PDA

View Full Version : Why I believe 40k will not go the way of Fantasy

Herkamer63
03-07-2015, 16:24
Here we are on the eve of pre-orders for Warhammer: Age of Sigmar, and already people are drawing conclusions about 40k. With the revamped rules of WFB, the gossip has been "Oh my gosh, 40k's rules are going to change because what GW's doing with AoS". Now, I will admit that I am looking forward to AoS. The rules, from what I read, and had been hearing, are much simpler, the models are awesome (the Stormcast guys, to me for appearance, are the winners in my book, despite people complaining that they look like SM, but that's what you expect out of the champions of humanity), and the Warscrolls, aka army lists/formations, make it easier to play and carry models around. The problem I had with, while trying to get into it, was that the rules seemed to be all over the place and not as organized as 40k. To be fair, I was trying to get in during 8th ed, so I can't say that about earlier eds. 40k was much more attractive, in terms of rules and simplicity. Fantasy models, I think, just look better (I have Ogres). Back on topic, why do I think 40k will not adopt the AoS style of play?

40k, since I started, has had a much easier style of play. The phases in each turn, IMO, make more sense. Reserves, movement, psychic powers, shooting, and finally assault all in that order is much easier to track than (if I remember the order correctly) reserves, movement (that also includes charging), magic, shooting, and then assault. It makes more sense to me charging during the assault phase than during the movement phase. The Save system, in terms of armor save, in 40k is easier to remember, thanks to the AP system, while Fantasy corresponded with Strength and subtracting from the Toughness(S 4 against T 3 is -1 to the save, so if the normal save was 4+ it actually becomes a 5+). Another factor is the FOC in 40k and its slot system has led to a much easier way to keep your army balanced (not saying the game itself is totally balanced, thanks Eldar). Now, the percentage system in Fantasy was a neat idea, but it required a little more math than 40k, and no, math and I don't mix well together (especially percentages). The last thing to name on this topic, and this is debatable I will admit, is the fluff. SM have the best overall stories that GW has put out. Think about it: masculine, super human soldiers that live for centuries and whose only purpose is war. Fantasy, though it does have its bright stars for sure, doesn't have the same clout as many of the characters and armies 40k has, at least from what I read so don't take my word for it.

All in all, 40k will remain in the state that it's in now, or something identical to it if GW releases a new ed. I liked Fantasy when I played, but it's time for a change of pace. Going the way of 40k is the best option Fantasy has, so I hope AoS does well (it'll give me an excuse to dust off my Ogres and finish painting them when their rules hit). The models sell themselves (at least that's what I expect), the free downloads are very welcoming, and a simpler style of play makes for a more enjoyable experience, IMO. As for 40k, there is no need for any radical changes at this time. What do you think? Plus, I know there's more to add to the list of the flaws of Fantasy (as there are also flaws with 40k)what would you like to add to the list?

InstantKarma
03-07-2015, 16:45
Datasheets vs Warscrolls.

Picked up my Dark Angels Codex and saw how the units were organized and I paniced because the two seem awfully similar.

Sir Didymus
04-07-2015, 13:44
40K already paved the way for AOS. So its just a question of how successful AOS will be, before 40K is put in line.

dark devil
04-07-2015, 17:57
Ragnar blackmane: howl like a wolf when charging get some nonsense ability.

I hate it and a AoS 40k would ensure I never buy anything from GW ever again and I don't think I'd be alone, people have already figured out how to break AoS with demon summoning tricks or a skaven+fateweaver combo 40k would be no different.

I always thought claims of GW trying to tank on purpose were hyperbolic but after this weekend I'm not so sure.

Inquisitor Kallus
04-07-2015, 18:12
Ragnar blackmane: howl like a wolf when charging get some nonsense ability.

I hate it and a AoS 40k would ensure I never buy anything from GW ever again and I don't think I'd be alone, people have already figured out how to break AoS with demon summoning tricks or a skaven+fateweaver combo 40k would be no different.

I always thought claims of GW trying to tank on purpose were hyperbolic but after this weekend I'm not so sure.

There will always be jerks, its not GWs fault. In every edition there are those people who dont want to play a game with you, they want to game the game and play against you.

Dkoz
04-07-2015, 18:13
Right now 40K makes GW its bank so unless AoS is a resounding success and maintains its sales after words I doubt 40K will go the same route.