PDA

View Full Version : what army are you playing or starting for AOS?

Boss Zagstruk
10-07-2015, 12:18
From what ive seen and read AOS looks like a great game. Hell im an optomist so i cant wait to start collecting. One of the my biggest issues with past editions was building such large regiments. I plan on getting the starter set and will build on the sigmar dudes. Id also be tempted to start wood elves.ive been reading there war scrolls and can see lots of fun things to do with them. Lizardmen look fun too. Being able to take a carnosaur and not think but what about my slann i need those points.

So can we think positively and tell me what your gonna be playing with. What your gonna start collecting. And what fun combos or themes you want to try.

Thanks

HammerofThunor
10-07-2015, 12:21
I'm getting the box set and I'll paint up both as small armies. After that, I'm waiting to see what comes out. I like the idea of doing a Ghur (Wild) or Ulgu (Shadow) based armies but not sure how it's going to work. Also like the idea of the Saraphon.

What I am doing is waiting for the new books to come out and see what those war scrolls are like, not going off the war scrolls produced for the current models.

Turgol
10-07-2015, 12:26
Getting box, painting Sigmarines, giving Chaos to my brother. Then maybe some more Sigmarines and wait to see what the armies related to my old ones (DE, O&G, dwarfs) look like.

Clewz
10-07-2015, 12:40
Undead. Been toying with the idea since the End Times Nagash book came out

Cutter
10-07-2015, 12:48
Probably these guys as warscrolled Beastie men,

http://www.lego.com/en-gb/chima/products/70231-crocodile-tribe-pack

though I also have access to an f-ton of MegaBloks Dragon Wars Knights, which basically are sigmarines...

duffybear1988
10-07-2015, 13:03
Space Marines mounted on square bases.

Ghachii
10-07-2015, 13:09
Torn between continuing to develop my Nurgle army (for which I currently have 3 models!) and getting the starter set. The starter set stuff doesn't particularly grab me (particularly the Khorne stuff), but I'm keen to persuade my wife to try it, and 2 complete forces with scenarios would be a great place to start.

Vazalaar
10-07-2015, 13:11
Ugh maybe the trolls could stay away?!

Both armies in the starter set, small army of Brets, HE, WE, Dwarves and Empire. I have lots of minis from different armies, but only 1 big army (Empire). The good thing about AoS is that I now can use every mini I have ever bought...and don't need a complete army to use it.

swordofglass
10-07-2015, 13:15
The good thing about AoS is that I now can use every mini I have ever bought...and don't need a complete army to use it.

Yeah that's such a good thing... lol!

duffybear1988
10-07-2015, 13:23

Both armies in the starter set, small army of Brets, HE, WE, Dwarves and Empire. I have lots of minis from different armies, but only 1 big army (Empire). The good thing about AoS is that I now can use every mini I have ever bought...and don't need a complete army to use it.

Awww no fair ;)

Seriously though I've been working on a skirmishing force that's completely themed (in a non troll-tastic way).

It's based around an inn at the edge of the known world where all adventurers eventually end up. Kind of like a care home for those who have journeyed too far and now won't survive the trip back. As I already had all the figures converted or in the works I figured I'd just try and make it work with AoS for a laugh.

So I have the inn itself which is going to count as a fortified manor. Then there is a tavern wench wielding a hammer and stool (because bar brawls are common). I figured that in the rules she could be a priest of sigmar and her abilities represent her inspiring the men with her large chest and wicked tongue.

Then there are the tavern patrons - basically 10 free company armed with an assortment of random weapons and equipment.

Finally, because no fantasy game is complete without at least one elf and dwarf I have opted to include a dwarf grudge thrower which will be mounted on a platform on the tower of the inn. Flinging rocks at passing goblins gives the dwarf crew something to do between brewing and drinking. A wood elf waywatcher lord and his pack of 5 wolves (hunting hounds) fills out my roster. He protects the land and paths around the inn and guides those who are lost towards it.

So yeah, a totally random bunch of figures.

Herzlos
10-07-2015, 13:32
I'll need to wait and see what they do. If I get lured back in, it'll be Lizardmen or Dwarves I think.

mdauben
10-07-2015, 13:43
If I do collect and play AoS (and that's not a given yet) it will be with a totally new army. The Sigmarines look interesting, but I think I'll wait to see what the other "new" races look like. If one of them really catches my interest, maybe I'll start on them.

I'll just keep my old armies around to play 8th or KoW with for now. ;)

From a Galaxy far, far away...

SlowingCoyote
10-07-2015, 13:46
AoS is what got me to start my first ever WHF army, Vampire Counts! I plan to make an army built around a Strigoi Ghoul King, which will be represented by a Grenadier Undead Troll.

Kegslayer
10-07-2015, 13:56
I'm going mono khorne. Two starter boxes worth and the characters ill convert into other hero choices. Will add bloodletters and flesh hounds and will likely get some jugger riders both warriors and daemon as well as those blood reaper guys then go from there.

The wife that doesn't do this kind of thing has shown an interest with how easy it is to play. So she is starting with the sigmarites

Philhelm
10-07-2015, 14:04
Stormcast Eternal army using Space Marine Terminators with thunder hammers and storm shields. WYSIWYG.

Nah, I primarily playe Empire, so I'll likely purchase uninspiring, over the top Human Faction X when it is released in three years.

Nightfall Shimmer
10-07-2015, 14:12
Sylvaneth. I've always liked the Drycha model, and the new Treemen look ace. (Well their new to me!) Tempted to hold off on Dryads (nice kit but looks super dated compared to the treeman!) and I can't stand the Treekin models, but thats fine. I'll wait till the book drops. Stormcast look nice but I don't think i'd have an army of them. Might buy a box of the winged guys when their released though!

jullevi
10-07-2015, 14:21
I just bought a box of metal Questing Knights and Louen Leoncoeur at 50% off and I have some Grail Pilgrims without use, so Bretonnia it is. Also looking forward to make a Chaos warband or two, and some Undead and Night Goblins and Wood Elves and...

DVeight
10-07-2015, 14:50
Played for couple years with Chaos and before End Times bought heaps of Empire though didn't base them until I discover what is going on with AoS. Now gluing them madly together. Just masses of spear and handgunners for some playtesting goodness.

Borri
10-07-2015, 14:58
Definitely going to adapt my Chaos Dwarves for Kings of War.

Okuto
10-07-2015, 15:21
Gonna use my 40k daemons for pick up games or my existing armies, have no intention at this time on starting new forces for AoS though. If that changes, I'd like a wood elf guerrilla warband

Cutter
10-07-2015, 15:32

Aw, bless...

(GW mail order used to be run by Trolls...true story...ask a longbeard...)

I'll also be rolling a Bret army once these guys ship,

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/687110463/medieval-mayhem-28mm-knights-versus-zombies-miniat/description

They should fit right in with the ZPG design aesthetic.

The good thing about AoS is that I now can use every mini I have ever bought...

Just like Kings of War then :-)

Sweet.

Shandor
10-07-2015, 15:33

What Trolls you talking about? Those who say they have fun with AoS? I feel Trolled by them.
Or those who dont like AoS?
Or The Trolls got renamed Trallgur?

;)

HelloKitty
10-07-2015, 15:36
I'm starting to build more to my khorne army with the new models. I also plan on an undead force and I may do a sigmarite force with the new models.

Theocracity
10-07-2015, 15:41
I started a Skaven army a long time ago and failed to complete it due to the grinding work necessary to build an 8th edition Skaven army. AoS seems to allow more freedom to build an army out of the elements I think are cool, so I'm pondering a return to them if my ardor for 40k Orks ever cools.

Sthenio
10-07-2015, 16:19
Seraphim. Seraphom. Seraphon? Sera... Lizardmen.

I'm actually pretty excited, I can cherry pick the models I like from the range without having to pay the usual "tax" of the less interesting Saraus models. Also: Summon Carnosaur may be my favourite concept for a spell ever.

Vazalaar
10-07-2015, 16:34
Aw, bless...

(GW mail order used to be run by Trolls...true story...ask a longbeard...)

I'll also be rolling a Bret army once these guys ship,

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/687110463/medieval-mayhem-28mm-knights-versus-zombies-miniat/description

They should fit right in with the ZPG design aesthetic.

Just like Kings of War then :-)

Sweet.

And the rest of the quote is...?

I can now use the 10 Blightkings I own in AoS, without having to buy x amount of Chaos models to field them. Which I still need if would want to use them in KoW2 (Signed up for the Mantic newsletter, so I could get the KoW2 soon).

This topic is about which army/units you want to use with AoS. It's not another bash AoS topic.

If you come here to just complain about AoS, you are trolling and than a mod should intervene.

tiger g
10-07-2015, 16:42
Going to finally have a chance to use my Skaven. Never seemed to have enough but this will give me a chance to use them. Same with the Lizards. Will start Chaos from the box set and see where that goes. Always can fall back with my Empire Mercenary army which can now add units from other races.

Treadhead_1st
10-07-2015, 17:36
Depends on what happens with the rules in the future and what the other races will look like.

If there are major redesigns of the current races coming then I will play with those that look best. If there are no major aesthetic changes but better rules drop then I am really tempted by Lizardmen and Dwarfs.

Until then I'm either not going to play or I will stick to my existing High Elves and Wood Elves to play against my partner's Vampire Counts (perhaps AoS, perhaps 8th).

BasetheRuin
10-07-2015, 18:24
Well, I'm excited to start adding to my five knight warband of Khorne. With some of the new Marauders, some dragon ogres and a hero, I'll have a nice skirmishing warband ready in a relatively short time. That's a nice change!

DevonMeep
10-07-2015, 18:29
They've teased some Nurgle models so I'll probably start there and then take up the Orcs, goblins, and Ogres when they're new incarnations are released.

RunepriestRidcully
10-07-2015, 19:55
Going to stick with my lizardmen and High elves, though am going to do a small tomb kings forces as now I don't need to spend over a hundred pounds on skeletons to be able to feifl my giant stone Warkitties of DOOOOM!! Fluffwise, as I've not heard of anything happening to the Nehkeranian gods bar Urisian, I'm going with that then remaining gods plucked the last of the tomb king's resisting Nagash/the most faithful and deposited them around the new realms, some being restored as humans, others remianing undead to act as conduit to pass on the knowledge and culture or old Nehekhara to the new humans.
As such, though most of his forces were destroyed in the final fight against Nagash, the Lapis Statuary legion of Djafhotep protects those settlments, man,elf or dwarf who pledge allegiance and tribute unto him

InstantKarma
10-07-2015, 20:04
I was a WHFB stalker; always read up on the fluff and rules, but never had the funds to branch into it AND do 40k at the same time (which I know many players have pointed to as being a weakness of the sales pitch of AoS).

That being said, with the lower cost of entry now seeming to become a reality, I have probably 5 forces I'd consider, in descending order:

1) Wood Elves
2) Beastmen
3) Tomb Kings
4) Dwarfs
5) Night Goblins (Grots? Well it does seem to be 'Gorkamorka' all over again :D )

Yes I know these are the 'legacy' names for those forces, but at this point it's still easier to think of them using their older names (probably will remain that way for awhile).

I'm going to wait to see those forces when they have new models released but I plan on keep close tabs on AoS as the rules develope further. I am concerned about balance/competitive gaming because those elements to me help make the game fun, not draw away from it. I will be interested what mechanisims come out over the rest of the year and next year.

drazhar222
10-07-2015, 20:16
I've been thinking about it since the models came out that I wanted to do a Ghost army based around spirit hosts.
also kinda interested in where they are going with Slannesh may have to base an army around that.

Mirbeau
10-07-2015, 20:24
Gonna do a Dark Omen campaign for my dad, he loves that game to this day. So, basic levelling up, magic items, escalation, death and voluntary rout rules for the aos; need to finish up my undead, orcs, empire and a couple of units of ogres and dwarves first. Should be a blast, he's never got into the real stuff before but the added simplicity and smaller scale will help.

For my own games, will be giving vampire counts a good go for the first time (even though I've had the models an age) along with repainting one of my elven armies. Hoping to keep the game small, didn't enjoy the first game (had near 2000 point warhammer armies in deep ranks, was a mess and v. hard to keep track of) though the smaller second match was surprisingly fun.

Kerrahn
10-07-2015, 20:38
Wanted to start Dark Elves when the last book came out, but Witch Elves were too expensive. Now I can field units of 10 - 20 instead of Hordes, and don't need a heap more options fielded beside them that I don't already own, I think AoS is a great excuse to start them.

Mawduce
10-07-2015, 20:51
AoS is what got me to start my first ever WHF army, Vampire Counts! I plan to make an army built around a Strigoi Ghoul King, which will be represented by a Grenadier Undead Troll.

Blood Knights, Blood Knights for days

Azazel
10-07-2015, 20:59
Nurgle or Tzeentch Daemons with some Mortals in there for variety.

Depends which Greater Daemon is released first, not long now I hope.

pox
10-07-2015, 21:21
I have 13,000 points of painted skaven, just shy of 800 models. I'll start with different clans, see which are fun to use and try out some standard combos.

Assuming I enjoy playing (Our GW store has a very strong and fun player base so good odds,) At that point i'll look to some more unique modelling options that were not possible in the old rules. I bought a stonetusk for the sitting ogre legs, so I'll convert that first to have clan moulder packmasters driving it. After that I'll prolly make the one thing I've always wanted in my Skaven army, some fast and heavy cav. (counts as maurader horsemen and chaos knights.)

I also have a ton of random fantasy boxes I bought to make inquisitor retinues, so I can always make some small unit dogs of war for fun and flavor.

Spiney Norman
10-07-2015, 23:15
I'm starting initially with a Khorne force, beginning with the starter set models and adding a blood thirster and some letters, maybe some flesh hounds too if I can get some of those sexy looking oval bases.

I'm keeping an eye out for the new releases for AoS as they come out, I'm not especially interested in the Sigmarines but any new chaos stuff or Seraphon will be leaped on.

Shandor
11-07-2015, 00:03
Why start with a single Race? You can play Darkelf, Sigmarine, Dwarf, Lizardman in one army? Just take different Heroes for different bonuses.

MusingWarboss
11-07-2015, 00:22
Awww no fair ;)

Seriously though I've been working on a skirmishing force that's completely themed (in a non troll-tastic way).

It's based around an inn at the edge of the known world where all adventurers eventually end up. Kind of like a care home for those who have journeyed too far and now won't survive the trip back. As I already had all the figures converted or in the works I figured I'd just try and make it work with AoS for a laugh.

So I have the inn itself which is going to count as a fortified manor. Then there is a tavern wench wielding a hammer and stool (because bar brawls are common). I figured that in the rules she could be a priest of sigmar and her abilities represent her inspiring the men with her large chest and wicked tongue.

Then there are the tavern patrons - basically 10 free company armed with an assortment of random weapons and equipment.

Finally, because no fantasy game is complete without at least one elf and dwarf I have opted to include a dwarf grudge thrower which will be mounted on a platform on the tower of the inn. Flinging rocks at passing goblins gives the dwarf crew something to do between brewing and drinking. A wood elf waywatcher lord and his pack of 5 wolves (hunting hounds) fills out my roster. He protects the land and paths around the inn and guides those who are lost towards it.

So yeah, a totally random bunch of figures.

You jest but thanks to a very bearded one I've just realised that I'm sat on two armies for AoS already! Yes, indeed, I shall be giving the rules pamphlet a go using the contents of... Advanced Heroquest! Sweet! [emoji3] I've always quite fancied having a Skaven army but was put off by having more hordes to do. Plus I've got a load of henchmen and heroes!!

Even better, they're all on the 25mm round bases they were supplied with!!

So yeah, I shall be tarting up my Skaven sometime. When I say tarting up I mean a new paintjob, not lipstick and a glittery cocktail dress or anything. It's the Age of Sigmar, not the Age of Sequins.

I may have to get a character though... From eBay naturally.

The bearded one
11-07-2015, 01:53
I'm starting a little bretonnia force with pretty much just archers and pegasus knights - at least for now.

I've played a couple games now, but so far what I've mostly done is use 10 archers and 1 bretonnian lord on pegasus, grab an assassination sudden death objective, quickly throw the archers' arrowstorm ability at the target, and then charge in the lord to try and finish them off (so far he mostly fluffed; usually missing 4 of his 5 3+ attacks. Then the peasants finished the game instead).

I'm still very iffy on AoS. I'm.. trying to enjoy it, but this morning I had a 2400 points game of 8th edition in the local GW and we just had so much fun, and a really tense battle during the game's second half punctuated by really funny kills, that the Age of Sigmar games I played later that day just fell flat by comparison, as mostly exercises in dicerolling.

RunepriestRidcully
11-07-2015, 10:42
So yeah, I shall be tarting up my Skaven sometime. When I say tarting up I mean a new paintjob, not lipstick and a glittery cocktail dress or anything. It's the Age of Sigmar, not the Age of Sequins.
I'm now just imaging a grey seer Flapper.....
Tbf, I would love to see essentially a 1920/30's style fantasy setting, maybe some kind of gang warfare as prohibition, with a dwarven gang led by a suited up Bugman? Something art deco, something which took the fantasy tropes and gave them a art deco twist cold have been unique and much more fun rather then just a bland god king and his servants with no free will against the bloodly skullsplitting blooddrinkers generic fantasy barbarians.

andyg2006
11-07-2015, 15:48
+1 to what RunepriestRidcully said.

Will eventually be doing Skaven or Mr. Slaanesh (she's great!).

WarsmithGarathor94
12-07-2015, 00:32
my daemons which i primarily brought for 40k

artisturn
12-07-2015, 01:52
Two weeks ago I picked up the 6th edition Orcs and Goblins battalion box for $7.50 that will be the start of my Orcs and grots force.

Also this is when being a procrastinator pays off, I have a bunch of unbuilt stuff from my two armies, Vampire Counts and Orcs and Goblins so I am going to just use those models.

Kisanis
12-07-2015, 03:32
I think my Skaven will get some love with AoS;

Luckily I have most of what I would want to buy, but they almost always needed to ALLLLLL come out for an 8th edition game. Now I can cherry pick fun weapon teams and combos (I really like the warpgrinder dumping a giant horde of rats behind the lines).

I think it will be interesting; and I want to see how this goes.
I also have a shambling horde of neglected brets from 5th edition, and 2000pts of 8th High Elves, I may somewhat cobble together a "Good list" of assorted models that I enjoy from the ranges (Brets, High Elves, Wood Elves, Dwarves) all working together as an alternate.

GrandmasterWang
12-07-2015, 07:22
Not really a new army as I already had a Khorne force but I'm currently thinking that will be my AOS thrip.

I just finished painting the old Oop Arbaal the Undefeated model and due to Aos I mounted him on a Carnifex base. He actually looks a lot better on it than his old 40mm base. I will play him as a Khorne Juggerlord in AOS.

To supplement him I am currently working on an OOP bloodthirster to work as his enforcer.

Im really looking forwards to adding the Khornebrute to my force :)

So that will be my first "AOS" army. Arbaal will be interesting as the first character I have ever brought into AOS and Chillhammer simultaneously

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Kherith
12-07-2015, 10:11
I won't be starting any AOS army until I get my campaign book next week. Assuming I like the background I'll be expanding my Dark Elf army to include all brands of Aelf and Sylvaneth as per the plan I had following Khaine which Archaon put on hold.

An'farli
12-07-2015, 10:25
I will be collecting a Wood Aelf Army as I have been wanting to collect a Wood Elf/Aelf army for a long time

Overtninja
12-07-2015, 13:56
I want to add some models to my WE army - I'd love a new plastic Treeman, a box of Wildrider/Sisters (for the sisters, I have ten of the metal hairband wildriders already :p), a few of the hero models, some warhawks (I'll need to replace the riders because they are flatly hideous, but whatever), and maybe a few more Waywatchers, because they are great. After that, I'll be able to wait on whatever comes out in AoS and see how the Aelf/Sylvaneth turn out.

I might also buy the starter box, because I actually like the Sigmarines models and the gribbly monsters in the Khorne section would be wonderful to paint.

Toejam
12-07-2015, 16:34
I'm tempted to create a Night Goblin army and could mix it up with some beastmen or ogres.

Tae
12-07-2015, 17:14
I'm very interested in starting an undead/death army. I always liked undead but had no desire to own/build/paint hundreds of basic core skeletons/zombies. Hopefully AoS will tone down that particular necessity.

EcceNoHomo
12-07-2015, 23:49
Well I'll probably take a Keeper of Secrets, some pistoleers, a few Saurus, a couple of flame cannons, a repeater bolt thrower, and some hammerers.

EcceNoHomo
12-07-2015, 23:50
I'm very interested in starting an undead/death army.

Not from the sound of it. What you want is a Twilight raiding party.

Kisanis
13-07-2015, 12:42
Im looking in to picking up some historical skirmish cavalry to use as marauder cavalry with javelins to go alongside my skaven to give me some decent cavalry.

Celtic by warlord or Anglo saxon by wargames factory.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

stegadonshepherd
13-07-2015, 12:48
Brettonia!
Because finally they got new rules.
Much like everyone else, Age of Sigmar does that.
But i guess the news are good for tomb kings and beastmen as well.

Typo
13-07-2015, 14:38
I'm not.

I was looking at a Khemrian goblin list (chariots and converted pump wagons, skeletons trying to hold onto said chariots as the goblins escape in them) as my next project.

I was also looking at a dwarven airforce, a lizardmen army (because DINOSAURS!) and expanding my Wood Elves to use some of the new models. At ~3-400 for a reasonably sized army of each. Not to mention a TK army made from the spares of the goblins.

Luckily for me, from the point where the new edition was rumoured (around when I picked up my WE army book), I held off making (m)any purchases instead of what I'd normally do at the start of a project which is to buy a whole army in one hit. I've bought a box of Sisters of the Thorn, one of Tempestus Scions, and an Imperial Knight (back in February), and some paint pots.

Sadly, the new direction is leaving me cold. Maybe if the new models are pretty enough I'll do one of the things above, but it'll end up as tens, rather than hundreds of pounds in GW's pocket.

On the plus side, the 2.70 Sigmarine has provided me with an excellent base for an Inquisitor, which I was previously eyeing up a box of GK for. That's saved me 17 or so...

Kisanis
13-07-2015, 16:15
I may pick up a few fun models here and there.

I like the wood elf models, and they offer good light infantry for my high elf force. I may get some dwarves from mantic for a heavy infantry block too.

AoS does give a lot of freedom, but GW would be delusinal if they think im gonna spend 240 CAD on 20 sigmarines when that would mostly finish my 40k csm army, or be 2 historical armies.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

Jind_Singh
13-07-2015, 17:00
Stormcast Eternals from the starter set with plans to buy a boxed set of Liberators to give them either two hand weapons or swords/shields to add some variety to my rank & file, as well as the new character on foot in case I don't always want to run special characters from the starter set.

From my old collection - Chaos! I had bought, but not opened, the Nurgle boxed set that included Nurgle Deamons, Blight Kings, and a Maggot Lord - but I held off building them until I learned the fate of WHFB - so now I'm going to build them.

I have my Empire/OnG from 8th that I can just use in AoS too - but my main forces for AoS will be the above two.

Avian
13-07-2015, 17:06
Someone should paint up a Sigmardude to look like a stone golem. I'd be interested in seeing what that looks like.

wulox
13-07-2015, 21:20
I'm planning on building a force of Stormcast eternals, minus the big hammer guys and the boss on dragon. Not too fond of all the detail, and I will be de-detailing the chaplain bloke a bit. Too many spikes!

Red Skullz
13-07-2015, 21:27
A skaven army. Finally! :D
Only warband sized but I treated myself with Thanquol and Boneripper for those special occasions though. Mostly just because it's an awesome miniature.

Philhelm
14-07-2015, 00:12
I want an army of Gryph-Hounds! I can even assign one to be my general.

turtle123
14-07-2015, 02:37
Sigmarines. When Seraphon get new models, those guys too. If they release a hot Amazonian faction I'll get those too. Really interested to see what will be released. Even if there are no more codexes, I hope they release fluff books with the release of armies. From the look of things, they'll probably have campaign books like End Times with different factions in each book. Understandable from a sales point of view.