PDA

View Full Version : AOS- Retreating through Enemy Models?

Bede19025
06-07-2015, 15:33
Yesterday we played a Brets v. Orcs game.

My large unit of Orc Warriors completely surrounded a Paladin.

The Paladin died a grisly death, but we were wondering whether, assuming he'd survived, he'd have been able to retreat out of combat seeing that he'd have had to move across enemy models.

If this isn't allowed it seems a good way to kill some powerful named characters; e.g. surround Archaon with a unit of 50 Goblins. If he can't get away he'll die eventually from all those attacks.

What do you think?

Greyfire
06-07-2015, 15:48
I don't think he'd ever retreat. Battleshock is the only way to get him to flee, but he'd have to be dead for the battleshock test to even happen. Someone please let me know if I'm misunderstanding. I'm trying to get my head around single characters running around the battlefield with cannons and 20+ strong units. Thanks!

Bede19025
06-07-2015, 15:53
I don't think he'd ever retreat. Battleshock is the only way to get him to flee, but he'd have to be dead for the battleshock test to even happen. Someone please let me know if I'm misunderstanding. I'm trying to get my head around single characters running around the battlefield with cannons and 20+ strong units. Thanks!

No, that's not what I'm asking. In AoS a unit can Retreat out of combat voluntarily (not as a result of a Battleshock test). So in AoS units aren't locked in combat like they are in WFB.

Greyfire
06-07-2015, 16:08
Ah, I misunderstood what you were asking. Apologies for that.

Great question since I can't find anything other than the base movement rule that says "cannot be moved across other models." He may just be stuck there. Hopefully we'll both get a better answer than that shortly. Seems like that should have been anticipated since it'll likely happen to single model units.

Overtninja
06-07-2015, 16:19
It says in the Moving section of the rules (under the Movement Phase) that a model 'can be moved vertically in order to climb or cross scenery, but cannot be moved across other models'. Since retreating in AoS is done in the movement phase, you would not be able to move through other models in order to escape. It is, in fact, possible to wall in or surround other models so they physically cannot move away from you.

Bede19025
06-07-2015, 16:57
It says in the Moving section of the rules (under the Movement Phase) that a model 'can be moved vertically in order to climb or cross scenery, but cannot be moved across other models'. Since retreating in AoS is done in the movement phase, you would not be able to move through other models in order to escape. It is, in fact, possible to wall in or surround other models so they physically cannot move away from you.

Thanks. Watchout Bloodthrister! The Goblins will swarm you!

Dwane Diblie
06-07-2015, 17:38
With the exception of Flying units of course.