PDA

View Full Version : What Happens next?

Smooth Boy
12-07-2015, 05:30
I've always loved the Lord of the Rings story, but lately I've had more appreciation for Tolkien's world building. It's clear that in the next few years Games Workshop's wargame will die off, but what will happen to the LotR after? Do people think another company will take up a licence with New Line Cinema to produce a wargame like Warlord Games? Will NLC even be bothered about producing another wargame? I know that over the past decade the Tolkien estate has become more protective of their intellectual property. What do people hope for or speculate?

mdauben
12-07-2015, 07:37
I'm not sure what anyone could do with the licence at this point. It seems GW has mined the LOTR movies and books pretty thoroughly. I would think anyone else taking up the licence would just be rehashing what GW already did.

I suppose it might be possible to do a bit more thorough job with The Hobbit book and movies than GW did, but there would still need to be a lot of overplap.

Unless they did an entirely different sort of miniatures game? Not sure what that won't be though. Of course, even if someone picked up the miniatures game licence they still suffer from the pool of second hand GW miniatures still floating around, eroding any sales of new stuff. All in all, I'm just not sure it would be financially viable for someone else to take over right away. :(

Inquisitor Kallus
12-07-2015, 13:51
I'm not sure what anyone could do with the licence at this point. It seems GW has mined the LOTR movies and books pretty thoroughly. I would think anyone else taking up the licence would just be rehashing what GW already did.

I suppose it might be possible to do a bit more thorough job with The Hobbit book and movies than GW did, but there would still need to be a lot of overplap.

Unless they did an entirely different sort of miniatures game? Not sure what that won't be though. Of course, even if someone picked up the miniatures game licence they still suffer from the pool of second hand GW miniatures still floating around, eroding any sales of new stuff. All in all, I'm just not sure it would be financially viable for someone else to take over right away. :(

Agreed. I left the company right before LOTR hit and went back in 2005 I think. It was a huge success for them but they werent prepared for it and didnt make the most of/do the best they could for all the new customers. People were just being sold box games and other stuff without having intros or being invited back. The excitement for the game died down a lot when the films had ended. I dont imagine it could ever be that popular again though different styles of Lotr liscenced games could make money for smaller companies, just nowhere near the level that GW were at during its peak.

Col. Tartleton
13-07-2015, 17:08
There will always be a market for miniatures from Middle Earth. I mean isn't that what started this whole non historical branch of war gaming.

Smooth Boy
14-07-2015, 02:54
Well that's what I think, it's the progenitor of all these fantasy games. Someone must be willing to pick it up in some capacity.

Jind_Singh
15-07-2015, 18:32
I doubt anyone will pick it up like that...

- Hey day has long past and gone
- No more movie support
- Hobbit release was not as successful as LOTR

This may be harder to keep around like Blood Bowl for e.g. which is a GW owned game, not 3rd party license, and as such even a living rule book may be out.

If a 3rd party came in to take up the gauntlet I'd expect a brand new type of game/minis/scale as how else will they cash in on the franchise.

GW has mined the mines pretty dry with the franchise - it would be a brave and outside the box type company who can relaunch a successful game line.

DoubleDark
20-07-2015, 21:23
I played LOTR SBG a lot. I really liked the game, quite fast paced, low model cost ect was very nice. However the game was very broken, the wound chart was silly; even the stringest characters would need atleast 4s to wound and most battles would boil down to "who could get the most 6s" I mean literally everything is about "6's" roll a six and you win the combat, roll a six and you kill the model, roll a six and you pass your courage, fate ect. Dont get me wrong, I had great fun with the game and have 2 1000 point armies but I mean GW did an awful job at maintaining the LOTR game, limited model choices and very little variation between armies, that's why it died really, its a huge shame though, the models were beautiful and the LOTR fluff is absolutely brilliant with 6 films, 5 books ect but as most people on this thread have already agreed its time is unfortunately at an end :/

I feel for you man, maybe one day a company will buy up the license and make a revolutionary game.

It isn't impossible! The second age of middle earth was almost untouched! Hardly any models were made and there is a huge amount of creative potential here, only the elves, orcs and men of Numenor were every really well described in the books therefore there could be a lot of new "made up soldiers" could be good, could be great! could never happen...

We just have to keep wishing ;)

isthatnew?
21-07-2015, 10:35
I've heard rumours that the Perry twins with backing from Peter Jackson will take over the licence from GW. The Perrys sculpted almost all of the range and PJ is a table top fan, the Perrys sculpt 54mm WW1 Anzac figures for PJ as one offs for his own gaming. Now I'm not sure I believe this myself but I can see the logic in it as far as a rumour goes it's very neat.

I have are a bag of salt in the cupboard at home for just these kind of rumours ;)

Jobu
21-07-2015, 20:22
I played LOTR SBG a lot. I really liked the game, quite fast paced, low model cost ect was very nice. However the game was very broken, the wound chart was silly; even the stringest characters would need atleast 4s to wound and most battles would boil down to "who could get the most 6s" I mean literally everything is about "6's" roll a six and you win the combat, roll a six and you kill the model, roll a six and you pass your courage, fate ect. Dont get me wrong, I had great fun with the game and have 2 1000 point armies but I mean GW did an awful job at maintaining the LOTR game, limited model choices and very little variation between armies, that's why it died really, its a huge shame though, the models were beautiful and the LOTR fluff is absolutely brilliant with 6 films, 5 books ect but as most people on this thread have already agreed its time is unfortunately at an end :/

I feel for you man, maybe one day a company will buy up the license and make a revolutionary game.

It isn't impossible! The second age of middle earth was almost untouched! Hardly any models were made and there is a huge amount of creative potential here, only the elves, orcs and men of Numenor were every really well described in the books therefore there could be a lot of new "made up soldiers" could be good, could be great! could never happen...

We just have to keep wishing ;)

Well, the problem is this: the game is usually over once one army reaches 50%( according to most scenarios, but not all), so killing too fast( i.e. killing on 3+ on average) would make the game go by too quickly. Playing an army with about 50-60 units (roughly 1000 points) would be over in 30 minutes.

Most people used to complain that the Legions of Middle Earth scenarios took too long to maneuver into H2H combat. Armies typically started within 6 inches of the table edge. Most scenarios now have armies start withing 12 inches of the center line. Also, some armies were very powerful with shooting ( elves ). This was fixed by nerfing the to hit value and eliminating volley fire.

Personally I do not mind the shooting nerf, but starting so close together really cuts down on the ability to use terrain to your advantage ( half of it is behind you ) and the power of out flanking your opponent. Kind of hurts cavalry too.

Avian
21-07-2015, 21:28
I would not be surprised if some game company picks up the rights and makes a board game with miniatures, in the same manner as Imperial Assault or Zombicide. I'd be very surprised if anyone puts out an actual wargame as such.

mdauben
22-07-2015, 00:30
There are already several Boardgamers for LOTR and the Hobbit, at least one of which uses miniatures (War of the Ring by Ares Games).

From a Galaxy far, far away...

EagleWarrior
22-07-2015, 17:44
I'm not sure I see anything more to do. They can't really add anything more that isn't in the films. It's kinda the problem with a wargame set in a pre-existing world (or indeed a historical period), once you've made all the things, there's nothing more to do. It doesn't stop people playing or anything, but I think now we've had all of the LotR and Hobbit films and are unlikely to get any Silmarillion films, that's probably it for new models in the series. Not that that stops anybody playing of-course.

lonelybrick
26-07-2015, 18:12
@eaglewarrior there are loads of things they've never made models for this time around. The iron hills dwarfs with king billy Connelly for a start bud.

KurganFr
27-07-2015, 00:42
I guess I missed the boat with the LOTR SBG, having been too busy collecting WHFB, but if the Perry brothers picked up the licence and produced some new starter or army sets I would definitely get involved.