PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to use bases?

Harwammer
10-07-2015, 17:34
Do I have to use bases in AOS?

Could I just put weights/magnets in the feet of my models and put them directly onto a (magnetized) movement tray?

As long as my models don't fall over, right?

heavyheart
10-07-2015, 17:48
Yes bases are just there to hold models up now.

Btw magnets how do they work?

Whirlwind
10-07-2015, 17:52
Alternatively if you made your gaming table out of some from of paintable expanding foam then you could just use pins on the feet and press them in.

Tyranno1
10-07-2015, 17:54
You could magnetize a whole playing board and the models feet.

Behold maximum immersion!

Harwammer
10-07-2015, 18:07
Thanks guys, I thought as much... Now just to figure out exactly how to make it work!
You could magnetize a whole playing board and the models feet.

Behold maximum immersion!

I'm so immersed I'm deep sea diving!

3eland
10-07-2015, 23:41
Would a metallic form of paint on a table top work? Do they make such a thing?

I have seen magnetic terrain (where hills and such had magnets on the bottom and just snapped on) but wondering if it could be done to an entire table.

Hmmmmm

MusingWarboss
10-07-2015, 23:58

I have seen magnetic terrain (where hills and such had magnets on the bottom and just snapped on) but wondering if it could be done to an entire table.

Hmmmmm

They do make magnetic paint but it's actually not very good. Depending on your board, or if you (anyone, not just you 3eland) fancy making a new one then something like a snooker/pool table construction is a better method. That is, get some sheet metal, either rigid enough to stand on its own (heavy!!) or some thin type which you can stick to some ply/mdf and then glue a grass mat over the top of the sheet metal.

Quite involved but most magnets, particularly small rare earth/neodymium one will clamp to it lovely. Plus it'll look nice too!!

There's a project for you!! [emoji2]

EDIT: You could have magnetic trees too!!

ScruffMan
11-07-2015, 00:05
They do make magnetic paint but it's actually not very good. Depending on your board, or if you (anyone, not just you 3eland) fancy making a new one then something like a snooker/pool table construction is a better method. That is, get some sheet metal, either rigid enough to stand on its own (heavy!!) or some thin type which you can stick to some ply/mdf and then glue a grass mat over the top of the sheet metal.

Quite involved but most magnets, particularly small rare earth/neodymium one will clamp to it lovely. Plus it'll look nice too!!

That would be incredible. Cheers for the advice, really helpful, I just wish I had the time and/or energy to do it! ;)

MusingWarboss
11-07-2015, 00:46
That would be incredible. Cheers for the advice, really helpful, I just wish I had the time and/or energy to do it! ;)

Buy a cheap whiteboard, they're often made of thin magnetic metal and come in a range of sizes. :)

3eland
11-07-2015, 02:36

That is actually a really cool idea. Especially for the trees.

SteveW
11-07-2015, 03:14

Hmmmmm
I did a review of magnetic paint on my youtube channel if you want to see how well it works. Link in sig.

3eland
11-07-2015, 03:29
I did a review of magnetic paint on my youtube channel if you want to see how well it works. Link in sig.

That actually looks like good stuff!

SteveW
11-07-2015, 19:25
Glad you liked it.