PDA

View Full Version : First Turn Charges

rolly_321
12-07-2015, 05:54
I noticed that deamons of slanesh are entirely capable of pulling off a turn one charge.

Seekers deployed on the edge of the deployment zone with a herald nearby can move forward 14' then run 2d6+1 (so on average 8') are allowed to charge on the same turn (also with +1 to distance). This means they are litterly capable of charging any they are direct across from even if that unit is place up against their board edge on a standard 48' table.

Has anyone come across any other such turn 1 charge units? Given that they have no unit size cap it's a little ridiculous.

gutsmaka
12-07-2015, 15:47
if you put seekers in the formation they get 15" movement...and yes, other large flying things, such as the necrosphinx have 26" charges, so they could technically get 1st turn charges off too

Flipmode
13-07-2015, 08:18
A little ridiculous, but there is not such a big advantage in charging in AoS.

stegadonshepherd
13-07-2015, 08:31
A little ridiculous, but there is not such a big advantage in charging in AoS.

Well there is if you hold a lance...and suddenly you +1 to wound and +1 damage...

madden
13-07-2015, 09:43
And your unit is then on its own unsupported and will be toast quite quickly. Its good for the shock value but as a tactic not so much. (Unless they kill a high damage or linch pin unit.)

rolly_321
13-07-2015, 13:13
The ability to counter deploy them against a shooting unit or piece of artillery is pretty good tactical advantage in my mind.

It's not the charging itself that makes the difference. It's the ability to dictate the game. AoS is still a movement game. T1 charges (along with the range to basically pick whatever unit you want and charge it because nothing is out of range) gives that player the capacity to own the movement phase.

SimaoSegunda
13-07-2015, 19:32
But then, your opponent can always use a screening unit to protect his vulnerable shooty units.

Spiney Norman
21-07-2015, 16:17
Any army that can summon is capable of pulling off a T1 charge, summon a unit, place it 9" away from any enemy unit, charge in the charge phase. Ok so hoping for a charge distance of 9+" is a bit of a long shot, but it's certainly not impossible.

SimaoSegunda
22-07-2015, 01:59
Indeed. I think it's no coincidence that the new Gryph-hound has a 10" range on it's "Warning Cry" ability.

aquietfrog
23-07-2015, 06:05
High Elf Ellyrian Reavers have a maximum potential of a 38" charge.

Neckutter
23-07-2015, 07:35
Bretonnians have Pegasus knights, which are crazy far chargers too.

EagleWarrior
23-07-2015, 14:02
I've known gaming groups to ban first turn charges even if you can achieve the distance. Also, if you don't want to be charged, deploy further back in your deployment zone. Nobody says you have to deploy at the front.

madden
23-07-2015, 14:28
Tomb king skelley horses can do a first turn 12 move run and charge not that reliable and id wait till turn 2 where there chariots can join the fun. The chariots are brutal on the charge though sheer numbers of attacks.

EagleWarrior
23-07-2015, 15:53
Tomb king skelley horses can do a first turn 12 move run and charge not that reliable and id wait till turn 2 where there chariots can join the fun. The chariots are brutal on the charge though sheer numbers of attacks.

I've been the recipient of that chariot charge quite a few times as my wife fields a tooled up chariot unit with tomb prince, and it's nasty. In 7th they could move into a flanking positions in the movement phase and then charge in the magic phase. The took that out in 8th, which was rather a relief to my poor Empire spearmen. :p

TheKingInYellow
23-07-2015, 20:55
High Elf Ellyrian Reavers have a maximum potential of a 38" charge.

While shooting three times per model.

rolly_321
25-07-2015, 11:27
I think the problem with T1 charges isn't the damage of the charge but its effect on the movement phase. Movement has been and still is the most important phase of the game. The ability to charge T1 give one player the ability to distinctly dominate the movement phase.

The ability to T1 charge doesn't mean you HAVE to charge. The ability itself is enough, along with units that can snipe other units and have the movement to circumvent screens etc has a profound effect on the game mechanic.. although this is AoS so there's isn't really much of a game mechanic anyway.

rolly_321
25-07-2015, 11:27
Woops double post