PDA

View Full Version : Who's played a game of aos?

Drothar
04-07-2015, 20:06
Now that the rules are up. Has anyone given it a try? And if so, what was your experience?

im thinking of giving it a try using the base points from 8th Ed. So s unit of 10 gobbles would cost 30. And just use the base price for heroes without any options.

What at do you guys think?

Flipmode
04-07-2015, 20:14
Notime.rantingonline.toobusyforgames.

Shandor
04-07-2015, 20:32
Now that the rules are up. Has anyone given it a try? And if so, what was your experience?

im thinking of giving it a try using the base points from 8th Ed. So s unit of 10 gobbles would cost 30. And just use the base price for heroes without any options.

I did play 5 Games today. Well is a bit like a Minigame for Warhammer. The Rules are really complex with all those Unit Rules. Tactis is almost not there. since you can look, attack and shoot in every direction you just move forward have a big Ball of units in the middle rolling dice. We did try to make kinda equal Armies but it never worked out well.
If you play it as an "Try out Game" in a GW Store you might be impressed and have fun. If you play it on a regular basis its just lacking on every end.

Mawduce
04-07-2015, 20:33

youtube age of sigmar battle report. there are a few up. from what i gather people are having a really hard time balancing army strength. there might be a way to do it, but it's gonna be a long time.

Memnon
04-07-2015, 22:26
Played 3 games; generally I'm a fan, it's funny which is the main thing for me- trying to catch my opponents eye when doing a bloodwrack stare was great fun!

Balance wise, I believe it should be self arranging if you're playing regular opponents; generally we will know what everyone else has and will field a similar number of warscrolls to keep it simple. It really does rely a lot on having like minded opponents.

The sudden death objective is quite good, especially as you don't have to declare it straight away (it seems)

Battleshock is a good mechanic, but shifting big units is going to be horrendous- tarpits rule AoS.

I like that combats are worked out alternately- I can attack with one unit, then my opponent activates a unit ins totally different combat- makes you think where you really need to attack first!

Overall I reckon I'm going to enjoy it, but many more games need to be played before I'm 100%

Ste

WhispersofBlood
04-07-2015, 22:57
youtube age of sigmar battle report. there are a few up. from what i gather people are having a really hard time balancing army strength. there might be a way to do it, but it's gonna be a long time.

We have been doing a pre-determined number of warscrolls, mostly between 5-10. And... its been quite good. We are quite enjoying deciding on startegy game to game rather than at home on the internet during the list writing phase. It gives us the chance to minimize bad match ups, but ultimately it rewards having a large collection of painted models.

We're trying to decide how many formats we can run through quickly. Highlander, restrictions, etc. I think 5-8 Highlander might be the best for and seriously competitve group.

Hawthorne
04-07-2015, 23:31
I've played 2 games with the starter box and 2 games of "normal"ish armies. We are starting by using the starter box as a frame of reference (basically come up with a list that seems about as powerful as one of those armies). Both the second two games were pretty close (one close as in both armies nearly destroyed and the second close in that the sudden death condition was nearly met, but wasn't and the other player ended up eventually winning). In the next few weeks our group is planning on slowly scaling things up to find where we think a "standard" game size should be for us and get a mental idea of how "powerful" that is.

I'm not saying that's the way it should be (obviously it would be way easier with some sort of army construction rules, and it will be awkward to play against people who aren't part of my regular gaming group). But it's something. It's still new enough that we will probably have fun with it for a few months (games seem shorter compared to similar sized 8th edition games, rules are new, units that we've had forever see new light etc.). I'm not going to defend AoS to the death (and I hope they have plans in the future to at least give us a better idea on how to construct armies or more ways to construct "Fluffy" armies). But it's a pretty good time.

It's not 8th edition, but I've been playing 8th edition for 6 years so this is a welcome new game (and it's very different than games like 40k, Warmahordes, or whatever despite what some people say IMO).

Dark_Mage99
05-07-2015, 01:15
Played one game - was a lot of fun. Felt like Warhammer on easy mode, but was really cinematic and fresh. So many units that were previously unusable are great to use.

We just said: One hero, and 40 wounds total in the army.

bobix
05-07-2015, 01:28
Made 2.5 games with 1 chaos lord on demonic steed, 8 hound, 5 knight vs 1 beastmen lord, 1 greater bray shaman, 10 ungor, 10 bestigor. (30 wounds vs 30 wounds)

Game is fun, fast, a lot more tactical than the 4 pages rules say.
There is a lot of special power, it's easy to forget stuff. (maybe a bit too much)
This game is not like any GW games before, it's between mtg and xwing.

game 1 was smash in the center.

Game 2 was a lot more tactical with a lot of terrain abuse, 3" countercharge mouv. Honestly it's was *********** brilliant.

we started game 3 but wife came back with kids :'(. (2-0 for me yay!)

BTW : we played with measuring from base not from model :D

taurus-marstein
05-07-2015, 04:41
Ogres seem insanely good thus far. Most of them have many attacks each, and most importantly they do 2 or 3 wounds with each hit. Literally any unit other than a horde of 1 wound guys get curb stomped.

TheGreatestGood
05-07-2015, 04:47
Well its heartening to see people are getting some positives from playing the game, and it's not horrendous. Keep praying to Sigmar for points values or simillar and we may be getting somewhere

taurus-marstein
05-07-2015, 04:52
No, there will never be point values. But as many of these posts say: you dont need point values. Honestly. Give it a few weeks and everyone will know how to play this game in a fun way (like dont take X).
I am gonna keep watching bat reps until I figure out whether this game is truly crud.