PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite pc game

plasmadaemon
14-06-2005, 17:00
What's your favourite computer game at the moment?

mine is HL2 but Unreal tournament 2004 is very close to HL2.

Rik Valdis
14-06-2005, 18:05
World Of Warcraft. I love the game, about the only problem is that I made a HUGE mistake buying it before my exams. I am really going to regret that.

Chuffy
14-06-2005, 18:20
Starcraft.

Brimstone
14-06-2005, 19:11
Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Currently playing as a Malkavian although I'll restart as a Nosferatu once I finish it.

Lostanddamned
14-06-2005, 19:16
Morrowind

I can do anything you say? hmmmm.

*streaks* *gets drunk* *takes "substances"* *dies*

samael
14-06-2005, 19:19
Winner overall for me are the Baldurs Gate games, think I'll play them again during the holidays.

At the moment I'm very busy conquering the world in Rome:Total War.

blitz589
14-06-2005, 19:22
Dawn of war

Crube
14-06-2005, 19:25
Changes almost daily, but I'm in to Point n Click adventures, so at the moment - Syberia 2 was the last one I finished. Any of the LUcasArts games would be right up there.

The boyz
14-06-2005, 20:19
Dawn of War or Return to Castle Wolfenstien. But the games I have most fond memorys of was Doom or the original Castle Wolfenstien. Those games where great.

Ozorik
14-06-2005, 20:34
Hmm. I dont rank games in order but here are a few off the top of my head.

World of Warcraft

Rome:TW

HL2

Day of defeat

X-com apocalypse

Warcraft III

Blitzkreig (the original not the expansions)

Starcraft

hostile waters

And more

Firebreath
14-06-2005, 20:34
Difficult to answer, since I don't play much games on PC anymore.
Probably Dawn Of War, but only the single player missions.
And I occasionally play Delta Force: Black Hawk Down in the Novalogic stat-servers, but it's hardly my favourite.

I might try Guild Wars, though.

Antaeus
14-06-2005, 22:00
hostile waters

Whoop, another Hostile Waters fan :) Wish that game worked properly on the new PC.

At the moment, somewhere between Dawn of War, Knights of the Old Republic and KOTOR II.

Brother_McBeaner
14-06-2005, 23:19
In no particular order

Dawn of War

Morrowind

Rome: TW

HL2

Rise of nations

Might and Magic 7

Vampire: Bloodlines

Chaos gate and Final liberation were also kinda fun.

wilting_laughter
14-06-2005, 23:46
I'm mostly playing Rome: TW and Morrowind (Cant wait for oblivion!) at the moment.

Got to love the classic DooM.

Played so much Dawn of War over the BETA didn't play it much after it was released.

Rise of Nations is good.

FF VII

UFO: ENEMY UNKNOWN / X-COM: UFO DEFENCE

Never played starcraft which everybody seems to think is amazing.

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory is good stuff.

woofie
15-06-2005, 06:43
Probably Rise of Nations and Warcraft III. Best RTS games out there.

And with the games mentioned above, you might expect that I'm an avid RTS player.
Well, yes. I'm acutally an adventure game lover. Too bad adventure pc games are nothing but history now. Here's a list of my favorite adventure games (that many of you may have a VERY hard time finding)

Alone in the Dark
Maniac Mansion 2
Space Quest Series
Zork: Nemesis
7th Guest
Sins of the Fathers (Gabriel Knight I)
Beast Within (Gabriel Knight II)
Myst (I think you could easily buy Myst III)
Phantasmagoria 1 and 2
Full Throttle
Grim Fandango

Fallout I and II (Wait, that's an RPG!)

Geez...I'm just a classic dork.

woofie
15-06-2005, 06:45
UFO: ENEMY UNKNOWN / X-COM: UFO DEFENCE

What about UFO: Terror from the Deep?

These UFO games are downright brutal and painstakingly hard, but had sh*tloads of FUN :)

worldshatterer
15-06-2005, 08:09
SO many to choose from...

Vampire:Bloodlines
KOTOR
Halo
Warcraft III
Morrowind
Ground Control
MechCommander 2
Soldier of Fortune 2
etc.....

Nukem
15-06-2005, 08:26
SoF2
Doom3 and RoE
HL2
BF2
WoW
D2 LoD
C&C Generals
C&C Tiberiun Sun
Original Doom & 2 & Final Doom
Rtcw Enemy Territory
CoD & Expansion
Black and White... nothing like lightning your people on fire and lobbing them at another town
BattleField 1942 / Vietnam / EoD

Uhhh the list goes on and on.

Kittah
15-06-2005, 10:51
Morrowind

*streaks* *gets drunk* *takes "substances"* *dies*

Its predecessor, Daggerfall is better ;)

Daggerfall takes the title for me, purely because of its vastness, richness and beauty - especially considering its age. Amazing game... beautiful in such a purely classic way.

Of course, I'm greatly anticipating the next game in the series, Oblivion. From what we've been shown it looks VERY promising in the visual department, though that was the same problem with Morrowind. I found Morrowind to look beautiful but the gameplay wasn't half the fun of Daggerfall in my experience.

Other favourites include Starcraft, Diablo II, Half-Life, Half-Life 2

wilting_laughter
15-06-2005, 11:20
What about UFO: Terror from the Deep?

These UFO games are downright brutal and painstakingly hard, but had sh*tloads of FUN :)

I never really got into it. It looks worse than the orginal and is so similar I'd rather play the classic (its more of an expansion than a sequel).

For years I was the only person I knew who finished UFO. :D

Its predecessor, Daggerfall is better ;)
Daggerfall takes the title for me, purely because of its vastness, richness and beauty - especially considering its age. Amazing game... beautiful in such a purely classic way.

Of course, I'm greatly anticipating the next game in the series, Oblivion. From what we've been shown it looks VERY promising in the visual department, though that was the same problem with Morrowind. I found Morrowind to look beautiful but the gameplay wasn't half the fun of Daggerfall in my experience.

I've spent a lot of time on the TES forums and from what I've heard I'm excited that Oblivion will deliver on gameplay (maybe not quite as in depth as daggerfall - which I never played) but I believe Oblivion will be a healthy balance between the pervious titles in the TES series.

C&C Tiberiun Sun

Worst game in the series if you ask me :(

salty
15-06-2005, 11:24
Europa Universalis II - Its kinda fun when it says "You prevented the American Revolution" :evilgrin:

Salty :)

Chuffy
15-06-2005, 12:09
I'd like to say to anybody playing RTW, please, please tell me your playing it modded.

Vanilla Rome is abysmal, Mod your game up quick if you do play normal Rome. Get RTR, SPQR or EB.

The Grand Wazoo
15-06-2005, 13:01
World of Warcraft is huge at the moment.

All-time favourites:

Fallout series
UFO series
Mean Streets
Championship Manager
Planescape: Torment
Might & Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven
Sam and Max
Monkey Island 1&2
Ultima series
Deus Ex (the first one, Invisible War is utter crap in comparison)

Rathgar
15-06-2005, 13:30
Thief II: The Metal Age.

Bubble Ghost
15-06-2005, 14:01
Morrowind

As long as "anything" means wandering around talking to cardboard people with nothing interesting to say, and killing inconsequential monsters in hundreds of identical caves.:D:p

Based on fondness of memories, mine's probably Baldur's Gate 2. I'm quite partial to the Icewind Dale games too; they're like a sort of hyper-detailed version of Gauntlet.

Oliver
15-06-2005, 14:23
Got to be Dawn of War and Battle For Middle earth. Although hostile waters is a good game (espically if you get it free for play testing it)

Chuffy
15-06-2005, 15:09
Got to be Dawn of War and Battle For Middle earth. Although hostile waters is a good game (espically if you get it free for play testing it)

Aaarrrgggh.

BFME!?

Argh! *Brain explodes*

charlie_c67
15-06-2005, 15:12
Adventure Quest. Simple on-line RPG that keeps me sane at work :D
Other than that, restricted to an old P450 till I find out whether I get my dyslexia help or not. So am playing a lot of Gran Theft Auto, Birth of the Federation and Champ manager 01/02

hairyman
15-06-2005, 15:57
Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Excellent game (that bit in the hotel with the ghost made me **** myself). Suffers a bit from the fighting, though... but makes up for it in atmosphere.

Along with Vampire, I'd have to agree with Morrowind, EU2, Baldurs Gate 2, Deus Ex, and the champ manager series. I'd also have to add the civ series... all fantastic games... and Elite from back in the day.

Nukem
15-06-2005, 17:00
Worst game in the series if you ask me :(

Hell no that game was great. RA1 was erm... yea I wont get into that one... RA2 well there was one strategy for each force... so you could expect what was coming. Generals is the best now, but for its time Tiberian Sun was the %#@^
I still remember owning people online in that game. Oh man those were some good times... now its the same... just in generals :evilgrin:

plasmadaemon
15-06-2005, 18:00
Thief II: The Metal Age.

i remember getting stuck on a blown-out fire lamp without any bows/throwing weapons and only a sword, there where like 10 guards trying to attack me with their swords, but they could reach me.

So i had to restart :( :o

Ozorik
15-06-2005, 18:04

Its aged badly but for its time it was excellent. I spent literally weeks on Bnet.

C&C generals was the best in the series IMO, the rest were just crap.

BFME!?

while not the best game Ive ever played its ok for some no brainer arcade 'RTS' action.

Chuffy
15-06-2005, 18:08

You really should, even today it still stands out with a great online community and loads of support from Blizzard. Excellent storyline, excellent single player, excellent multi-player, perfect balance and the graphics are still pretty good. If they did do a Starcraft 2 I hope for it to be sprite based. However you really needed to be there shortly after it came out and the years following it to truly appreciate it.

You must spawn more Overlords!

You must mine more Vespene Gas!

Ozorik
15-06-2005, 18:15
You must spawn more Overlords!

It was always supply depots for me. Or vashoom...argghh sound of a Dark templar eviscerating my marines when Ive have forgotten to build any cloak detection.

Chuffy
15-06-2005, 18:16
Need a light?

Kekekekekekeke ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

Xisor
15-06-2005, 18:45
Take it slow...

Starcraft
KOTOR 1 & 2
Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight

Between those three games, they have taken a huge portion of my life, with close runners up being Command and Conquer: Red Alert(plus expansions) and X-Wing Alliance.

Starcraft is an amasing story driven Strategy, KOTOR excellent story and gameplay coming out on top as simply astounding and Jedi Knight being my favourite online game(when using the SBX mod).

Xisor

warlordgrubnatz
15-06-2005, 19:07
morrowinds cool, but after playing for 3 weeks then geting a lare faction (ordinators) after you making the game impossible is annoying.

salty
15-06-2005, 19:12
OMG! How did I forget Starcraft!?!

I also forgot Hearts of Iron and Cossacks; European Wars. Anyone who hasn't played Cossacks really really should, because it is a great RTS. Hearts of Iron is just like EUII, but during the 2nd World War.

Very cool!

alterion
15-06-2005, 19:26
i war 2 edge of chaos.. if you havn;t played it you are not a true pc gamer.. also il2 sturmovik/fb/aep/pf.. a true man's game

Yorkiebar
15-06-2005, 19:37
Half-life. The original, that is. Sheer brilliance.
My other favourites include, but are certainly not limited to:
Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
GTA (the original)
GTA London
GTA Vice City
Fallout + Fallout II
Red Faction + R.F II
Alien vs. Predator + AvP II
Baldur's Gate + BG II
Icewind Dale + IWD II

There's loads more I'd like to try, though.

Chuffy
15-06-2005, 19:41
OMG! How did I forget Starcraft!?!

I also forgot Hearts of Iron and Cossacks; European Wars. Anyone who hasn't played Cossacks really really should, because it is a great RTS. Hearts of Iron is just like EUII, but during the 2nd World War.

Very cool!

Cossacks is a good game, to anybody who hasn't got it I recommend getting Back to War as it combines the original and expansion plus lots of extras into one version.

StugMeister
15-06-2005, 19:50
Gotta be the CombatMission series of games; there's nothing more satisying than hunting down, out-flanking and taking out a Tiger tank with your Shermans/T34s. :D

scottb
17-06-2005, 20:34
In no particular order:
Operation Flashpoint
GTA San Andreas
Dawn of War
Freelancer
UT2004
Syndicate/Syndicate Wars

Reinnon
17-06-2005, 21:52
Icewind dale...best character sound ever (the male fighter one, first on the list alone makes me play the game)...the expansion was a bit of a let down however.

Neverwinter night hordes of the underdark with my palemaster/monk....very enjoyable, the weapon master follower was a good character

planescape torment, for a story that is damn good

Sacrifice: again a very cool game and some of the sounds are great (my personal fav is the mutant)

transport tycoon was the first game i ever really played.....really enjoyed it just pity it doesn't like XP.

theres my list

DisruptorX
17-06-2005, 23:35
Icewind dale...best character sound ever (the male fighter one, first on the list alone makes me play the game)...the expansion was a bit of a let down however.

Neverwinter night hordes of the underdark with my palemaster/monk....very enjoyable, the weapon master follower was a good character

Sacrifice: again a very cool game and some of the sounds are great (my personal fav is the mutant)

transport tycoon was the first game i ever really played.....really enjoyed it just pity it doesn't like XP.

theres my list

Wait a minute.... you just mentioned every damn game that uses the infinity engine except for the best one: Baldur's Gate II.

Reinnon
18-06-2005, 09:17
baldurs gate....damn i forgot one!

opps, yeah it should be on there

warlordgrubnatz
19-06-2005, 10:38
all my favorite pc games... how long have you got:
Age of empire 2 age of kings
dawn of war
morowind+ bloodmoon+ tribual
command and conquer serise
sims serise
sim city serise
half life
doom 3
origonal dooms
halo
halo2.....

Rathgar
19-06-2005, 12:31
i remember getting stuck on a blown-out fire lamp without any bows/throwing weapons and only a sword, there where like 10 guards trying to attack me with their swords, but they could reach me.

So i had to restart :( :o

Ten guards after you?? You were a bit buggered anyway then. The whole point if Thief is to get in and out without being noticed if you can.

Fantastic game, very different pace to other FP games and amazing atmosphere. Shame some people just donít get it.

Edit: Baldurs gate, rules :)

The one and only James
19-06-2005, 13:03
Fallout, Best. Game. Ever. Hands down, if you don't enjoy this game your crazy. If you have never played it, pick up a copy. It's cheap since it cam out some time ago, I'd be supprised to see ot costing over 10$ U.S.

Forgotmytea
19-06-2005, 13:04
I have loads...

Dawn of War, Timesplitters 2, Timesplitters Future Perfect, GTA3, GTA Vice, Midtown Madness, Halo, Halo 2, Yuri's revenge, Vampire Night, Burnout 2, and Fire Warrior :D :chrome:.

Forgotmytea

Panophobia
21-06-2005, 14:38
I liked alot of games but as the best i'm thinking starcraft and warcraft just for the clicking on the characters and what they say.

In warcraft 3 the gryphon rider says after clicking on him for awhile " I got my warhammer for 40k!" Dwarf hunter "Guns don't kill people... I DO!" :D comedy and a real good rts!!!! I actually recently bought starcraft again its so fun and with map builder and all....

Enazel
21-06-2005, 14:53

theres my list
There is a 3rd party patch that allows Transport Tycoon to work on an XP machine. I believe i have it on my home machine if you interested?

x-esiv-4c
21-06-2005, 15:02
Favorite game? The game I would take with me on a desert island? Probably civilization.

pnweerar
21-06-2005, 15:13
Enjoying Dawn of War right now, but I have yet to see something top Starcraft.

-N

Cloudscape_online
21-06-2005, 15:33
Planetside.

Even better, Planetside 40K. Teh cool, if it were real.

Son of Morkai
21-06-2005, 20:35
Right now, my favorite is Heroes of Might and Magic III. I love playing the Necropolis, though I tend to **** off others (when playing multiplayer) by complaining about not having "profitable" battles (where I lose more units than I reanimate). Of course, they really start complaining once I start having "profitable" battles.

plasmadaemon
21-06-2005, 20:47
Ten guards after you?? You were a bit buggered anyway then. The whole point if Thief is to get in and out without being noticed if you can.

Fantastic game, very different pace to other FP games and amazing atmosphere. Shame some people just donít get it.

Edit: Baldurs gate, rules :)

but then i didn't understand the concept of 'hiding'. The second time i played it, i used hardcore stealz action :p

i also emeber killing the poor people who where trying to eat with a bow :eyebrows:

marineowar
22-06-2005, 11:03
I have to agree that Starcraft is possibly the best game ever made. My disc got buggered tho so I cant play till I get a new one. Is the expansion worth getting?

Other fav games are:
C&C series, I never finished Tiberium Sun, I ain't good enough *buries head in shame*
Freelancer, best space fighter game I've played, even better with mods.
Duke Nukem 3D, this was one of the first games I ever played.

marineowar

Punk_in_Drublic
22-06-2005, 11:35
Right now, my favorite is Heroes of Might and Magic III. I love playing the Necropolis, though I tend to **** off others (when playing multiplayer) by complaining about not having "profitable" battles (where I lose more units than I reanimate). Of course, they really start complaining once I start having "profitable" battles.

HOMM3 owns. It's actually the only game installed on my crappy old laptop (besides CIV2).

Later,

-Punk

Rathgar
22-06-2005, 11:36
oooooo.... i forgot:

FreeSpace 2

TenTailedCat
22-06-2005, 11:49
System Shock 2, still the greatest FPS on the PC, and easily the most freaky and twisted game I've played. My nerves were shredded by the end of it. Far too much time spent hiding around corners, hoping the gribblies don't see me.

I also like XCOM:Enemy Unknown, civilisationII and Neuromancer.

None of these games is less than five years old, which just goes to show how quality has dropped (Don't get me started on Half Life)

Larithen
22-06-2005, 15:12
Hmm... tough choice...

I would have to choose out of THANG online or Diablo II (those the only 2 good games i got :( ) probably Diablo II

Shining_Spear
22-06-2005, 17:50
Morrowind or Age of Mythology.

I have a bunch of other favorites, but I don't want to appear wishy-washy (even if I am).

Jaq Draco
23-06-2005, 03:35
@enazel: Where is that third party patch, i have transport tycoon but cant get it to work under XP and DosBox is a bitch to get running for me

EmperorsChamp01
23-06-2005, 10:30
I love DoW and Age of Empires

Enazel
23-06-2005, 10:35
@enazel: Where is that third party patch, i have transport tycoon but cant get it to work under XP and DosBox is a bitch to get running for me

I will dig it out as soon as i get home.

edit actually http://www.ttdpatch.net/

Jaq Draco
23-06-2005, 13:44
thank you so much mate
i cant wait to play it again

FrAnKtHeFrEaK
23-06-2005, 18:24
Star Wars: Battlefront is an awesome game, I can't stop playing it.

Snoozer
23-06-2005, 23:16
my favorite is either Fallout 2 or KotOR. Can't really decide, I also love all the Monkey Island games... well who dosen't??

(and no one has the permission to say "I don't", well actually you can think what ever you want as long as you agree with me ;) )

:D

Darmon
24-06-2005, 12:48
I've got to say IWD 1+2, and BG 2 ToA... Can also add NWN Platinum Edition..
Can't see why the male fighter 1 voice is so good, Reinnon, the male fighter 5 is much better...

After these games I have to add UT04, Diablo 2 LoD and Heroes of Might and Magic 4..

Jaq Draco
24-06-2005, 15:00
damn i only have the original transport tycoon, i cant get this one to work for it, either that or it does work for the original transport tycoon im just doing it wrong

skavenguy13
25-06-2005, 02:26
I always liked the good ol' games from when I was only a little child, looking at my brother playing NES/SNES/old computer. I even learned English at about 7 years old because of that. I think I really was marked by those games as my favorites right now are:

Civilization 2 (yeah I know, the 4th will be in stores soon)
Super Metroid (the SNES game...)
Super smash bros. (N64...somewhat recent)
Final Fantasy 3 (Was the 12th released yet?)
Starcraft (not working anymore)
Jet Force Gemini (N64... I think I only play cause I like the music)

........ don't ask:p

marineowar
26-06-2005, 11:24
Oh yeah. Console Games :D
Duck Hunt for NES was one of my favourites. It came on the same cartridge as Super Mario Brothers iirc

Galonthar
26-06-2005, 14:43
best game ever:
Morrowind (and,.... indeed.. MUST HAVE OBLIVION,.. allthough I doubt if it works on my pc)(LIGHT,.. some1 should start a poll on it,.... I wonder if its the most loved game here on portent..)

further:
- Gothic 1

- Savage, Battle for newerth

- WoW is pretty decent. but I don`t have it (I hate paying fees)

Bortus
29-06-2005, 07:35
Well I've got my favorites which I still play like:
Age of Empires: The Conquerors
C&C Red Alert 2
Fallout 1&2
D2 LoD
Torment
Axis & Allies
X-Com Series
Caesar 3
Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
Icewind Dale 1&2 w/expansion(currently playing)
Lots of great games out there but I'll yell ya I can't wait for the fall release of Age of Empires 3!!! Whoo-hoo!!!