PDA

View Full Version : AoS heroes

gorblud
06-07-2015, 12:58
As far as I can tell, heroes can't join units? Which means they're pretty much dead against any list with a decent amount of shooting.

Ikhoornix
06-07-2015, 13:20
I have seen the same problem.
A unit of 20 Glade Guards will seriously damage any model on its own. Especially with their (one use only) Arcane Bodkins shots (-3 Rend)

thesoundofmusica
06-07-2015, 17:21
I have seen the same problem.
A unit of 20 Glade Guards will seriously damage any model on its own. Especially with their (one use only) Arcane Bodkins shots (-3 Rend)

Yeah heroes cant join units. I guess you havf to use line of sight to survive. Maybe gear defensively, maybe use fast counter units. Most shooty units are rubbish in combat from what I've seen. Not sure if its a huge problem, will get my first games in tomorrow.

Ender Shadowkin
06-07-2015, 18:14
Yeah heroes cant join units. I guess you havf to use line of sight to survive. Maybe gear defensively, maybe use fast counter units. Most shooty units are rubbish in combat from what I've seen. Not sure if its a huge problem, will get my first games in tomorrow.

Looks to me like most shoot unts are just average in combat (hit on 4's, wound on 4's), but since they can also shoot into their own combat in the same turn, it makes them a lot better.

If you bring a big enough meat shield unit, a hero could be out of site behind it, lol, but yeah they pretty much die right away. Kinda sad. Should have at least been a look out sir mechanic....

Galushi
07-07-2015, 10:58
I'm guessing the 4pg abridged rules don't include allowing Heroes in Units, but this quoted from the Battleshock section makes me think it will be coming later...

. For eachpoint by which the total exceeds the highestBravery characteristic in the unit,

Why would they need to say that unless its possible for two different Bravery characteristics to be in the unit?

Also on the shooting front, I'm thinking of house ruling it to disallow shooting for a model if engaged by an enemy model (being within their melee range) and if a nonengaged model shoots at engaged models they do so at a penalty.

Tzar Boris
07-07-2015, 13:19
Nothing stopping you using a big unit as a meat shield. Unit of twenty moving with your hero in the middle. Like some grand retinue of bodyguards. If hero is same size as rest, LOS to them should be blocked on all sides by your meat shield. When it comes to charging, you may have to sacrifice a couple of inches movement to get your hero in front rank, but small price to pay to get him there in the first place (plus a lot of heroes move silghtly quicker than their troops).

Vladyhell
07-07-2015, 13:22
I'm guessing the 4pg abridged rules don't include allowing Heroes in Units, but this quoted from the Battleshock section makes me think it will be coming later...

Why would they need to say that unless its possible for two different Bravery characteristics to be in the unit?

Also on the shooting front, I'm thinking of house ruling it to disallow shooting for a model if engaged by an enemy model (being within their melee range) and if a nonengaged model shoots at engaged models they do so at a penalty.

Monsters/beasts and handlers I think.

Bede19025
09-07-2015, 13:31
Nothing stopping you using a big unit as a meat shield. Unit of twenty moving with your hero in the middle. ).

Now that's an excellent point I hadn't considered. There is nothing that says you can't intersperse models from one unit with another. The only restriction is that models from the same unit have to stay within 1" of each other. Since a Hero is a unit of one model, that's not a problem.

SimaoSegunda
10-07-2015, 01:19
My treekin will be running interference to stop people seeing my glade lord.

itcamefromthedeep
12-07-2015, 13:37
There's a unit or two where one model and one model alone gets a Bravery upgrade. That Battleshock thing is not evidence of characters joining units.