PDA

View Full Version : How many models can't maintain coherency because of their bases in AOS?

Buddy Bear
09-07-2015, 06:01
I was reading the rules and I noticed that my Demigryph Knights, if placed side by side, can barely maintain coherency even if placed based-to-base because of the size of their bases. They end up slightly more than 1" apart. They're close enough that most would just let it slide, but if someone really wanted to be a stickler for the rules, then I'd have to have the bases overlap in order for them to maintain 1" coherency with each other while running next to each other in an Age of Sigmar game. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed that issue with their models, and what those models are.

Griefbringer
09-07-2015, 15:05
Maybe you could deploy the demigryphs into a single column, so that there would be less than 1" from a tail to the beak of the following demigryph.

Alternatively, repose the weapon arms so that some part of the weapon comes suitably close to the rider on their right.

Or convert their helmets to feature huge horns that extend sufficiently far in both directions, and call them "The demigryph knights who say Ni!". Alternatively, winged helmets might also work.

Spiney Norman
09-07-2015, 15:59
I'm not sure but one of my Ripperdactyls finds it pretty impossible to ever be in range to actually Attack an infantry model due to the length of his flying stem :D so far all the games we've played have measure ranges to and from the edge of bases rather than actual models themselves, that seems to us to be the only sensible way to play the game.

Col. Tartleton
09-07-2015, 17:30
In 40k you have 2" between bases for coherency. I'd probably just use that instead.

Renfield286
09-07-2015, 18:29
Any scenery elements on the base are part of the figure, rather than the base, the base is literally the bit of plastic that makes them stand up right. Solves most of these rules lawyer type problems

acrimonger
09-07-2015, 18:35
Models fight in units. A unit can have one or more models, but cannot include models that use different warscrolls. A unit must be set up and finish any sort of move as a single group of models, with all models within 1" of at least one other model from their unit.

Distances in Warhammer: Age of Sigmar are measured in inches ("), between the closest points of the models or units you’re measuring to and from. You can measure distances whenever you wish. A model’s base isn’t considered part of the model – it’s just there to help the model stand up ...

These are the rules, relevant part bolded.

Can you do 1" from the wingtips? Im not intimately familiar with the models you guys are talking about.

Griefbringer
09-07-2015, 20:07
Can you do 1" from the wingtips? Im not intimately familiar with the models you guys are talking about.

At least for demigryphs measuring from wingtips is not an option, since they do not have any wings.

However, since the demigryph riders have lances, on option would be to give them very long streaming pennants (made of paper) flying from the lance tips. With a little bit of work, these would hopefully be able to reach close enough to the rider next to them. However, such long pennants might be liable to damage and might need to be replaced occasionally, so do not make them too fancy.

(I think I will try to stick to games where measurement is from bases, so I do not need to worry about issues like this.)

acrimonger
09-07-2015, 21:30
Oh yeah I see.

This is quite stupid in the rules. One of the things that seems to be commonplace and is really stupid is the cavalry advancing sideways in a long congo line.

acrimonger
09-07-2015, 21:40
Oh yeah I see.

This is quite stupid in the rules. One of the things that seems to be commonplace and is really stupid is the cavalry advancing sideways in a long congo line.
And seems to be necessary in cases!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Bede19025
09-07-2015, 22:00
Maybe you could deploy the demigryphs into a single column, so that there would be less than 1" from a tail to the beak of the following demigryph.

Alternatively, repose the weapon arms so that some part of the weapon comes suitably close to the rider on their right.

Or convert their helmets to feature huge horns that extend sufficiently far in both directions, and call them "The demigryph knights who say Ni!". Alternatively, winged helmets might also work.

Or just play with someone who isn't so anal as to complain about a fraction of an inch.

Sir_Turalyon
10-07-2015, 00:22
1. Model some additions that extend to left and right of the model (holstered weapons? small standards? wings? sandwitch bags) to make models reach towards their neighbours.

2. By the wording given by acrimonger, it's sufficient if models in oyour units are paired, each model in 1" from the one he's paired with, and pairs spread apart from each other?

Inquisitor Kallus
10-07-2015, 00:28
Or just play with someone who isn't so anal as to complain about a fraction of an inch.

You sir speak the truth!

"Who is this man, so wise in the ways of physics?"

"His name is Arthu...err ...Bede!

Griefbringer
10-07-2015, 08:36
2. By the wording given by acrimonger, it's sufficient if models in oyour units are paired, each model in 1" from the one he's paired with, and pairs spread apart from each other?

That is an interesting observation. There may have been an intention for the models to form a continuous line, where model A is within 1" from model B while model B is within 1" of model C etc. However, by RAW this might not be required.

Cheeslord
10-07-2015, 10:34

I think he went to paint to highlight in bright yellow the words "Single Group". I do not think paired off units would be reasobly interpreted as a single group. They would be multiple groups. You can't expect them to define concepts such as "single group" in massive detail when trying to fit the rules into 4 pages.

Mark.

Sir_Turalyon
10-07-2015, 14:21
I think he went to paint to highlight in bright yellow the words "Single Group". I do not think paired off units would be reasobly interpreted as a single group. They would be multiple groups. You can't expect them to define concepts such as "single group" in massive detail when trying to fit the rules into 4 pages.

Mark.

I'm aware of that, but RAW is also what requires models to be closer than physically possible. I'm not talking of spreading the unit all over the table, just arranging them in base contact, so that pairs of them are always in 1". Want RAW? These two guys holding hands are in 1", so are these two, and these two... Want common sense? All these guys in base contact are obviously a single group.