PDA

View Full Version : Warlord Titan Scenarios

Hellix_The_Thanatar
12-07-2015, 21:39
Hey all I could use some help brainstorming.

I was contemplating picking up the warlord and was thinking about actual FUN games to use it in and not the utter trouncing it would typically do in apoc vs anything not Eldar.

I was considering a campaign designed around it's weapons getting assembled into the manufactorum, Where if the mechanicum side wins = another cannon for the warlord building it up. Losing the match would lead to it being gimped/having less armor hull points and weapons ect. The weapons would be on the table and can be destroyed by troops during the campaign by getting into base to base with the weapon and dropping a specialized time bomb on it that the mechanicum still have a chance to deactivate. The start of the campaign I have kinda roughed out it's the end I need help with.

What would be an epic ending? Assuming the warlord is assembled with at least a couple weapons (it will default to a single CC weapon and no shoulder weapons if mechanicum lose every game leading up to it's build and have full armament of laser destroyers and cannons or whatever I want it equipped with if mechanicum wins every game).

I was thinking there could be like a 'network of energy' fueling this warlord and dropping a node means the warlord takes damage faster (1 node = void shields down, 2 nodes = weapons have get hot rule, 3 nodes warlord loses immunity to haywire and melta ect.). Should the warlord just be essentially seeking to survive and blow away it's enemies?

What are some of your scenarios that you have thought of for using a Warlord besides just smashing faces in Apoc?

agurus1
12-07-2015, 21:47
Boarding action... Seriously, whilst playing an apoc game have a smaller Zone Mortalis type table that represents the insides of the warlord. Have a team or two of models trying to rush around causing havoc (disarming the targeting computer, or the void shield generator, ect...). They could have been infiltrated inboard or airdropped onto the battlements, maybe even micro-teleported into it via some dark age relic!

Hellix_The_Thanatar
12-07-2015, 22:10
Boarding action... Seriously, whilst playing an apoc game have a smaller Zone Mortalis type table that represents the insides of the warlord. Have a team or two of models trying to rush around causing havoc (disarming the targeting computer, or the void shield generator, ect...). They could have been infiltrated inboard or airdropped onto the battlements, maybe even micro-teleported into it via some dark age relic!

This is gold. Awesome suggestion. Lol I just imaged using the assassin game in conjunction with an apoc game but instead of a sorcerer that's the head of the warlord and they are trying to assassinate the pilots!

insectum7
13-07-2015, 03:36
Speaking of boarding, I would consider something involving custom rules for the "Corvus Assault Pod" which was a device used instead of a regular weapon on a Warlord Titan back in the day. The Assault Pod was a huge battering ram resembling a boarding torpedo, that the Warlord could slam into things and disgorge a unit or two of Terminators into it, like a building. Some mission that requires the Warlord to approach a strongpoint and deliver a unit of Terminators. A game type where you don't have to kill the titan, just slow it down so you can get defenses in place, or damage the arm somehow.

Hellix_The_Thanatar
13-07-2015, 05:50
Speaking of boarding, I would consider something involving custom rules for the "Corvus Assault Pod" which was a device used instead of a regular weapon on a Warlord Titan back in the day. The Assault Pod was a huge battering ram resembling a boarding torpedo, that the Warlord could slam into things and disgorge a unit or two of Terminators into it, like a building. Some mission that requires the Warlord to approach a strongpoint and deliver a unit of Terminators. A game type where you don't have to kill the titan, just slow it down so you can get defenses in place, or damage the arm somehow.

This is a really cool concept again, strutting through something like a vortex mine field to deliver terminator goodness to a stronghold whilst defenses are being bolstered.

MarcoSkoll
14-07-2015, 01:54
Well, it's not a Warlord, but I've had quite a few years thinking about exactly how I might put my 54mm scale Warhound to use when it's finished (well, it is mostly a display piece, but I can't not use it in a few Inquisitor games) and some of those thoughts might transfer over.

While 40k doesn't normally have the luxury of putting the Warlord in the hands of an impartial Gamesmaster, I wonder if there's a way of getting interesting options out of a three or four way scenario. If two or three players weren't necessarily allied, but were all under threat from the player with the Warlord, that would present it much more of a fight... and could lead to some interesting back-stabbing gameplay.

Beyond that, one of the most fundamental things will be making scenarios where the objective(s) are something other than killing the Warlord (or the Warlord killing everything). Certainly, mass murder may be a means to an end, but if you give players something else to focus on, making the Warlord a threat rather than an objective, then its killing power is a less direct asset.
For bonus points, make it an objective the Warlord can't personally complete. This should force it to rely on and assist its supporting troops.

You'll also benefit from lots of terrain. While the Warlord may not be able to hide behind much, the bald Apocalypse tables I see some people using offer barely any shadow zones to enemy forces. Lots of terrain also offers you a chance to penalise collateral damage. Certainly, the Warlord can easily turn a building and all the enemies in it into molten slag, but if the objective is to take the city intact (although I'd definitely make some buildings worth more than others), then target selection could become pretty interesting.

Actually, a scenario like "take the city" covers several points - it means lots of terrain, gives both players an objective other than just killing each other and forces certain units to watch their fire.