models lack feet to walk on afterwards? All this additional effort?

You wonīt be able to play some 8th edition games afterwards, also. Stop it. Save the damage which will be done.

swordofglass
03-07-2015, 11:18
Why do this? AoS doesn't require you to use round bases, and they may even put you at a disadvantage (they take up slightly more space). Additionally, you can play AoS with square, but you can't play 8th with round (well, it's very difficult) so bear that in mind. On top of that, you may damage some of your models - for no good reason. On top of that - why are you gearing up to play AoS anyway? It's obviously your choice and if you're aware of all the rules issues but want to play it anyway, then more power to you - but I thought I would just check in case you're not aware - you do know that pretty much everything about it is broken and/or severely flawed, right? Your 8th edition armies are things of beauty which can be used to play awesome games with great rules for many years to come. Don't let AoS destroy that!

If you go ahead with it anyway, the simple answer to your question is that it doesn't matter. There is no rule and no real rules advantage to using any particular base size. I would put them all on the smallest bases on which they'll fit, if I were you.

TheFang
03-07-2015, 11:19
To be honest there is no difference under the rules as they use the model. Why waste the time and effort in rebasing? You can still use the ranked bases for eighth and they might be an advantage under any future mass battle version of AoS.

Lord Dan
03-07-2015, 13:43
Agree with all of the above.

Moreover, from the embarrassing simplicity of the AoS ruleset, I'd wager there's a much higher likelihood of your playing 8th edition six months from now than this bizarre new system.

jullevi
03-07-2015, 16:39
I wouldn't rebase complete armies because it takes too much time and effort and makes them unusable in classic WHFB. But those 2-3 boxes of cool looking miniatures that I bought for an army that I don't collect? Why not.

Round bases look better than rectangle bases. Try different sizes and choose the one that looks best. My suggestions bolded below.

Orc Boyz/Savage Orcs/Black Orcs 32mm (goblins 25mm)
Trolls/River Trolls 50mm
Wrathmongers/Blight Kings 40mm
Forsaken 32mm
Gor/Bestigor 32mm (Ungor 25mm)
Minotaurs/Doombull (50mm if current models, 40mm if previous edition models)
Dark Elf Executioners 25mm
High Elf Swordmasters 25mm

I have 4-digit number of miniatures in my closet, but only a few armies large enough to play WHFB with. Once the Warscrolls are released, I have models for more than twenty AoS warbands. I can't wait for tomorrow.

Gorthaur
03-07-2015, 18:08
Any advice on how I should base my Bloodletters? I bought a group of 10 a couple weeks back, only half are based already. I put them on the standard round bases...but I think GW is going to put them on 32mm now? Plus...the standard bearer is easy to knock over he isn't very stable!

Lord Dan
03-07-2015, 18:32
Since AoS ignores bases entirely I'd recommend you base them to where you can use them in whatever other system you'll be using them in.

HelloKitty
03-07-2015, 20:38
You can base them however you want. You could put it on a cork if you wanted to. Bases are meaningless in AoS.

TheFang
03-07-2015, 20:45
Any advice on how I should base my Bloodletters? I bought a group of 10 a couple weeks back, only half are based already. I put them on the standard round bases...but I think GW is going to put them on 32mm now? Plus...the standard bearer is easy to knock over he isn't very stable!
Stick with the rounds so you can use them for 40k. Stick the standard bearer on a resin or a base with some metal (1p or 2p coin in the UK) glued underneath to ballast the banner.

Ramius4
03-07-2015, 20:46
Use frisbees.

Whirlwind
03-07-2015, 20:49
Wouldn't it be simpler and less damaging if you just mounted them on slightly larger round bases. Hell with a bit of wood working or plaster you could design a simple structure where your square bases slot into a round base with a the correct gap. You wouldn't need to rebase everything then, just build enough of these adaptabases so that you can play AoS when you want (or can). No need to wreck decent paint jobs either

Andy p
03-07-2015, 21:01
I just wouldn't bother. Gw didn't.