PDA

View Full Version : Is what you see what you get ?

Griffin
05-07-2006, 07:12
Hi Guys - just wondering your oppinion of this.

Lets say I have a squad of 7 CSM and 1 Aspiring champion.

The Models are armed with the following:

Champion: Powerfist + Plasma pistol
Heavy Bolter Marine
Plasma Gun Marine
Chainsword and Bolt Pistol
Chainsword and Bolt Pistol
3x Marines armed with normal Bolters.

Now I state that the squad consists of the following in my list:

Marine armed with heavy bolter
Marine armed with Plasma Gun
Aspiring champion with Plasma pistol and Power fist.
5x others armed with Bolters.

Would you say that this was wrong? The way I see it is that CSM are not really a unified and identically equipt squads like SM tend to be, so it seems totally reasonable to me that one or 2 might favour close combat while still being part of a regular squad. It could be that they are on their way to becoming bezerkers or something similiar.

Would you guys nitpick something like this If I was to play against you with a squad like this ?

The Dude
05-07-2006, 07:19
I'd be cool with it if the guys with Chainswords actually HAD Bolters. Nothing wrong with a Bolter CCW armed Chaos Marine. It's easy to do too :D.

I just think it would avoid arguments, especially as Chaos Marines DO have the option for either in the same squad. This is, of course only REALLY an issue if you're going to a tourny ;).

Griffin
05-07-2006, 07:37
Nah - I don't have much of a player base here in ZA so I have to be extra carefull about what I do. I just started recently and have yet to play my first game, but i have watched 2 other guys play and this seemed to be a bit of a issue.

The Dude
05-07-2006, 07:39
Best to err on the side of caution then. Cut off the Bolt Pistols and whack on some Bolters. That way, they're all armed the same, but you can still show how these individuals have a preference for up-close work :evilgrin:.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
05-07-2006, 07:47
Just tell your opponent what they are armed with. Is the same with my Firewarriors. When I built them, only 50% of the squad could have Pulse Carbines, so I made all of my guys up with Rifles, and only a coupe of Carbines. Now of course whole squads can have Carbines, so I often proxy.

macbeth
05-07-2006, 07:52
The CCweapons are not a problem, as all chaos marines have one. But it is true that it can be confusing for them to have a pistol when the actually have a bolter in your list.

As long as your opponent knows it, I don't see any problem, but I am very liberal as far as WYSIWYG is concerned ( and many other things in the game, BTW)...

Colonel_Kreitz
05-07-2006, 09:26
This is kind of opponent's preference. If you're playing someone very stringent (or an *******) then he or she might have a problem with it.

However, I find such cases to be heavily in the minority. Provided you tell your opponent what they're actually armed with, I don't think there's a problem. The key is just ensuring your opponent knows (usually, before deployment, I lay out my units and, if I have any, go over all my WYSIWYG violations with my opponent to make sure he's okay with it).

Brush your teeth
05-07-2006, 09:30
remember you can have a mix of weapons in the squad, so you could have guys armed with bolt pistol and cc weapon. perfectly fine with the rules that way, but if you want to use bolters, its best to give the model a bolter too.

Griffin
05-07-2006, 09:40
Thanx - it ws just that my first marine squad I bought I kitted out like that, and was wondering about it. hmmm maby I will turn those into aspiring champions and then just build a bunch of bolter marines for them to lead.

macbeth
05-07-2006, 10:40
Or buy another box of CSM, and make most with CC weapons and two with bolters, so that you have two squads: a tactical squad and an assault squad!

Griffin
05-07-2006, 10:58
I use my Bezerkers for Assault - For some reason CC Marines that arn't dedicated assualt troops just rubs me wrong. I like to sjoooot stuff.