PDA

View Full Version : AoS Grave Guard shields?

gorblud
06-07-2015, 12:11
Hey the grave guards shields state that they can add 1 to their save rolls against attacks that has rend '-'.

they have 5+ save base.

Does this mean that if an attack has rend -1, they don't get their +1 save roll AND they deduct 1 from their save, leaving them with a 6+ save?

Avian
06-07-2015, 12:27
That is what it means. They have a 5+ save, but will never need a 5+ to save.

As you can probably guess, these rules were never actually tested or proof-read.

gorblud
06-07-2015, 12:52
wow.. well that's retarded

mhsellwood
06-07-2015, 12:59
Grave Guard will need a 5+ to save if they are equipped with a great weapon. Therefore if they have a hand weapon and shield they are marginally tougher. If they are carrying a great weapon they are marginally more killy. Seems to me to mirror the 8th edition, except that the variation between the two options is less in Age of Sigmar

Ikhoornix
06-07-2015, 13:18
After reading the Battle Scroll for Grave Guards, I believe the Crypt Shields work as follows:
- V.S normal attacks: 5+ save
- V.S. attacks with rend -1: 5+ save (standard 5+ -1 for rend +1 for the shields)
- V.s. attacks with rend -2: 6+ save (standard 5+ -2 for rend +1 for the shields)

Avian
06-07-2015, 13:36
After reading the Battle Scroll for Grave Guards, I believe the Crypt Shields work as follows:
- V.S. attacks with rend -1: 5+ save (standard 5+ -1 for rend +1 for the shields)
- V.s. attacks with rend -2: 6+ save (standard 5+ -2 for rend +1 for the shields)
Eh? How did you get there from here:

Crypt Shields: You can add 1 to save rolls for a unit carrying Crypt Shields against attacks that have a Rend of ‘-’.

Whirlwind
06-07-2015, 13:42

This is not what it says at all.

The rules are:-

You can add 1 to save rolls for a unit carrying Crypt Shields against attacks that have a Rend of ‘-’

Therefore against weapons with a rend value of '-' you effectively have a save of 4+
Against weapons with a rend value of '-1' you effectively have a save of 6+
Against weapons with a rend value of '-2' you effectively have no save.

As noted above it is odd because you can never get your base (5+) save when you are armed with Wight blades and shields

Ikhoornix
06-07-2015, 14:11
You are both right. Like nature my mind hates voids, so it filled in a number there.

so yes, 4+ save v.s. attacked without rend and 5+ and 6+ against attacks with rend -1 and -2 respectively as described by Whirlwind.