PDA

View Full Version : AoS.... I have been having a lot of fun with it...

flail3
08-07-2015, 21:49
Ok, shoot me down in flames but please hear me out. I have been playing age of sigmar since it started on saturday and have since had a fair amount of games with it. After a while we decided we are grateful to gw, they have kept all our models usable, injected the old school sillyness into it and given us a fantastic FRAMEWORK of which to play with. For I do see this as a framework. Within this framework we worked with these following rules that our local gw store and local gaming centre have adopted. For competitive play we use these (player agreed of course) rules based around some floating around:
1-12 warscrolls
1-2 hero warscrolls
0-2 monster warscrolls

No single unit may have more than 20 wounds, UNLESS it has a specific rule that states it gains benefits in having certain amounts of models. In which case it may have up to 10 wounds over the highest number of models the rules state (eg wood elves in a unit of 20 gain better to hit rolls, so in total you can take 30).

No unit may have duplicates more than once (so two of each unit) unless the model is wholly comprised of models with a single wound.

Heroes may not be duplicated, neither may named characters (nor may more than one incarnation of a model be taken eg mortarch manfred and count manfred)

Games last 6 turns.

Rule address:
A lot of people told me that they feel summoning is over powered, well I say it isn't on the basis on how victory is achieved. Models summoned count toward how many models you lose, but not how many you have on the board. So if you had for instance nagash as your army, hoping to win via sudden death, and those 50 models died, you need to kill 50 models before you even break even. Summoning is balanced in that way, so long as the victory conditions aren't just wipe an enemy out and there is a time limit.

I know to many of you this wont "fix" the game, but its made for some VERY good games.

Tae
08-07-2015, 22:25
Ok, shoot me down in flames but please hear me out. I have been playing age of sigmar since it started on saturday and have since had a fair amount of games with it. After a while we decided we are grateful to gw, they have kept all our models usable, injected the old school sillyness into it and given us a fantastic FRAMEWORK of which to play with. For I do see this as a framework. Within this framework we worked with these following rules that our local gw store and local gaming centre have adopted. For competitive play we use these (player agreed of course) rules based around some floating around:
1-12 warscrolls
1-2 hero warscrolls
0-2 monster warscrolls

No single unit may have more than 20 wounds, UNLESS it has a specific rule that states it gains benefits in having certain amounts of models. In which case it may have up to 10 wounds over the highest number of models the rules state (eg wood elves in a unit of 20 gain better to hit rolls, so in total you can take 30).

No unit may have duplicates more than once (so two of each unit) unless the model is wholly comprised of models with a single wound.

Heroes may not be duplicated, neither may named characters (nor may more than one incarnation of a model be taken eg mortarch manfred and count manfred)

Games last 6 turns.

Rule address:
A lot of people told me that they feel summoning is over powered, well I say it isn't on the basis on how victory is achieved. Models summoned count toward how many models you lose, but not how many you have on the board. So if you had for instance nagash as your army, hoping to win via sudden death, and those 50 models died, you need to kill 50 models before you even break even. Summoning is balanced in that way, so long as the victory conditions aren't just wipe an enemy out and there is a time limit.

I know to many of you this wont "fix" the game, but its made for some VERY good games.

Unfortunately sudden death victory results in a major victory so there's no need to compare models lost - you've already won.

And summoning is imbalanced as you can just keep summoning more and more stuff until you get enough stuff to just wipe them out, at which point - again - you claim a major victory.

I'm also writing my own set of house rules to use, so appreciate the difficulty with it but you do need to do something with summoning - my recommendation is a limit of 1 summoned unit per turn (or something similar).

flail3
08-07-2015, 22:34
Unfortunately sudden death victory results in a major victory so there's no need to compare models lost - you've already won.

And summoning is imbalanced as you can just keep summoning more and more stuff until you get enough stuff to just wipe them out, at which point - again - you claim a major victory.

I'm also writing my own set of house rules to use, so appreciate the difficulty with it but you do need to do something with summoning - my recommendation is a limit of 1 summoned unit per turn (or something similar).

oops forgot to mention i put that rule in place too!! and a summoned unit cannot summon another unit.

Bede19025
08-07-2015, 22:58
What about shooting? It seems almost impossible to hide from it and you can't tie a unit up in a fight to prevent it from shooting. Has your experience lead you to think it's too powerful?

flail3
08-07-2015, 23:12
personally no (and im facing wood elves with skaven!!!) i also found in the rules it specifically mentions that FRIENDLY models dont block line of sight, but that means if its being that specific if you put a hero behind another unit its pretty hidden unless its a monster where it can be shot normally. And we use the rule that is self explanatory that local store always says: line of sight to a model is as if the model were standing on the ground as a raised model is an unfair disadvantage. So spellweavers are to be on ground, same size as my glade guard therefore hidden behind them but able to shoot through them.

Bede19025
09-07-2015, 13:42
personally no (and im facing wood elves with skaven!!!) i also found in the rules it specifically mentions that FRIENDLY models dont block line of sight, .

That's not entirely correct. What it says is that friendly models in the same unit don't block LOS. I think friendly models in a different unit would block LOS.

acrimonger
09-07-2015, 16:06
That's not entirely correct. What it says is that friendly models in the same unit don't block LOS. I think friendly models in a different unit would block LOS.

I believe this is the case.