PDA

View Full Version : Solution for Giving Some Protection for Heros from Shooting

Bede19025
09-07-2015, 13:36
This wasn't my idea, but I thought I'd share it with others.

Heros can't "join" units like they used to in WFB.

But there is nothing in the rules saying that you can't place your hero in the middle of another unit surrounded by the other unit's models, thus blocking LOS to the Hero.

The only restriction in the rules is that models from the same unit have to stay within 1" of each other. A Hero is a unit of one model, so it's not a problem.

Now this won't work for a Demon Prince I guess, but for "man sized" Heros I think it should do the trick.

What do you think?

Avian
09-07-2015, 13:51
Have you actually tried this? In my experience, since you only need to see a tiny portion of the target to shoot it, it's essentially impossible to hide models that way, especially ones with heroic poses. No penalty for moving and shooting only makes it worse.

thesoundofmusica
09-07-2015, 14:25
Shooting is generally short ranged, keep heroes out or range. Use line of sight, blocking models or hide behind pieces of scenery. Besides heroes mostly have good stats and your opponent is looking to kill as many models as possible or going for an objective.... it's just not always worth it shooting at heroes. It's not a huge deal if heroes die anyways.

Bede19025
09-07-2015, 14:25
Have you actually tried this? In my experience, since you only need to see a tiny portion of the target to shoot it, it's essentially impossible to hide models that way, especially ones with heroic poses. No penalty for moving and shooting only makes it worse.

I guess this raises the issue of LOS. The rules don't give much guidance. They simply say the target must be "visible to the attacker."

If you read this literally, then one can certainly claim that the feather on the model's helmet that is visible is part of the target and therefore a valid shot.

But I really wonder whether that's in the spirit of the rules.

Bede19025
09-07-2015, 14:27
Shooting is generally short ranged, keep heroes out or range. Use line of sight, blocking models or hide behind pieces of scenery. Besides heroes mostly have good stats and your opponent is looking to kill as many models as possible or going for an objective.... it's just not always worth it shooting at heroes. It's not a huge deal if heroes die anyways.

But the Heros often have abilities that buff the other units. So it's not just the Hero's fighting power you lose. It's also his/her/its enhancement of your other units that is lost.

thesoundofmusica
09-07-2015, 14:54
But the Heros often have abilities that buff the other units. So it's not just the Hero's fighting power you lose. It's also his/her/its enhancement of your other units that is lost.

That is true. I was just pointing out that not all is lost when a hero dies. Think positive, the shooting spent could have instead killed 10+ lesser models and net your opponent some nice points =P

Taker of skulls
13-07-2015, 10:34
That is true. I was just pointing out that not all is lost when a hero dies. Think positive, the shooting spent could have instead killed 10+ lesser models and net your opponent some nice points =P

Unless your opponent has the Sudden Death perk and a bolt thrower.

This happened to my high elf prince on foot, i had slightly more models than he did so he got Assasinate.

He put a bolt though 2 units and a wood into my hero and killed him. Totaly legit as he could partialy see him as there was next to no realy concealing cover on the board.

Won the game.

I do think its abit overpowered, though i can do it to with my bolt thrower, so....

Bede19025
13-07-2015, 13:38
Unless your opponent has the Sudden Death perk and a bolt thrower.

This happened to my high elf prince on foot, i had slightly more models than he did so he got Assasinate.

He put a bolt though 2 units and a wood into my hero and killed him. Totaly legit as he could partialy see him as there was next to no realy concealing cover on the board.

Won the game.

I do think its abit overpowered, though i can do it to with my bolt thrower, so....

What do you mean "slightly" more models? Don't you have to be outnumbered by at least 1/3 to get sudden death?