PDA

View Full Version : how long do you find it takes you to adjust to a new army?

WarsmithGarathor94
12-07-2015, 18:18
Just wondering how long do you find it takes you to adjust to using a new army. Ive played 5 games with daemonkin so far and while im.glad gw has finally made it possible to do a marine or.pure daemon or mix of both assault based army atleast playable im still having to remind myself i am not.playing my death guard lol.

Xantalora
12-07-2015, 20:02
It depends on which adjust.

Playing with a new Army (in the case at hand my Mechanicum) to a point were I automatically set up, and play through the right way, without subconsciously sticking back to the playstil of one of my other Armys (case in point my Imperiale Guard) took me about half a year with about two to three games a months.

Adjusting to a new Army to play against normally takes my two to three games against set Army, after an accompanying careful study of the relevant Codex of about a week.

I think in this regard it also have to be mentioned that you also have to adapt to the specific playstil of your opponent, as no two gamer play exactly the same. (in my experience not even at tournaments with similar lists)

insectum7
12-07-2015, 20:18
Playing with a new Army (in the case at hand my Mechanicum) to a point were I automatically set up, and play through the right way, without subconsciously sticking back to the playstil of one of my other Armys (case in point my Imperiale Guard) took me about half a year with about two to three games a months.

That's similar for me as well, takes months before I really feel confident about how I'm running things. Changing play styles within a codex can take less time, but still on the order of a few months. New books too. I'll probably be adjusting to the new Marine book for another month or two.

For me it starts with a list idea or theme, and a collection of key elements in it. The rest of the list is built conservatively around that theme, but then slowly adjusts over a long-ish period of time. I only adopted Drop Pods during sixth edition, but once I did I had to learn to support their units effectively, swap weapons around to deal with different threats, and figure out which units I could streamline and which units I could adjust or add to. Then the lists I play against change over time a new books come out, or players join or leave the club. More adjustments to react to all those changes, and the cycle continues.

WarsmithGarathor94
12-07-2015, 20:20
indeed this book is such a shock to my system.because while i did play agressive with my death guard i still had a decent shooting phase and psyker support but with daemonkin im having to adjust to a full out bum rush style of play

Greavous
16-07-2015, 08:16
so far ive played 10 games with my tau 0W/2D/8L and every game ive either lost by alot of points or almost been tabled, i can only play once a week so its hard to practice much.
but comparativly my old chaos army had 3W/1D/1L so maybe its just the units and choices, but id say im a long way off learning my army, most people at my club played 30+ games before they got a win.

Losing Command
16-07-2015, 10:52
To be able to play it semi-effectively: as long as I need to read the rules in the codex :D It takes a handfull of games before I remember all the special rules you have to keep in mind, and how to play it most effectively against everything. But there is always room for improvement.

Snake Tortoise
16-07-2015, 13:48
I'm a slow painter and love reading tactics articles and any discussion relevant to the codex I'm working with (and against) so as I finish painting units I'm set on fielding I've usually already got a good idea what to expect from them and how I plan to use them. It might be another story if I fielded stuff before painting.

Denny
16-07-2015, 15:23
I mainly play Dark Eldar.

Adjusting to another army is therefore fairly easy, because I can make mistakes with other armies and not instantly have my units removed from the table. ;)

WarsmithGarathor94
17-07-2015, 16:26
I mainly play Dark Eldar.

Adjusting to another army is therefore fairly easy, because I can make mistakes with other armies and not instantly have my units removed from the table. ;)

I know the feeling I also used to play DE lol

Dr.Clock
17-07-2015, 17:48
I think it's really army-specific... or at least mostly.

More precisely, I think transition between armies generally takes less effort the more times you do it, but is also affected by the 'ease of play' of the new army, and how similar it is in play style to your older forces.

I took the plunge into Daemonkin about 2 years ago, and the transition was relatively painless, first because I had already been using the army as an aggressive CC-heavy infantry Loyalist force, second because I played Sallies - a close-range aggressive mechanized force, and third because I also play DE and CWE.

Daemonkin in particular aren't particularly 'deep' strategy-wise - if you build your list for efficiency and stick with the 'plan' of smashing face as quickly and constantly as you can, the Lord of Skulls is pleased.

Garathor - I know that you're coming to Khorne by way of Nurgle, and really those two styles are surprisingly different IMO - it's basically the difference between an immovable object and an unstoppable force - learning to use Daemonkin, you need to forget about pretty much any static units, and advance, advance, advance to keep the pressure up and cover the distance. Nurgle, on the other hand, can and does get by through sheer resilience, and actually excels more in the 'come at me bro' style of play, throwing firepower at long and close range, and simply laughing off all but the most concerted attacks.

That said, they ARE both Chaos Marine armies at heart, and BOTH have significant access to FnP, so in general the units share some qualities. The real trickiness for Daemonkin comes from needing to build your list, and play each turn, with the objective of getting enough Tithe points to get and keep those bonuses.

I also know you've been playing smallish games... I think KDK do best above 1500 points, where you can start to both small, disposable Tithe sacrifice units (2-3x8 cultists and 1 or more units of lone spawn is my go-to), and the bigger, faster, beatstick units to crush your enemies (minimum 2 maulers IMO, plus Lord/Hounds and/or Spawn bodyguard).

Anyway - stick with it... there are few things so rewarding in this hobby as learning how to play a new and different style.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

WarsmithGarathor94
17-07-2015, 18:18
I agree it does seem to be built with bigger games in mind om going to be commuting heresy against khorne tomorrow and allying some noise marines in

Dr.Clock
17-07-2015, 18:25
lol... I had the idea of making counts-as Noise Marines as the old 'Khorne's Teeth' Berzerkers - marines all armed with Daemon Forged Heavy Bolters or whatever... I DO still think that Khorne should have a decent shooty infantry unit. My biggest hope for KDK was that they'd finally give Berzerkers access to at least flamers... Remember Skalathrax? Anyone? Bueller?

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.