PDA

View Full Version : Morning stars

Kjell
09-07-2015, 16:18
I was looking through the 6th edition book for some weapon rules and came upon the listing for morning stars, which are one-handed weapons that grant +1 strength in the first round of combat.

What units actually had access to these? Not just in 6th edition, any edition.

3eland
09-07-2015, 16:27
Brets can take them

Ayin
09-07-2015, 16:32
Similar to the Devastating Charge rule in the 8th edition rulebook, it was a universal option that rarely saw use.

Off the top of my head, several armies in Ravening Hordes had access to these, most because models carrying those weapons existed, specifically Bret's, but upon release those became hand weapons (which is honestly all they should have been originally) in the same way that so many new Skaven carry morning stars or other one handed flails and count them as generic weapons.

Tomb Kings I'm fairly certain carried over a magic weapon that WAS a morning star and kept the morning star rules, but I'm fairly certain the rules were self contained in that item.

In the end of 6th, about the only army that still used the Morning Star was Dogs of War, simply because, although it had a twice expanded army list, it was still a Ravening Hordes based list and thus characters had that choice available to them. That being said, I used a Morning Star on my Dogs of War Paymaster (armies BSB) all through 6th and 7th, only switching it out in 8th when the universal Magic Items list was expanded (a huge boon to non-current edition armies).

Denny
09-07-2015, 16:32
I'm pretty sure Bretonnia did; they certainly had a magical item that was a morning star, and there was a champion model with one.

http://ahzzz.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=81_177_186_193&products_id=2098&zenid=e6adoed81moo90qs16vmlu6l03

Freak Ona Leash
09-07-2015, 16:35
Pretty sure Marauders might have been able to use them too. Perhaps Marauder Horsemen? It definitely got used at least.

3eland
09-07-2015, 16:39
Pretty sure Marauders might have been able to use them too. Perhaps Marauder Horsemen? It definitely got used at least.

They could take flails, not morning stars. Although they are almost the same in regards to the rules just +1S difference.

Avian
09-07-2015, 16:48
In the Ravening Hordes list, Marauder Horsemen could take morning stars.

Ayin
09-07-2015, 16:48
They could take flails, not morning stars. Although they are almost the same in regards to the rules just +1S difference.

That, and Morning Stars were one handed, which was the big advantage to them.

ColShaw
09-07-2015, 16:55
I'm pretty sure Bretonnia did; they certainly had a magical item that was a morning star, and there was a champion model with one.

http://ahzzz.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=81_177_186_193&products_id=2098&zenid=e6adoed81moo90qs16vmlu6l03

The Morning Star of Fracasse; it was a +2S first-round-of-combat weapon that would also destroy enemy magic weapons. I sometimes used it on my BSB, if I wasn't using a magic banner.

Griefbringer
09-07-2015, 17:57
In the Bretonnian army book, Paladins and Lords have the option to take non-magical morning star for +2/+3 points. Maybe not the greatest choice in practice, since most probably you want to have them charging in the first round of combat (in which case lance is better), but looks good.

I have somewhere an unassembled 5th edition Bretonnian knight with a very nice looking morning star.

Kjell
09-07-2015, 18:26
I had Bretonnians somewhere in the back of my mind actually but I couldn't think of any concrete examples. Morning stars aren't very dramatic weapons but I kind of like them because of that.

TheFang
09-07-2015, 21:47
Morning stars aren't very dramatic weapons

Whirling a spiky metal ball on a chain around your head before clobbering someone? Pretty dramatic if you ask me.

Ramius4
09-07-2015, 22:00
Morning Star of Fracasse is still my favorite Bretonnian magic weapon for a Lord, along with Gromril Great Helm, and the rest of the build changes here and there. He's a challenge monkey for the biggest baddest enemy character you can find. He tanks nearly all damage, and should be destroying whatever magic weapon the enemy might have in the first round of combat.

ColShaw
09-07-2015, 22:18
I always gave my Lord the Birth-Sword of Carcassonne. A cute little weapon; the rerolling of successful armor saves always made my opponents twitch visibly.

Griefbringer
10-07-2015, 11:58
I also spotted that the 6th edition Dogs of War army list allowed mercenary captains and generals to buy morning stars. I cannot think of any DoW model that would have come with one, though.

Considering that morning star can look quite nasty, they could have made an interesting looking option for chaos champions. However, I don't think that chaos characters have had an option for them in a long while - though in the 6th edition they at least had an option for flails.