PDA

View Full Version : I know you can rank up in AoS, but is there a reason to?

acrimonger
08-07-2015, 07:04
I guess you could limit how many models get engaged, perhaps?

I know weapons have ranges, so spears could strike from deeper ranks?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Ayin
08-07-2015, 09:03
Ease of movement for large units.

That's really about it.

Bede19025
08-07-2015, 14:59
There's a reason to be in two ranks (to fit as many models in contact with the enemy) but I don't see the need for any more than that. Models in a third rank can't reach. By contrast, if you're wider than your enemy you'll be able to get more models in contact by envelopping his flanks. Of course, that means he has more models in contact too, so it will depend on the situation.

fishound7
08-07-2015, 17:01
Some units have a longer reach then others. So a Spear unit can actually have 3 ranks and can attack depending on model size. There are All kinds of formations that can be made. Currently a tactic I am using is place a high save unit (4+) infantry upfront in a single horizontal conga line or maybe a 2nd rank Behind them I tthen place a unit of spearmen behind the anvil (4+) unit Spearmen unit has the Reach to attack since the spears range is 2 inches.

I usually have 3+ wizards and stack mystic shielding on the front unit. Front unit with 3 mystic shields on it has a 1+save which is invulnerable to damage if you don't have rend or mortal wounds. Its a reactive defensive formation.

You can also play around with different formations. I like the wedge formation as a defensive formation against horizontal conga lining.

Bede19025
08-07-2015, 17:04
Some units have a longer reach then others. So a Spear unit can actually have 3 ranks and can attack depending on model size. There are All kinds of formations that can be made. Currently a tactic I am using is place a high save unit (4+) infantry upfront in a single horizontal conga line or maybe a 2nd rank Behind them I tthen place a unit of spearmen behind the anvil (4+) unit Spearmen unit has the Reach to attack since the spears range is 2 inches.

I usually have 3+ wizards and stack mystic shielding on the front unit. Front unit with 3 mystic shields on it has a 1+save which is invulnerable to damage if you don't have rend or mortal wounds. Its a reactive defensive formation.

You can also play around with different formations. I like the wedge formation as a defensive formation against horizontal conga lining.

What are you talking about? Don't you know that AoS doesn't involve any strategy or tactics? :0

Ayin
08-07-2015, 19:52

So no, there is no reason besides ease of movement to limit your units to being deployed and moved in the set positioning of movement trays, and in fact, there may be significant advantage to having your unit's in a cloud where they are able to change their shape to adjust to in-game events.

acrimonger
08-07-2015, 20:35
Well, reading around I found this post:

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=165&t=76924&sid=7d9f4c3fafa4beadd4d490f9f42eef9c

He includes various diagrams and talks about formations. Only play will bear this out, but this is the kinda thing I was looking for.

fishound7
08-07-2015, 23:19
A very common mistake is people are placing thier models down as 8th ed skirmish rules 1.5 inches apart which is not the case. You more are like snaking the units around with the bases touching since its model to model and not base to base.

A block formation could be used as a defensive formation maybe with a character in the middle. But I think Wedge or spearhead formation is a better defensive counter-charge to horizontal conga line formation then block with optional character inside the wedge.

Kisanis
09-07-2015, 03:58
I think real world ranking systems may be effective in AoS.
You can form a tight rank when you need to (either as a screen, or to maximize attacks) but you can then adapt and swarm, then regroup as needed.

I'm thinking of ways I can use my 2 skaven blobs (1 spears, 1 handweapons+shield) in combination with things like weapon teams or globadiers. Hold tight to keep the screen up, but when I am able to, break things up to allow a handful of shots into the combat.

When combat is done, go back to holding my ranks (or at least a tighter formation). I may not use traditional ranks, but there will be reasons to go for a tight vs. loose formation and squares, vs columns, vs hollow square, vs wedges, crescent moons, shieldwalls, etc...

If you want to play AoS and enjoy it, you have to have a complete paradigm shift in your thinking - More like 40k and less like traditional fantasy.

cptcosmic
09-07-2015, 08:53
well, not really ranking up, but if you pile as many models as possible into one spot and your weapons have enough reach then more models are ablet to attack.

but honestly, I would prefer to determine how many could potentially attack with a just 3 models and apply the rule on the whole unit which is nicely ranked up and sitting in a movement tray. it is more convenient AND looks better on the table.

Malkier1984
09-07-2015, 10:44
Currently a tactic I am using is place a high save unit (4+) infantry upfront in a single horizontal conga line or maybe a 2nd rank Behind them I tthen place a unit of spearmen behind the anvil (4+) unit Spearmen unit has the Reach to attack since the spears range is 2 inches.

I keep reading this a lot, and it doesn't work, for the following reason. During movement you may not move within 3" of an enemy, the only way to get closer is to charge and one model from the charging unit must end their move within 1/2" of an enemy. So, your 2 units both have to charge, and get 1 model each within 1/2" of an enemy, then you pile in when you choose to attack with that unit, so the enemy when they activate, can just choose to hit the squishier spearmen instead of your super buffed tanks.

It does work as a defensive formation if the enemy charge you, as then they have charged unit 1 (tanks) and your spears are within 3" already so can be selected to fight (if they are within spear range, but get to pile in 3" anyway)

fishound7
10-07-2015, 08:58
Your correct. I've been playing TK and i use the layered formation as I'm playing more defensively. I also play beastmen at least in 8th but trying out AoS with them as well and that layered formation isn't working. But the stacking of mystic shields do work but what I'm finding is that, that 4+ save unit just isn't targeted and other units are targeted for shooting. So as an offensive force its probably best to spread out your mystic shields. In addition something i'm finding out is that your units block LoS to your opponent So he can't shoot at them unless he is on a hill or somthing like that. BUT your units block AoS for your characters as well. Even though shooting can be done while in combat. They can not see past the unit it is in combat with since it is blocking LoS. Just an interesting observation.

Mateobard
10-07-2015, 15:46
Your correct. I've been playing TK and i use the layered formation as I'm playing more defensively. I also play beastmen at least in 8th but trying out AoS with them as well and that layered formation isn't working. But the stacking of mystic shields do work but what I'm finding is that, that 4+ save unit just isn't targeted and other units are targeted for shooting. So as an offensive force its probably best to spread out your mystic shields. In addition something i'm finding out is that your units block LoS to your opponent So he can't shoot at them unless he is on a hill or somthing like that. BUT your units block AoS for your characters as well. Even though shooting can be done while in combat. They can not see past the unit it is in combat with since it is blocking LoS. Just an interesting observation.

That's not really true. If you see any part of the model, you can shoot at the unit. One of the problematic rules with the game is that a spear point can take a salvo of enemy fire and pass it on to the enemy.

fishound7
10-07-2015, 16:49
If you want to play it like that sure. But it seems implied that I am right under pick your target section of rules. BUT if we purely go RAW and nit pick your correct.

Mateobard
10-07-2015, 17:04
If you want to play it like that sure. But it seems implied that I am right under pick your target section of rules. BUT if we purely go RAW and nit pick your correct.

Life you don't go as written, you're just making up rules at that point. The rules are designed to shoot even the tippy top of a models axe for a reason.

Bede19025
10-07-2015, 19:33
All the rules say is that the enemy model that is the target must be visible to the attacker.

I think it's contrary to the spririt of the rules to allow a unit to shoot at a spear tip of an enemy model.

Why didn't they make it more specific you ask? Because they wanted to keep the length short and figured that this sort of thing doesn't need to be spelled out but is instead a matter of common sense and good sportsmanship.