PDA

View Full Version : Just how stupid do the new Sigmarines look to you?

Pages : [1] 2

Ludaman
07-07-2015, 08:29
Liberators? Prosecutors? Retributors? Am I the only one that thinks these guys are just flat out awful? We replaced fantastic kits like the Empire Archers and Demigryph Knights with these fat, golden, hammer statues? Well if you think they look ridiculous as well feel free to tell us all just how you feel, here are my top 3:

1. They look like C3PO's roided-out cousin

2. They look like the academy-award "Oscar statue" after one too many hot dog eating contests.

3. They look like big-gold Homer Simpson statues. If I ever get my hands on one I'm painting him with a white shirt and blue pants.

Now if you honestly like these guys feel free to share as well, after all, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Ayin
07-07-2015, 08:33
They look like GW's take on a modern Fantasy attempt at Space Marines.

They look like exactly what they are.

I suppose if anything they could be criticized for being un-subtle, but since the first rumours started around GW's stated goal was to create a Space Marine type force for their new game, and they did.

Greyshadow
07-07-2015, 08:39
No, no! They are really quite sweet. I saw them in the flesh last weekend and they are really nice! I will admit I had to get over the shock (no pun intended) of the radically different Warhammer before I could appreciate them as models.

I actually dig the gold statue/Balthasar look to them. The angelic look as well taps into the almost forgotten history of Law, the antithesis of chaos or 'good' chaos. After taking a look at them for real on the weekend I have to admit I want them.

(Not in any way saying your opinion is wrong though Ludaman. They may not be everyone's cup of tea but I just really like 'em).

HammerofThunor
07-07-2015, 08:44
They look alright. Not my cup of tea but fine. Also, who says they replace empire models. Currently they're a new army and we'll see what else comes.

Here's my painted up version of the freebe

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-bgtD4s9LGc4/VZrIpREalKI/AAAAAAAAAeU/woGWOlBksjo/s2048-no/IMG_1524.JPG

Mudkip
07-07-2015, 08:49
They look awful. What's up with their double skirt/loincloth at the same time, are they super conscious about somebody seeing their private parts? They have cartoony proportions which is a generic fantasy aesthetic which reminds me of Blizzard. They are so obviously a product of the suits engaging in dubious reductive reasoning: 40k is more successful than Fantasy, 40k has Space Marines, therefore Fantasy should get Space Marines. There's not much variety in the miniatures; it's the same CAD model in different poses.

What's worse is the AoS booklet that comes with the miniatures. All the images are just literal depictions of the miniatures in drawings and photographs. There's no real artistic aesthetic and it's very repetitive, it doesn't fire up the imagination. I wouldn't get Age of Sigmar for my children because I don't think it would stimulate them the way Warhammer did for me.

The writing is even worse than the first two things, if that were even possible. I don't think I've ever seen such tripe in my entire life in a product that people are expected to pay for. The Sigmarine Chapter descriptions are some of the most laughable dreck I've ever seen.

Kyriakin
07-07-2015, 08:52
They look nice enough from a technical point of view (that standard bearer is amazing).

However, their shoe-horned, cynical and transparent "suits above creatives" origin makes me hate what they stand for.

MasterSplinter
07-07-2015, 09:00
I like them quite alot.

Although i must confess that i spilled some coffee over my keyboard when reading they look like C3PO´s roided cousins the first time^^

Actually, before seeing them (i´ve only seen them on pctures so far) i dismissed the idea of Space Marine archetypes in a fantasy setting and when i saw them finally i was a little :wtf:.
But then they started growing on me, and i really thought for what reason that might be. After all they are indeed space marines in a fantasy setting and that couldn´t be quite right. I came to the conclusion that (as weird as it seems) space marines fit better in a fantasy setting than in a scifi setting. Why? Look at Space Marines. What is scifi about them? Only the bolters, that´s it.
ok, maybe some tanks, drop pods etc., but their overall feel is really more fantasy, they are religious devine warriors, have medieval heraldy, have themes from barbaric wartribes applied to them etc.
So, yeah, my point is basically i like the new sigmarines, and i think they fit better in the warhammer universe than Space Marines fit to 40k ("HERETIC!!!" :P)

Tokamak
07-07-2015, 09:01
They don't replace the empire. They're an auxiliary force to the Empire.

I like it. I hate the rules, the lack of armybuilding and the round bases, but these guys fill a niche that Fantasy has been lacking. I'd definitely welcome them in an 8th edition setting.

Mudkip
07-07-2015, 09:06
They don't replace the empire. They're an auxiliary force to the Empire.

There isn't an Empire anymore. Games Workshop can't trademark or copyright an ordinary English word, the visual themes of a historical nation or the Thirty Years war.

xenofexx
07-07-2015, 09:33
No, no! They are really quite sweet. I saw them in the flesh last weekend and they are really nice! I will admit I had to get over the shock (no pun intended) of the radically different Warhammer before I could appreciate them as models.

I actually dig the gold statue/Balthasar look to them. The angelic look as well taps into the almost forgotten history of Law, the antithesis of chaos or 'good' chaos. After taking a look at them for real on the weekend I have to admit I want them.

(Not in any way saying your opinion is wrong though Ludaman. They may not be everyone's cup of tea but I just really like 'em).

All of this. I may not be thrilled with the AoS rules, but there's something about the "golden, hammer-wielding angels of Sigmar" that really appeals to me, both conceptually and esthetically. I only wish the fluff had them striking from the skies to save the overrun Old World from Chaos, instead of these new magical realms that I don't really care about :)

Urgat
07-07-2015, 09:35
Liberators? Prosecutors? Retributors? Am I the only one that thinks these guys are just flat out awful? We replaced fantastic kits like the Empire Archers and Demigryph Knights with these fat, golden, hammer statues? Well if you think they look ridiculous as well feel free to tell us all just how you feel, here are my top 3:

2. They look like the academy-award "Oscar statue" after one too many hot dog eating contests.

3. They look like big-gold Homer Simpson statues. If I ever get my hands on one I'm painting him with a white shirt and blue pants.

Now if you honestly like these guys feel free to share as well, after all, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Would they have no been painted in gold, none of these would have come to your mind. When's the last time you've seen Homer Simpson?

Anyway, I don't find them really original to be honest.

Tokamak
07-07-2015, 09:41
There isn't an Empire anymore. Games Workshop can't trademark or copyright an ordinary English word, the visual themes of a historical nation or the Thirty Years war.

The Empire is very much present on the GW site.

Mudkip
07-07-2015, 09:50

Uh huh. Let's see:

He acknowledges that the 'funny' rules are rather silly and don't make for a great intro to the system for new people. His response was that the armies in the box set don't have the silly rules. They're there as kind of a celebration and final send off of the old warhammer armies, and he said you might notice the new armies don't have the stupid noises or imaginary friends. This is deliberate, its designed that you'll only generally play the old stuff with your mates since it's a bit embarassing to play in a public place.

The new races will look different to the old ones. Ooruks will not look the same as the orcs we currently have. As such, when they get round to releasing Ooruks, the old models will cease production. He did say that you can still use your old models as ooruks, but you won't be able to buy normal orc boys again.

Groza
07-07-2015, 09:55
What's worse is the AoS booklet that comes with the miniatures. All the images are just literal depictions of the miniatures in drawings and photographs. There's no real artistic aesthetic and it's very repetitive, it doesn't fire up the imagination. I wouldn't get Age of Sigmar for my children because I don't think it would stimulate them the way Warhammer did for me.

The writing is even worse than the first two things, if that were even possible. I don't think I've ever seen such tripe in my entire life in a product that people are expected to pay for. The Sigmarine Chapter descriptions are some of the most laughable dreck I've ever seen.
Glad someone is finally saying this stuff.
I think people's standards have rotted away from not opening slaves to darkness in the last 5 years.

So was the 8th ed. FAQ until a couple days ago.

these guys fill a niche that Fantasy has been lacking
"Lacking" is too strong a word for something so unnecessary.

Harwammer
07-07-2015, 10:02
They look like mighty heroes of Asgard to me.

Whirlwind
07-07-2015, 10:03
Technically they are well done models. But for me they lack something, some punch that makes me go wow (although the model on the Thundercat is quite nice although still doesn't come close to some of the older Warhammer models like Azhag). Maybe it's that they are so obviously space marines and that I'm just oversaturated by marines these days (accept perhaps Dark Angels because they are modelled slightly different). Maybe it's the paint scheme which is garish and OTT. Alternatively maybe it is the large flat areas with no real detail (just smooth armour plates). I just can't put my finger on it, but they do not want me to get my wallet out. Bizarrely I prefer the Chaos side (but more from thoughts of expanding a Chaos Space Marine army than for Warhammer). And the Sigmarines heads are just awful.

NatBrannigan
07-07-2015, 10:07
The models are actually quite nice, if you use them in a blood angles 40k army. The logic seems to be 40k sells well, fantasy dosen't sell well, so let's make fantasy look and play like a poor version of 40k.

No body is going to win here, not sure what GW are doing. And I LIKE GW! The quality of their products (physical models for the most part aside) does seem to be slipping though. All but one of the Khorne units has the word "blood" in the name... It's just lazy and unispired.

nagash66
07-07-2015, 10:07
Wahammer fantasy battles is dead, it is the age of sigmar now.

Trying to compare the old line to the new is pointless, as it is not meant to be the same game or setting. The minis are good sculpts from what they are, now if you dont like what they are or the new way of things that is fine.

I for one got the sigmar half of the AoS box to make into Statues for terrain and 40k terminator conversations. So yes i like the models, the setting i think its too early to tell.

Kaptajn_Congoboy
07-07-2015, 10:08
They look like fantasy Space Marines, which they are meant to look like. Since they look like Space Marines, they do what most Space Marines do: look uninspired and GW-generic. The same applies to their fluff. They are of course technically well done, GW has that down.

The_Real_Chris
07-07-2015, 10:08
The models are fine. But they are too big. Scale creep gone to 11... I don't want to play with 40mm models.

duffybear1988
07-07-2015, 10:14
Archers in heavy restrictive full plate armour with full face helms restricting their sight... it's the worst possible combination ever.

Laughably bad. At least some of the chaos figures are ok.

xenofexx
07-07-2015, 10:48
Archers in heavy restrictive full plate armour with full face helms restricting their sight... it's the worst possible combination ever.

Fair enough, but this kind of stuff is hardly new when it comes to WFB/40k. Suspension of disbelief has always played an important part, with cool/epic trumping practical/realistic in most cases.

To some of us its "the worst possible combination", but to others its just "Stormcast Eternals with ranged weapons, cool!"

Kyriakin
07-07-2015, 10:51
Aren't they spirits, or something, thus I guess they don't need to "see" in the traditional sense?

wulox
07-07-2015, 11:04
I personally like the aesthetic of the stormcast eternals.
I always wanted to get into fantasy but none of the armies really appealed to me appearance-wise, however I think I shall be collecting a Stormcast eternals army now alongside my other stuff (40k, LoTR, Infinity).

smokemeakipper
07-07-2015, 11:08
I think they look a bit tzeentch-like. maybe tzeentch morphed into this sigmar dude and has everyone fooled.

the sigmarines are stupidly big, even the chaos ones look a bigger scale than previous models, most of my stuff is 25mm older models, I struggled with the increasing size of greenskins to make them look ok together, what scale are these? 30mm /32mm

£75 seems very expensive for the boxed set too, usually they were a bargain at £40-50 for a tonne of models to get
I think we all need a rant on aos just to get it out of our system so we don't take it out on our wives -some sort of anger management

Dark_Mage99
07-07-2015, 11:09
I think they look awesome, to be honest.

I hate the look of the Empire (WAY too modern) and always wished humanity had a better representation.

Bubble Ghost
07-07-2015, 11:27
They don't look at all stupid, provided you like the cartoonish, Blizzardy route they've gone down with the entire aesthetic for this new world. Which I don't. Not because it's bad per se, but because there are a billion other modern pop-fantasy settings out there, all cribbing off movies and each other rather than history and myth which is what gave Warhammer its substance. I just can't see any reason to care about yet another world in the same vein, and lore comes first for me, then rules, then minis. If the lore is uninteresting (or outright stinks up the joint by being almost parodically derivative and childish, as Age of Sigmar's is), and the rules don't interest me either, I don't care how good the minis are.

But taken on their own terms, they actually look pretty cool. The mask things are the best bit. If I were to collect an army of Basileans to play Kings of War with, you better believe I'd be buying these things off GW to use as Elohi rather than Mantic's nice-try-but-no-thanks efforts. And I'm sure GW would be cool with that.

GrandmasterWang
07-07-2015, 11:27
I like the look of them. I think they are a cool new army.

I look forward to bringing them into Chillhammer :)

I had a little try of AOS last night. It was ok. To say the rules are loose is an understatement.

Ill probably get the boxed set. I like the Sigmarines and Chaos so the box looks pretty awesome to me.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

wulox
07-07-2015, 11:48
The one thing I dont really like with them is the heads/death masks.

I'm thinking of replacing them with these heads from puppetswar, http://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=89 but with the sci-fi cables removed of course!

Kakapo42
07-07-2015, 12:03
If you ask me, whoever designed them should be wired into a Penitent Engine (I know this is isn't the 40k forum, but I can't really think of any fate from Warhammer Fantasy that's quite fitting enough).

To me they epitomise everything that is wrong with GW today. Between their oversaturated paint schemes, the way they take everything I don't like about the Space Marine aesthetic and magnify it (to the point where for the first time in the history of ever I'm actually starting to LIKE the Space Marine models simply because I think they look better by comparison), to their MMO-influences.

They don't resonate with me on any level, not like the older Fantasy models do. I look at them and I see no soul, no life, no charm, no magic. Just cold digital precision. Older Fantasy models tell a story to me, these ones don't do that at all. All I see from them is a blank slate of plastic void. When I look at older Fantasy models I think of amazing brilliant fantasy artwork, not just from Warhammer but from all over the place. When I look at these new Sigmarines all I see are bland MMORPG-like computer graphics. And there's a reason why those settings never appeal to me.

I must congratulate modern GW though, for they have finally succeeded in creating a set of models completely in their own image - cold, sterile, souless masks of inhuman perfection, empty shells utterly devoid of charm.

Their background also does not sit right with me at all, it feels as though they tried too hard to get across the 'noble heroic champions that bash skulls and are paragons of virtue' idea and just end up beating everyone over the head with that angle (and without any of the nuance or deconstruction that Bretonnia had).

No sir, I want no part of them. My apologies for the somewhat disjointed rant, I'm quite tired as I write this. Ideally it still makes some sense.

Bubble Ghost
07-07-2015, 12:10
I must congratulate modern GW though, for they have finally succeeded in creating a set of models completely in their own image - cold, sterile, souless masks of inhuman perfection, empty shells utterly devoid of charm.

Not sure whether to laugh or applaud. Good work.

The bearded one
07-07-2015, 12:16
I'm 50/50.

I don't like the shield-bearing Sigmarines. Those models just look flat, and dull.

But some of the others ones are very cool, and I intend to paint a tiny NMM force of them: The angels and the lord on demi-dragon specifically. Those mini's have the required detail to make for a fun paintjob, and I think they'll be okay to dick around with during gaming.

defunct
07-07-2015, 12:21
They look awful, utterly generic and uninspiring. Warhammer became exactly what I despise the most in the context of fantasy IPs, a setting with a Blizzard-esque cartoony aesthetic. Appalling dreck.

Deadhorse
07-07-2015, 12:49
First problem is the heads. They look like robot heads from 1940's cartoons.

Second, these things are not human. Space marines, like superheroes, combine the super element with the human element. That makes empathy possible.

Because of the heads and the fluff, these things are like Necrons. I mean, GW's new "champions" are pretty much robotic-undead slaves of Sigmar. Aren't they?

I do like the chaos models in the box, though.

Bloodknight
07-07-2015, 12:52

Interesting. I'm not getting any Viking vibe from them. To me they look like a WoW-ification of Renaissance Christian imagery. Which means I'm not a fan.

They look like robot heads from 1940's cartoons.

Even older than that, Fritz Lang's Maschinenmensch from Metropolis would like to have a word.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_%281927_film%29

Tokamak
07-07-2015, 12:55

Laughably bad. At least some of the chaos figures are ok.

Nothing they use is pragmatic. They're mythical so form over function. Godlike beings frankly get away with anything.

Twido
07-07-2015, 13:02
Its not the quality of the models that's the problem, its the concept that I find truly awful. I can only think they are targeting a younger generation with stronger anime influences and a short attention span.

CrystalSphere
07-07-2015, 13:14
Stormcast reminds me of Finecast.... which isn´t very encouraging. I also fail to see why would anyone buy these space marine wannabes rather than the real ones? 40k is already a skirmish game, and bolters look less dumb that those puny bows. Even marines have more depth into their concept, these guys look exactly like WoW paladins - good guys with hammers and dumb armor.

mweaver
07-07-2015, 14:21
They are not figures I particularly like, but they match the concept behind them reasonably well. Personally, I prefer my fantasy figures with a more realistic/historical feel, if that makes sense (no surf board weapons, chainmail bikinis, etc.).

-Michael

Cheeslord
07-07-2015, 15:41
With Space Marines, and even Chaos elites, at least the sergeants/leaders/some of the soldiers had their helmets removed, allowing us to glimpse human facial expressions behind the masks. So far I have not seen a Sigmarine with his helmet off. This makes them look sinister and inhuman;- more befitting an evil army of uncompromising and merciless order (I think people have already made the Necron comparison) than supposedly the new heroes.

Mark.

Xerkics
07-07-2015, 15:48
They are a contradiction the models themselves are really well designed but the heads are extremely bad and lazy they are like lazy copies of blood angles death masks and not even good ones. They missed out an opportunity for original heads if they wanted to make them heroic spirits not robots.

Voss
07-07-2015, 16:57
A bit bland in concept, but an acceptable example of the quintessential GW model - over the top and a bit silly. Not for me, but basically what you get when you distill the entire GW catalog to its most basic concepts.

I think this is the inevitable result of what happens when GW tries to do something new and GWish, rather than build and existing tropes and hooks. There isn't really anything to pull people in because they were inspired by some bit of fiction, history or myth. It just hangs out, disassociated with anything engaging.

Panzeh
07-07-2015, 16:58
The models look like very bland generic fantasy fighting men. A parody of a parody. GW is super self-referential.

Tau_player001
07-07-2015, 17:12
On a scale 0 stupid to Kirby level of stupidity, i say 2 Kirbies and half.

AkalaSpeaksFact
07-07-2015, 17:18
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/07/6641c630bfd7b51583a9eacf9c9b4f51.jpg

"I am the power of death incarnate. I am the swords edge; I hungrily cut the flesh and drink deep of the bloody well beneath. Give me your body, and I promise you glory, I promise you vengeance and I promise you immortality - if you will only let me..."

-Antwyr, the sword god

AkalaSpeaksFact
07-07-2015, 17:18
Badass more like

"I am the power of death incarnate. I am the swords edge; I hungrily cut the flesh and drink deep of the bloody well beneath. Give me your body, and I promise you glory, I promise you vengeance and I promise you immortality - if you will only let me..."

-Antwyr, the sword god

AkatsukiLeader13
07-07-2015, 17:32
Honestly, I don't mind the Stormcast for the most part. The Liberators, the standard foot-soldiers, are rather dull and generic though it does have bits I like. I love their hammers and shields, always been a fan of the larger shields. The armor's okay but dull. But I'm not a fan of the heads, particularly the Iron Halo they all have.

The Lord-Relictor is my least favorite model, too much like a SM Chaplain. Though the parchment cape is pretty cool and I am rather fond of his standard.

The Lord-Celestant, Retributors and Prosecutors I like and don't have complaints about.

Shakkara
07-07-2015, 17:35
Diablo mixed with a bit of cybermen.

Don't like this cartoony over the top look at all.

EcceNoHomo
07-07-2015, 17:39
A not-so curious combination of insipid and cheesy. Obviously marketed towards teenagers. That said, they aren't as bad as Tau were in 40K. Give me Greatswords or Outriders any day.

Philhelm
07-07-2015, 17:45
The Stormcast look like the malformed entrails of a puppy whimpering its last breath after being crushed beneath the Sigmarite-shod wheels of a Sigmaron chariot. The Stormcast battle-cry is the wretched, gurgling screams from a litter of baby seals while their skulls are turned to dust by Sigmarite hammers.

GrandmasterWang
07-07-2015, 18:12
The Stormcast look like the malformed entrails of a puppy whimpering its last breath after being crushed beneath the Sigmarite-shod wheels of a Sigmaron chariot. The Stormcast battle-cry is the wretched, gurgling screams from a litter of baby seals while their skulls are turned to dust by Sigmarite hammers.

GW should get you to write the Sigmarine unit descriptions lol. I like the Sigmarines (for the most part) but honestly I preferred your description over the one I read in White Dwarf

The heads are all Balthasar Gelt heads. I liked the gold mask on him and for the Sigmarines I much prefer them having face masks as opposed to massive bulbous space marine heads.

I am certainly looking forwards to painting my first Dracon.

Okuto
07-07-2015, 18:47
I hate the look of the sigmarines but man I'm loving them for my chaos marine army

CrystalSphere
07-07-2015, 18:50
I hate the look of the sigmarines but man I'm loving them for my chaos marine army

They would be awesome as slaaneshi chaos warriors/marines, they look like Sigvald´s drinking buddies!

Getifa Ubazza
07-07-2015, 19:58
I really like the Chaos models in AoS. The Sigmarines are OK, although I do prefer them in other paint schemes I've seen here and in other places. I still haven't seen them in person, so I will wait and see what I really think of them then.

They are obviously fantasy Space Marines though, but I don't have an issue with that. If anything, I wonder what took so long to make them, considering how well they sell in 40k.

wulox
07-07-2015, 20:06
The different paint schemes do make them look very nice when compared to the GW's gold ones.
I plan on painting mine white, with purple as the secondary color!

SuperHappyTime
07-07-2015, 20:52
I like them for the good sculpts they are. They just don't look like humans. I'd like to see some face/flesh or even eyeholes.

Philhelm
07-07-2015, 20:57
The different paint schemes do make them look very nice when compared to the GW's gold ones.
I plan on painting mine white, with purple as the secondary color!

Baroque Stormtroopers?

GramercyRiff
07-07-2015, 20:58
They are a contradiction the models themselves are really well designed but the heads are extremely bad and lazy they are like lazy copies of blood angles death masks and not even good ones. They missed out an opportunity for original heads if they wanted to make them heroic spirits not robots.

Robot thing seems intentional to me, like that's the entire point, they're fantasy robots.

I kind of like them. I like the idea of an army of golems. THE GOLDEN ARMY. Too bad about the game though right?

Ayin
07-07-2015, 21:26
I like them for the good sculpts they are. They just don't look like humans. I'd like to see some face/flesh or even eyeholes.

You seem to be confused on what these models are supposed to represent in game.

Inquisitor Kallus
07-07-2015, 21:35

I HATE THEM,.....no, wait....I LOVE THEM!

lol :p

Shandor
08-07-2015, 00:26

-Antwyr, the sword god

Thanks for the Picture.. was laughing my ass off. This really made my day. :)

mbh1127
08-07-2015, 00:35
I'm pretty indifferent. I don't hate them but I spent way more time looking at the chaos stuff.

These sculpts looked exactly how I imagined. I was hoping GW designers were more creative than me.

Okuto
08-07-2015, 02:09
They would be awesome as slaaneshi chaos warriors/marines, they look like Sigvald´s drinking buddies!

I'm planning to turn them into emperors children raptors actually:p

I HATE THEM,.....no, wait....I LOVE THEM!

lol :p

pretty much, hate them for "fantasy" but great for 40k

SuperHappyTime
08-07-2015, 02:26
You seem to be confused on what these models are supposed to represent in game.

Yes, men. Where's the man?

Mawduce
08-07-2015, 02:34

You haven't seen mighty heroes of Asgard then. They look exactly like Vikings did, no difference. These look like Golden Space Marines. I wouldn't be surprised if the rules were similar to Grey Knights but with a fantasy twist. Welcome the nightmare of Grey Knights fantasy, welcome.

Gobskrag 'Eadbasha
08-07-2015, 02:39
The one thing I dont really like with them is the heads/death masks.

I'm thinking of replacing them with these heads from puppetswar, http://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=89 but with the sci-fi cables removed of course!

That would look pretty bitchin' actually. Do eeet!

mhsellwood
08-07-2015, 02:56
Yes, men. Where's the man?

They represent the souls of heroes of the Mortal Realms lifted by Sigmar into the realm of Azyr, there to be reforged into the mightiest warriors with lightning for blood and clad in god forged armour, who on their death are returned to life. At what point does this suggest they are still men?

Personally I am very pleased with them - proper hard men on the side of good who actually look like they could face off against the hordes of chaos and not end up a stain on the ground. In 3rd edition the setting made sense - shoeless spearmen versus goblins, Skaven, brainless chaos beasts, and the rare as hens teeth Chaos Warriors had become by 8th shoeless spearmen versus arachnarok spider, hellpit abomination, flying fire breathing chimeras, and juggernaut mounted Chaos Warriors. The setting has been compromised for a long time, and Age of Sigmar aims to create an appropriate canvas for the kind of miniatures that GW want to create, and battles that we might want to recreate.

Also, what is with the negative and unhelpful thread title?

RollofTheDice
08-07-2015, 03:16
They look alright. Not my cup of tea but fine. Also, who says they replace empire models. Currently they're a new army and we'll see what else comes.

Here's my painted up version of the freebe

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-bgtD4s9LGc4/VZrIpREalKI/AAAAAAAAAeU/woGWOlBksjo/s2048-no/IMG_1524.JPG

-Antwyr, the sword god

Thank you both for sharing these, beautiful paintwork. :)
I think the warriors look fantastic, the helmets remind me of that Gladiator from the film of the same name who fought Maxiums with the Tigers. My only complaint is that they do not use swords in combat, I'm not a huge fan of the hammers. :(

Scribe of Khorne
08-07-2015, 03:23
They are so bad, they put me off from even splitting the box set, because if GW can release chunky things like this, what else will they stuff up?

AverageBoss
08-07-2015, 03:34
I actually really like the models (sans the not chaplain). Sure they have a Space Marine look to them, but space marines themselves are just space knights. Plus they have some Volten aesthetics. I was ready to buy 2 AoS boxes and start up an army. Just wish I liked the game they were made for. Order cancelled.

ShruikhanTK
08-07-2015, 03:51
They could've passed as elite troops. Nice looking models honestly its just....why the hell is that general riding a giant lizard? I must've missed that entry somewhere in my Lizardmen book... The models are nice however I am just sick of GWs BS at this point theres not dancing around it for me anymore. I'm not rebasing my kit nor am I going to dance and growl to play a freaking strategy game. The game looks like a big pile in of models which just doesn't appeal to me. Moving around skinks was already annoying as it was, they should've added new worlds/models/fixed magic and we would've been golden...oh and updated their freaking faq more than once every 4 years. Stop gouging my wallet, we know you make awesome models GW but please no need to bend me over the gaming table here.

To sum it up.

It looks nice...but everything they have done aside from that is infuriating to me. Lol....its really THAT bad for me. I might round out my collection and scoop up a bone giant if they ever release it but I'm pretty done with GW and not interest in AoS.

Ludaman
08-07-2015, 05:32
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-MzNpMD1K8

I'll just leave this here

Lol! That was hilarious

Scribe of Khorne
08-07-2015, 05:49
What gets me about that 'video' is that you look at the Ultramarines, and you think '**** thats a good looking piece of art right there' and then you flip it with the Sigmarine...and it just looks TERRIBLE.

And they put up a statue of this thing? WTF are you on GW?

Mateobard
08-07-2015, 05:52
As unimpressed as I am with the game, the models are excellent. Having seen them in person, I think they're awesome. The new pictures floating around are also very cool, though I really wish GW would put some readily recognizable female warriors out there, too. Also, maybe different looking armor for archers? At some point it's the same guy a million times. Which, I suppose, is a Space Marine thing. Maybe that's why I liked the Space Wolves when I did 40k.

Mateobard
08-07-2015, 05:53
I like them quite a bit, to be honest, and i'm not a big fan of the game.

RollofTheDice
08-07-2015, 06:01
What gets me about that 'video' is that you look at the Ultramarines, and you think '**** thats a good looking piece of art right there' and then you flip it with the Sigmarine...and it just looks TERRIBLE.

And they put up a statue of this thing? WTF are you on GW?

So fussy... :D
The Critic of Khorne.

innerwolf
08-07-2015, 06:29
Not stupid at all. They have just the right amounts of Asgardian demi-gods, Diablo Archangels and Roman legionary.

With a more subdued paintjob they would be awesome.

Gorthaur
08-07-2015, 06:31
The Retributors look pretty awesome, overall I like them. The only ones that i'm iffy about are the flying dudes, i'm just not too keen on flying models period though unless they are riding something.

Urgat
08-07-2015, 06:51
They could've passed as elite troops. Nice looking models honestly its just....why the hell is that general riding a giant lizard? I must've missed that entry somewhere in my Lizardmen book...

No, look closely, it's between the wyvern and hydra entries.

What gets me about that 'video' is that you look at the Ultramarines, and you think '**** thats a good looking piece of art right there

40K players, another breed entirely :p

Ludaman
08-07-2015, 06:55
To be honest I'm really baffled by all the positivity. Space marines are built on a very iffy foundation: proportions that don't make sense/don't match the fluff, armor that just sort of has "tube-slinkys" behind every joint and random lines etched into surfaces here and their, but all of that's okay because it's "Sci-Fi".

These Sigmarines are even more out of proportion than space marines, their armor still has the sci-fi "tube-slinkys", and their helmets look like tiny light bulbs with sculpted-on rays of light.

Some of the bigger guys are a bit better, but there's just no humanity to them. I can't think of a single race in warhammer or 40k which has less emotional gravitas than this new range of golden boys.

But I am willing to admit that I could just be too old for these kinds of Toys. I grew out of video games a few years back, and it looks like I've finally grown out of GW. :(

Wesser
08-07-2015, 07:43
Angels are actually pretty damn boring... as is indeed anything that's both superhumanly powerful and pure of.. something

Grey Knights are easily the most boring marines, because it's the flaws that builds character

Chaos Warriors gets away with being more powerful than the average human because they gave up souls and unmutated bodies for it. Space Marines are riddled with flaws, hubris and idiosyncrasies.

Sigmarines lacks both character, individuality as well as any attachment to actual fluff.

I don't hate them. They are just perhaps the most boring miniatures GW ever made. If someone turned up with a selection of lighters, porcelain figurines etc. and wanted to proxy them for Sigmarines I'm not sure I'd care...

Really sad that in addition to removing ranked units they also ditch the medieval theme and go for steampunk instead...

Spiney Norman
08-07-2015, 07:50

Personally I'm not a fan of the sigmarites, though I have a few friends who are, I'm splitting a starter box set with a friend and I'm having the chaos dudes because IMHO they are really sweet models.

They remind me a little too much of blood angel Sanguiniary guard

Wesser
08-07-2015, 07:55
They represent the souls of heroes of the Mortal Realms lifted by Sigmar into the realm of Azyr, there to be reforged into the mightiest warriors with lightning for blood and clad in god forged armour, who on their death are returned to life. At what point does this suggest they are still men?

That's got to be the single lamest and dummest piece of background I ever read. I really hope you're joking because it makes me embarrassed at having thrown so much cash after a company who apparently despises people...

SteveW
08-07-2015, 07:58
always wished humanity had a better representation.

Bretonnia?

You know of them? Yes?

Vertumne
08-07-2015, 08:49
Really like the Sigmarines, the models are a breath of fresh air in Warhammer. Like other people said previously, FB was lacking good guys who are more than pyjama-wearing regular humans. The Empire was at the core of WFB and the Old World lore but it remained quite unpopular among players because it was a horde army. It is no surprise that the best selling FB faction was Warriors of Chaos who are heavily armored, superhuman "knights".

Mawduce
08-07-2015, 09:36
They just don't fit in fantasy. They look like they belong like space marines.

Losing Command
08-07-2015, 09:47
I don't think Sigmarites look stupid, they're probably the most impressive space marines I've seen in a while. Though I wonder why they left off the backpacks ... Oooooh ;)

Harwammer
08-07-2015, 09:59
You haven't seen mighty heroes of Asgard then. They look exactly like Vikings did, no difference. These look like Golden Space Marines. I wouldn't be surprised if the rules were similar to Grey Knights but with a fantasy twist. Welcome the nightmare of Grey Knights fantasy, welcome.

My mistake for lack of clarity, as you say they do not look like the Vikings of old. I rather meant the 'fictional' Asgardians from Marvel's Hulk vs comic (and to an extent the movies) that rock a more high fantasy look, which I admit is not the obvious interpretation of my post. Apologies again!

wulox
08-07-2015, 10:02
The one thing I don't understand is what is under their masks.
Are they just large humans under the armour, or are they actually the armour itself with a soul.
The first picture in the trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AQseMwiSYY) had me wondering was all because it shows a bearded bloke in sigmarine armour, sans helmet.
This guy: http://i.gyazo.com/dc62b70313eeabf8084327a05b3a6b66.png

Spiney Norman
08-07-2015, 10:11
The one thing I don't understand is what is under their masks.
Are they just large humans under the armour, or are they actually the armour itself with a soul.
The first picture in the trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AQseMwiSYY) had me wondering was all because it shows a bearded bloke in sigmarine armour, sans helmet.
This guy: http://i.gyazo.com/dc62b70313eeabf8084327a05b3a6b66.png

I could be wrong but I think that is intended to be Sigmar himself

wulox
08-07-2015, 10:26
I could be wrong but I think that is intended to be Sigmar himself

If so, I like the viking thing hes got going on.
Always been a fan of that sort of facial hair, pity my facial hair doesnt grow like that because I'd definitely rock something similar if I could :D

ewar
08-07-2015, 10:28
The models are just so bad on a number of levels:
- lack any sense of dynamism
- they are so faaaaaaaaaaaat. Seriously, what I'd Sigmar feeding these guys? They must be hitting up the kebab shop on their way home from a day of being awesome
- no character, they lack detail, the armour is bland.

I. Am a huge fan of GWs recent models and have nothing against CAD design in and of itself (see fantastic nagash, morghasts, witch elves etc) but these are just so horribly sterile.

The flying angels look terrible to me, their legs etc give no impression of flying at all and that is probably because their gold cankles prevent them from moving without their mobility scooters.

Not good GW, not good at all.

Andy p
08-07-2015, 10:30
3. They look like big-gold homer simpson statues. If i ever get my hands on one i'm painting him with a white shirt and blue pants.

ha ha look closer ludaman!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMjYY3tbX1k

Odin
08-07-2015, 10:41
The Sigmarine models have grown on me a bit, with better paintschemes and seeing them in person. If they had a proper ruleset I could be tempted with a small force, but they haven't so I'm not.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Haravikk
08-07-2015, 13:43
They're okay, but I never really felt we needed another army; I much preferred the human forces always being the underdog to Chaos as it was more satisfying to then have them claw back a victory in the face of those odds.
I mean, the Sigmarines aren't awful, but they make more sense as rare elites of some kind, or the sort of thing you'd include on the side of Order in the same way that you would have a Truthsayer in the Albion campaign way back when. I don't really see the need for a whole army of them.

There was also a thread I agreed with regarding the fact that this new army is just a sausage fest (the whole starter kit is). I don't see why there can't be female models either mixed into all of the units, or some specific female units (perhaps more lightly armoured an manoeuvrable for variety, the flying unit could have been a good candidate for this). I mean, what's the implication here, that there isn't a single heroic woman on the human side, or that Sigmar is just really, really sexist?

I have the same issue against the Chaos forces though; Valkia the Bloody is a great character, so where are the blood-crazed warrior women devoted to Chaos, why does it have to be all homo-erotic rippling man-muscles? Are we sure Khorne is even a blood god, and not just a god of steroidal topless men?

ewar
08-07-2015, 13:58
They're okay, but I never really felt we needed another army; I much preferred the human forces always being the underdog to Chaos as it was more satisfying to then have them claw back a victory in the face of those odds.
I mean, the Sigmarines aren't awful, but they make more sense as rare elites of some kind, or the sort of thing you'd include on the side of Order in the same way that you would have a Truthsayer in the Albion campaign way back when. I don't really see the need for a whole army of them.

There was also a thread I agreed with regarding the fact that this new army is just a sausage fest (the whole starter kit is). I don't see why there can't be female models either mixed into all of the units, or some specific female units (perhaps more lightly armoured an manoeuvrable for variety, the flying unit could have been a good candidate for this). I mean, what's the implication here, that there isn't a single heroic woman on the human side, or that Sigmar is just really, really sexist?

I have the same issue against the Chaos forces though; Valkia the Bloody is a great character, so where are the blood-crazed warrior women devoted to Chaos, why does it have to be all homo-erotic rippling man-muscles? Are we sure Khorne is even a blood god, and not just a god of steroidal topless men?

You make a really good point, you only have to look at the incredible female models put out by Corvus Belli to see the demand for having more women in the armies. If they can manage to avoid the terrible 'war bikini' syndrome so they are at least vaguely plausible that might have been a selling point.

But no, GW sticks to it's white, male, muscle fetish pretty tightly.

Groza
08-07-2015, 14:17
what's the implication here, that there isn't a single heroic woman on the human side, or that Sigmar is just really, really sexist?

There's a difference between lack of a single heroic woman and entire female units which would have no benefits whatsoever in a human army. (http://s017.radikal.ru/i431/1112/1d/8a509c594c56.jpg)
Your groundless requests for gender equality in a low-fantasy setting like that of warhammer have been debunked rather consistently in multitudes of threads.

That said, I'd be fine with female sigmarines, AoS is already ridiculous enough that it wouldn't make it worse in any way to have some boobs on that golden armor for half the unit.

wulox
08-07-2015, 14:27
The angels would have been the best option as females, with the wings they would have been a lot like Valkyries.
We may yet see female sigmarites, this is only the beginning after all!

Bloodknight
08-07-2015, 14:35
Aren't these guys basically Golems anyway?

sephiroth87
08-07-2015, 15:02
I am painting mine blue to look like Ultramarines. For science. And to see heads explode when I put them on the table in a fantasy game. OPPONENT! BEHOLD MY ULTRAMARITES! *Heads explode*

Ludaman
08-07-2015, 15:07
Mantic games posted this to Facebook and I had a big laugh.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/08/521b485df41b0148b4eba70ede1181ff.jpg

In Dark Trees
08-07-2015, 15:09
I suppose from a technical perspective, they are tolerably acceptable. But they are capitalist cynicism embodied; profit motive rendered in plastic. Everything about them suggests they are Space Marines copied and pasted into a High Fantasy setting.

And to everyone saying there weren't "heroic" humans in the grimy, low-tech Warhammer of old, I can only submit the following:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_EOBmYRMMG3E/TCifCM3gomI/AAAAAAAABDM/jK5SG-FWZaQ/s1600/Image1.jpg
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/8959/reiksguardfoot.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-UboP3kKBoLg/UBGe9xdGjLI/AAAAAAAAAEs/-C6QsRepZhI/s640/Champion1.JPG
http://kaissa-ioannina.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/TheGreenKnightCFC2.jpg
http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pics8/img4287f028ad58a.jpg
http://www.witchhunter.net/images/empire/empire_hero_halberd_1.jpg

The last one, with the halberd, has more character and personality than the entire "Sigmarite" range put together.

Haravikk
08-07-2015, 15:51
Your groundless requests for gender equality in a low-fantasy setting like that of warhammer have been debunked rather consistently in multitudes of threads.
It's a fantasy setting, so there's no reason to believe that there can't be female warriors that are the equal of any male warriors. In fact, the two starter set armies are the perfect example, as one is actually an army of essentially animated statues forged by Grungni, meanwhile the other is a blood-crazed horde that has received the blessings of a dark god to make them even better at slaughter. Given those conditions there is no logical justification (if logic even enters to it) as to why only one gender should be represented.

As it stands the only army that really represents any equality are the Wood Elves who have more mixed models; High Elves are still a bit segregated, and Dark Elves have the whole "female characters have to be nearly naked" thing going on, as much as I like the Witch Elves as an element of Dark Elf society.

Setesh
08-07-2015, 16:11
Gritty fantasy and grimdark sci fi settings are by definition not tumblr-esque hugboxes. I'd suggest keeping your politics in the thread you already started elsewhere.

Northern_Watch
08-07-2015, 16:28
The last one, with the halberd, has more character and personality than the entire "Sigmarite" range put together.

Loved that old miniature...I think that it's the lack of a helm that lends it to having character and personality. I have that figure as the champion in an old 4e regiment of Empire Halberdiers; looking at them dilutes some of the arguments about sculpting standards going downhill. I mean my God, the shoulder pads!

vlad78
08-07-2015, 17:23
Loved that old miniature...I think that it's the lack of a helm that lends it to having character and personality. I have that figure as the champion in an old 4e regiment of Empire Halberdiers; looking at them dilutes some of the arguments about sculpting standards going downhill. I mean my God, the shoulder pads!

For god's sake, 4th edition was 25 years ago!!! You'd better compare those new bland sigmarine with what was sculpted at the end of the metal era to see GW CAD minis made the quality and inspiration drop.

Those sigmarine are just ... the most boring miniatures released.

Groza
08-07-2015, 17:37
Targeting those mono-pose plastics that were released with the sole intention of providing people with a cheap alternative to building units is rather pointless.
Models much better than the sigmarines were consistently released both before and after those halberdiers.

BorderKing
08-07-2015, 17:55
They are what I imagine what would be created from the relationship of the robot from Metropolis and a spartan from 300.

Wintermute
08-07-2015, 19:03
Gritty fantasy and grimdark sci fi settings are by definition not tumblr-esque hugboxes. I'd suggest keeping your politics in the thread you already started elsewhere.

Agreed. So keep on topic or I'll start removing off-topic posts and issuing warnings.

Wintermute

Ludaman
08-07-2015, 19:18
A fun thought I just had: while I absolutely detest the storm cast guys, with a little bit of work and some green stuff you could probably kit bash the Drake and the chaos pieces together to make the most badass Arball the undefeated on giant flesh hound.

Northern_Watch
08-07-2015, 19:28
For god's sake, 4th edition was 25 years ago!!! You'd better compare those new bland sigmarine with what was sculpted at the end of the metal era to see GW CAD minis made the quality and inspiration drop.

Those sigmarine are just ... the most boring miniatures released.

Calm down, mate. Besides, I'm not sure what's so boring about this:

Northern_Watch
08-07-2015, 19:31
Targeting those mono-pose plastics that were released with the sole intention of providing people with a cheap alternative to building units is rather pointless.
Models much better than the sigmarines were consistently released both before and after those halberdiers.

But aren't these new Sigmarite warriors performing exactly the same role? i.e. providing people with a means (perhaps not so cheaply!) to building units that will be enlivened with future releases? People here are writing as though a brand new game should have the same amount of detail and variety in their product lines as a game that was in its eighth edition when extinguished. It's like looking at a newborn baby and saying "nope, it can't walk yet...burn it".

Ayin
08-07-2015, 19:34
Everything about them suggests they are Space Marines copied and pasted into a High Fantasy setting.

I don't understand how anyone would want to argue this.

GW wanted to re-make their previous Fantasy game, and a key part of this was to include a Space Marine like race. Now they have the Sigmarites, who both physically resemble Space Marines (model-wise and with 'Chapter' style painting variations) and mirror them in fluff.

That's neither good nor bad, it's not a judgement on them or on GW, it's just the truth of the matter.

King Julrf
08-07-2015, 20:13
What I find crazy is that GW have released a box where one army looks incredibly stupid and out of place (Sigmarines) and the other just looks incredible (The new Khorne minis are worth buying the box for alone).

This is just my opinion, of course. I just don't think the new Sigmar army fits in with fantasy, if the same minis had been released as, for example, a Blood Angels update I don't think anyone would have bat an eyelid.

Northern_Watch
08-07-2015, 20:17
This is just my opinion, of course. I just don't think the new Sigmar army fits in with fantasy

To my mind, the new Sigmar army looks exactly like fantasy warriors who revere Balthasar Gelt and are touched by the winds of metal magic would look.

In Dark Trees
08-07-2015, 20:18
I don't understand how anyone would want to argue this.

GW wanted to re-make their previous Fantasy game, and a key part of this was to include a Space Marine like race. Now they have the Sigmarites, who both physically resemble Space Marines (model-wise and with 'Chapter' style painting variations) and mirror them in fluff.

That's neither good nor bad, it's not a judgement on them or on GW, it's just the truth of the matter.

It is a statment of fact that functions as a value judgement. That GW's best idea for resuscitating Warhammer Fantasy was to destroy the original setting and sloppily create a new one that would be amenable to a new faction modeled on their most commercially-viable product line bespeaks enormous laziness and cynicism. They are either hoping the transparency of their scheme will be lost on most gamers or hoping it won't matter. I'm thinking they are betting on the latter.

I think its entirely fair to judge a company for defiling one of its products in order to save it. Speaking hypothetically, it would be like McDonald's trying to staunch the bleeding in its financial reports by metamorphosing into a "Mexican Grill" and replacing its lineup of abysmal burgers and sandwiches with customizable vaguely-Latin foodstuffs of uncertain cultural provenance. I don't feel like this scenario is entirely unlike what GW has done to Warhammer.

ShruikhanTK
08-07-2015, 20:31
Imagine the name of other units? Following the trend of Dark Elves

Holy Hammers!

Justice Shields!

Lightbright Arrows!

Goldswords!

Introducing the ProtoDemigryphvern! (slapped together wyvern/griffon) copright GW we will sue you if you make a model like this.

Ugh...we went from a stagnant setting to no setting at all.

Voss
08-07-2015, 20:33
To my mind, the new Sigmar army looks exactly like fantasy warriors who revere Balthasar Gelt and are touched by the winds of metal magic would look.

Which, oddly enough, isn't even vaguely what they are. They're bad touched by Sigmar,* his shiny unobtainium, and the wind of heavens.

*show us on the armor where the man-god touched you!

Ayin
08-07-2015, 20:33
This is just my opinion, of course. I just don't think the new Sigmar army fits in with fantasy, if the same minis had been released as, for example, a Blood Angels update I don't think anyone would have bat an eyelid.

Thankfully for GW the new Sigmarites don't have to fit with 'Fantasy', and only need to fit within Age of Sigmar, a game whose aesthetic so far includes Sigmarites and super Khorne-y Khorne dudes.

lbecks
08-07-2015, 22:52
They look like good guy Chaos Warriors. Who can beat the crap out of Chaos Warriors since they're very big. I wonder when we'll get corrupted Sigmarines. But Wolf Sigmarines first. I wouldn't be surprised if GW brought back colored metallics. Blue Steel Wolf Sigmarines that have axes. Green Metal Shadow Sigmarines with special swords. Metallic Red Blood Sigmarines that are extra wingy.

Bloodknight
08-07-2015, 23:49
But Wolf Sigmarines first

Depends on the question whether Sigmar found Ulric in the trunk of his flying planet core. I still don't like those guys, they stole Robocop's breastplate.

Tupinamba
09-07-2015, 01:36

LOL! Men, fortunatelly I wasn´t drinking any coffee when I read this.

Excellent!

lbecks
09-07-2015, 01:43
Depends on the question whether Sigmar found Ulric in the trunk of his flying planet core. I still don't like those guys, they stole Robocop's breastplate.

Sigmar clones himself and names one of them Ulric.

Tupinamba
09-07-2015, 02:00
But aren't these new Sigmarite warriors performing exactly the same role? i.e. providing people with a means (perhaps not so cheaply!) to building units that will be enlivened with future releases? People here are writing as though a brand new game should have the same amount of detail and variety in their product lines as a game that was in its eighth edition when extinguished. It's like looking at a newborn baby and saying "nope, it can't walk yet...burn it".

Maybe becauses it needlessly destroyed said game with 30 years background? Nobody cares if it´s "fair" towards GW to compare the old games richness to the new ones uninspiringness. The point is that the new stuff is inferior, so why do it? I´ll certainly not wait another 10 years for it to have the same critical mass as the b... game they are destroying in the first place.

jet_palero
09-07-2015, 02:04
The main thing I dislike about the Sigmarines is their size. They're clearly too large. The style is a bit plain, and obviously cad designed, but I don't mind that.

Had thee end times been resolved by Sigmar riding in on a white horse at the 11th hour with an army of Sigmarines and saving the day, I'd have been 'ok' with that. And then we could have had a divine 'good' army going forward in the form of sigmarines. I think that would have been a fine way to go. It'd follow a similar vein to the Imperium having IG and Marines as two separate armies. And GW could have their MEQ in WFB to attract the type of people who are into that. Everyone could have been reasonably happy, I think.

Mateobard
09-07-2015, 02:06
I've got half a mind to get space wolf terminator heads and do mine as the sons of Russ. Get some female heads for the Angels...

DonkeyMan
09-07-2015, 02:13
They don't look stupid to me (I don't mind Fantasy Space Marines even if they wouldn't be a favourite of mine). It's also a nice contrast between the two armies and they seem like the perfect adversaries. Almost like themed chess sets.
So if I would be new to Warhammer Fantasy I might have even be tempted to get a starter box. Depending on the rule set as well of course (I would still wait for mor reviews to come in).

But, I do know Warhammer Fantasy and I can already see the richness of fluff & diversity of miniatures been lost not to far in the future. It's a pity really.
For me also, with Age of Sigmar, I don't get this Warhammer feel.

skorczeny
09-07-2015, 02:31
Thankfully for GW the new Sigmarites don't have to fit with 'Fantasy', and only need to fit within Age of Sigmar, a game whose aesthetic so far includes Sigmarites and super Khorne-y Khorne dudes.

I think this is part of the problem. GW claims to be a miniature company. A miniature company for a fantasy setting needs to be generic to meet all fantasy miniature needs.

The sigmarites are not generic fantasy at all. They are only good for the new AoS GW game. I have no reason whatsoever to buy sigmarites unless I'm playing AoS. However, as long as GW makes generic foresty elves, they will appeal to a wide swath of fantasy miniature collectors regardless of game. AoS specific miniatures like sigmarites will never have the cross appeal generic WHFB miniatures did, or do.

lbecks
09-07-2015, 02:32
They don't look stupid to me (I don't mind Fantasy Space Marines even if they wouldn't be a favourite of mine). It's also a nice contrast between the two armies and they seem like the perfect adversaries. Almost like themed chess sets.
So if I would be new to Warhammer Fantasy I might have even be tempted to get a starter box. Depending on the rule set as well of course (I would still wait for mor reviews to come in).

But, I do know Warhammer Fantasy and I can already see the richness of fluff & diversity of miniatures been lost not to far in the future. It's a pity really.
For me also, with Age of Sigmar, I don't get this Warhammer feel.

They certainly lack the dirty feel that's been associated with Warhammer. They literally come from Heaven in super clean, shiny armor.

GrandmasterWang
09-07-2015, 04:18
ITT: Wolfmarites predicted for the first time. .. I honestly would not be surprised if they were coming at all. With Ulric they even have a fluff justification.

They can't do Bloodmarites because they have already been done (sigmarites are mostly fantasy blood angels).

However I look forward to the Darkmarites who wear robes and while they fight for Sigmar.... stuggle to conceal a terrible secret...

Freak Ona Leash
09-07-2015, 04:36
Well. If anyone ever wanted to do a Knights of the Silver Hand themed army from Warcraft, or an Argent Crusade themed army from World of Warcraft, Sigmarines are totally great of that.

Pretty crap models for playing Warhammer though.

Philhelm
09-07-2015, 04:48
Calm down, mate. Besides, I'm not sure what's so boring about this:

Nothing boring about a bunch of faceless, emotionless Sigmarite (as in the metal) golems who look exactly the same.

I suppose from a technical perspective, they are tolerably acceptable. But they are capitalist cynicism embodied; profit motive rendered in plastic. Everything about them suggests they are Space Marines copied and pasted into a High Fantasy setting.

And to everyone saying there weren't "heroic" humans in the grimy, low-tech Warhammer of old, I can only submit the following:

http://www.witchhunter.net/images/empire/empire_hero_halberd_1.jpg

That halberdier model is simply classic. That's a true hero who definitely has some stories to tell and a reason to resolutely stand against his foes.

Philhelm
09-07-2015, 04:56
I am painting mine blue to look like Ultramarines. For science. And to see heads explode when I put them on the table in a fantasy game. OPPONENT! BEHOLD MY ULTRAMARITES! *Heads explode*

If you want heads to explode, you should purchase actual 40K Terminators with thunder hammers and storm shields, paint them as Ultramarines, and use them in Age of Sigmar as Stormcast Liberators. Tell them that Age of Sigmar is actually set on Planet Sigmaron XV-4221, and that the Ultramarines have been deployed there in response to rumors of a Chaos incursion.

Orangecoke
09-07-2015, 05:08
Not stupid at all. I think they look quite cool.

Kburn
09-07-2015, 06:02
The look like golden italian robot men with dad bods

Philhelm
09-07-2015, 06:04

In other words, Blood Angels Chapter Master Dante, or the Sanguinary Guard.

Buddy Bear
09-07-2015, 06:11
Had thee end times been resolved by Sigmar riding in on a white horse at the 11th hour with an army of Sigmarines and saving the day, I'd have been 'ok' with that. And then we could have had a divine 'good' army going forward in the form of sigmarines. I think that would have been a fine way to go. It'd follow a similar vein to the Imperium having IG and Marines as two separate armies. And GW could have their MEQ in WFB to attract the type of people who are into that. Everyone could have been reasonably happy, I think.

I wish they had done something like that. Maybe Sigmarines could have been a result of a concerted effort between Sigmar, Ulric, and the Lady of the Lake. After all, how did Sigmar suddenly get so powerful that he could churn out these super warriors at will? If GW really wanted Sigmarines in Fantasy, they didn't need to blow up Warhammer Fantasy to get them.

Urgat
09-07-2015, 06:54
I'm glad they blew up the world,

1) if I don't like AoS in the end, they've given the best closure to my GW experience I would ever have hoped for.
2) from the beginning, they've prophecized that Chaos would win, it was written.
3) Archaon was the lord of end times, the last everchosen; having him lose (like in SoC) just made him and chaos as a whole incompetent and inconsequential. "Soooo... our lord of the end times is dead... How do we call the next one? The Lord of the Really End Times No Kidding ?"
4) gives me the occasion to laugh at that guy who kept claiming the "setting" (as opposed to story blablabla bs) would never change because Status Quo every time I think about WFB :evilgrin:

Yes, I am so petty and selfish. Sue me :p

Harwammer
09-07-2015, 07:12
I'm glad they blew up the world,

1) if I don't like AoS in the end, they've given the best closure to my GW experience I would ever have hoped for.
2) from the beginning, they've prophecized that Chaos would win, it was written.
3) Archaon was the lord of end times, the last everchosen; having him lose (like in SoC) just made him and chaos as a whole incompetent and inconsequential. "Soooo... our lord of the end times is dead... How do we call the next one? The Lord of the Really End Times No Kidding ?"
4) gives me the occasion to laugh at that guy who kept claiming the "setting" (as opposed to story blablabla bs) would never change because Status Quo every time I think about WFB :evilgrin:

Yes, I am so petty and selfish. Sue me :p

I think your point 2 and point 4 are in contradiction with respect to the actual warhammer world; the world was always going to end, so it was always part of the setting. AoS is a new, more story driven setting :P.

:evilgrin:

GrandmasterWang
09-07-2015, 07:16

Dad bod.... really...

the Sigmarines have athletic builds with sculpted abs not dad bods at all. Generic is a fair and backable criticism. .. dad bods makes no sense.

I actually think it would be hilarious if they did a Sigmarine dad bod army... it would actually be a lot more original....golden beer guts and all.... it might actually have been more popular with the veterans.

"Stormcast Eternals are the spirits of the greatest warriors humanity had to offer reforged with Sigmars indomitable will and girded with the finest armor............

Unfortunately during the war against Chaos they were all destroyed irreparably and Sigmars Realm looked poised to fall the Chaos once more......

Then in his darkest moment Sigmar remembered that humanity had far more numerous spirits to offer than just it's greatest warriors....... with that thought a (golden) lightbulb appeared above his head.

The Stormcast Averages are here now... the future of the world rests with them. Clad head to toe in glittering form fitting sigmarate armor... their glorious paunches and flabby arms protected from all incoming attacks. Their visage is that of a Dota Champion who had just finished a burger. The God-King put his faith in these new warriors to deliver his realm from Chaos."

Pre-order now: The Stormcast Bookkeepers. The Bookkeepers are vanguard of the Stormcast Average hosts. Behind their back are wings of purest light. They cannot fly as they are too fat but the wings enable to traverse the battlefield at an almost human speed.

Coming soon:
The Stormcast Parking Inspector - you don't want a ticket from this guy.... trust us
The Stormcast Secretary - Sigmar has never before been so organised
The Stormcast Legal Aid - The Prosecutors all perished in the first war.. this was all Sigmar had left.

Harwammer
09-07-2015, 07:31
I think Kburn's dad could probably have Grandmasterwang's dad :p.

I love the idea of Dadcast Avengers to fill the gaps in the Stormcast army!

Daniel36
09-07-2015, 08:18
I can't say whether I like or hate them from a purely aesthetic point of view, because I don't like or play 40K.

And that is what it is. This isn't Warhammer fantasy. They can say all they want about how the timeline has shifted a 1000 or so years, but that is still no excuse for coming up with these half-Space Marine, half-World of Warcraft models.

We are planning an AoS battle next week, just to see whether we like the system, but as far as timeline goes, we will stick firmly to the pre-destruction era. Saying that it is fine to use your old collection by coming up with some terribly lame backstory (Fair Sigmaron, really?) is just such nonsense. With that logic, they can just go ahead and write a Warscroll for bottlecaps, because aesthetically, they are just as close to these new models as the old models are.

Ludaman
09-07-2015, 08:34
They are dad bodied though. Huge thick torsos and too-thin arms, you can airbrush on some abs and wear hulk-hands but that's still a beer-gut dad...

tmod
09-07-2015, 20:06

Not seen them in person yet, but they seem horrible. Dynamics like early ninties metals with waving-sword syndrome, no variety or individuality. For those of us whose ever played Diablo 2+ or seen any of the Thor film no originality either. Just received a few Marauder era Chaos Dwarfs off eBay. No THAT was character...

Sent fra min GT-I9506 via Tapatalk

Vazalaar
09-07-2015, 20:14
I really like the look of those Sigmarites. Miniature wise I can't wait to see what other miniatures are released for AoS. Saturday I will finally have my starterset.

Tidings
09-07-2015, 21:28
I think at this point most of us are just repeating what others are saying. I like the models from a technical standpoint; they are well sculpted. From a design standpoint they don't fit fantasy at all. Just doesn't mesh at all, and I guess that's the goal. I think they are pretty dumb because I liked the gritty, slightly more realistic style of fantasy better. Previously, the badass elite troops in heavy armor were Bretonian knights and Chaos Warriors, etc. This is a blatant "how can we one up those and cash in on space marine players?"

These just scream corporate design to me and that's probably what disgusts me the most.

-Tidings

acrimonger
09-07-2015, 21:29
$10 a pop stupid.

RollofTheDice
11-07-2015, 08:29
I think at this point most of us are just repeating what others are saying. I like the models from a technical standpoint; they are well sculpted. From a design standpoint they don't fit fantasy at all. Just doesn't mesh at all, and I guess that's the goal. I think they are pretty dumb because I liked the gritty, slightly more realistic style of fantasy better. Previously, the badass elite troops in heavy armor were Bretonian knights and Chaos Warriors, etc. This is a blatant "how can we one up those and cash in on space marine players?"

These just scream corporate design to me and that's probably what disgusts me the most.

-Tidings

There is nothing disgusting about it.
Games Workshop is taking similair aspects of it's most popular faction from 40k, and applying them to a new faction in Warhammer for cross appeal. It's logical, not dumb.

And to be frank, the Human infantry options in warhammer are pathetic. Bretonian could muster a more professional looking force than the Empire at times, and the Warhammer video games, Mark of Chaos or eariler entries and the up-coming Total War:Warhammer show a better equipped and professional infantry force that the hobby did not emulate with it's mixed apperance and barefoot soldier.

Handmaiden
31-07-2015, 21:23
According to Josh Reynolds the Eternals were not all human men, and were forged out of all mortals Sigmar found. Under the armor could be a woman, an Elf, an Orc, anything not aligned to Chaos or a Daemon.

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer:_Age_of_Sigmar#Stormcast_Eternals

So why did Sigmar give them all the proportions of 8 ft steroidal human men? Is that how he likes his warriors?

If their power is divine and they have celestial powers, why'd they have to be so damn big? To be imposing? To put fear in their enemies? Why stop there then? Why not make them each the size of 19 ft tall Dreadnoughts? What's the practical purpose of marine like bulk and stopping half way?

I get it now. Age of Sigmar is the age of MEN. Muscled oiled up manly shirtless men! The Khornates are all shirtless and ripped, cos they bulk and cut don't ya know, ready for the Olympia stage and they be like BAM! Look at these 24 inch pythons! And the Sigmarines say, you think that's good? Watch this! And they hit dat front double bicep and they scream thirty inches brah! And then the Khornates, thoroughly emasculated, slink off quietly to the gym in preparation for their next epic confrontation. That's how Khornates and Sigmarines do battle in AoS. Thats how all races do battle in AoS.

EagleWarrior
31-07-2015, 21:46
I don't think they look too terrible actually. They're a classic example of scale creep, way, way too expensive, and should probably watch out for the Sanguinary guard's lawyers coming round to enforce their cross-setting copyright, but as models in their own right, they aren't terrible.

llort
01-08-2015, 02:41
It's the Khorne models (and name) that are not right at all. They have a creepy fetish look that precludes the very market share that GW was seeking. The Sig. models are good sculpts/designs save for the lightning bolt themes. The execution of the sculpts of the Khorne models is fine; however, the idea to move forward with those designs must have been inspired by some liquid spirits.

RedKnightSpecial
01-08-2015, 03:04
Pretty stupid. (Click for big)

The bearded one
01-08-2015, 06:37
Okay that makes them look rather silly. And even more reminiscent of the ways power armour is modelled.

DarkMatter2
01-08-2015, 07:02
They aren't terrible, they just look too same-ish up against similarly armored Khornate warriors.

Also, nothing could ever be as stupid as naming a dragon Dracothian.

The bearded one
01-08-2015, 07:04
Not even Sigmaron?

AlexHolker
01-08-2015, 08:15
According to Josh Reynolds the Eternals were not all human men, and were forged out of all mortals Sigmar found. Under the armor could be a woman, an Elf, an Orc, anything not aligned to Chaos or a Daemon.
Which is the worst sort of tokenism because we don't even get the ******* token. It's what you get when making a token effort is still more than you're willing to do.

Tokamak
01-08-2015, 08:25
I think they're fine. It everything else surrounding them I dislike.

Handmaiden
02-08-2015, 18:11
I've studied art and design, so I'll get specific.

The stylized lightning looks too "designed". Like a corporate logo which all Sigmarines display. Doesn't look like something Sigmar would invent as it looks like it was purposefully simplified for brand recognition. The hammer with the two cartoon lightning bolts. Why would that be there? To tell that these are Sigmarines? Like there's any mistaking the eight foot tall golden demigods? The storm imagery implies a lightning quick strike force, but their bulk and armour design implies a defensive heavy bulwark. That don't make no sense for them to use lightning.n :shifty: The head is strongly reminiscent of pulp sci fi serials and is shaped like a light bulb. It looks small, out of proportion to the massive body armour. The head looks like it's designed to pick up radio signals from Central Control of the Xadius Remidian System. The backpacks appear to serve no purpose whatsoever beyond dead weight. If they have lightning for blood they would be glowing out of any gaps in the armour. The giant pauldron that overlaps to the chest, or connects to the chest, would limit the movement of the arm underneath it tremendously. The pauldron appears to have no movement capability along the x-axis and only slight (potential) movement along the y-axis meaning he can't really move his arm up.

That's without getting into the more obvious problems of no human heads, their arbitrary size, mono build for an army drawn from all dead mortal heroes not aligned with chaos, no female sculpts, general lack of variety and individuality, saying you have to buy some book to see what the squad you paid £35 for even is, the fact that it costs that much, etc.

AngryAngel
02-08-2015, 19:18
Speaking personally, I love space marines, they were my first GW army in 40k or otherwise. I think they look cool, feel cool, I love them.

That being said, fantasy is no place for them. The sigmarines look bland and kind of blocky stupid. I don't like them at all. It isn't even just the model, its the whole package, they look doofy, feel doofy and their fluff and all about them cries CoD meets warhammer, with some over the top fanyboy tossed around within it. I mean they ride lightning, and shoot bows without strings to fire lightning "bolts ", they respawn when killed, end up with even less personality then a space marine ( which should be hard ) while being the white knight good guys from their camelot in the sky. I don't know, maybe I'm too grimdark spoiled ?

Buddy Bear
02-08-2015, 19:35
The whole respawn thing is... I don't know how to describe it in family friendly terms. I get the impression that GW wanted to create the greatest heroes of the Warhammer world, but how heroic can you possibly be if you know that, upon death, you'll simply return to your respawn point and start again?

The lack of personality thing is also a killer. Again, GW seems to want to create an army which will catch peoples interest, but how relatable are these guys if they start with next to no personality, and each death results in further loss of whatever miniscule personality remains to them? What especially surprises me about this is that that's pretty much what the Necrons were when they first came out, with only the C'Tan having any personality. There was nothing relatable about them all, so what did GW do? They completely retconned the Necrons so that they'd have personality. And here they are again repeating that same mistake. Do they really learn nothing from their errors?

As for the visuals, this is what kills them for me:

- The death mask. They look too much like Sanguinary Guard. That and it just doesn't look good as a common look. Sanguinary Guard work because their look is applied to a rare elite unit, not the common foot soldier. I think they'd look better with knight helms.
- The bulk. Why exactly are they so big again? Is it to justify the price they're charging for them? Because I don't see why they have to be so large.
- The variety. The archers really illustrate this. Must every single unit in the army have the same exact suit of full plate? Can't some units have lighter armor? And some models without helmets would be nice (but I suppose taking off their helmet would require sculpting a model which has personality, something lacking in this army)

AngryAngel
02-08-2015, 19:42
Good view Buddy Bear, couldn't agree more....:: Slides him that big ol honey pot !! :: :D

Kyriakin
02-08-2015, 19:45
I think they look fine aesthetically, but I hate what they represent.

Designed-by-committee, soulless and unapologetically corporate. They are, as already mentioned, the John Cena of war gaming.

Buddy Bear
02-08-2015, 19:59
Good view Buddy Bear, couldn't agree more....:: Slides him that big ol honey pot !! :: :D

*gasp* Honey without bees. My favorite!

Designed-by-committee, soulless and unapologetically corporate. They are, as already mentioned, the John Cena of war gaming.

Everything about Age of Sigmar seems designed by committee, including a rules system which encourages players to outspend each other in order to secure victory.

Sothron
03-08-2015, 05:16
There was an old board game where you had orcs versus humans with some kind of actual shooting catapult from the 80's that I remember playing. The sigmarines look like the knights from that game. Really badly done with some kind of weird 80's superhero fantasy aesthetic.

75hastings69
03-08-2015, 05:23
There was an old board game where you had orcs versus humans with some kind of actual shooting catapult from the 80's that I remember playing. ........

Crossbows & Catapults! ........ Still a better game than Age of Sigmar.

Azazel
03-08-2015, 06:46
I think they look awesome.

I won't be buying any though, because I only collect Chaos stuff. But they are great sculpts.

MagicAngle
03-08-2015, 07:27
Is anyone actually buying them?

So - I can just about imagine people wanting to play AoS when they're drunk and struggling to focus on a rulebook. And I can even envision someone buying the starter set so they can cannibalize it for 40k. But is anyone buying the Sigmarine boxes? 5 stultifying fatties for $58? Anyone?

Sothron
03-08-2015, 15:47
Crossbows & Catapults! ........ Still a better game than Age of Sigmar.

Thank you! I actually stayed up last night trying my best to remember that silly game.

infamousme
03-08-2015, 17:38
The actual models themselves? They aren't too bad. Better sculpts than what a lot of other companies put out. I dont like them for warhammer though.

The bearded one
03-08-2015, 18:37
I like some of the variation units. The regular ones with the shields and hammers are horridly dull, but the... * googles * retributors, with the two-handed hammers, have a better-looking version of the armour (better helmets, better pauldrons, etc.)

Buddy Bear
03-08-2015, 21:10
Wait, Paladin Retributors with two-handed hammers? I feel like there's something very familiar about that...

But I'm sure it's just an innocent coincidence.

Urgat
03-08-2015, 22:15
And... you picked a paladin using a hammer with one hand to make your point. Color aside, there's not a single common point between that WoW set and the stormcast eternals :/ For starters, that set is almost completely cloth, from a visual perspective. Cloth that stormcast eternals are pretty much completely devoid of...
Do people need to compare them to everything with a bit of gold? Methinks GW copied these (http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1iKJNHVXXXXa7XXXXq6xXFXXX9/-Details-about-9-Chinese-Dynasty-Folk-Copper-Duck-quack-quack-quacker-Incense-Burner-Censer-.jpg_350x350.jpg), you know, with the wings and stuff. They do look like a lot of things, from C3PO to the Simpsons. Impressive sculpting if they managed that, all things considered.

Buddy Bear
03-08-2015, 22:19
It's a two-handed hammer. It's just that at that particular moment in the animation he only has one hand on it. You completely missed the point, though. They're "Paladin Retributors" armed with two-handed weapons, while Warcraft has Retribution Paladins who are armed with two-handed weapons. So the name isn't exactly original, which is interesting given how much trouble GW's gone through to create an IP they can protect.

Mudkip
04-08-2015, 08:38
Blizzard is just as derivative as GW though, so they are a bad example. In any case, there's no doubt that Sigmarines are a hodgepodge of existing fantasy and mythological tropes. Sometimes this works and people recognize something they like in it; often it comes off as boring and uninspired. I'm no lawyer, but I too wonder these GW copyrights would stand up in court if challenged.

The next release supposedly are the "Khorne Bloodbound Bloodreavers".

swordofglass
04-08-2015, 08:44
The next release supposedly are the "Khorne Bloodbound Bloodreavers".

is that a joke or is that the actual name?

Mudkip
04-08-2015, 08:53
I honestly don't know.

Samsonov
04-08-2015, 09:23
I think the most recent ones, with two handed weapons, are a big improvement, multiple heads, a bit more dynamic. I could have imagined adding a single one as a character to an Empire army had it been in scale. An army of them would get dull very quickly. There are clear differences between tactical, assault and devastators, something I'm not seeing from the three Sigmarine releases.

Tokamak
04-08-2015, 09:56
Yeah I would have no objection to 8th ed Empire (or any 'order' side) players wanting to field an adapted version of them as an auxiliary in their armies.

Handmaiden
04-08-2015, 11:31
I think the most recent ones, with two handed weapons, are a big improvement, multiple heads, a bit more dynamic.

He can't raise his left upper arm due to the giant paudlron in the way. That would make wielding a 2 handed weapon very restrictive and annoying.

Sam!
04-08-2015, 11:52
Personally loathe them. They look ugly, awkward and silly. Are there any people actually pursuing AoS as a game? Hard to see how someone who loved traditional fantasy would enjoy Aos, but I guess there are a variety of tastes out there.

Red Skullz
04-08-2015, 12:26
I'm not anti-AoS but in the beginning I didn't really like the Stormcast. Though in my opinion the studio paintjobs aren't really showing any models off in a good light. After seeing the sprues firsthand I changed my opinion, especially after seeing some fantastic colour schemes on the freebie from WD in the Eavier Metal group on Facebook. So now I kinda want to paint some myself but I don't have time for it now.

Satan
04-08-2015, 13:27
The models are NOT at the forefront of what you can get in the way of miniatures (especially not plastic ones) today, but I think they look OK and they're surely conforming to the GW (I would say this differs from FW) design standard prior to AoS. I suppose the new bolters are a bit silly, but definitively no worse than the flying HE boat.

That said, I do dislike AoS with a passion, but the models are not the reason why.

blindingdark
04-08-2015, 15:12
The new models are fine. The new faction is fine. OG Empire miniatures no longer existing is not fine.

sulla
05-08-2015, 19:22
I like the models (well, the combat guys, not the shooters) but really dislike them in fantasy. These guys with pointy hats will make great adeptus custodes though.

Kyriakin
30-08-2015, 18:45
Minor threadomancy, but someone linked to this Kisleved sigmarine on the Chaos Dwarf Online forum:

As a kislev guy in my previous WHFB era, this is kinda cool, if likely completely out of scale.

Mudkip
30-08-2015, 18:56
Nice paintjob, but not really how I imagined Kislevites tbh. I don't think the Greco-Roman style is their thing.

Kyriakin
30-08-2015, 19:04
Nice paintjob, but not really how I imagined Kislevites tbh. I don't think the Greco-Roman style is their thing.
Yea, it looks a bit Turkic, borrowing themes of Kislev and Araby. The "dad bod" isn't a great base for Kislev to be honest.

Either way, I thought it was interesting that people are trying to add some character to these wretched things. If you are supposed to emphasise with something, a face goes a long way (conversely, for evil I much prefer the face to be hidden).

Edit: Just seen the intention was to make a warrior 'flavour' for a chapter of sigmarines - much like, say, Mongol for for White Scars or Viking for Space Wolves - rather than an actual Kislev troop conversion. So, scale is obviously not an issue...

WarsmithGarathor94
30-08-2015, 19:16
They look ok but not my cup of tea (I love my dark elves too much )

Horace35
30-08-2015, 19:41
I think stupid is the wrong word.

More lacking in character and pretty uninteresting in my opinion. They are okish.

I wouldn't hate them so much if warhammer wasn't cancelled for them, if they had just been crow-barred into WFB somehow.

Coldhatred
30-08-2015, 22:55
Give me some of them without helmets. I like them just fine, but cannot get behind the face mask helmets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Svetgar
31-08-2015, 20:13
I like them overall, but I think the head is too small, and I don't think I'd like it more if it were bigger. I've seen a few conversions with different heads that I vastly preferred those.

Sothron
31-08-2015, 20:46
They look like WoW paladins, esp. with the generic armor and huge for no reason shoulder guards.

Ludaman
31-08-2015, 20:53
As much as I dislike the entire sigmarine range, I am still holding out hope that AoS Elves and Dwarfs will be exceptional... I mean Aelfs and Duardin...

trotsky
01-09-2015, 01:31
I wish people would stop comparing them to Blizzard. The aesthetics of blizzard maybe a bit cartoony (they have had to work with a very old engine after all which ages very well because of the style) but comparing GW to blizzard in terms of lore is an insult. Blizzard have created the most deep, complicated and truly incredible fantasy universe every made. Even in their good years GW cannot compete at all. Every time i delve into warcraft lore it just makes me wish that GW had talented and committed writers.
If you don't believe me just watch some of Nobbel's warcrft lore videos on youtube.

Buddy Bear
01-09-2015, 01:44
I wish the Sigmarines had at least as much variety in options as the Sanguinary Guard, who they're clearly based off of. At least the Sanguinary Guard have three different head options, the death mask, a fancy power armor helmet, and a bare face. The Sigmarines would look so much better with knight helmets rather than the death masks.

Tarrell
01-09-2015, 03:00
I wish people would stop comparing them to Blizzard. The aesthetics of blizzard maybe a bit cartoony (they have had to work with a very old engine after all which ages very well because of the style) but comparing GW to blizzard in terms of lore is an insult. Blizzard have created the most deep, complicated and truly incredible fantasy universe every made. Even in their good years GW cannot compete at all. Every time i delve into warcraft lore it just makes me wish that GW had talented and committed writers.
If you don't believe me just watch some of Nobbel's warcrft lore videos on youtube.

Blizzard vs AoS, hell yess WoW's has a much better back story.
WoW's to WFB: I'm sure WoS's is good but not 30 years good.
WoW's to 40K: Hell No, 40K; lore and books are on another level.

Konovalev
01-09-2015, 19:51
They look markedly less stupid than BodybuildersWarriors of Chaos. Basically wrap a WoC in gold armor and tada~ Sigmarines.

And then there's Tomb Kings... I cringe whenever I see any of those models (except nagash). I really don't know what GW was thinking when they made that line. Compared to those two at least Sigs look alright.

Sephillion
01-09-2015, 19:58

I like WoW’s lore, but it’s really not that deep compared to a lot of other fantasy worlds, including old WHFB and the 40K setting. I’d place the worlds of Dungeons and Dragons (most of them anyway) a step ahead; and other worlds like the Iron Kingdoms more or less on equal footing.

Still, I agree the Sigmarines are comparable in looks only, not in terms of lore or depth. I don’t like what I saw so far of the Sigmarine’s fluff, but I also realize they’re brand new…

Shandor
01-09-2015, 22:02
Well the Shoulderpads are a bit 80's. I cant remember my Mom having shoulderpads in her cloth for no real reason. :)

Svetgar
01-09-2015, 22:29
I don't mind the shoulderpads. IMO they should have made them more ornate like WoW style, bigger etc.

JWH
02-09-2015, 14:37
while the production values of the models are great, the style of the sigmarines is bland, boring and characterless. They truly represent what I find so repulsive about AoS...forcing space marine lookalikes into warhammer fantasy. To me they also don't fit at all with the rest of the warhammer range. Just aweful.

I have to admit though that I've always played fantasy but do not care one bit for 40k. I've never really liked either the sci fi feel or space marines.

O.G-Palmer
02-09-2015, 15:05
They had so much potential when creating these things, the large surfaces could of been used to hold some amazing detail and patterns. Just look at the current'ish Dwarf ironbreakers, the subtle details put into what would otherwise be plain surfaces.

Slapping some skulls and bits of lightening all over the places just screams lazy and unimaginative. I don't hate AOS, but I cant stand the idea of what we have now got is a replacement for what we had before. Its like taking away an ice cream from someone that worked hard for it, then replacing it with a **** that's coated in some sprinkles.

I got the set itself, a few other bits like the Lord Castellant and I really did give this game a go but it got very boring, very quickly.

ewar
03-09-2015, 19:45
How about the new swirly Prime? I laughed so hard when I saw how much they're charging for Captain Bland of the Blandmarines.

I'm fairly insensitive to GW pricing but he takes things to another level.

Also, ludicrously rubbish model. How can anyone compare that robot tool to Karl Franz carrying ghal maraz? So sad.

Col. Tartleton
03-09-2015, 21:03
I just don't understand why they don't look like Space Wolves.

I mean this is Sigmar's army. I seem to remember Sigmar being a bare chested wolf venerating barbarian swinging a warhammer.

"Space Marines" are fine. Big men in very big armor with even bigger weapons is a fantasy trope, not a science fiction trope. However these Space Marines don't have glorious flowing mustaches or cloaks and pelts and trinkets and fetishes and weapons and skulls and religious texts or whatever else stuck to them. They seem like something Balthazar Gelt made, not Sigmar. They're undead in suits of golden armor with the occasional wizard symbols here and there.

Pojko
03-09-2015, 21:10

I mean this is Sigmar's army. I seem to remember Sigmar being a bare chested wolf venerating barbarian swinging a warhammer.

Because Space Wolves can never be Ultramarines... I mean Sigmarines.

They have to be as vanilla and characterless as possible so they can sell to as many people as possible. Looking all wolfy would be too niche.

Ludaman
03-09-2015, 21:44
They all are posed like infants walking around in baby-diapers, thighs in waddling position and arms stuck straight out to the side. They are too wide for their height or just not tall enough for their width. Don't even get me started on how silly the flying dudes look, or the Drack-Ox's enormous rectangular cankles...

JWH
03-09-2015, 23:00
They all are posed like infants walking around in baby-diapers, thighs in waddling position and arms stuck straight out to the side. They are too wide for their height or just not tall enough for their width. Don't even get me started on how silly the flying dudes look, or the Drack-Ox's enormous rectangular cankles...

They do seem like someone pushed on their head and they became shorter but wider as a result. This is especially poignant on the flying marines, which just seem fat from some angles. I'm sorry but, in spite of my reservations about AOS as a game, these models just all seem sub par from a design standpoint. I respect people who like their aesthetic, but at the same time I find myself hard pressed to see why people like them.

In fact thus far I'm not blown away by any model released for AOS....

Tarrell
04-09-2015, 06:53

"Space Marines" are fine. Big men in very big armor with even bigger weapons is a fantasy trope, not a science fiction trope. However these Space Marines don't have glorious flowing mustaches or cloaks and pelts and trinkets and fetishes and weapons and skulls and religious texts or whatever else stuck to them. They seem like something Balthazar Gelt made, not Sigmar. They're undead in suits of golden armor with the occasional wizard symbols here and there.
Balthazar Gelt made# You know I think you hit the mark here, they do look more like something he would make. Also they borrow heavily from the Thousand Sons.
To me there Blandmarines, I chringe at what GW now have pland for my Undead & Alefs

williamsond
04-09-2015, 06:58
I know i'm not fond of them thats for sure.

Aezeal
04-09-2015, 07:53

A completel ludicrous assumption: Sigmar was associated with wolves etc because he lived in something equal to the stone or bronze age. Since he lived the Empire has clearly evolved and Sigmar as god has also lived a few millenia, then end times and maybe some more time since he created the stormhost.
How stupid do you think sigmar is that he would still cling to furry armor. He's seen the effect of good armor on regular humans and takes it to the next level. All in all a pretty logical development.

Also (for the others) you might not like the look but these guys have a high fantasy look, not a scifi look.. just ask your lil brother/cousin or whatever: these are Knights not astronauts

Davidian
04-09-2015, 09:14

Trash.

I feel like there is a place in wargames for CAD but I have always enjoyed the simple pleasure of exploring a hand sculpted miniature with my paintbrush.

I fell a certain disconnect with these miniatures.

I'm in the "I have words for these but they are too offensive" camp.

Drakkar du Chaos
05-09-2015, 10:38
They looks all the same and they dont look fantasy to me.

When i see them i think "ogryns wearing heavy armor". This is not epic. It do not make me dreaming.

Tarrell
07-09-2015, 06:00
A completel ludicrous assumption: Sigmar was associated with wolves etc because he lived in something equal to the stone or bronze age. Since he lived the Empire has clearly evolved and Sigmar as god has also lived a few millenia, then end times and maybe some more time since he created the stormhost.
How stupid do you think sigmar is that he would still cling to furry armor. He's seen the effect of good armor on regular humans and takes it to the next level. All in all a pretty logical development.

Also (for the others) you might not like the look but these guys have a high fantasy look, not a scifi look.. just ask your lil brother/cousin or whatever: these are Knights not astronauts

No im afraid he said they look like space marines, but lacking guns and not as cool.

Red Skullz
07-09-2015, 06:39
What is this thread, a contest in coming up with the most insulting stuff you can think of with a flair of originality?

Look at this army and tell me it's not great? http://www.exprofundis.com/stormcast-eternals-of-the-immortal-tribunal/

Main problem imo is that GW has non-appealing paintjobs on their stuff these days but I guess that has more to do with target demographic not quality on its own.

Ludaman
07-09-2015, 07:36
Hey Red Skullz! I like that paint scheme, it reminds me a lot of Coppola's Dracula Film, the whites really bring out the reds!

That being said, I still think the stormcast eternals look like fat infant robots. I'd love to see that same paint scheme applied to a vampire counts army :)

thesoundofmusica
07-09-2015, 07:54
Great looking army. Kind of a marble statues/roman legionnaire feel.

The models do look thick or clunky in a few places but I think the overall army look is great.

ewar
07-09-2015, 07:58
What is this thread, a contest in coming up with the most insulting stuff you can think of with a flair of originality?

Look at this army and tell me it's not great? http://www.exprofundis.com/stormcast-eternals-of-the-immortal-tribunal/

Main problem imo is that GW has non-appealing paintjobs on their stuff these days but I guess that has more to do with target demographic not quality on its own.

The paint job is lovely, totally agree with you there. However the models are still badly proportioned: look how chunky their wrists and ankles are, they go even beyond what GW tries to get away with on space marines. They still have no personality - we need to see their faces!

Their armour is still covered in infantile hammers and lightning zags. Seriously - which designer thought that was a cool army emblem?

I think Sigmar needs to have a long chat with his branding agency.

tmod
07-09-2015, 08:12

It's not great...

The paintjob is superb, though. Really nice colour choices, and tasteful red contrast. Very nice weathering. The models still look stupid though, and no paintjob can save ugly helmets, poor proportions and boring surfaces...

H3L!X
07-09-2015, 08:23
I think the models look good.
But hen i never played fantasy and thus am not used to the old design.
But still i like the old style too.

What i think is worse, is the fact that they respawn!
I just hate the fact that something is unkillable/immortal. Same goes for the 40k version of unkillable/immortal people (do not know how they are called)
Even demons can be killed!

Edit: Perpetuals is the 40k version and i really dislike it!
Gesendet von meinem GT-I9195 mit Tapatalk

Senbei
07-09-2015, 08:25
Really nice colour choices, and tasteful red contrast.

Now, I'd have said that they were very well painted but that the painter had no grasp on colour theory. The models being un-inspiring is probably their main crime though. The last few months have just been release ater release of 'man in dull suit of all-enclosing armour standing in an uncomfortable looking pose'.

samael
07-09-2015, 10:19

Fine I will, it's not great!

Superb paintjob, let down by the uninspired, overly large, soulless automatons that are the Sigmarines. (imho ofc)

Jind_Singh
07-09-2015, 10:25
Wow - nice paint job on those minis.

In response to the thread - not that stupid at all, I actually quite enjoy the look. I've invested in 2 lots of the starter set Sigmarites and added 5 archers and two characters to the mix.

I'm currently painting them up in classic Roman Legion/Greek colors because why not!

It's a nice break from my Empire, Orcs & Goblins, Chaos, Damons that's been collected over the years. I think that the Sigmarite look is appropriate for the new setting being created - but then again I'm just a single voice

Spiney Norman
07-09-2015, 13:29

Technically very high quality paint jobs, your ceramic effect on the armour is really good, although I'm not sure ceramic effect is the necessarily the best way to render armour, also I love the blood effects you've done.

For me it doesn't quite fix the biggest problem with SCEs, which is the universal lack of faces (in fact the only one that does actually come with a bare head - the Lord relictor, you replaced with a characterless deathmask anyway). If I had to make an army of SCE I would have at least one model without a helmet per squad (representing the prime), partly because I love painting faces and partly because it gives you a point of connection with the model,

Red Skullz
07-09-2015, 13:33
Technically very high quality paint jobs, your ceramic effect on the armour is really good, although I'm not sure ceramic effect is the necessarily the best way to render armour, also I love the blood effects you've done.

For me it doesn't quite fix the biggest problem with SCEs, which is the universal lack of faces (in fact the only one that does actually come with a bare head - the Lord relictor, you replaced with a characterless deathmask anyway). If I had to make an army of SCE I would have at least one model without a helmet per squad (representing the prime), partly because I love painting faces and partly because it gives you a point of connection with the model,

I'm with you on the faces as it conveys character in a way masks can't - though automaton deathmachines are quite well represented with the masks.
Out of curiosity, what type of head would you choose? A healthy looking face or more Spawn (comic book character) style?

Spiney Norman
07-09-2015, 13:45
I'm with you on the faces as it conveys character in a way masks can't - though automaton deathmachines are quite well represented with the masks.
Out of curiosity, what type of head would you choose? A healthy looking face or more Spawn (comic book character) style?

It kind of depends what you're going for, personally I think a healthy, youngish 'heroic' looking face would be best, especially if you're wanting to ramp up the classical-statue feel of the armour.

Personally I'm not a fan of the models in general, it's not just the lack of faces its the whole clunky inelegant feel of them, they just look very 'happy meal toy', personally if I'd been designing them I would've fluffed sigmarite as a mithril-type metal that makes strong armour that is finer and more elegant than steel plate not more than double the thickness.

Red Skullz
07-09-2015, 15:12
Hey Red Skullz! I like that paint scheme, it reminds me a lot of Coppola's Dracula Film, the whites really bring out the reds!

That being said, I still think the stormcast eternals look like fat infant robots. I'd love to see that same paint scheme applied to a vampire counts army :)

Great looking army. Kind of a marble statues/roman legionnaire feel.

The models do look thick or clunky in a few places but I think the overall army look is great.

The paint job is lovely, totally agree with you there. However the models are still badly proportioned: look how chunky their wrists and ankles are, they go even beyond what GW tries to get away with on space marines. They still have no personality - we need to see their faces!

Their armour is still covered in infantile hammers and lightning zags. Seriously - which designer thought that was a cool army emblem?

I think Sigmar needs to have a long chat with his branding agency.

It's not great...

The paintjob is superb, though. Really nice colour choices, and tasteful red contrast. Very nice weathering. The models still look stupid though, and no paintjob can save ugly helmets, poor proportions and boring surfaces...

Fine I will, it's not great!

Superb paintjob, let down by the uninspired, overly large, soulless automatons that are the Sigmarines. (imho ofc)

Personally I think Jake (the painter) nailed the essence of these immortal warriors, and he's the first one doing it properly. I do own a Thunderstorm brotherhood and I plan on taking much the similar route but with my take on them. Assembling them they're undoubtedly great quality and a clear GW product and I think they fit in well with the rest in the new setting. The comments you apply on them as yo why you don't like them are imo more applicable to Warmahordes as those miniatures are awful. I just don't bring it up normally as it's neither here nor there. Some like it, some don't.

Denny
07-09-2015, 15:18
They look markedly less stupid than BodybuildersWarriors of Chaos. Basically wrap a WoC in gold armor and tada~ Sigmarines.

I think this is the core of it. Sigmarines are supposed to be the Order version of Chaos Warriors; giant oversized warriors in full plate armour.
I presume the sculpted chest plates and face mask are supposed to make them look less evil.

I don't like the models, but based on the (presumed) design criteria the final product makes total sense.

HobbyKiller
07-09-2015, 18:19
I hated the look of the when they first came out but I think that was as much to do with the gold paint job as anything else - they clearly are meant to be various orders of them (think space marine chapters) which gives us permission to invent any look we want.

I personally hate the look of Blood Angels and Ultramarines but really dig Dark Angles colours - and am planning to paint a Stormcast force in their colours.

Think that they look exactly like they should given their back story

tmod
07-09-2015, 23:04
Personally I think Jake (the painter) nailed the essence of these immortal warriors, and he's the first one doing it properly. I do own a Thunderstorm brotherhood and I plan on taking much the similar route but with my take on them. Assembling them they're undoubtedly great quality and a clear GW product and I think they fit in well with the rest in the new setting. The comments you apply on them as yo why you don't like them are imo more applicable to Warmahordes as those miniatures are awful. I just don't bring it up normally as it's neither here nor there. Some like it, some don't.

I'll grant this, they are by far the best painted AoS minis I've seen so far. Doesn't change the fact the models still look stupid and silly. Not a fan of the style of Warmahordes myself, but they do have a distinct style which I guess some people like. The Sigmarines are just boring...

Kyriakin
08-09-2015, 00:59
As a low-level painter, this picture confuses me.

There don't seem to be - to my novice eyes, at least - many advanced techniques employed here, with a limited palette and plenty of detail that has not really been picked out... and yet this unit is unquestionably awesome.

I can't work out why.

forseer of fates
08-09-2015, 01:22
Why doesn't this have a poll:p

Kyriakin
08-09-2015, 01:27
Why doesn't this have a poll:p
The "yes" bar would probably disappear off the right side of my screen and then likely crash through my bedroom wall.

Edit: Actually, maybe not, as they don't look "stupid"... just cold and sterile.

mbh1127
08-09-2015, 01:35

There don't seem to be - to my novice eyes, at least - many advanced techniques employed here, with a limited palette and plenty of detail that has not really been picked out... and yet this unit is unquestionably awesome.

I can't work out why.

Shows how important a decent color scheme really is

Kburn
08-09-2015, 04:08
don't like the fat faux-roman/greek statue look they have. They do look pretty bad.

Why couldn't they have gone conan-esque barbarian the original sigmar actually looked like? Give them space marine stats by saying their muscles are so dense that spears cannot hurt them, and their superior naked-barbarian incarnation means that they have great reflexes, thus having a great save.

Or at the very least, make them skinny. The fat guys with wings look especially terrible.

Red Skullz
08-09-2015, 05:27

I can't work out why.

Well I think it's several things. First off it's a very talented painter doing it and the cracked effect and use of washes and blends brings out a lot. Basically I think that the palette and theme fits the miniatures so well that it's basically telling a story just by looking at them. I know I was in the "don't care much for Stormcast" group until seeing these. Now I'm not going to replicate what he's doing but I'll try to take a different route than the official paintjobs that's for sure. I'm even getting the prime as I have plans.

ewar
08-09-2015, 13:10
You're really going to spend £48 on a single, infantry sized plastic model? I just can't get my head around that (and I am a mug for spending money on models - ask my wife).

Compare him to one of the HH primarchs, dual use bases etc. I mean, they price gap there is insanely small. But then if there are players out there buying them, maybe GW isn't completely bat-s**t insane.

Red Skullz
08-09-2015, 14:28
Plastic crack is rough mate (but oh so fun) ;)

Sephillion
08-09-2015, 14:52

Dat paintjob.

Those are the starter models, though, and I think they are the best ones – it’s the rest of the range that is really limiting. Even actual Space Marines have more diversity thanks to their arsenal of vehicles that mix with their on-foot models, and I find Chaplains/Librarians different enough from the run-of-the-mill Marine.

Marines have also variety in helmets, as well as the option of going no helm. I think it reduces the feeling of homogeneity that permeates the Sigmarines.

But I agree with you, I think a different paintjob would improve the overall sentiment of the range. I have no doubt the minis themselves are fine.

thesoundofmusica
08-09-2015, 16:54
You're really going to spend £48 on a single, infantry sized plastic model? I just can't get my head around that (and I am a mug for spending money on models - ask my wife).

Compare him to one of the HH primarchs, dual use bases etc. I mean, they price gap there is insanely small. But then if there are players out there buying them, maybe GW isn't completely bat-s**t insane.

It doesnt look infantry size, but is it?

Spleendokta
08-09-2015, 16:58
I guess I'm a minority here, yes I do love AoS the game. The sigmarines however are terrible. I'm thinking they are the reason the game is not taking off when they are the faceless poster boys of the new game.

Inquisitor Gideon
08-09-2015, 17:51
To be honest, i neither love or hate them. I'm completely apathetic. Which to me, is worse than hating them. They don't stir any sort of emotion in me, they are just there.

ewar
09-09-2015, 01:08
I guess I'm a minority here, yes I do love AoS the game. The sigmarines however are terrible. I'm thinking they are the reason the game is not taking off when they are the faceless poster boys of the new game.

I think I've been pretty vocal about how awful I think the Blandmarines are - but in all honesty, they are truly the best thing about AoS!

Ludaman
09-09-2015, 03:09
I think I've been pretty vocal about how awful I think the Blandmarines are - but in all honesty, they are truly the best thing about AoS!

Nope! You forgot Griffondog!

Sthenio
09-09-2015, 14:19
I liked them until I had the sprues in hand. always been a fan of the whole Paladin archetype, so an army of stoic dudes in playe armed with hammers and shields was right up my street.

However, after buying the Cellestant (The halbard/lantern hero?) I felt really ripped off by the quality of the kit. There's no sharpness to the detail, the scrolls and cloth are really thick with round hems where they should be just flat. The seam for the two halves of the body are in a very public place and there's a noticeable gap between them that's going to require much use of green-stuff. It's a million miles away from the level of quality GW was consistently putting out with the Dark Eldar reboot and that was how many years ago?

its really put me off wanting to go any deeper into the army, which sucks as I did actually like the design of the Stomcasts. The level of quality however is something I'd expect more from Privateer Press' awful restic material. Massive disappointment.

Lordmonkey
14-09-2015, 23:48
I just... i'm so sick of them now. As if the first release wasn't boring enough, somehow people are still maintaining levels of excitement and enthusiasm about these Stormcast despite the fact that GW have given not much more than a slight nod to other factions, other than the goretide khorne, if only to give the Stormcast something to kick around. For those people excited for Stormcast, more power to them. I just can't get my head around it. To me they all look exactly the same.

Then again, I only play xenos in 40k because Space Marines bore me to tears :p

NagashLover
15-09-2015, 03:03
somehow people are still maintaining levels of excitement and enthusiasm about these Stormcast

I know right? It's like these people have a different preference for things. It's ludicrous! It's like people who enjoy a type of pizza, car or painting.

In all seriousness I don't disagree with your opinion on them. I find them as "inspiring" and "interesting" as Space Marines ...which is why I don't play Space Marines (though I do play SoB though play mostly with DE and Nids). Also another reason I find 30K to be boring in fluff and play.

As for the nod to other factions it the Stormcast are for all intents a new faction in a brand new setting as well as being the major good faction in the setting. The system also lacks 30 years of established structure and models for the other factions to really occupy the space. Who knows what it will look like in a year or two. Could be worse, could be better all I know at this point is the Khorne models as bland as Khorne has always been and I'm waiting to see how they handle the other factions before I even consider being interested in the game.

Tarrell
15-09-2015, 03:38
To be honest, i neither love or hate them. I'm completely apathetic. Which to me, is worse than hating them. They don't stir any sort of emotion in me, they are just there.
For me I can't stand them, there back story is so similar to 40K space marines that I feel they are tarnishing the epic'ness that Space Marine armies and the Emperor represent.
Honestly all the armour looks good at a distance, but lacks the true details up close.
We all know a Space marines armour isn't just some shaped metal, there's semite, wiring, essentially technology, that not only adds protection from combat but does so many other tasks.
I am just praying this isn't a re occurring theme for all AoS, big bulky detail lacking bland models. (Kind of like their rule book.) With more time spent showing off the miniatures arrayed together or against some enemy.

Spiney Norman
15-09-2015, 07:05
For me I can't stand them, there back story is so similar to 40K space marines that I feel they are tarnishing the epic'ness that Space Marine armies and the Emperor represent.
Honestly all the armour looks good at a distance, but lacks the true details up close.
We all know a Space marines armour isn't just some shaped metal, there's semite, wiring, essentially technology, that not only adds protection from combat but does so many other tasks.
I am just praying this isn't a re occurring theme for all AoS, big bulky detail lacking bland models. (Kind of like their rule book.) With more time spent showing off the miniatures arrayed together or against some enemy.

I feel much the same, the Sigmar/stormcast storyline definitely feels like a parody somebody made up to mock the space marine fluff in 40k where everything is extrapolated to ridiculous extreme in an attempt to be moar epic.

williamsond
15-09-2015, 10:41
I made this for another thread but its kind of fitting here regards to my thoughts on the sigmarines.

ewar
15-09-2015, 10:44
I feel much the same, the Sigmar/stormcast storyline definitely feels like a parody somebody made up to mock the space marine fluff in 40k where everything is extrapolated to ridiculous extreme in an attempt to be moar epic.

I can understand them appealing to 11 year old boys, but outside that slightly narrow demographic it just doesn't compute.

What will be next? A 20ft tall sigmarine, riding an actual lightning bolt, with sharks for fists and shooting lasers from his eyes.

WFB , despite its silly stuff, was always a universe grounded in reality. That gave context to the crazy fantasy elements like greater daemons.

They've gone completely off the chart now, which makes everything 'meh'.