PDA

View Full Version : How well does AOS handle big units?

Galadrin
10-07-2015, 05:39
Just out of curiosity, has anyone had the opportunity to test big units in AOS. Previously in 8th edition, I've seen some pretty huge units. What would a unit of, say, 60 models be like in AOS? Would it break the game? Would it just be a big tarball, since break tests are gone? What are your thoughts?

Okuto
10-07-2015, 06:17
In the few games I've played I think its better if you purposely take fewer models. IF you outnumber your opponent, they get these sudden death missions to compensate them.

For example, I brought two blobs of 24 empire state troops, a general and some crossbowmen against 15 ghouls, 5 dire wolves, a mounted vampire and 5 black knights

As I outnumbered him, he got a sudden death mission(I had no idea he could do this) and I chose the one where he has to kill my general. Needless to say, he did just that and bang, I lost the game instantly

Also, break tests are technically back, they're just called battle panic and imo they're worse, roll a d6+number of dead guys, whatever you lose by is how many guys run off the table.....more dead guys means more guys run off the table each turn

So no I think AoS favors elite troops more than rank and file, the latter get pretty niffy bonuses but I think you're better off just taking stuff from the old special and rare slot

SteveW
10-07-2015, 06:41
If you're aware that your opponent is going for the kill the general win condition, just keep deploying units until he has to fight through more than he can handle to get to him.

Ayin
10-07-2015, 06:49
If you're aware that your opponent is going for the kill the general win condition, just keep deploying units until he has to fight through more than he can handle to get to him.

This works assuming players of Age of Sigmar, a game touted by the online community as requiring a significantly lower entry investment and model count, have huge collections with which to deploy selectingly from.

SteveW
10-07-2015, 07:43
This works assuming players of Age of Sigmar, a game touted by the online community as requiring a significantly lower entry investment and model count, have huge collections with which to deploy selectingly from.

Yeah, one look at the mechanics had me thinking this whole "you don't need a lot of models" was just a marketing ploy, and a good one. The way the game plays is if a guy has a truckload of minis and you have 40 dudes, he wins every time. It's like one of those free to play online games that are actually pay to win.

Ayin
10-07-2015, 07:48
If the purpose of this game was solely to replace Fantasy with a more legally secured IP and introduce Space Marine aesthetics and concepts (their best selling concept into their lower selling game), then AoS is a success.

If it's to create a system with a lower cost of entry that thrives on small games and can be easily scaled up... then it only succeeds in the minds of people online who for some reason have set their own personal goals for it and have decided it matches them.

Malkier1984
10-07-2015, 10:20
Also, break tests are technically back, they're just called battle panic and imo they're worse, roll a d6+number of dead guys, whatever you lose by is how many guys run off the table.....more dead guys means more guys run off the table each turn

I know it's possibly minor, but don't forget you get +1 to your battleshock test for every 10 models in the unit when you take the test, so yeah, big units can work, and some get bonuses for having lots of models (Zombies, 'Empire' State Troops etc.)

Malkier1984
10-07-2015, 10:25
The way the game plays is if a guy has a truckload of minis and you have 40 dudes, he wins every time. It's like one of those free to play online games that are actually pay to win.

Not necessarily, just pick Endure (if you can think you can weather 6 turns) or High Ground (if you think you can get to the chosen terrain feature by turn 4). Especially High Ground, as the enemy can be all over the objective, but you just need 1 model within 3" and you win.