PDA

View Full Version : AoS - Old armies aren't meant to be played

Warnoober
08-07-2015, 19:33
As I've read over and over the warscrolls for the old armies is obvious to me that they aren't meant to be played with the new system. They straight up aren't balanced for the new rules.

Good example is why would you ever NOT take Kemmler over a regular Necromancer? Lack of model aside. Or Von Carstein over a normal Vamp Lord?

And skeletons seem really good especially with the proper back up.

And lets not forget Summoning.

The old stuff in just shoehorned in to appeal the old crew

Which sadly adds another whole layer for army building for the old crew. And possibly excluded from tournys.

Most of the complaints Ive seen have to do with how unbalanced the old armies are in the new system

I think the new armies will be balanced internally and with each other. And once more of the new stuff has been revealed people with the old stuff will either be expected to or just want to use their old figures as the new. IE a Chaos Warrior is used as a Blood Warrior. Or Mauraders as Bloodreavers.

Kyriakin
08-07-2015, 19:41
I have been thinking this for a few days now. There are two armies in Age of Sigmar so far: Stormthingy Eternals and Khorne.

The old armies are just so GW can say, "well you can still use your existing minatures" and trolls can say "you whiners said old models were to be invalidated, but they weren't".

I suspect the actual game will be fine in terms of balance. However, no idea how they will solve the "rugby scrum" issue though..

Tae
08-07-2015, 19:44
Good example is why would you ever NOT take Kemmler over a regular Necromancer?

And skeletons seem really good especially with the proper back up.

You kind of answered your own question there. Necromancers are far and away better than Kemmler when considering supporting units. A massed unit of zombies hitting/wounding on 3+s twice in a turn and then every casualty results in a new zombie on a 6+ is vastly superior to regaining wounds on 1 wound models.

But yes, I do agree with the underlying premise, if not this exact example.

HammerofThunor
08-07-2015, 19:44
You can play the current game by just marching the lines up to each and rolling dice. You don't do that because there are things you can do to gain advantage. I have no doubt the same will happen with this.

mbh1127
09-07-2015, 00:40
obviously they will try to work the old stuff out. They want to sell we armies.

Kahadras
09-07-2015, 01:09
As I've read over and over the warscrolls for the old armies is obvious to me that they aren't meant to be played with the new system. They straight up aren't balanced for the new rules.

Well yeah.

GW doesn't want people using their old models. They want people spending hundreds of pounds on the new Sigmarines. I think a GW rep was talking about how the new AoS armies are going to be 'serious' and that the 'wacky' rules for the old armies are just a 'last hurrah' for them before they are consigned to the scrap heap. Reading between the lines the developers rushed a quick bodge job out fully of unbalanced, stupid rules to throw at a group of it's players that it's no longer really interested in (i.e people who already have large, pre-AoS armies). They don't want Bob who already has two or three large, well painted fantasy armies who will get the rules for free. They want little Timmy who will throw several hundred pounds at buying a brand new army along with carry cases, paints, glues, brushes, terrain, dice cups, tape measures etc.

scruffyryan
09-07-2015, 01:14
Yknow, assuming little timmy exists in any large scale is on the level of writes angry letters to the editor of the local newspaper delusional.

GrandmasterWang
09-07-2015, 04:10
With no limitations on army selection... nothing is either balanced or unbalanced in AOS...

GW releasing for free pages upon pages of Warscrolls for the 8th armies make it obvious that they ARE meant to olayed with the new system

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Philhelm
09-07-2015, 04:32
I'm also of the opinion that the old factions will be phased out, but the entire launch of Age of Sigmar seems like it will be lackluster. The most recent leaked photographs I have seen are of a Stormcast hero on foot and Liberators with additional weapon options. I am interested in seeing the models they will release, but I don't want to wait for a couple years to see what all of the races will look like. I get that Games Workshop wanted to kick the game up with their new faction, and that given the End Times events, Chaos was the most logical opponent; however, if they are looking to create a new game, they should really release models for several factions immediately. Not everyone wants to purchase Chaos and Sigmarite Golems.

Nightfall Shimmer
09-07-2015, 09:53
I don't think the 8th ed legacy warscrolls where 'knocked up in 5 minutes' though. I don't think they were playtested yeah, but thats because almost everything there has been canned/binned/squatted/etc. Why bother, when it's going to be phased out over the next year or so. If not the next three months! They just went through everything and tried to give them reasonably fluffy rules. They are simply there so we can play with our older miniatures while they roll out the new stuff.

Hmm. 2 weeks for a Army Core rollout? 1st out are obviously Stormcast, then no doubt Khorne and following on from there, till October when they start mixing 40K releases back in. Obviously some armies might be able to only need a week release thanks to the End Times...those might be held back till 40K releases come back though.

Assuming they have resculpted the core for each race their continuing on with in their new look already.

heavyheart
09-07-2015, 11:41
I think the scrolls are designed to shame older players for using old models, it's completely wrong headed.