PDA

View Full Version : AoS Like "Wizkids" Hasbro style figure games?

Vos
06-07-2015, 17:25
Maybe GW are thinking they will release AoS aimed at being a hybrid version of the extremely simple plastic, pre-painted collectible miniature skirmish games that have been put out there in the past by producers like Hasbro?
Like the D&D skirmish game and the marvel wizkids style games? As they keep saying, they make figures, not games. This style of game is ALL about the figures rather than the 'core' rules.

The main difference is they want you to paint your own models of course but apart from that it seems similar?
Very simple rules aimed at young kids. Quick, throw down games that you can play in a school lunch hour.
Power mongering creep over time associated rules cards that always encourage you to get the 'latest' and 'most powerful' figures.

Very easy to periodically 're-set' the power curve by producing lots of little sets that can be swapped between many different factions.

Just occurred to me as an obvious marketing model comparison :)
I'm interested to know if others see this too?

Vos

Spiney Norman
06-07-2015, 17:34
I doubt it, prepainted minis only really work for a recognisable franchise like Marvel/Star wars etc, prepainted models for an embryonic IP which no-one has heard of or has any tie to like AoS would likely be a complete disaster.

brotherAkkyshan
06-07-2015, 17:38
I doubt it, prepainted minis only really work for a recognisable franchise like Marvel/Star wars etc, prepainted models for an embryonic IP which no-one has heard of or has any tie to like AoS would likely be a complete disaster.

Didn't Rackham try this with Confrontation? Whatever happened to them..? ;)

Vos
06-07-2015, 17:57
Sorry, I though I had explained - I don't think GW are going to ever release pre-painted minis.
I just see the similarities in all other aspects of the games.

Vos

Philhelm
06-07-2015, 18:16
Even the Wizards of the Coast skirmish games at least had a points system. We quickly realized that Storm Troopers were a better value than the Rebels, but at least there was an attempt at balance.

TheFang
06-07-2015, 18:41
The scrolls are similar to the Heroclix cards but the cards have standardised rules. Powers may be given different names and chrome descriptions but the powers operate in the same way from the key words. Looking at the scrolls so far released similar abilities have different rules look at the rules for standards and the so far 21 different types of shields.

Heroclix is a much tighter set of rules than Age of Sigmar.

Philhelm
06-07-2015, 18:50
Heroclix is a much tighter set of rules than Age of Sigmar.

Which is especially insane due to the drastically higher investment of time and money that Age of Sigmar requires. I'm not going to spend hours upon hours assembling, converting, and painting expensive miniatures without the reward of an in-depth, entertaining game.