PDA

View Full Version : Starter set miniature selection: Age of Sigmar versus Dark Vengeance

Griefbringer
08-07-2015, 13:07
Having seen pictures and listing of the content of the new Age of Sigmar starter boxed set, I cannot help thinking that the miniature forces provided in both sets seem to share a very similar thematic set-up. This is particularly obvious with the chaos force, but there is quite a bit of similarity also between the marines and Stormcast Eternals (aka Sigmarines).

Chaos sides in the two sets consist of the following:
- 3/2 Characters (AoS: Mighty Lord of Khorne, Bloodsecrator, Bloodstroker; DV: Chaos lord, Aspiring champion)
- 1 Huge walking monster (AoS: Khorgorath; DV: Helbrute)
- 5/6 Elite warriors (AoS: Blood warriors; DV: Chosen)
- 20 Lowly grunts (AoS: Bloodreavers; DV: Cultists)

In total 29 models in both cases, and the lowly grunts in both cases seem to be designed to be split into two units of ten. The main difference is that DV set contains one less character and one extra chosen instead (though considering how the chosen models look, one of them could be easily used as a character instead).

Marines (Dark Angels) and Stormcast Eternals (Sigmarines) consist of the following:
- 2 Characters (AoS: Lord-Celestant, Lord-Relictor; DV: Company master, Librarian)
- 10 Regular dudes (AoS: Liberators; DV: Tactical marines)
- 3 Fast dudes (AoS: Prosecutors; DV: Ravenwing bikes)
- 3/5 Big dudes (AoS: Retributors; DV: Deathwing terminators)

In total 18 (AoS) or 20 (DV) models. The lower model count in AoS is probably compensated by one of the characters riding a big monstrous beast of some sorts. Regular dudes in both cases might be able to form two units of five. Fast dudes have different form of transport: Ravenwing bikers ride bikes decorate with feather wings, while AoS version actually has wings on their back and presumably uses those to fly around.

So as you can see, both sides tend to get model selections that seem to be based on very similar concepts. Granted, the models themselves have differences in equipment that match the settings: AoS figures have almost all melee weapons, while DV models feature a variety of ranged weapons. AoS Bloodreavers bring standards and horns to the battlefield, while DV cultists and tactical marines have special and heavy weapons.

Both sets contain a rulebook and bunch of dice. AoS comes also with two range rulers and two transfer sheets. Neither set seems to contain any sort of terrain. AoS box is currently prices at 75 on GW website, while DV box is priced at 65.

Tyberos
08-07-2015, 14:40
I think you're looking too much into the model selection, I don't really see any correlation between the models chosen, other than the model count is roughly similar. The one thing I do see, which has already been noticed in Games Workshop's other starter sets since Dark Vengeance, is the price has increased by 10.

Games Workshop come across as trying things to get new players into the hobby, as we did see three seperate starter set releases last year (Stormclaw, Deathstorm, and the re-release of Dark Vengeance). I can't help but feel increasing the price of the starter sets is a good idea when you're already struggling to attract new players.

TheFang
08-07-2015, 22:13
Dark Vengeance 10 cheaper but includes a full set of rules is the real killer.

Miniatures wise using a similar mix probably makes the sprue decisions a little easier. Not seen an AoS sprue yet but do they have a similar layout to the DV ones?

Griefbringer
09-07-2015, 15:14
Not seen an AoS sprue yet but do they have a similar layout to the DV ones?

I don't think that many people have seen AoS sprues yet. The box is not yet out officially, and GW does not show sprue pictures on their website for the AoS box.

lbecks
09-07-2015, 16:33
When I first saw the starter it did remind me of Dark Vengeance. I'm not sure about playing the game but I agree that thematically the choices are similar.

spaint2k
10-07-2015, 09:46
I don't think that many people have seen AoS sprues yet. The box is not yet out officially, and GW does not show sprue pictures on their website for the AoS box.

http://taleofpainters.blogspot.de/2015/07/review-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-starter.html

The miniatures are very nice and I'm looking forward to adding the Chaos stuff to my khorne collection.

SuperHappyTime
13-07-2015, 02:32
Dark Vengeance 10 cheaper but includes a full set of rules is the real killer.

Four Page Rules Bro!

Griefbringer
13-07-2015, 08:54
Thanks for the link to sprue pics, spaint2k.

So that seems to be 4 different sprues in the set, with one of them included in duplicate.

Lucifer216
13-07-2015, 21:36
Is anyone in a position to compare the AoS and Dark Vengeance sprues? I wonder if the big bad monster-thing is laid out similar to the Helbrute? It could well be that they might have stripped back the DV sprues to an early starting point as they were CAD designed and then used those as the basis for the AoS sprues.

Autumn Leaves
13-07-2015, 22:14
It all looks 40K to me on the miniatures front.
Where does the fantasy start?

Griefbringer
13-07-2015, 22:22
Is anyone in a position to compare the AoS and Dark Vengeance sprues?

Link to AoS sprue pics was posted earlier on, and I found this review with excellent pictures of the DV sprues:

http://bigorbitgames.co.uk/warhammer-40000-dark-vengeance-review/

If I am counting correctly, AoS actually required one extra sprue for the miniatures, with DV having three different sprues (one included in duplicate) and AoS having four different sprues (again one included in duplicate).

Griefbringer
19-07-2015, 08:27
Regarding the big monster dude issue, this thread on 40K section shows a side-by-side comparison between the DV Helbrute and AoS Khorgorath (notice the similarities):

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?411664-Uses-for-Khorgorath-in-40k

The same thread also has a lively discussion on how to use the Khorgorath model in games of 40K.