PDA

View Full Version : The meaning of core rules

dirach.
06-07-2015, 22:34
I don't know if it is pointed out earlier, but I have not seen it in this enormous huge wall of anger. The internett rules say "core rules".

Warhammer 40k and warhammer 8th edition also had core rules and advanced rules. I would not be surpriced if we soon get the advanced rules as well, but this time we would have to pay for it. I will not join the wailing choir until I have seen more of the game. There have to be some rules for making an army, but you don't need them in the core rules.

I really think it is wise to put out some core rules for free that makes it possible to play the game with a handful of models. People who wants to start don't have to make a hge investment just to get the rules. The core rules and scrolls makes you start. If you want more meat to the game move on to the advanced rules. I could be totally wrong, and 4 pages is all we got, but it is unlikely.

I can't belive so many have made up their mind on someting we most likely don't know the whole story of.

Some of the fears people were screaming about a week ago. "It will be a skirmish game" was proven wrong. You still can use 40 men units. People were in rage as their army would be gone. But they were wrong, all the current models still have rules in the game.

Now people complain about the lack of structure. I guess we'll soon get the advanced rules and you will be proven wrong again. :rolleyes:

qqniox
06-07-2015, 22:59
If the "advanced rules" is something that they are planing to release one would think it would have been a good idea to point out when GW released the current 4-page ruleset. As it is now we dont know if that is the case seeing how they have made no public statement indicating that. One simple line would do so much.
"Here are a simplification of the ruleset. The advanced rules are on their way and you will have them shortly"

Flipmode
06-07-2015, 23:02
Maybe seeing how it goes and writing the advanced rules as people play? Best to not put a timeframe on, or people might just sit on their hands waiting.

Shandor
06-07-2015, 23:12
Got this from a German Forum. Dont know if its true but here you can read it:

GW had a guy camped out at the Forge World open day whos entire job was to answer questions and talk to people about Age of Sigmar. His entire job is to go to shows and talk to people about the new game. For the first time I think ever they're taking Age of Sigmar to Gencon, Comic Con, all the major wargames conventions in Europe etc.
They're throwing a considerable amount of money at putting this in front of new audiences who have never played fantasy before. He was also brutally honest and didn't dodge any questions and answered everything he could. I'll start with the negative stuff first. This is it. There categorically will not be a '9th' edition of fantasy. Age of Sigmar is the only thing fantasy related GW will do for the considerable future.

He acknowledges that the 'funny' rules are rather silly and don't make for a great intro to the system for new people. His response was that the armies in the box set don't have the silly rules. They're there as kind of a celebration and final send off of the old warhammer armies, and he said you might notice the new armies don't have the stupid noises or imaginary friends. This is deliberate, its designed that you'll only generally play the old stuff with your mates since it's a bit embarassing to play in a public place.

The new races will look different to the old ones. Ooruks will not look the same as the orcs we currently have. As such, when they get round to releasing Ooruks, the old models will cease production.
He did say that you can still use your old models as ooruks, but you won't be able to buy normal orc boys again.
There will never be points values. On to the slightly positive stuff then. They are going to fully support all modes of play, and will be releasing rules to balance armies against each other.
There will be narrative campaigns where your forces are picked for you for specific missions, and there will be a system for tournament players to balance lists that isn't based on model count. He did not know the specifics of this, but said it is definitely coming.
The rules will always be free. He said that they are very very aware that fantasy had a massive buy in for someone to get started, as such the game was designed with the ability to play it with one box of models. There will be army books, but every rule in them will be available, for free, online. The books will just have extra background info and scenarios. GW really are trying harder than they ever have before to make this work. If you're at one of the shows go and talk to them. They want to talk to you about this, but especially they want your feedback on it. As he said, this is totally uncharted territory for them and they are totally open to rules revisions as they go.

qqniox
06-07-2015, 23:29
I read that. The only problem is thats coming from a single guy at GW at an convention, speaking face to face with visitors. Why not say the same thing online or in the white dwarf? Itīs not like they have something to loose if they indicate that more/advanced rules are on the way in the future.
The current rules and warscrolls are a mess and it would be nice to know that more is on the way.

dirach.
07-07-2015, 06:10
Games Worshop never tells us about the future, at least not more than one week in advance, so it doesn't say us anything. They does nor say they will produce more miniatures either, but we take that for granted. I think the use of the word core suggest there have to be someting more. If this will be advanced rules or someting else. Well we'll have to wait and see.

Kyriakin
07-07-2015, 06:14
I don't know if it is pointed out earlier, but I have not seen it in this enormous huge wall of anger. The internett rules say "core rules".

Warhammer 40k and warhammer 8th edition also had core rules and advanced rules. I would not be surpriced if we soon get the advanced rules as well, but this time we would have to pay for it. I will not join the wailing choir until I have seen more of the game. There have to be some rules for making an army, but you don't need them in the core rules.

I really think it is wise to put out some core rules for free that makes it possible to play the game with a handful of models. People who wants to start don't have to make a hge investment just to get the rules. The core rules and scrolls makes you start. If you want more meat to the game move on to the advanced rules. I could be totally wrong, and 4 pages is all we got, but it is unlikely.

I can't belive so many have made up their mind on someting we most likely don't know the whole story of.

Some of the fears people were screaming about a week ago. "It will be a skirmish game" was proven wrong. You still can use 40 men units. People were in rage as their army would be gone. But they were wrong, all the current models still have rules in the game.

Now people complain about the lack of structure. I guess we'll soon get the advanced rules and you will be proven wrong again. :rolleyes:
(1) Current armies rules are pretty broken. The "Real" armies wont be, I suspect, but the old armies were added as a rushed fob-off to pacify those with existing collections.

(2) IIRC there are 2 definitions of "skirmish". One is size and the other is "looseness". This is still skirmish by the latter definition.

(3) Wait how long? 1 month?, 3 months? 6 months? 1 year? Forever. Not only is there no timeline, but the "full rules" are, as yet, unproven.

Kyriakin
07-07-2015, 06:16

(1) Current armies rules are pretty broken. The "Real" armies wont be, I suspect, but the old armies were added as a rushed fob-off to pacify those with existing collections.

(2) IIRC there are 2 definitions of "skirmish". One is size and the other is "looseness". This is still skirmish by the latter definition.

(3) Wait how long? 1 month?, 3 months? 6 months? 1 year? Forever? Not only is there no timeline, but the "full rules" are, as yet, unproven. You even started the last sentence with "I guess...".

That said, props for the fimir name.

Ayin
07-07-2015, 06:44
Perhaps those are the Core Rules because...wait for it...rules specific to models appear individually with those models as entirely seperate to the Core Rules "scrolls"?

Nah, too easy.

dirach.
07-07-2015, 06:59

(3) Wait how long? 1 month?, 3 months? 6 months? 1 year? Forever? Not only is there no timeline, but the "full rules" are, as yet, unproven. You even started the last sentence with "I guess...".

That said, props for the fimir name.

1. You don't know it was rushed. I don't know how long the lists will last. We simply don't know. But we know for a fact that we still can use our collections to play the game. Before we get the new models it is the only way to play at the moment.

2. The rage was mostly about people thinking the game would be definition 1.

3. Of course I don't know. Maybe the 4 pages will be all, but I think it is unlikely. (Note my use of "think" have the same function as my "I guess..") . We also know that GW never say what they will do next until one week before the release, and we are in the fourth day after the first preorder. The products are not released yet. If we don't even give it a week the sky will fall quite often.

dirach.
07-07-2015, 07:01
Perhaps those are the Core Rules because...wait for it...rules specific to models appear individually with those models as entirely seperate to the Core Rules "scrolls"?

Nah, too easy.

This could be the case, but we don't know, so why pretend we know?