PDA

View Full Version : GW is sending a rep to Gencon to explain AoS

Pavic
07-07-2015, 02:54
At least, that is what this article from BolS indicates http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/07/age-of-sigmar-gw-turns-a-new-leaf.html

I really hope this is correct, because then I will know where to head to get some comedy at Gencon, even if I do pity the poor guy that was assigned this task.

Buddy Bear
07-07-2015, 03:23
Some of his answers were very insulting. All those silly rules? They're purposefully there to humiliate any players who want to use those units so that they'll stop using them. The Screaming Bell/Kairos Fateweaver thing is also intentional, according to him, but that whoever uses it shouldn't expect to find games in the future. That is their attempt at building a new gaming community? Humiliate and shame old players out of using their old models?

qqniox
07-07-2015, 03:25
When and where is this Gencon?

Pavic
07-07-2015, 03:28
Gencon is at the end of this month, 7/30 - 8/2, in Indianapolis. It is one of the largest game conventions in North America, with attendance in the 50,000 range.

Tichey
07-07-2015, 03:35
They are going to fully support all modes of play, and will be releasing rules to balance armies against each other. There will be narrative campaigns where your forces are picked for you for specific missions, and there will be a system for tournament players to balance lists that isn’t based on model count. He did not know the specifics of this, but said it is definitely coming.

This does fill me with some relief. For now I will be using AoS for fun little games and will probobly have to through in some house rules while we wait for the rest of the rules to come.

sixfthoneybadger
07-07-2015, 04:24
@Buddy Bear
Yea, GW wants you to buy the new models and disguise it with, "it's just a fun rule". It's a slap in the face.

The answering questions is a new thing. Late, but appreciated. For competitive play they better fix the skirmish issue. No way I want my models getting messed up by the whole bases overlapping!!! Stand your model on my base??? That's just not going to happen. I work way to hard on my models for that.

The WD selling out shows how popular fantasy was to all the naysayers saying fantasy wasn't pulling its weight. The market has always been there. GW just didn't support it as well as the players. With that amount of interest GW should be able to keep ALL players happy.

Buddy Bear
07-07-2015, 04:32
The sales for End Times: Nagash were pretty solid, weren't they? Like you said, the market's there. GW just didn't do anything to excite interest. Maybe they should have tried communicating with the fans to fix Warhammer Fantasy before taking a plunge this enormous and replacing Warhammer Fantasy with such a terrible game?

scruffyryan
07-07-2015, 05:03
"We've pursued a policy of being a model company rather than a game company and our sales have slid ever since, best double down"

Mawduce
07-07-2015, 05:37
he says they are balancing the armies against each other. that doesn't mean free list building to our own hearts content. that means formations everyone. get ready for formations like you hoped you'd never see.

Col. Tartleton
07-07-2015, 06:02
But these formations don't balance anything... They still don't have point costs!

All the formations do is create sales targets. You take a group of models you want to sell and you give them a strong bonus for being deployed together. Then people buy those "good units" and then something else gets a formation and it begins again.

full_blooded_ork
07-07-2015, 06:40
@Buddy Bear
Yea, GW wants you to buy the new models and disguise it with, "it's just a fun rule". It's a slap in the face.

The answering questions is a new thing. Late, but appreciated. For competitive play they better fix the skirmish issue. No way I want my models getting messed up by the whole bases overlapping!!! Stand your model on my base??? That's just not going to happen. I work way to hard on my models for that.

The WD selling out shows how popular fantasy was to all the naysayers saying fantasy wasn't pulling its weight. The market has always been there. GW just didn't support it as well as the players. With that amount of interest GW should be able to keep ALL players happy.

Or it's people buying it out of curiosity. At least locally no one plays fantasy to any real degree, and all the local shops aren't making many sales off of it, end times helped alittle, I agree with most of your post, but they had to do something, the game was dying.

full_blooded_ork
07-07-2015, 06:42
But these formations don't balance anything... They still don't have point costs!

All the formations do is create sales targets. You take a group of models you want to sell and you give them a strong bonus for being deployed together. Then people buy those "good units" and then something else gets a formation and it begins again.

True, but they do have to make money.

But it also depends, if all the formations that come out are relativly balanced against each other, then it's not a huge ordeal. If they are like the sample pdf lists, then it will be.

Captain Idaho
07-07-2015, 08:26
Sounds to me like damage control. They did what that ***** at E3 did with the Xbox One reveal did after annoying the customer base (caught with a mic still on):

I thought they'd be happy".

GW are now saying they want community feedback for this new venture and are now telling us they were going to produce a balanced rule set all along?

Someone obviously worried about the backlash. Have you seen eBay too ;)

Kyriakin
07-07-2015, 09:07
he says they are balancing the armies against each other. that doesn't mean free list building to our own hearts content. that means formations everyone. get ready for formations like you hoped you'd never see.
My guess is formation-based balancing for the "new" armies and nothing for the "old" ones.

As that cactus guy said in another thread, there are two armies currently in this game: sigmarines and khorne.

Bubble Ghost
07-07-2015, 10:04
If this is all true, why not just put an article about it on the website? Why let people get the wrong end of the stick and build up so much negative preconception towards the product when there's no need?

mbh1127
07-07-2015, 13:45
If this is all true, why not just put an article about it on the website? Why let people get the wrong end of the stick and build up so much negative preconception towards the product when there's no need?

yup

My head hurts when I try to understand this. A little description of their future plan could have made this release a lot smoother.

TheFang
07-07-2015, 15:22
My head hurts when I try to understand this. A little description of their future plan could have made this release a lot smoother.
An article in WD and an article on the website to say what's happening would have headed off a lot of the negativity. As it stands specualtion of more to come is just amplifying the distaste for the whole process.

Panzeh
07-07-2015, 15:24
A game shouldn't have to be explained by a marketing rep.

GrandmasterWang
07-07-2015, 21:57
An article in WD and an article on the website to say what's happening would have headed off a lot of the negativity. As it stands specualtion of more to come is just amplifying the distaste for the whole process.

Games Workshop is behind the Internet and forums like these.

They DID in fact post an article in WD to head off negativity. That article reassured gamers that they did not need to rebase their armies and that the Fantasy armies weren't invalidated by the new edition.

If you recall those were the big whineseer issues......months ago

I believe they will address what's going on, however with AOS not even officially released yet it won't be for a little bit.

In fact by the time they address that these forums will be filled with anguish over something entirely different ;)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

duffybear1988
07-07-2015, 23:07
Sounds to me like damage control. They did what that ***** at E3 did with the Xbox One reveal did after annoying the customer base (caught with a mic still on):

I thought they'd be happy".

GW are now saying they want community feedback for this new venture and are now telling us they were going to produce a balanced rule set all along?

Someone obviously worried about the backlash. Have you seen eBay too ;)

eBay has been glorious. I've spent over 100 in the last few days (all money I was saving for AoS) on stuff that has dropped in value. I've nabbed kislevites, a fair few old Mordheim figures and some more teutogen guard. I'm not sure what's going on but the Mordheim section has been flooded with old minis. Maybe people have just given up on GW writing a balanced ruleset...

Voss
07-07-2015, 23:45
At least, that is what this article from BolS indicates http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/07/age-of-sigmar-gw-turns-a-new-leaf.html

I really hope this is correct, because then I will know where to head to get some comedy at Gencon, even if I do pity the poor guy that was assigned this task.

What are they going to do at GenCon? Stand on a soapbox and shout at people wandering into the Dealers Room? Harangue them with lectures about games with good rules are somehow missing the point?

Ah, its CrazyLarry again. I wondered where the blather about $125 being a reasonable starter set price came from.