PDA

View Full Version : What I don't understand about AoS. No Whine Edition.

Sexiest_hero
05-07-2015, 03:59
1. People working so hard to make an actual game out of this pastime fun. If the community had worked so hard fix the few issues of 8th (some 6ths spells, some points costs), It could have been even better. It was the most balanced edition (IMHO). It needed a little more polish.

2.The lack of magic Items. Balance across lords and heroes was not the point of the game, They could have ported in the magic Items from 8th or any edition in a "take one of each in your army, have fun" set up. The loss of customization of heroes is a crippling one, and one I don't understand if balance isn't an issue and fun is.

Other things are just nitpicks ( No necromancer on corpse cart ).

3. Why print some books "Tomb kings" the main army I play, in paper back right before they are yanked. Is this 9th, will 8th books be back as legacy books". I'm just completely confused.

Like I said I don't have anything against what they wanted to do with AoS. I'm baffled at how they and the community have both handled it.

Lord Dan
05-07-2015, 04:12
Moved to General.

=][=

Kisanis
05-07-2015, 04:20
It just feels like a desperate idea to reinject sales into fantasy with a good sounding idea (we have to reinvent from the ground up) with a terrible execution (we removed unit customization, points and structure of any form, in exchange you get to dance and sing your way to victory; also, Oruks now.)

I want to like AOS.
I want fantasy to have life again.
I want fantasy to have a skirmish option that can get people into the game with a low entry cost.

But balance helps make it fun - removing all notions of balance means you (GW) want us to essentially finish the game. My response would be, why bother playing warhammer then?
Again, I don't dislike it. I want to keep trying it and see where it goes, and see what the next few months bring. But the whole concept just seems so half baked and poorly planned.

Sexiest_hero
05-07-2015, 05:03
Thanks lord dan IDK how it it got in the wrong Forum :P.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
05-07-2015, 05:36
I remember how 8th had a rough start but, like the op said, turned out to be the most balanced edition. I've already distanced myself from wargaming because of real life...having sold a lot of my gw stuff as well as making plans to sell my warmachine stuff soon...but with a total reboot of my first wargaming love,I will watch with great interest with the hopes gw pulls it together. While I don't have the time to paint and game now, when I return to wargaming I hope I will have good reason to return to my first love. I am worried however as sixth edition ravening hordes was an example of a perfect rollout for a paradigm shifting edition change. The rules and warscrolls do leave a lot to be desired, but so far, out of that which is present, there's nothing yet I feel should not be inn the game.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

rmeister0
05-07-2015, 05:49
I want fantasy to have a skirmish option that can get people into the game with a low entry cost.

...that's actually playable.

AoS got one thing exactly right: buy a box, assemble it, paint it, put it into your army right away.

Unfortunately that's one of the few things it got right.

Nightfall Shimmer
05-07-2015, 13:10
I'm fairly certain all the warscrolls are more for the Starter Box. Don't want to play Khorne Goretide? Switch it with a Skaven Verminous Horde instead, etc.

Some of the older rumors where 'You pick a God and build your army around that and the synergies between your units.' and 'Heroes power up as the game goes on' we've seen none of that yet. If the other rumors of Campaign Packs are right, magic spell and items and the Gods and Realm rules will be in them.

In short, we might just have only seen the tip of the iceburg. We have no idea how big it is. (Optionally, insert GW as the Titanic jokes here.)

Shards of Basalt
05-07-2015, 15:02
2.The lack of magic Items. Balance across lords and heroes was not the point of the game, They could have ported in the magic Items from 8th or any edition in a "take one of each in your army, have fun" set up. The loss of customization of heroes is a crippling one, and one I don't understand if balance isn't an issue and fun is.
Yes that's a pretty major problem for me too. The worst part is that 8th edition was already limiting options there with the smaller magic item lists in the army books so it feels like a continued trend towards something I don't want rather than something I can hope will come later.

HelloKitty
05-07-2015, 15:21
I think most of what we are reading today is entirely emotional knee jerk reactions. No one has any time with the system to really give a good opinion on it.

The lack of points is the only thing I don't like about it, and yeah the community is working to fix that.

The problem with the community trying to fix 8th is simply the community can never get out of its own way. It always devolves into bickering about who is in charge, and whose ideas get to trump others and never agreeing on things.

I'm interested to see what the community pulls from this because without points you have no organized games so in essence the community *has* to pull together on this one. Ours has started creating a points system for an Azyr campaign starting in mid Sept (and should actually be encompassing several cities to include Cincinnati sir so I hope to see your shining happy face).

theunwantedbeing
05-07-2015, 15:26
1. People working so hard to make an actual game out of this pastime fun. If the community had worked so hard fix the few issues of 8th (some 6ths spells, some points costs), It could have been even better. It was the most balanced edition (IMHO). It needed a little more polish.
The community can't decide on fixes though.
Just look at cannons, you have a portion saying "we need them exactly as they are" and another portion saying "change them" but nobody can agree how to change them and nobody agrees on anything.

GW have been cutting back on magical items since the start of 8th and they've been doing a terrible job balancing the ones they bothered with, cutting them entirely is the best step for them due to their rules creation method being so shoddy.

3. Why print some books "Tomb kings" the main army I play, in paper back right before they are yanked. Is this 9th, will 8th books be back as legacy books". I'm just completely confused.
I thought the tomb king book had been out ages?
Either way, they were probably trying to make a bit of easy money off people buying up stocks of 8th ed books in retaliation for the new edition being a complete change.
This is 9th edition, just look at the GW website...everything 8th edition is now gone, this is the new edition.
There may be a return to army books, there may not be, it won't be soon.