PDA

View Full Version : My basic issue concerning Age of Sigmar...

BBWags
08-07-2015, 01:47
Call me a hater if you will, I'm sure some will, but I think there is a lot wrong with this new system, but there is one thing that is fundamental to my reason for disliking it. There is a huge disparity between the intensity and the "seriousness" of the physical models / sculpts and the background fluff (such as it is) . . . between all that and the rules. In short, the models and background are intense, incredibly detailed, and immersive . . . but the rules are just . . . not. It just feels off. Forget whether you actually LIKE the rules, because honestly if you are OK with simple rules, it wouldn't take many tweaks to make these ones decent. Anyway, it's not about the quality of the rules, they're just so simplistic as compared to the models / fluff. There's nothing to "sink yourself into."

Anyway, I could keep on explaining but I think the point is made, whether or not anyone agrees, I dunno. Anyway, one more recap just for my own sake.

Fluff - deep, intricate, engrossing.
Models - intense, enthralling, serious-looking

Rules - . . . simplistic, corny, uninvolved . . .

Obviously, a lot of this is subjective. Perhaps some folks find the new rules incredibly engaging and all, but I just don't see it.

Thoughts on this perspective?

sixfthoneybadger
08-07-2015, 02:27
Yea that's a good summary. I want a life and death struggle. A clashing of shields. The ringing of steel swords. The dropping of comets and lightning on your enemies. What I got was silly dances and Candyland rules.

3eland
08-07-2015, 02:32
Well if you believe stuff Bell puts up it was because GW wanted to give all models rules while they introduced the new range. The new models have a lot better rules.

Kahadras
08-07-2015, 02:37

My main problem is Warhammer Space Marines. You can see exactly what the line of thinking was. Space Marines sell well. Warhammer doesn't sell very well. Let's put Space Marines in Warhammer!

The background is OK I suppose (I was interested in the various realms being linked to the individual winds of magic). Rules needed to be a lot better IMHO.

Mawduce
08-07-2015, 02:37
Well if you believe stuff Bell puts up it was because GW wanted to give all models rules while they introduced the new range. The new models have a lot better rules.

Until we just proxy the new kits with other stuff.... unless you just take that route. I mean yea you can't play in the store, but who wants to play in a crypt.

Noodle!
08-07-2015, 03:30

I actually feel quite the opposite here. I've read the fluff that was scanned and posted here (and I assume is now deleted) and I felt it was more shallow than it's ever been. I'm also not that into the models as I feel they're approaching the "too much is too much". They're so busy and don't please my eye very much. That's going to vary wildly between different people though, so it's hard to argue.

I really can't find a single thing about AoS that I like.

mhsellwood
08-07-2015, 03:38
Call me a hater if you will, I'm sure some will, but I think there is a lot wrong with this new system, but there is one thing that is fundamental to my reason for disliking it. There is a huge disparity between the intensity and the "seriousness" of the physical models / sculpts and the background fluff (such as it is) . . . between all that and the rules. In short, the models and background are intense, incredibly detailed, and immersive . . . but the rules are just . . . not. It just feels off. Forget whether you actually LIKE the rules, because honestly if you are OK with simple rules, it wouldn't take many tweaks to make these ones decent. Anyway, it's not about the quality of the rules, they're just so simplistic as compared to the models / fluff. There's nothing to "sink yourself into."

Anyway, I could keep on explaining but I think the point is made, whether or not anyone agrees, I dunno. Anyway, one more recap just for my own sake.

Rules - . . . simplistic, corny, uninvolved . . .

Obviously, a lot of this is subjective. Perhaps some folks find the new rules incredibly engaging and all, but I just don't see it.

Thoughts on this perspective?

Agreed on your first two points. In terms of your third point I think a lot of the complexity is going to come through the various interactions of the actual unit war scrolls which also bring out the character of the models (I feel) - I like that my Hammerers now have gromril hammers rather than just Great Weapons. I also think scenario play will add a lot more depth and decision making. I think the do a little dance rules are daft, and I intend to ignore them. I think players need to agree limits or processes around set up absent specific scenario directions.

On t'other hand if you like everything but the rules... replace the rules? Open Combat is a build your own model stats game and should be out in the next month or so. 8th Edition still exists and if someone puts together an Army Book for the Stormcast you can also play in the new setting.