PDA

View Full Version : Bought Some Skelingtons, Now What?

SlowingCoyote
07-07-2015, 21:16
So I recently leapt into the maelstrom that is Warhammer Fantasy, buying a box of Vampire Counts Skeleton Warriors. I was wondering where to go from there if I want an effective, yet small army. I have 30 spare now, what should I buy next?

On a side note, the Skeleton Warriors look so fething cool.

Tzar Boris
08-07-2015, 03:02
Depends on the rules you're planning on using.

There's a lot of rulesets to choose from.

Any way you choose to proceed, you'll need yourself a General. You could go full mental Lord and get a Carstein, or a Necromancer to tide you by until you know the direction you want to head. Zombie heavy, Skeleton heavy, Blood Knights, Beasties, Spirits etc. Go for a theme and that'll help you make your next move. I always find that I LOVE certain units just for the fluff and how I imagine they'd work in my mind (That's why I played Clan Eshin for the longest time), and if I can replicate that on the board, even better, but some prefer to look at how powerful a unit is with a certain tactic over certain enemies. There's no wrong way and no matter what, if you keep an open mind, even if you lose a lot early on, the key is not to just spend more money, but just to look again at how you're using what you have.

Me? I always liked Banshees and Spirit hosts...

Mawduce
08-07-2015, 03:08
So I recently leapt into the maelstrom that is Warhammer Fantasy, buying a box of Vampire Counts Skeleton Warriors. I was wondering where to go from there if I want an effective, yet small army. I have 30 spare now, what should I buy next?

Build an Evil Dead themed army lol

ShruikhanTK
08-07-2015, 03:54
You chose a very odd time to start WHF. Long Live 8th! is all I gotta say....and undead rule youc ant go wrong build what you like just remember to mix in some high strength units into your shambling hordes and your golden.

SlowingCoyote
08-07-2015, 05:16
Build an Evil Dead themed army lol

Cut a Ghoul in half, give it a trap door and then tart it up with some makeup. GENIUS.

Tzar Boris
08-07-2015, 14:45
Maybe make a dude with a fabulous chin, in a blue shirt, armed with a chainsaw, and let your opponent use him...

Groovy.

Venthrac
08-07-2015, 14:53

I would suggest looking for a leader of some kind to muster your newly-risen undead forces. Since you have started with Vampire Counts, I would suggest seeking out a vampire lord, and then perhaps a necromancer. From there, you can build on the core of your army with units such as zombies, ghouls and perhaps some cavalry such as black knights.

You can make those quid go further by seeking out used models on eBay.

GrandmasterWang
08-07-2015, 20:15
I read the thread title and thought it was about GW renaming skeletons to skelingtons to try and trademark them lol

For some reason I actually like the name skelington.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Ayin
08-07-2015, 20:25
For some reason I actually like the name skelington.

Probably have good memories of Nightmare Before Christmas.

As others have said, SlowingCoyote, you've chosen an incredibly confusing time to get into the hobby, but you're undeniably right about one thing: The 8th ed Vampire Counts Skeletons look awesome!

de Selby
08-07-2015, 21:03
Well, Age of Sigmar is good for you assuming you can find someone to play against. You'll be playing little skirmish games so I suggest a necromancer model to raise things, and then whatever models you like. A wight lord, black knights or grave guard are cool models.

On the other hand if your opponents are wanting to field more stuff (and you care about balance at all) big multiwound creatures are going to give you the most fighting power for your money.

TheFang
08-07-2015, 21:10
I would strongly advise you buy nothing. If you like AoS wait until they release the undead for that. Current models are going to be invalidated, probably inside the next 12 months.

Ayin
08-07-2015, 21:25
Well, Age of Sigmar is good for you assuming you can find someone to play against. You'll be playing little skirmish games so I suggest a necromancer model to raise things, and then whatever models you like.

If he's planning on playing "little skirmish games" then an army built on summoning more models to the field is probably the wrong way to go.

Attilla
08-07-2015, 22:41
For Age of Sigmar, I would suggest a Vampire model, a Banshee and a pack of Crypt Horrors. That will give you some magic, a nice command ability and some tough fighters.

For Fantasy 8th, what the others said but alot more models! ;)

de Selby
09-07-2015, 01:10
If he's planning on playing "little skirmish games" then an army built on summoning more models to the field is probably the wrong way to go.

Well maybe, but why play undead if you're not going to do any summoning? Seems perfect for skirmishes involving a band of soldiers encountering a seemingly minor undead threat, and then more stuff starts coming up out of the ground (allowing for recycling casualties). Sounds like the premise of a movie. You're going to have to negotiate a scenario with your opponent anyway, it's Age of Sigmar.

Harwammer
09-07-2015, 06:33
Keep adding to your collection whatever you think looks coolest! Don't forget, any model can be your general so you needn't necessarily purchase a character for that role until you are ready.

GrandmasterWang
09-07-2015, 06:42
I would strongly advise you buy nothing. If you like AoS wait until they release the undead for that. Current models are going to be invalidated, probably inside the next 12 months.

I completely doubt this simply because GW is a business. The newer plastic kits which include the VC skelingtons :) will 99% chance not be invalidated anytime soon.

GW wants to make money off of the expensive plastic moulds for all the newer VC/TK kits to increase their return on investment. If you buy the newer kits (like the banshee for example) you aren't really at risk. It is the older non plastic sculpts like the Black Coach which will be the first to go.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Col. Tartleton
09-07-2015, 06:51
Nothing will be invalidated. We have rules for the old models.

Age of Sigmar is do whatever you want, just use our models.

Pacman
09-07-2015, 07:45

Lol, skeletons are about as generic fantasy as you can get. They can't be "invalidated", whatever that means. Even if GW stopped including then in AoS (they won't) you could use any one of dozens of rule sets to play with them.

The only miniatures it's risky to buy right now are the GW-specific ones like Lizardmen.

TheFang
09-07-2015, 08:58
Nothing will be invalidated. We have rules for the old models.

Age of Sigmar is do whatever you want, just use our models.Let's see what happens to the Wood Elves if they're the first army to be revisited and how long the "rules for old models" last.

Lol, skeletons are about as generic fantasy as you can get. They can't be "invalidated", whatever that means. Even if GW stopped including then in AoS (they won't) you could use any one of dozens of rule sets to play with them.

The only miniatures it's risky to buy right now are the GW-specific ones like Lizardmen.
The whole point of Age of Sigmar is to make the minis protectable for IP. The new skeletons or whatever they're called will not look like the existing miniatures.

jtrowell
09-07-2015, 10:28
At worst he will be able to use his undead army for Kings of War. In fact, maybe he should start with that, at least KoW is supposed, with the new edition released tommorrow, and the game is better balanced that Warhammer ever was with open beta testing by the community.

Ayin
09-07-2015, 11:48
From my experience so far, the Kings of War base rules are rock solid.

Pacman
09-07-2015, 12:10
The whole point of Age of Sigmar is to make the minis protectable for IP. The new skeletons or whatever they're called will not look like the existing miniatures.

Who really cares? You won't suddenly be unable to play the game because you've got the "wrong kind of skeletons".
You don't even HAVE to use Citadel miniatures to play if you don't want to, you just won't be able to play in a GW store or some tournaments. I've never played a game in a GW store in my life, and have absolutely zero desire to ever do so despite having one about five minutes from my house.
There are plenty of people having fun using whole armies that are no longer supported like Chaos Dwarves and DoW. It's not really a big deal.

TheFang
09-07-2015, 12:20
Who really cares? You won't suddenly be unable to play the game because you've got the "wrong kind of skeletons".

What I'm trying to get across is that for a new player you buy a box of old skellies. If GW change undead you might find the design of the skellies changes. You'll have an army with different aesthetic minis in the same units. To a new player if you want to play AoS with the latest AoS minis (in a GW store) then you'll be better off waiting for the new minis.

If you want to play other games as a new player then the best advice is to hit ebay and have the patience to wait for bargains to show. Wargames Factory IIRC do very cheap plastic skellies and you can pick up old GW undead for buttons on ebay if you're not in a big hurry.

Pacman
09-07-2015, 13:48
What I'm trying to get across is that for a new player you buy a box of old skellies. If GW change undead you might find the design of the skellies changes. You'll have an army with different aesthetic minis in the same units.

I really don't think it's a big enough problem to warn someone about. If you were really irked that GW's new style of skeletons didn't match the current ones then you'd just buy some that did.

I don't think you can really change the look of a skeleton much anyway. Worst case scenario would be a head/shield/weapon swap to make it look like anything you wanted.

Col. Tartleton
09-07-2015, 15:08
Let's see what happens to the Wood Elves if they're the first army to be revisited and how long the "rules for old models" last.

They can't get rid of them. They're on the internet. I've got it all saved on my hard drive like hundreds of other people. If they take them down someone else will upload them. If there's a 10th edition/2nd edition then no, you're probably right, but for now its entirely legal.

We don't know that.

SlowingCoyote
09-07-2015, 16:38
Everyone to change.org. Get the petition going!

Ayin
09-07-2015, 16:50
Everyone to change.org. Get the petition going!

Was there more to this post that was going to make it somehow relevant and was cut-off for technical reasons, or perhaps did you post this to the wrong area?

Nightfall Shimmer
09-07-2015, 18:02
Literally the only answer you need:

Buy whatever you think looks cool.

SlowingCoyote
09-07-2015, 18:15
It was in reply to somebody saying it would be cool to rename skeletons skellingtons in Age of Sigmar.

Harwammer
09-07-2015, 18:24
Killingtonnes!

Ayin
09-07-2015, 18:25
It was in reply to somebody saying it would be cool to rename skeletons skellingtons in Age of Sigmar.

Ah! Sorry if I was the only one who didn't get that. In this case, i support this movement fully! Hopefully GW can put striped suits on them and give them ghost dog companions, that way they're not just generic fantasy archetypes, but a unique property completely thought up by GW.

Killingtonnes!

Just read this as "Klingons" and was again confused. I might be done internet-ing for the day...