PDA

View Full Version : Anybody actually considering mass rebasing?

Balerion
10-07-2015, 03:26
I kind of hate myself for even contemplating this... but I'm tempted.

Pros

Appearance: I've always preferred round bases to square, from both an aesthetic and gameplay perspective. If I coulda pressed a button when I started playing 7th edition to make all bases round, I definitely woulda done it.

Lost work: Most of my stuff is unpainted, and about 2/3 don't have any decorative base treatments. I wouldn't be sacrificing a lot of past work in that regard.

Utility: AoS seems to play better with round bases than square ones (ie. constant piling-in)

Future-proofing: If Warhammer doesn't just die out completely, it's likely that round bases will become more and more necessary/standardized with each version.

Cons

Spite: I don't appreciate a company semi-invalidating decades' worth of models. Square bases may be inferior in every way, but it was a commitment that should have been worked around.

Lost work: I spent hours and hours magnetizing 400+ Skaven and filling in the bases with Liquid Plastic. It seems like a huge tragedy to waste all that effort. On the other hand, without metal movement trays the magnets are actually a pain in the ass, because models want to cling to each other.

Future-proofing: If AoS is a huge failure it would be no surprise for GW to eventually rereleae traditional Warhammer like nothing ever happened. If there ever came a point where I needed to rebase back to squares I would probably just set my army on fire and then stick my head in the oven.

--------------------------------------------

I suppose I could go halfway and rebase select parts of my army. War machines, weapon teams, monsters, etc. would all be easy swaps that I could complete en masse in an hour or two. It's the hundreds of infantry that are the daunting part. But at the same time, I doubt I'll ever have 100 Slaves, 50 Clanrats, and 50 Stormvermin on the table in AoS, whereas that was relatively common in WFB. I wouldn't need to rebase everything to amass a useful amount. But that's also kind of condemning huge chunks of the army to irrelevance.

First decision is whether or not to use rounds on the abandoned projects that AoS has kickstarted anew. I have some unfinished Stormfiends to complete, a Skyrye HPA conversion, and various attempts at plastic Jezzails/Plague Monks/Gutter Runners/etc. Do I match their predecessors or just accept the dawn of a new and dumb era?

Anybody else thinking about these things?

EcceNoHomo
10-07-2015, 03:42
Nope. And I am continuing to base my new models on square bases. Prefer the way they look. Like ranked units. And have no interest in AOS.

Coldhatred
10-07-2015, 03:44
Yes, but I only have about 25 Night Goblins right now so it wouldn't be too much of a outlay for me. I like the round bases better. I've never been adverse to re-basing having been in the historical scene during most of 8th Edition.

Darnok
10-07-2015, 03:55
Bases don't matter in AoS, so I don't see why anybody would rip his/her models apart: there is nothing to gain from it. On the contrary, some things actually work out better with square bases (piling in for example).

You can make an argument about models looking better in general on round bases, but that is a matter of taste.

mattl
10-07-2015, 04:04
I decided to make a force of about 20-40 metal dwarf models and put them on 25mm round bases. These are from a mix of Citadel, Marauder, Mantic, Black Tree, Ral Partha and possibly one or two other companies. I'll play AoS with a mix of these and the Sigmarites (and some Mantic metal angels from Kings of War) as a good allied force.

All my plastic GW models will be removed from their square bases, have their slotta tab snipped off and be multibased for Kings of War.

Balerion
10-07-2015, 05:05
Bases don't matter in AoS, so I don't see why anybody would rip his/her models apart: there is nothing to gain from it. On the contrary, some things actually work out better with square bases (piling in for example).

IMO piling in works SO MUCH better with round bases than square.

Sure, if you're lining up *exactly* adjacent to an enemy, the squares will give you ultimate coverage. But most of the time, in a game where you're measuring to the inch, round bases will allow you to pack more models into a space.

You can make an argument about models looking better in general on round bases, but that is a matter of taste.
True enough, if you're playing the rules as written. However, it's looking likely that a large percentage of players will be using some sort of balancing scheme that involves B2B measuring instead of the absurd anti-system GW thought up.

Buddy Bear
10-07-2015, 05:09
When I heard rumors that GW would make movement trays with round base slots, I considered it. The rules are nothing like what I expected (I thought they'd be good!), so no. Even if I intended to play AOS, there's no point to rebasing, while rebasing would prevent me playing 8th.

Kerrahn
10-07-2015, 05:13
I don't think I'll do it for my WoC or Skaven models, but I'm thinking about it for my DoC since I can then use them in 40k as well. The only downside to this is I won't be able to use the DoC in 8th Ed as a stand-alone army or in the Legions of Chaos lists, so if I can figure out a way to magnetise or pin every last models (might be hard with the tiny feet / legs of Bloodletters and Daemonettes, among other models) I think I'll do that instead.

As for future purchases, I'm likely to round base everything I buy that isn't more stuff for my Skaven and WoC (and will still likely round base many of the WoC models anyway to go with the new Chaos models getting released). I'm looking at making a small Khainite army for Dark Elves like I've wanted to do for years, seeing as I could achieve a decent AoS army for a few hundred dollars as opposed to over $1000 for an 8th Ed army ($700AUS in Witch Elves alone for the list I wrote if I didn't use discount retailers or other company models).

1 other pro you could list with round bases as well is much more companies online make round resin bases, or have a larger product range for round bases, as they are used in much more games.

Okuto
10-07-2015, 05:29
I was actually tempted....only cause I foresee new players down the road complaining about my prudishness in not allowing their dirty bases to overlap my nice ones...:D

I near had a heart attack when the guy I was playing the demo game with put that hellbrute thingy base on top of my empire general's scenic base and scrapped off a rock.:mad:

But no, I refuse to rebase my armies. I'm not gonna flock new bases, the newer players are just gonna have to suck it up when I complain about them poking my models with they're on overlapping bases....

Pacman
10-07-2015, 05:32
Really don't see the point. Things like big units of spears work much better if you leave them ranked and in a movement trays, even under AoS rules.

Square bases are better for AoS and allow you to play any other set of rules you like. I've not seen a set of rules that actually require round bases, but plenty do require square.

jet_palero
10-07-2015, 05:32
Not even if they paid me. AoS isn't a game I want to play.

And if someone tried to pile onto my bases Okuto, the game would be over. These miniatures are carefully made hobby items, not toys I bought at walmart.

Okuto
10-07-2015, 05:42
And if someone tried to pile onto my bases Okuto, the game would be over. These miniatures are carefully made hobby items, not toys I bought at walmart.

"oh but it's in tha rulez! models actually have to touch each other so I gotta put my base on top of your's so we can touch";)

Needless to say I was not pleased and the official GW guy's answer didn't do my any favors

I'll have to dust off some old HE frontrank spearmen and see what they say then

Ayin
10-07-2015, 05:46
I seriously considered it, but there's really no advantage to doing so for me or my army.

If I was to start a new army, and of a specific faction, then perhaps. If my plan was a limited number of models (similar in scale to the starter set) then I absolutely woul since it looks great. If my plan was 2000pts of Night Goblins, no, not a chance, not ever. Not because it would be work, but because it would make them significantly harder to use, since they would be spread out farther than normal (from 20mm squares to 40k style 25mm rounds) and would then need larger movement trays and more space to transport.

It's a good idea for some situations, a fine idea for ACTUAL Age of Sigmar armies, a poor idea for most Fantasy armies used in AoS.

Darnok
10-07-2015, 05:48
"oh but it's in tha rulez! models actually have to touch each other so I gotta put my base on top of your's so we can touch";)

The fact that this is even a thing at all is a nightmare for anybody putting even a little bit of effort into basing his/her models. Seriously, every sensible person would houserule this (so measuring to and from bases) - but then: why is it not that way in the first place? It's just so... :wtf:

Okuto
10-07-2015, 06:07
The fact that this is even a thing at all is a nightmare for anybody putting even a little bit of effort into basing his/her models. Seriously, every sensible person would houserule this (so measuring to and from bases) - but then: why is it not that way in the first place? It's just so... :wtf:

ITs just one of many :wtf:

But its one of the many that annoys me, sure when you play with your mates its ok, houserules, but the newbloods that come don't know better, they'd come with their undid bases and put them on top of your's right quick. I will not have my bases getting scrapped and damaged

Frankly I shouldn't have to house rule in the first place, I ought to just be able to put guys on the table and not worry about you shoving spears in their faces or scrapping my bases

Scarella
10-07-2015, 06:40
Was thinking about it, but the amount of work to rebase my skink cloud is just immense... not to mention where do those new oval cav bases come from? They aren't on the GW site to order. So keeping them on Squares since it's easier to get more into combat range it seems with the small 20mm's over round 25mm's.

Nkari
10-07-2015, 06:45
For me the jury is still out as to wether or not I shall continue with the non 40k side of GW, it all depends on how the big rulebook will handle everything, and if you still dont have a points system, or some proper effort to balance a model vs another model.

IF I get a possitive response from the big rulebook, I will start rebasing stuff no problem.
But if not.. I will just rebase enough models so that I can use then when I play pen and paper rpg and mothball the rest of the models. I will never again sell one bit of my army's because I will regret it in 10 years.

Overtninja
10-07-2015, 10:02
I might, my WE never ranked up properly because of how I modeled them anyway, and honestly the only things that even ranked in my army before the new WE rulebook (that I never got to use!) were my glade guard. It wouldn't be much of a hardship to put them on round bases, so I will probably go ahead and do that, because they look nicer. I have a few modeled bases for my characters, but I can always make them again, or even just slap them down as-is. Either way I think round bases look better so I'll probably take the time to do it.

Balerion
10-07-2015, 10:08
I might, my WE never ranked up properly because of how I modeled them anyway, and honestly the only things that even ranked in my army before the new WE rulebook (that I never got to use!) were my glade guard. It wouldn't be much of a hardship to put them on round bases, so I will probably go ahead and do that, because they look nicer. I have a few modeled bases for my characters, but I can always make them again, or even just slap them down as-is. Either way I think round bases look better so I'll probably take the time to do it.
That's a good point!

Yeah, my Stormvermin always posed a pre-game puzzle trying to fit them into their tray. Would have been significantly easier if they were on round bases.

Is there any company out there that makes round bases which also have some sort of indication of facing? Like engraved lines or something?

stroller
10-07-2015, 10:12
Anybody actually considering mass rebasing?

Don't be silly. I have large armies. I want to be building and painting my backlog, not going over perfectly workable figures.

DVeight
10-07-2015, 10:43
No, no and nooooooooo.

EagleWarrior
10-07-2015, 11:59
I do like round bases on single models but squares work a lot better for ranked up units. Even though GW seems to disagree, Warhammer is about armies, not about heroes and how they look ranked up matters.

While I take Balerion's point, I'm not at all sure I want to switch to AoS even if it doesn't flop, so I'll be sticking to my square bases.

Malagor
10-07-2015, 12:15
For me the jury is still out as to wether or not I shall continue with the non 40k side of GW, it all depends on how the big rulebook will handle everything, and if you still dont have a points system, or some proper effort to balance a model vs another model.

IF I get a possitive response from the big rulebook, I will start rebasing stuff no problem.
But if not.. I will just rebase enough models so that I can use then when I play pen and paper rpg and mothball the rest of the models. I will never again sell one bit of my army's because I will regret it in 10 years.
But there will be no big rulebook.
This is it.
There will be campaign books yes but the rules will remain the same, even the no points thing apperently.

And to answer the OP, no I will not since I doubt I will play AoS to begin with and even if I did then bases don't matter so I don't see any reason to destroy my models just to remove the base.

Cutter
10-07-2015, 12:39
No, because no scenario requires it. Editions 1 thru 8, I'm good, Age of Ziggy Played Guitar, still good, bases don't matter.

And then there's Kings of War.

Even if I went completely radio rental and bought into ZPG mixing square and round bases wouldn't bother me.

If that was the least of my modelling faux pas, you'd be damn lucky ^^

smokemeakipper
10-07-2015, 18:31
I wont be playing aos so I wont be needing round bases unless they are on my fanatics. im really hoping we get a semi-official website dedicated to 8th and we all keep playing that. if not ill look into 3rd edition rules, seems fun.

my painting table isn't currently running at its optimal best. may have to blow the cobwebs off it soon : (

samael
10-07-2015, 22:07
Short answer? No. Long answer? Hell no.

Grizzlybeer
10-07-2015, 22:27
I will be collecting all of the pre-AoS models that I've wanted and complete them on square bases... From what I have read its seems that all future releases will have bigger models that look out of place with the current ones. To me, AoS is not Warhammer - I've accepted this, so thats why I'm bcollecting old minis and wrapping WHFB up.

If I start an AoS army they will of course be on round bases, but everything up until AoS is dear to me so I prefer to remember it fondly as it was instead of trying to bring it into AoS. And if AoS fails and they decide to revert it, I'll bstill have my square bases! (probably won't happen, but one can dream :))

Theocracity
10-07-2015, 22:31
I did a crappy, slapdash job of basing when I was trying to put a Skaven army together, and I generally prefer the look of round bases to square. Therefore I like the idea of rebasing them. It probably would be an ongoing process though, starting with the units I like the most visually, and then working my way through the rest on a piecemeal basis. No rush.

Spiney Norman
10-07-2015, 22:42
I'm not going to be rebasing anything but my new AoS force will be on round bases, I want to still be able to use my old wfb armies to play 8th edition (or maybe even 6th if I can find the opponents).

I'm putting together a Khorne force for AoS, beginning With the chaos army from the starter and then adding some Khorne daemons as well (might even look at some bestigor at some stage because I really like those models, even if the rest of the beastmen range leaves me a bit cold). Since I'm looking for my daemon force to double up as a daemonic allied contingent for my 30k word bearers they'll be on round bases too.

Vladyhell
10-07-2015, 22:48
Yup,I am and have already started.Ordered 500 25mm for my VC,TK,Empire and Skaven foot troops and a lot of 32,40,50 and big ovals for everything else.What I can't seem to find on the GW site are the new ovals all the cavalry etc are on in WD75,the models look so sweet on them.

Whirlwind
10-07-2015, 22:49
No, firstly because you can play WFB and AoS with square bases whereas round limits you to AoS and secondly they just look cooler in ordered ranks rather than a scrum.

Urgat
10-07-2015, 22:49
No. Square bases work fine in AoS, I'm not going to rebase hundreds of goblins. I might base my unbuilt 25mm base stuff on round bases though, it works the same in a movement tray after all.

TheLionReturns
10-07-2015, 23:01
Not a chance. I have plenty of 8th edition gaming left in me (barely scratched the surface of the End Times), so things will stay on square bases. There is no real incentive to change anyway as square bases work fine for age of sigmar, while round won't work for warhammer. I actually quite like Age of Sigmar as a change of pace type game but my preferred mode of playing will remain 8th edition for fantasy gaming I suspect.

MusingWarboss
11-07-2015, 00:39
We base to aesthetic taste here, just what looks nice. I've actually just spent an evening rebasing Ork Stormboyz to 32mm bases because they look a lot better and will now stand up on their own (without having to glue currency under the base, though there's now room for a 2p!). As I don't seem to play against any picky people we're all fine with it as it seems appropriate. I draw the line at the whole army though!! I know you're all talking AoS but I imagine in a few years if popular enough a similar "whatever folks" system will be inserted into 40k - after all, they've never really utilised base sizes much in the game apart from a few measuring distances (as in a smaller or larger base doesn't signify anything).

So really, it comes down to what you want. GW are going round at the moment but if you've got 4000pts of square based WFB models - you don't have to change them to play! But if you want to, you can.

Balerion
11-07-2015, 07:10
I did a crappy, slapdash job of basing when I was trying to put a Skaven army together, and I generally prefer the look of round bases to square. Therefore I like the idea of rebasing them. It probably would be an ongoing process though, starting with the units I like the most visually, and then working my way through the rest on a piecemeal basis. No rush.
I think I have settled for something like this. I'll rebase some stuff here and there, focusing on the models I put a lot of conversion work into, and probably descending in size from Bell/HPA/War Machine/etc. size, to Rat Ogre/Weapon Teams size, to elite infantry, to mass infantry, and so on.

Not a chance. I have plenty of 8th edition gaming left in me (barely scratched the surface of the End Times), so things will stay on square bases. There is no real incentive to change anyway as square bases work fine for age of sigmar, while round won't work for warhammer. I actually quite like Age of Sigmar as a change of pace type game but my preferred mode of playing will remain 8th edition for fantasy gaming I suspect.
Round bases work just fine if you're employing movement trays. I'd imagine a significant number of Daemon players used round-based 40K Daemon armies for games of WHFB.

In fact round bases offer some advantages that square bases lack (mainly ease of positioning gangly models and ease of changing a unit's formation on the fly).

Davidian
11-07-2015, 09:11
No, because then I won't be able to use them to play 6th edition!... Remember that? When every army had a current rulebook? When flanking a big unit had an impact, when you could control how many power and dispel dice you generated, getting the charge mattered... That's the system my group is keeping alive ;-)

Angelwing
11-07-2015, 14:11
No. I don't suppose my fantasy models on the regiment bases (80x20mm) will work in AoS though, so that would be the only thing that might need rebasing. But I won't.

Tzar Boris
11-07-2015, 14:18
Caught myself assembling some Dryads on round bases.

On the second model, I was like "Nah, I'll still play some previous edition too, and no matter what happens, round bases are harder to come back from."

and "Why am I building a unit of Dryads?/Why do I still have them?/I've an Empire army to paint"

That's it. My entire internal conversation.

jtrowell
11-07-2015, 15:43
No, because then I won't be able to use them to play 6th edition!... Remember that? When every army had a current rulebook? When flanking a big unit had an impact, when you could control how many power and dispel dice you generated, getting the charge mattered... That's the system my group is keeping alive ;-)

What would you think if I said that one the the GW designers that made Warhammer 6th and 7th edition was trying to go back to the roots of the game by making a new unofficial edition that tried to keep this kind of global balance from early 6th edition while preserving the main theme and style of Warhammer ? A new unofficial edition that would be closer to what Warhammer has always been that AoS will ever be.
Would you buy this not-officially-warhammer(tm) ? :angel:

Do you know about Alessio Calvatore and Kings of War ? ;)

To get back on topic, I am seriously thinking on rebasing ... by removing all bases and glueing directly the models to the unit trays for Kings of War ... but then, I might not be able to use the models for D&D or other Wargames anymore ...

jet_palero
14-07-2015, 00:17
What would you think if I said that one the the GW designers that made Warhammer 6th and 7th edition was trying to go back to the roots of the game by making a new unofficial edition that tried to keep this kind of global balance from early 6th edition while preserving the main theme and style of Warhammer ? A new unofficial edition that would be closer to what Warhammer has always been that AoS will ever be.
Would you buy this not-officially-warhammer(tm) ? :angel:

Do you know about Alessio Calvatore and Kings of War ? ;)

To get back on topic, I am seriously thinking on rebasing ... by removing all bases and glueing directly the models to the unit trays for Kings of War ... but then, I might not be able to use the models for D&D or other Wargames anymore ...

Nice thing is that the old bases work fine with KoW, as long as you have a movement tray. Which anyone who plays WFB much at all should have had, because moving troops without them was a nightmare.

Mateobard
14-07-2015, 00:23
Nope. Age of Sigmar is a bad game, poorly designed, and is unlikely to thrive in the war gaming community. Rebasing would be a waste of time when games like Kings of War and the community based 9th Age are very real options.

Greyshadow
14-07-2015, 22:25
No, keep your collection based for classic Warhammer. At least wait awhile until the 'ravening hordes' war scrolls are replaced. You may find that you will only use a small selection of your existing models anyway.

Kaltheras
14-07-2015, 23:20
This is a complicated question for me. I've assembled my AoS box now and based the Khorne forces on squares and the Storcast's on rounds. The reason for this is so that I can use those glorious new Khorne models with my 1,200+ chaos miniatures which are all on squares. But, for some of my smaller armies (which I basically never played in 6/7/8th edition) I am thinking about rebasing a selection of them for better aethestics and AoS fun.

Greyshadow
16-07-2015, 08:17
That's sort of what I was thinking. I think I accept that I will have a mix of round and square bases in all my games from now on. Not ideal but I can live with that.

Ayin
16-07-2015, 08:33
But, for some of my smaller armies (which I basically never played in 6/7/8th edition) I am thinking about rebasing a selection of them for better aethestics and AoS fun.

I know it's not what you meant, but if I actually played Skaven, for instance, I'd very likely be putting small models like Clan Rats on 10mmx??mm rectangular bases to get them packed closer together. It's not as if the bases used for GW's previous game are somehow sacred and never to be altered. They always just had infantry on 20mm for regular, 25mm for 'big'.