PDA

View Full Version : AoS: LoS and attacking backwards

the_picto
08-07-2015, 15:53
Line of sight is not a well defined rule in AoS, the one place it is defined says to get behind the model and see if they can see the target. This suggests that models generally have LoS forwards to some unspecified degree.

1. Models need to see their target to attack in melee.
2. Models only have LoS forwards.
3. Models within 3" of an enemy may only retreat, pile in or remain stationary (no pivoting).

Ok, so here is my question, if a model is charged in the rear can it attack backwards or can it at least use the pile in move to pivot on the spot?

Bloodknight
08-07-2015, 16:06
After looking at the rules again, my assumption is that facing is, as in 40K, completely irrelevant as long as the unit type doesn't specify that it is. At the moment, there is no model with a restricted field of vision in AoS that I could find.

SteveW
08-07-2015, 17:00
I don't see anywhere in the rules that says models have a rear, flank, or line of sight that ends anywhere.

the_picto
08-07-2015, 21:58
I don't see anywhere in the rules that says models have a rear, flank, or line of sight that ends anywhere.

We are told in several places that LoS is required; and the only place we are told how to determine LoS says to get behind the model to see what they can see. The implication being that a model sees what is in front of them.

the_picto
08-07-2015, 21:58
Double post

Bloodknight
08-07-2015, 23:32
The more I think about it, the more I believe that that would be a good thing, if models in close combat couldn't fight back when attacked from behind. Movement tactics!

3eland
08-07-2015, 23:35
LoS says the same thing in 40k and in 40k, unless you have a facing (example a vehicle) you have 360 degree LoS.

From the 40k rulebook:

This means getting down to the level of your warriors and taking in the battlefield from their perspective to ‘see what they can see’.

forseer of fates
09-07-2015, 02:02
Its all very badly worded, when you have a round base, you never gonna win an argument that you don't get a 360, unit do block line of sight...

acrimonger
09-07-2015, 16:05
Its all very badly worded, when you have a round base, you never gonna win an argument that you don't get a 360, unit do block line of sight...

This doesnt follow. Necromunda has round bases with facing.

Everything blocks line of sight except for other models in the same unit. I don't like facing really matters in a game like this - people are finding plenty of gameplay tactics around movement and combat without additional complexity.

SteveW
09-07-2015, 16:09
This doesnt follow. Necromunda has round bases with facing.

Every non-GW game with round bases has facings as well. This game however has no facings, people try and make the rules say what they just don't say.

How can one "get behind" a model when it has no rear defined by the rules?

Sloordrigg
10-07-2015, 13:21
Every non-GW game with round bases has facings as well. This game however has no facings, people try and make the rules say what they just don't say.

How can one "get behind" a model when it has no rear defined by the rules?

The point is YOUR facing, not the model's. If you get in front of the model, then the model is behind you. In which case you can't see the model and thus can't see what the model might or might not be looking at. English can be hard sometimes - and with that I mean it's the rules writers who seem to have trouble wording things concisely :D

Magot
10-07-2015, 21:45
My hero can swing his blade with ease behind his back and shop of his foo's head without a blink of his eye :-)

o.k. seriously now, as said above it works like 40K and even the first LotR. Round bases are a 360 degree view, and indeed from your eye's and your point of view.

I think the argument that your model must see the foo before he may charge has more to do with scenery.
You can't see through a huge block of thick stone or a massive closed wall, unless you have a LGPB (laser guided parallelum binoculairs), but without these, you can't see the foo and you can't charge him

SanDiegoSurrealist
11-07-2015, 07:26
think the line of sight they are they are refering to is see if the modeeel can see over/around intervening terrain.