PDA

View Full Version : Honest Question: How will future releases of AoS work?

DonkeyMan
12-07-2015, 09:03
Hi Guys, I'm sorry I was trying to find any info on this but wasn't successful at all (maybe I'm just bad at finding info).

How will future releases of AoS actually work? :confused:
If I understand correctly GW plans to keep evolving the story (like Warmahordes). So will we see a similar format where we get new army books introducing new armies and at the same time move the fluff forward?
Or are we going to see more boxes like the Age of Sigmar starter box with two oposing armies been released together each time and also moving the fluff forward?
Or is it that we simply don't know yet and that's why I couldn't find any info?

Thanks a million in advance guys!

Ghachii
12-07-2015, 09:20
I don't think we know exactly, but reading the runes it looks to me like we may be looking at themed campaign books that each include new units for multiple factions, rather than individual books for each army covering all of the units available to them that stays static throughout the lifetime of this 'edition'. Something like the old WHFB Lustria book I would guess.

Personally I think that would be a great way to go, as everyone will get new toys to play with on a regular basis, rather than a massive dump of new stuff for your army once every 5 years.

DonkeyMan
12-07-2015, 09:46
Guess we'll have to wait and see then.

Personally I wouldn't mind some kind of narrative boxsets with two new armies each in there.
The advantage there would be that you would get two new balanced armies (balanced towards each other and hopefully towards the previous armies) at a decent enough price.

I'm tempted to give AoS a go, but the prices of individual units do turn me off a bit right now.

Ghachii
12-07-2015, 10:02
Yeah, TBH if anything was going to put me off it would be the prices. But that said, you need far fewer models than the old WHFB armies required, and you don't have to pay the full GW price either if you buy from independent stockists or ebay.

I'd be surprised if we don't see more narrative box sets, as GW seem to have been enjoying some success with that approach for 40K, and it seems like an even better fit for AoS.

DonkeyMan
12-07-2015, 10:30
Yeah, narrative boxes could work great with AoS.

In regard to the prices. If I get into AoS, I would actually only use the new AoS miniatures and I would be happy to keep the armies small. So I should be okay there (even if the minis are still pricey).
Besides due to time constraints, I'm quite happy to keep my armies small and probably are therefore intersted into AoS as well and am not so negative towards it.

Thanks again!

Kherith
12-07-2015, 10:36
It seems like future releases will be linked to story progressing campaign books I don't think army books will be released at all. Periodic box sets doesn't sound far fetched at all.

I suspect each book will accompany release waves for the two main protagonist factions e.g. Duardin Tzeentch plus battle for Chamon book, maybe Duardin Tzeentch box set.

DonkeyMan
12-07-2015, 10:52
That would actually work well for me. I would keep buying the boxes (probably just the boxes) and by that I would have an managable amount of miniatures that I can paint and at the same time read the progress on the fluff.
On top of that, I would have a nice diversity of miniatures to paint (instead of hordes of Skaven slaves or Night Goblins only like in the past). ;)

NatBrannigan
12-07-2015, 11:19
I'd have to say that future releases WON'T work... My group was split on AoS, half hating it after a few games and the other half thinking it would be ok to play now and then. So an unexpected (for me anyway...) success(ish) so far. The entire of the optimistic half of the group are no longer interested after seeing the prices of the new miniatures. 120 for 20 figures!? Really...?

Alas, it's doomed...

DonkeyMan
12-07-2015, 11:43
Yeah, those seem overpriced (even if they are quite big models). It's a pity to see GW still making some if the same mistakes.
You're right, the prices could hurt the way the future releases will work (or might even change the way they release future content) and I'm happy to discuss prices.

But just to prevent this turning into a flamewar (we sadly have enough of those). My thread was purely meant to get info how GW plans to release future content and maybe discuss the pro and cons as nicely as possible (not always that easy with something people are passionate about).

But as I said, you do have a valid point. Too high prices might very well have a dire effect on AoS releases. Therefore I'm really hoping for narrative boxes where you actually get a decent deal for your money.

Renfield286
12-07-2015, 12:03
given that the rules for the units will be "in box" I think they will release periodical X vs Y boxsets and progress the story with a mixture of novellas & with material printed in WD.

DonkeyMan
12-07-2015, 12:10
They just be careful not to split too much content over too much media, so people might then having a hard time getting all the rules together.
Warmahordes is doing it well, where you get rules and fluff in the No Quarter and that will be collated in a book release later.

Though if GW does the whole download rules well and create some kind of living rulebook, they might actually have a nice formula of success there.

Wintermute
12-07-2015, 12:31
In regard to the prices.

Any and all discussion of pricing is off-topic and is restricted to this thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?209297-Games-Workshop-Pricing-Feedback-Thread).

Wintermute

heavyheart
12-07-2015, 12:33
I'd expect scenario books every couple of months, and I wouldn't expect them to be compatible with old armies.

GrandmasterWang
12-07-2015, 12:42
I definitely see another box set with 2 AOS armies coming in the future. Another 96 page book in it with their Warscrolls and the advancement in background.

Currently the AOS story goes from the boxset to the new 200+page book they just released. This is all set on Sigmars world with them fighting for the ability to travel to other worlds. The logical progression is for the next box set to be following the story for the next world they travel to

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Risegreymon
12-07-2015, 14:01
For one, I am looking forward to new CHARACTERS.

The old WFB heroes/ monsters/ generals etc. became very stale after 30 odd years. I hope the writers use the opportunity to breathe life into their unique races with fresh characters with rich fluff and cool weapon options.

roperpg
12-07-2015, 14:18
Objectively, the fluff is pretty much set up for on-going development.
In the Old World things were in a permanent state of teetering on the cliff edge - and in the end times sequence, when Chaos won, everything ended, which is pretty much the only way it had to go.
By moving to the 9-realms setting and a D-day style plot (Chaos occupies 8 realms, pockets of resistance, in come the allies to help push them back) it becomes far easier to advance the time line without writing yourself into a corner.

As for the minis - you're simply collecting the things you want / like, as opposed to having to buy x*2, y*4 & z to fill out your 2400pt list, so pricing concerns are a bit different.
Also bear in mind these are almost terminator-sized minis, and the range is pretty similar - we'll have to wait and see what the 'normal' scale minis are like.

I quite like that idea, I can guarantee others won't.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

TheFang
12-07-2015, 14:37
As for the minis - you're simply collecting the things you want / like, as opposed to having to buy x*2, y*4 & z to fill out your 2400pt list, so pricing concerns are a bit different.

Since the only way to play a balanced playtested game is to play a scenario you now have to buy the units for the scenario. This is, of course, more restrictive and expensive than the old points system.

roperpg
12-07-2015, 14:57
Since the only way to play a balanced playtested game is to play a scenario you now have to buy the units for the scenario. This is, of course, more restrictive and expensive than the old points system.
As long as you're right, of course.
But I doubt it.

Herzlos
12-07-2015, 16:10
I can see it being like Stormclaw and the like - limited run box sets with 2 'balanced' armies and maybe some special rules. Maybe a box every 6 months that advances the story a bit. Loads of pricey filler units in between releases.

DonkeyMan
12-07-2015, 16:52
I'll probably wait a small bit. I'll see what else might/will come out first, before I decide if I'll get AoS.
If they really do narrative boxes and I like what I see I might get the starter set once we see the first previews of the first expansion box.

If they keep just keep releasing single units, I'll probably will not get AoS (except if I get it cheap).

Thanks again everyone for the answers and thanks Wintermute for not closing the thread down! :yes: