PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between a "Chaos Lord" and a "Nurgle Chaos Lord?"

Philhelm
11-07-2015, 04:42
I've never played Chaos, but was thinking about getting some Nurgle models. When looking through the Warriors of Chaos warscrolls for Age of Sigmar, I noticed that there was a Chaos Lord, which can take a mark of Nurgle, and a Nurgle Chaos Lord. What's the difference? Were they different unit entries in the 8th edition Warriors of Chaos army book?

Also, I'm curious as to what, exactly, are the Putrid Blightkings (love the models!). They seem like Chaos Warriors devoted to Nurgle, but are so much larger. What's the deal?

Ayin
11-07-2015, 05:30
To your first part. There is no rule difference between a Chaos Lord with MoN and a Chaos Lord of Nurgle. That being said, GW released a specific model for a Nurgle character, so if there are different AoS rules for the two, it's likely to represent that specific Nurgle character model.

As for Putrid Blightkings, along with another Khorne themed unit that could be made two ways, they were End Times models that, at the time, were a terrible fit for fantasy, being both too large to put on normal Chaos 25mm square bases and smaller than Ogres on 40mm. They were set on 40's, given Ogre stats, but normal Infantry rules, making them...well, a disaster.

Now, with the launch of AoS, we see that both of these kits were likely (and by that I mean actually were) just early releases of models made specifically for AoS. Larger scale than the previous kits for that force (Warriors of Chaos) and no concern about ranking, basically effective scale versions of highly specialized sculpts of Nurgle Chaos Warriors and Khorne Chaos Warriors to set up beside Sigmarines.

As to their history and fluff, just like the Khorne models released in Archaon, they were brand new and an unfortunate amount of ink was dedicated to them instead of other potential story elements that were an actual part of the Warhammer Fantasy world.

GramercyRiff
11-07-2015, 05:32
Putrid Blightkings came out during End Times. They weren't in the Warriors of Chaos armybook. I have no idea what their fluff is because I didn't read any ET stuff.

In 8th, and previous editions at least as far back as 6th, the Chaos Lord was a Lord level character. You could give him one of the four marks or no mark at all. Non marked Chaos Lords are just Chaos Lords.

As for the AoS Chaos Lord w/MoN and Nurgle Chaos Lord, I have no idea why they both exist. Looks like they play quite differently though.

Philhelm
12-07-2015, 02:30
Thanks for the responses.

Has anyone read the Glotkin book? I'm curious what it had to say about the Blightkings.

Tiberius Frost
12-07-2015, 09:53
When I read the thread title, I thought someone was going to reply "The taste!"

[/trolling]

DevonMeep
12-07-2015, 19:44
They've shown pictures of new Nurgle models fighting Treemen and Dryads so we're probably going to get some Nurgle specific war scrolls in the near future.