PDA

View Full Version : A honest farewell to a once great game!

Scribe of Khorne
04-07-2015, 00:57
Farewell to Warhammer. I played you seldom, but my group played you often. From epic spells, and even more epic looking massed combats, you had cornered a market for decades in the popular realm.

What GW has done is a tragic insult, so I will remember you fondly, and as my friends carry on with 8th and End Times, I'll join them.

Drakkar du Chaos
04-07-2015, 00:59
Sounds to me like a clear message from GW :

"hey since years we told you we dont give a **** about rules and balancing... look at AoW trololol and buy our minis ****tard"

What the **** is wrong with them... i started WFB between 5th and 6th, waited 15 years to have enough income to buy my first army these last months and i got this... a game for 6 years old... i'm so mad...

kurisawa
04-07-2015, 02:17
Sounds to me like a clear message from GW :

"hey since years we told you we dont give a **** about rules and balancing... look at AoW trololol and buy our minis ****tard"

What the **** is wrong with them... i started WFB between 5th and 6th, waited 15 years to have enough income to buy my first army these last months and i got this... a game for 6 years old... i'm so mad...

Wow, I can feel your anger through my monitor! I do sympathise - I can only imagine how annoying it must be to save up all that time to have it suddenly made redundant.

But, honest question with no snark: Did you really miss all the End Times stuff, and the news and rumours about the big changes coming?

While I'm sad, like the OP, about the end of Old World as we know it, I have to say GW at least tried to communicate to us all that this was coming far in advance. I didn't get into any of the End Times stuff myself, but it seemd to me, at least, a well-intentioned, laudable attempt at a nice send-off for the vets.

I truly hope you can find some players who also want to play oldhammer, and get full use of that army you bought. If not come to Japan and I'll spot you a game or two! Good luck!

K.

kurisawa
04-07-2015, 02:34
Farewell to Warhammer. I played you seldom, but my group played you often. From epic spells, and even more epic looking massed combats, you had cornered a market for decades in the popular realm.

What GW has done is a tragic insult, so I will remember you fondly, and as my friends carry on with 8th and End Times, I'll join them.

Hey Scribe,

You know, I usually scoff at dramatic "I quit!" messages here, but this time I share your sadness and was thinking about writing up a tribute post for all the vets to pour their emotions into.

I genuinely wish GW good luck with their new world and new lore, and I suspect it will be interesting to a new generation, but it's not for me.

No more good old-fashioned Tolkeinesque Dwarfs with great-axes desperately defending their gates against hordes of manic Night Gobllins. No more World's Edge mountains at all...

No more wily Wood Elves fighting running battles of ambush and evasion with twisted Beastmen of Chaos in the deep forests of the Empire. No more Athel Loren at all...

No more gallant Bretonnian Paladins bravely jousting with vampiric Blood Knights, hordes of zombies and skeletons warriors shuffling under a wan moon. No more Bretonnia or Blood Keep at all...

No more proud Elven citizen-soldiers of Ulthuan defending their shores from evil-made-incarnate in the form of Chaos Daemons. No more Ulthuan at all...

No more Imperial state troopers volley-firing their muskets against mass invasions of man-sized rats pouring out of an under-empire. No more Empire at all...

No more cruel Dark Elf corsairs raiding the Border Princes for slaves and treasures. No more Naggaroth at all...

No more dusty Tomb Kings rising from the baking sands to repel intrepid thiefs from their ancient Necropoli. No more Nagash at all...

No more allied last-stands facing the Nordic hordes of Marauders and mighty Chaos Warriors. No more Northern Wastes at all...

No more all-eating Ogres. No more cold-blooded reptilian warriors of the Old Ones. No more Nippon, Cathay, Araby, Lustria, and all the other interesting corners of the world waiting to be explored and conquered.

The Warhammer World is dead. Long live Regalia!

K.

duffybear1988
04-07-2015, 02:44
We didn't quit, GW did.

I have a request for the Mods - can we get separate AoS forums so that us oldies can keep Fantasy alive, or at least try to?

Voss
04-07-2015, 02:51
I seriously despised the first iteration of the Kings of War rules, beyond any set of seriously developed wargame rules that I've ever read. Barring the undead, I think their models are the wretched products of unpaid interns. But after this? I'll give them another look. Out of spite, if nothing else.

Or maybe a Wrath of Kings starter, which the LGS owner was trying to sell me on. Despite the fairly skeezy sculpts of women.

Though I'm generally happy with WM/H, sometimes I want to play something else.

Noodle!
04-07-2015, 03:09
Goodbye Bugman's. Goodbye the sense of humor that somehow lived in and fit in perfectly in a world with grim dark. Where the brutality of chaos played happily with the zanyness of goblins. Power struggles, politics, epic battles, history, magic, monsters, beasts, heroes, common men. Warhammer had it all.

But even as I say goodbye I will keep playing it for as long as I have someone to play with.

Coldhatred
04-07-2015, 04:58
Goodbye the to the world that made me smile with things like Blood Bowl, Mordheim, and all those silly short stories.

Goodbye to the world that gave us epic campaigns like Albion and Storm of Chaos, despite the later being retconned.

Goodbye to the world that gave us the Vampire Wars novels. Just awesome.

Goodbye to the world that inspired me to paint for the first time and to take my first steps into this fantastic hobby we all share.

Last, but not least, goodbye to the world that was so engrossing that I would just sit and stare at the paper Old World map that came with the 6th Edition Starter Set for hours on end.

Onwards and upwards as they say, but I have a feeling that I'll never really shake this smoking crater that GW has wrought.

Geep
04-07-2015, 05:12
I am very sad to see this fate for Warhammer. It's been a not insignificant part of my life for 17 years now, to the frustration of parents, friends and partners. I'm not saying farewell to Warhammer, however. I'm saying farewell to GW's ideas of Warhammer, and pretty much modern GW altogether. To me the Warhammer World will continue to live as it was, and I'll continue playing there with my current models, with previous editions, plus with Warmaster, Mordheim and Man o' War.

Philhelm
04-07-2015, 05:12
What comes to mind is old artwork of the Grand Master of the Knights Panther upon a rearing horse on a lonely hilltop.

Laniston
04-07-2015, 05:14
So the war scrolls are all available. Just....wow. so bad. Literally there are rules like "if you raise a goblet or cup and in a heroic voice shout "for the lady!" Your grail knights re roll misses. Or pretend you are riding an imaginary horse. Unbelievable! Also hierotitans are gone so so much for any hope of getting a model for it from GW.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Venthrac
04-07-2015, 05:18
So the war scrolls are all available. Just....wow. so bad. Literally there are rules like "if you raise a goblet or cup and in a heroic voice shout "for the lady!" Your grail knights re roll misses. Or pretend you are riding an imaginary horse. Unbelievable! Also hierotitans are gone so so much for any hope of getting a model for it from GW.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Hah, yeah, that's pretty silly. I totally was't already doing... stuff like that... all the time...

*slinks away*

But no, that should not be a RULE.... it should be a suggestion.