PDA

View Full Version : From now on, my fantasy wargaming needs will be fulfilled by...

MiyamatoMusashi
04-07-2015, 15:35
A bit more detailed than the other poll (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?410776-Will-you-play-Age-of-Sigmar) (though do please answer that one too!).

What fantasy wargame(s) will you play from now on? Multiple choices allowed!*

(I know there's a lot of other games out there, especially at skirmish scale - but there's only ten poll options allowed, sorry!)

* - this time. Screwed that up first time around.

TheFang
04-07-2015, 15:42
Multiple choices make it difficult to enumerate. 2 voters add up to 250%.

I'd given up on Fantasy a few tears ago. Nothing in Age of Sigmar to bring me back. In fact, the laughable quality of the project (minis excepted) are just serving to harden my attitude against Games Workshop.

Kakapo42
04-07-2015, 15:45
I took up the dark art of Pasthammer/Oldhammer when the 8th edition Wood Elf book was released and was not to my liking. I'll just stick with what I've already found to be my happy place with Warhammer rules - the 6th edition Wood Elf army book with 8th edition core rules (opponents may choose what army book they want), possibly switching over to 6th edition rules every once in a while.

Harwammer
04-07-2015, 15:49
Thankyou OP for multiple choice options. Voted 8th/AoS. Might very rarely get a 5th ed against my brother too.

Treadhead_1st
04-07-2015, 16:54
I'll give Age of Sigmar a try and it may yet surprise me, but if not I'm sticking with 8th and Warmahordes.

Nightfall Shimmer
04-07-2015, 18:16
Age of Sigmar and maybe 6th edition if I can find a copy of the rules. 7th and 8th killed WHFB here and I'll never get a game of either.

Voss
04-07-2015, 18:56
Well, WM/H is already my primary game. Dabbling in a secondary (specifically fantasy) is difficult. Maybe the Kings of War new edition won't be rubbish, but the models (except some of the undead) still will be. But regardless, there isn't a local group for anything but WM/H.

Scribe of Khorne
04-07-2015, 19:14
8th, with End Times is what our group is going to do, setting up to run through the whole campaign, start to finish.

Gork or Possibly Mork
04-07-2015, 19:29
8th with small house rule tweaks. Possibly if i can get my group interested i'd like adopting a few of the better parts of Age of Sigmar and making some sort of hybrid that's mainly 8th with some Sigmar sprinkled in.

dalezzz
04-07-2015, 20:29
Will stick with 8th and our group has started playing malifaux recently too, , I'm sure we will play other stuff too :)

CrystalSphere
04-07-2015, 22:21
The total war game base on the warhammer setting.

And maybe 8th if enough people care to keep playing and i can find opponents.

mweaver
04-07-2015, 22:37
Probably mostly Mordheim or a Mordheim/Oldhammer mishmash.

I picked up the Foundry's fantasy combat rules about a year ago on sale - God of Battles. It is certainly a pretty book, but I have not read it thoroughly yet.

Samsonov
04-07-2015, 22:37
I'm liking the look of Darklands by Mierce Miniatures, I've downloaded a fantasy version of Impetuous, I'm thinking some warmaster, willing to give Kings of War a go. Planning to build some new armies using the new 3mm historicals from Magister Militum (http://www.magistermilitum.com/scale/3mm.html) plus add in various fantasy creatures, base them 40mm by 20mm for warmaster, usable with modification for Impetuous and Kings of war. Also, might use said 3mm in the Darklands backgrounds. Fantasy is really capturing my interests currently, largely thanks to anticipation over AoS, but the only GW element I might retain is the background.

DeathGlam
04-07-2015, 22:44
I plan to stick to 8th short term, maybe consider 6th or 7th with some house rules at a later date, i tried Kings of War as the obvious supported alternative but the style of the game was not for me other then it having ranked up units.

The_Real_Chris
05-07-2015, 01:11
Upset God of Battles wasn't up there...
http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/our-ranges/gob

mweaver
05-07-2015, 04:41
I haven't heard people around here mention GoB much, Chris. Well, at all really until now. Like I said, I picked it up on sale and besides admiring the pretty pictures, I have not done much with it. Have you played? How do you like it?

-Michael

MiyamatoMusashi
05-07-2015, 08:21
Only 10 poll options. A bunch of games were going to come under "other", one way or another.

Hicks
05-07-2015, 08:33
Warmahordes, I like it a thousand times more than any GW games. The fluff, the minis, the rules, I love it all.

SteveW
05-07-2015, 08:33
Played AoS and it was as bad as it looked. Will keep playing 8th/warmahordes/infinity until something better comes out.

Deadhorse
05-07-2015, 08:42
I'll try Kings of War2. It's coming out free next week, Alessio wrote it (he wrote 6th edition and some of me favorite army books) and it's the real successor to WFB.

I am wary of getting into an unsupported game, but if that doesn't pan out, I'll try one of those community 9th ed. projects.

I don't really like warmachine and I don't think it has anything to do with WFB, it's more similar to 40k.

As for AoS, I think people have quickly discovered how bad the "no army composition rules" are, but are still in line to find out how bad the other rules are. Every online battle report I've seen ended quickly with all units getting stuck in, followed by 90 minutes of boring dicerolling and the players scratching their heads at the end of this silly experience. Once you somehow get past the imbalance, you're going to find the game really has nothing to offer.

taurus-marstein
05-07-2015, 21:55
Where can you get the kings of war rules? I also might start flames of war or bolt action...

Brutallica
05-07-2015, 22:39
Well its 40k for me... Fantasy 8th is just meh.....End times left the game in a bad state, and so many armies and units that are not up to snuff, Im done...

The_Real_Chris
06-07-2015, 00:14
I haven't heard people around here mention GoB much, Chris. Well, at all really until now. Like I said, I picked it up on sale and besides admiring the pretty pictures, I have not done much with it. Have you played? How do you like it?

-Michael

You can find a bunch of far better written reviews than I can do online. There is nothing in the game that strikes me as innovative it just plays nicely together and reasonably fast. The odds and sods army lists fit my erratic model collection (I also have a few foundry pieces) as I don't have the big 8th edition armies, likewise the basing and other strict conventions of some peoples model collections. With the model count quite low it feels to me a bit like how playing 3rd ed did, just without the complexity. I bought two rule books, print off unit cards and roll it out occasionally as a way to break up the historicals and sci fi I am otherwise subjected to!

Lordcypress
06-07-2015, 00:14
Wow basically 52% are just going to keep playing 8th edition. That's a significant number of players.

Lord_Crull
06-07-2015, 00:21
I think I will be looking into Warmahordes as a replacement for Fantasy. While Kings of War certainly looks interesting, nobody plays it at my local area. I don't think playing Oldhammer is practical. Without official support, a system won't last very long. That is also to add to the fact that the majority of wargamers at my local area now play Warmahordes.

Col. Tartleton
06-07-2015, 00:36
Either Warhammer or Kings of War.

Iron Kings the RPG is more appealing to me than Warmachine/Hordes.

big squig
06-07-2015, 01:38
Where can you get the kings of war rules? I also might start flames of war or bolt action...

KoW rules / Lists (https://manticforum.com/forum/kings-of-war/kings-of-war-2-beta/222648-beta-phase-2-please-read-this-before-posting-latest-rules-15-apr-and-lists-2-5-12-mar)

Here is a link to the playtest rules. The full rules will be available to DL on the 10th.

AngryAngel
06-07-2015, 02:34
8th with a some friends of mine, when we play, and if KoW brings their rules up to my liking, will start to use that.

Weyuhn01
06-07-2015, 03:13
Not sure what will fill my fantasy war game needs. If Age of Sigmar is really going to be it, I might look into Kings of War 2nd edition or go back to playing Warmachine. I seriously am still in shock, can't believe the complete departure from WHFB that AoS is. I will choose not to play it, but now I've got several hundred dollars worth of models, paints, etc. that I collected over the year since I started. I feel betrayed. Sure I can find another game to play, but it's kinda like a song you really like. I don't want to hear We Are the Champions by Queen sung by Lady Gaga, or Elton John, Madonna, or Disturbed. Not quite a perfect analogy but maybe one that got the message across.

taurus-marstein
06-07-2015, 04:00
Good point.
I feel betrayed too. I wish it was profitable for GW to just write some ggood rules and playtest them.

Kings of war looks very dumbed down, I didn't see much random stuff happening in that game (how will I play my skaven???)

big squig
06-07-2015, 04:04
Good point.
I feel betrayed too. I wish it was profitable for GW to just write some ggood rules and playtest them.

Kings of war looks very dumbed down, I didn't see much random stuff happening in that game (how will I play my skaven???)

There's a ratkin list on their forums they just put up. link (https://manticforum.com/forum/kings-of-war/kings-of-war-2-beta/230101-new-army-lists-for-playtesting-updated-02-07-2015)

They're in open beta test right now and will be published with the next book.

The game is MUCH sinplier than WHFB, but there's still a lot of depth and strategy to the game. Complex rules =/= game depth.

mweaver
06-07-2015, 04:37
Thanks, Chris. I did find a couple of reviews online. My impression is that the book has been flying under the radar for the most part.

Okuto
06-07-2015, 05:13
Other......off to warhammer roleplay with me.....

Will eventually hop the fence to the KoW camp to test things out though

I've played some AoS and I can see it's "appeal" but I don't see myself playing it long term(it needs alot of house ruling, gentleman agreements before hand)

I need a more steady fantasy game so KoW seems likely

taurus-marstein
06-07-2015, 06:11
Is there any chance GW wanted to scare people into selling off their armies so that when they DO release a 9th edition you have to start over collecting and buying models?

Maldrac
06-07-2015, 06:41
Is there any chance GW wanted to scare people into selling off their armies so that when they DO release a 9th edition you have to start over collecting and buying models?

While this would be a real crappy move by Gw, I hope it is true. I want 9th Edition, not this piece of ... game Age of Sigmar. I canmt really call it a game as it is unfinished, way overpriced and simply ridiculous.

snyggejygge
06-07-2015, 07:03
I was already moving towards Kings of War due to balance issues in 8:th, I had high hopes for 9:th, then Age of Sigmar came & the move was definitive.

taurus-marstein
06-07-2015, 07:19
I just don't see KoW giving me the fun I had playing fantasy. I love randomness, I love not knowing whether something will help me or hurt me (I play skaven)... And these other games (while tactical) often don't offer that flavorful experience.

I love the warhammer fluff and background too, which is definitely not the same in KoW.

I might even start bolt action. Do people play that game a lot?

KurganFr
06-07-2015, 07:36
I am already playing Kings of War because the simpler rules make it much easier to get non-gamers involved, but I will certainly keep playing WHFB 5/6/7/8th Edition (depending on what army books I have for each). Age of Sigmar, well, I will give it a try (again because my non-gamer friends might be persuaded) but I am rather dubious. The thing with small rulesets is that they still have to be tactically interesting. X-Wing for example immediately makes you consider the trade-offs between maneuverability, firepower and defense. AoS does not seem to have any trade-offs: it's just a big power-gaming murderbrawl.

RevEv
06-07-2015, 07:36
I'm ready to give AoS a go, especially as I believe the means of army selection will get me more games against my regular opponent who has been put off by the time involved in setting up a game.

I have little time myself for playing anyone else.

Still keeping 8th Ed just in case.

thesoundofmusica
06-07-2015, 07:54
Voting is fun and all but lets remember that many of those voting didnt play Warhammer in the first place.

RevEv
06-07-2015, 07:57
Voting is fun and all but lets remember that many of those voting didnt play Warhammer in the first place.

Quoted for truth - well observed!

Havarel
06-07-2015, 08:27
Quoted for truth - well observed!
Which is pretty much the point of AoS; to draw new players in.

I for one am incredibly interested in collecting AoS now. It's incredibly liberating knowing I can buy a box of minis and actually use them.

KurganFr
06-07-2015, 08:32
Which is pretty much the point of AoS; to draw new players in.

I for one am incredibly interested in collecting AoS now. It's incredibly liberating knowing I can buy a box of minis and actually use them.
I agree that it is liberating, but it would be even more exciting with a decent ruleset underneath.

Treadhead_1st
06-07-2015, 08:58

Is this really true?

At the time I am writing this, 67.45% of people are saying they will play some previous variant of Warhammer - which seems odd if they don't actually play Warhammer in the first place.

DinDon
06-07-2015, 09:08

You need to realise that this is Warseer. Many of the "veterans"have stoped playing/buying Warhammer years now.
I voted 8th ed (cause i have the minis, so why not) and AOS cause i tried the rules and i actually liked them. I saw potential.

Ps. I am a collector first, a gamer second.

Pacman
06-07-2015, 10:19
Realistically what I play is going to depend on what others at my club want to play, it's going to have to be a bit of a group decision. The guys that have fairly generic fantasy armies (Undead, Orcs, Dwarves, Elves) can probably hop over to any system without much grief, but those with GW-specific armies (Lizardmen, Skaven, etc) might have pretty limited options.
I'm keen to try out War and Sorcery (http://scarabminiatures.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=58). It's an offshoot of War and Conquest (which is itself based on WAB) and we play a lot of it already. The main advantage is everybody knows the rules and they're excellent, the downside is that War and Sorcery is pretty unloved, even by the WaC community.
I've looked at the rules for Kings of War and I'm interested enough to give them a go at some point, but not really convinced. Hordes of the Things has been mentioned before, but anything related to DBM is always going to split opinion down the middle.

mrtn
06-07-2015, 11:51
I might even start bolt action. Do people play that game a lot?Seems like it has quite a few thriving communities, both the Americans, Brits and Aussies have loads of tournaments and events. The game is very fun.

That's true, but don't you think we are still potential customers? If the new Warhammer had shared some of the features of games I like* I would have bought it. As it stands I won't even download AoS for free.

*simpler rules, unit-basing, the right amount of randomness, in other words something close to Hail Caesar.

Seelenhaendler
06-07-2015, 12:14
Of course I will play with 'my own house rules' (see my sig)!

When I started the project 5 years ago I fully expected that GW would not improve the system / their behavior but I did not expect them to axe the whole system :eek:

I never regretted the hundreds of hours (actually more than 1000!) I put into the project but now I know for sure that there will be no improved official WFB ruleset in the future (unless something dramatic happens) that could change my mind.
I only hope that there will be suppliers for beautiful / high quality fantasy miniatures that are usable for rank and file system in the future!

If you like Oldhammer, especially the 6th/7th ed ruleset, take a look at the project. You wont regret it! :)

Borri
06-07-2015, 12:22
I will be playing Malifaux as my main hobby game, it has a dark and funny atmosphere that reminds me of the early days of GW. (By the way they have a new starter set coming out in August that is perfect for new players). They also have a RPG. The developing story of Malifaux is really interesting. You can download the stories for free on their podcast if you are interested : http://breachsidebroadcast.podbean.com/

I will continue to collect my dwarf army and use it with the Kings of War rules. I'm going to pick up the rest of the new stuff on ebay. I've also been collecting Scum for X-Wing and love it as a quick and fun pickup game.

Warhammer is dead for me. We too had a thriving group, lost most of them with Daemons/DarkElves in 7th (no balance), everybody else quit after Storm of Magic (too much silliness). So we have been looking at other options for a long time. It looks like with this release that all of the things that drove us away from Warhammer have been turned up to 11. Such a silly unbalance mess of a game. I still can't believe that the current management of GW would be so irresponsible.

Catflap
06-07-2015, 13:28
My mates and me will continue to play 8th edition. Besides that we stepped over to Bolt Action because we are all a bit of historical ww2 geezers and having a blast with that. Will be looking at King of War 2.0 also.

Odin
06-07-2015, 13:36
8th edition with house rules, Guild Ball and Malifaux.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Kyriakin
06-07-2015, 13:39
Other by starting Warmaster

HelloKitty
06-07-2015, 13:42
I am doing Age of Sigmar, 8th edition, Kings of War for my fantasy wargaming.

NoobLord
06-07-2015, 13:44
Voted 'other'.

Gonna check out Frostgrave when it comes out in a couple of weeks.

(the 20 hard plastic henchmen box with a ton of options for 20 is certainly ticking some of my boxes)

duffybear1988
06-07-2015, 13:50
6th edition Fantasy, 8th edition Fantasy - specifically Triumph and Treachery (I like my fun to be my fun and not forced like in AoS), Guildball, Malifaux, Warmachine/Hordes, Bolt Action, Dust, X Wing, SAGA, Warhammer 30k (because FW actually know how to make rules), Lion Rampant, Ronin etc. I've pre-ordered Frostgrave and I may even try Kings of War 2.

aprilmanha
06-07-2015, 13:52
Warmahordes for me :)

Maldrac
07-07-2015, 17:40
One of GW's lead designers sheds some light on GW's thoughts behind AoS:

http://captiongenerator.com/48861/Age-of-Sigmar-interview

MiyamatoMusashi
07-07-2015, 17:50
Dragon Rampant (fantasy Lion Rampant) confirmed for December apparently.

Cherrystone
07-07-2015, 17:53
All of them except warmahoards.

lbecks
07-07-2015, 17:54
Total War: Warhammer.

Hedgehobbit
07-07-2015, 19:18
Total War: Warhammer.
That would be my vote as well.

memitchell747
07-07-2015, 19:45
Does voting AoS mean introductory rules, no settings yet, a background only hinted at, games cobbled together with a hodgepodge of existing models on funky bases, still stuck to movement trays, and no sure idea how the game is really designed to be played, how the models work together, how the factions are themed, and why? Or, is it also voting for new-look techno-fantasy models along the style of the Starter set (and video games), a lot of big models mixed in with not-so-smaller ones, lots of synergy between model types, free-flowing rules, scenarios, campaigns, settings, and a much better feel for game balance (or not)? Because, until I know for sure what AoS is going to be, I'm undecided. Because I know right now it is NOT army building, metagaming, WAAC, tournaments, $100 Army Books, Armybuilder, models I can't use, models I always use, stuff I really hate, nitpicking rules to death, dismissing alternate settings and turning noses up at narratives and themes, no room for sieges and jungle rules, and ships and ANYTHING other than two equal armies two-feet apart on a terrainless 4'x6' plain, I am a little interested. Why not?

Deadhorse
07-07-2015, 19:45
One of GW's lead designers sheds some light on GW's thoughts behind AoS:

http://captiongenerator.com/48861/Age-of-Sigmar-interview

Oh man that's a good vid.

Tokamak
07-07-2015, 19:47
Thanks. Spend a good half hour on it and then the mods deleted the topic. I guess it was offensive in a way or something.

Sagat
07-07-2015, 19:54
I'll be playing kings of war, Warmahordes, x-wing and Infinity. Looking to try DzC and Malifaux too

Kyriakin
07-07-2015, 20:18
Thanks. Spend a good half hour on it and then the mods deleted the topic. I guess it was offensive in a way or something.
Wondered where that topic went.

Video is awesome. Especially in the way that the "mash it all into each other" bit matches his hand movements.

hoggle76
07-07-2015, 20:30
AoS (I get it and i like it!), kow for huge games but likely use smaller scale models as it works well for that, the wonderful forgotten gem that is grenadier/mirliton fantasy warriors, and 6-8th wfb and occasionally 3rd if i can convince people to ignore the ott complicated unit formation rules in it.

T.D.
07-07-2015, 20:43

Your vid? Fantastic work my good man :yes:

Getifa Ubazza
07-07-2015, 20:58
I will buy AoS and probably just play the models in the box along with the Slaanesh army I already have. I will also be picking up Malifaux's new 2 player starter when it comes out and expanding both crews in the box.

However, my main fantasy game will likely be Kings of War. The only way I get to play is to go to tournaments and Mantic are the only ones really supporting that. Wyrd games are also great for that, but Malifaux is not an easy game to learn on your own.

Biff'd
07-07-2015, 21:06
Good to see that Warmahordes is the biggest "Not Fantasy or Fantasy clone" option. Give it a try if you haven't. It's pretty awesome.

DaemonReign
07-07-2015, 21:40
The advent of 8th Edition up to around the release of the Empire Army Book was the 'golden age' of the system as far as I am concerned.
After that things started to go belly up and now we know why.
Given that me and a couple of childhood buddies collaborated on collections that dwarves just about everybody in terms of quantity (and mostly quality too, frankly) it's certainly possible that we'll re-unite to play some 8th Edition battles at some point in the future. Once our kids are old enough to not eat the models it might be fun to show them what we wasted all their would-be trust-funds on 'back in the day'.
But Age of Sigmar... Noo.. Emphatically and with resignation.. Just No.

Corax
07-07-2015, 22:32
As someone who has just begun to look at returning to the hobby after a few years lost in the wilderness of World of Warcraft, the death of WFB is hugely disappointing. I'm now looking at either scrambling to get all the units for a 7/8th Ed. army before they run out, or giving Kings of War a shot. KoW looks highly appealing from a cost perspective, but I don't know if there is a community for it where I live.

Ironpit
07-07-2015, 22:59
i never thought about trying KoW, but now I will try it.

doomspittle
07-07-2015, 23:02
Funniest video I've seen for years, fair play.

The_Real_Chris
08-07-2015, 02:24
And Mantic are really being entertained currently...

>>>>>>>>>.
With the Kings of War 2nd Edition Rulebook now with the printers, we were honoured that the legendary Rick Priestley – creator of the original Warhammer Fantasy Battle Game – agreed to write an foreword to the book for us.

Here are a few extracts:

“When asked to write these few introductory words I hardly expected to find myself writing the foreword to what is undoubtedly now the most popular mass-battle fantasy game on the market!”

“Many converts have found themselves won over by a mixture of solid game play, straight-forward but elegant mechanics, and an approach to development that plainly puts the player first.”

“Well done especially to its creator and designer Alessio Cavatore. I have worked together with Alessio on many gaming projects over the years, both historical and fantasy, and have always appreciated his clear and focussed approach to game design, instinct for uncluttered rules, and – most of all – boundless and unquenchable enthusiasm for games and gaming.”

KurganFr
08-07-2015, 04:08
When I was 10 and playing 40K 2nd Edition, Rick Priestley and Andy Chambers were like gods to me. As if I needed another reason to play Kings of War...

Philhelm
08-07-2015, 04:23
When I was 10 and playing 40K 2nd Edition, Rick Priestley and Andy Chambers were like gods to me. As if I needed another reason to play Kings of War...

I used to like reading the battle reports with all the familiar, friendly faces. And end of an era. :(

qqniox
08-07-2015, 04:36
Have played some Kings of War (1:ed) and found it nice, even if i liked warhammer better. Now that warhammer as i knew it is gone and a new edition of kings of war is here it could be time to move over to a new system.
Warmahordes is also nice, although i dont like the instant win when the "general" dies, as a vampire counts-player since 5th ed warhammer it could perhapse only be a old habit.

KurganFr
08-07-2015, 04:54
I used to like reading the battle reports with all the familiar, friendly faces. And end of an era. :(
I agree. The rot set in when GW started behaving like a faceless corporate giant instead of making me feel like their designers were having a conversation with me through the White Dwarf magazine.

As I picked up an Undead army in the Kings of War Kickstarter, and in tribute to my favourite era of GW, I have decided to paint my army after all the units in Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat (banners included).

AverageBoss
08-07-2015, 05:28
I am moving on to another game, though I do not consider it a fantasy game (although it does have fantasy elements). Malifaux. It's a great and unique game with a very friendly community. Brings back some Mordheim memories, though I find it much more streamlined. It's entirely mission based, you can be wiped of the board and win if you accomplished your missions and your opponent did not.

I am also enjoying Star Wars Armada.

I will give KoW a go to fill that mass battles hole, but I almost don't even want to look at my GW models at this point.

MiyamatoMusashi
08-07-2015, 08:18

One of many reasons to read Wargames Soldiers and Strategy magazine is Rick's regular design column. Always an absolute delight to read. Where White Dwarf is reduced to just telling you how amazing all the new products are, WSS is worth the admission price for Rick's column alone (and there's much more in there).

KurganFr
08-07-2015, 08:23
Thanks; I'll check it out!

Samsonov
08-07-2015, 08:29
This. As primarily a historical and non-GW player, Rick's Warmaster rules and Andy's Battlefleet Gothic are still plausibly my favourite games, very innovative, strategic and entertaining. For me they are so much better than warmahordes or the warmahordes clone AoS appears to be. I downloaded KoW v2 last week, now have added incentive to read it.

Odin
08-07-2015, 10:44
I'll be playing kings of war, Warmahordes, x-wing and Infinity. Looking to try DzC and Malifaux too
I had my second demo game of Malifaux last night and I am loving it. And if you like Malifaux you may well like Guild Ball... it has the tightest ruleset I have ever used. Clean and simple, but with endless tactical options.

Odin
08-07-2015, 10:49
Good to see that Warmahordes is the biggest "Not Fantasy or Fantasy clone" option. Give it a try if you haven't. It's pretty awesome.
My issue with AoS style is that it has become too much like Warmahordes, with oversized weapons and OTT musclebound monsters. Fine if that's your thing, but if the visuals of AoS are what put you off, I don't see WH as an alternative.

Cheeslord
08-07-2015, 11:40
The title of this thread will make an awesome custom card for "cards against humanity"... I shall copy it up tonight.

Mark.

Pacman
08-07-2015, 16:11
One of many reasons to read Wargames Soldiers and Strategy magazine is Rick's regular design column. Always an absolute delight to read. Where White Dwarf is reduced to just telling you how amazing all the new products are, WSS is worth the admission price for Rick's column alone (and there's much more in there).

+1 to this. WSS can be a bit hit and miss. If they're not covering a conflict you're into that month then many of the articles won't be interesting, but the columns are always with a read.