PDA

View Full Version : Steam tank question

x-esiv-4c
14-06-2005, 18:09
Hello,
I recently got a "copy" of the Empire army book and it doesn't seem to be entirely complete. It has no entries for steamtanks at all. Is the steamtank listing in another book or is my ...digital copy flawed?

Thanks!

Spider
14-06-2005, 18:10
The steam tank was released in/through white dwarf.

The rules might be Gee-Dubs home site.

x-esiv-4c
14-06-2005, 18:16
Ahhhhhhh I appriciate it. Does the Gw site have the rules for all the variations of the steam tank?

Flame
14-06-2005, 19:06
Hello,
I recently got a "copy" of the Empire army book and it doesn't seem to be entirely complete. It has no entries for steamtanks at all. Is the steamtank listing in another book or is my ...digital copy flawed?

Thanks!

Maybe buy a proper version?

x-esiv-4c
14-06-2005, 19:13
I will if I decide to play empire. Is the Steamtank viewed by opponents as Cheese? Is fielding multiple steam-tanks considered down-right fromagian?

Kelroth
14-06-2005, 19:17
Yes and yes. The Steam Tank works so far outside the normal rules that it requires detailed study in order for it to be useable. Usually this study hasn't been conducted by an opponent and so they have little idea of how it works, which leaves its rules open to 'ambigous' interpretations.

samael
14-06-2005, 19:22
Ahhhhhhh I appriciate it. Does the Gw site have the rules for all the variations of the steam tank?

Just go here (http://uk.games-workshop.com/empire/steam%2Dtank/1/) and check it out.

It's got all you ever wanted to know about it.

Spider
14-06-2005, 19:38
In short the steam tank is considered by most to be the very definition of the word cheese.

In addition the rules are so painfully unwieldly it just isn't worth using. IMO

Nice model though.

Flame
14-06-2005, 20:14
Against some armies (mainly elves) it is all powerful
Against others, (chaos, lizzies) it is less useful, because it is very vunerable to getting hit by S6+ attacks, which these armies have in bucket loads

Tyra_Nid
15-06-2005, 01:31
Maybe buy a proper version?

Steam tank rules arent in proper version either :)

Griefbringer
15-06-2005, 09:15
Steam tank rules are not in the Empire army book - they were released in WD about a year afterwards. They can be found in the Annual/Chronicles 2002 and 2004.

FlameKnight
15-06-2005, 09:38
They can also be downlnoaded from the UK site.

Punk_in_Drublic
15-06-2005, 10:12
I was tinkering with the idea of gettting me a stank since my army lacked a centerpiece, but the following reaction from my gaming buds (amongst the, T10 from this forum) put me off it: it was not that they would hate me for brining the monstrosity onto the table (....much), but rather that a unit that requires all them special rules for itself does not add to the game, it just bogs it down. In hindsight, I agree, after downloading and reading through the rules. You would have a ******* steam tank phase of the game.

Later,

-Punk

Badgobbla
15-06-2005, 15:06
But a steam tank can be quite some fun and it's toned down in 6th ed. I once played against one in 5th ed. and that was a nightmare!

The boyz
15-06-2005, 15:22
Yeah they have been toned down quite a bit, thank god.

peteratwar
15-06-2005, 15:35
Certainly it has its won special rules but then it is a special item. It always did.

Its real effect is in the panic it seems to engender in any opponents who often seem to have great difficulty in working out how to nullify/damage/destroy it.

It isn't uber powerful and can be dealt with. Not easily by some armies but most can cope.

x-esiv-4c
16-06-2005, 03:46
I've been reading over the rules and is it right to say that the rules seem really cumbersome? Like it doesn't fit in with the rest of the warhammer rules-set?

Lord Lucifer
16-06-2005, 04:01
Well, the same could be said about a lot of things, like the Tomb Kings magic phase for example.

Yes, it's different. Yes, the rules don't gel as well.
But it's a very unique thing, and about the only time an Empire army gets scary
Am I the only one that enjoys a new challenge?

Badgobbla
16-06-2005, 12:26
I've been reading over the rules and is it right to say that the rules seem really cumbersome? Like it doesn't fit in with the rest of the warhammer rules-set?

That's probably why they didn't include it in the original Empire-codex.

But, as Lord Lucifer said, it's a nice challenge to play around this thing instead of always fighting the rank and file troops.

Headsplitta
16-06-2005, 21:01
I don't think the rules are all so complicated! I use the thank very often and my several enemies in my gaming group have adapted their tactics so they can now beat out the hell of my tanks. Espacilay my beloved Van Brau variant (hell blaster and fighting platform).

I all ready hear you crying loud CHEESYY!!, but beleive me, The tank is all but unbeatable. Orcs and Goblins, Vampire counts, Chaos, Lizardmen, Tomb kings and skaven can all managed to put them out of order and sent back to Altdorf for repairs.

You just have to make the right choices when you are selcting your army.