PDA

View Full Version : Massacre (serial by ADB)

13-07-2015, 15:10
Part One: promising.

nagash66
13-07-2015, 15:16
Any idea what its focus is? Legions, period of the heresy, general plot arch?

jareddm3
13-07-2015, 16:39
It's basically what the main cast of Night Lords, 10th company were up to during the Heresy.

nagash66
13-07-2015, 19:10
Sounds good.

DarkChaplain
13-07-2015, 19:36
You don't even need the "Warhammer App" to read it. BL just post their blog entries on the site as if they were app-exclusive now, it seems.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/new-at-bl

Fen
14-07-2015, 16:09
Chapter 2 is up

15-07-2015, 18:13
Novel-worthy (even perhaps codex-worthy) details about the NL in this short so far (parts 1-3). I'm sure NL fans will be pleased.

Graeme
16-07-2015, 09:59
Been the best Heresy content since Betrayer

Hannimar
16-07-2015, 13:41
Great read, can't wait for more. ADB at his best!

MiyamatoMusashi
16-07-2015, 14:30
How many parts will it be, total? I'll probably read it all in one go when they're all available.

Deepsix81
16-07-2015, 15:35
Hate to be the **** in the punch bowl, but what has been written that is worthy of this praise? All 3 of the chapters have been pretty forgettable.
What am I missing?

Fen
16-07-2015, 15:56
Hate to be the **** in the punch bowl, but what has been written that is worthy of this praise?

The info that NLs REALLY like firing their ships' cannons at things

And i mean ultramarine "we'll remember everyone we are the best" or IH's "cogscogscogscogsrandombinary" level of love
:D

Mob
16-07-2015, 22:00
Hate to be the **** in the punch bowl, but what has been written that is worthy of this praise? All 3 of the chapters have been pretty forgettable.
What am I missing?
I liked the first part a lot. The image of the assembled NL sniggering at the Emperor joke and Malcharion's 'irritated teacher' response was gold. The nugget about the non-legion fleet elements being wasted was good. The rest of it has just been comfy-tier. Seeing the characters again is nice, even if parts 3 and 4 weren't all that. Aaron writes gud, basically.

Scribe of Khorne
17-07-2015, 02:13
Its a free piece of text (no audio, kthx) about characters many of us already enjoyed, and its set in the Heresy.

Did I mention its free and not an audio? :p

nagash66
17-07-2015, 11:55
Its free, it concerns a popular legion, its by a popular author, about a popular event in a popular era.

Of course its going to be popular.

MiyamatoMusashi
17-07-2015, 20:16
Just read this, all in one go (serialisation? Yah boo sucks).

Some background: huge fan of ADB as an author (I remember For the Fallen, one of those 1000-word micro-shorts they did for a special occasion; every other author phoned it in, ADB's effort brought actual tears to my eyes... in just a thousand words!), huge fan of his Night Lords books in particular, huge fan of Talos and First Claw. And while I have the greatest respect for ADB's decision not to keep featuring them in his 30K novels (unlike, say, Graham McNeill, who seems to be treating much of the Horus Heresy as not much more than a prequel to his 40K Iron Warriors books), I can't deny there was a little tingle of excitement to get a small glimpse of what First Claw were up to during the Heresy.

All that said, this one fell a little flat, for me.

I can't quite put my finger on why. Talos' curse was alluded to quite nicely, and the final, poetic line of the story set that up loud and clear. Celebrity cameos from Primus, and First Claw, might normally have felt out of place but they were literally the whole reason for this story so that doesn't apply. There were moments of sardonic humour ("The Emperor?") and flashes of that fraternal chemistry that made First Claw so memorable... not friends, never that, but brothers, with all the connotations that that brings. But it just felt... stale.

Perhaps, in part, it's because it reminded me of the silly retcon they made to the Night Lords plot recently (I don't even remember in which book - TUE?). To tell the truth, I'm not even sure if it really counts as a 'retcon', or whether we all just assumed the Night Lords were sent to Isstvan V pretty much straight after Nostramo. Now - perhaps all along, though it never seemed that way - there's more than twenty years between those events! And that retroactively devalues The Dark King, for a long time one of my favourite BL stories (so... y'know... Graham McNeill's not all bad ;)), where Curze and his Legion made the decision that the Imperium wasn't really for them. We all assumed, or I did anyway, that after the destruction of Nostramo they went rogue - not renegade, not traitor, but rogue - but were ordered to go to Isstvan V anyway, because four traitor Legions was considered a bigger problem than one Primarch throwing a strop. Instead, we find out that the ending of The Dark King just glossed over and ignored the entire NL fleet getting surrounded and captured, and Curze getting imprisoned (again - having just murdered his way out of one prison) and leashed (again - having just decided that he does not have a place in his father's Imperium), and for two decades the Night Lords meekly pretended to be under control, having already decided once not to pretend any more. I just don't buy it, at all, and it makes The Dark King look bad, and it would surely have been better never to declare that that was how it was.

But that complaint, although I've wasted a whole tl;dr paragraph on it, isn't even a big part of this story, just a couple of minor throwaway comments. Perhaps the problem is that there doesn't seem to much that is a big part of this story. Part One, the Night Lords are ordered to Isstvan. Two, a tiny reflection of the "who are they really" questions that the Night Lords books handled so much better. Three, the audience applaud and cheer because First Claw appear! Four, Talos' chest eagle gets cracked. Five, Talos chats to Primus... and then, admittedly, that final, powerful line, but one line does not a story make. Most of it is just... nothing. I get that the story was meant to draw people in for the Warhammer App (though I just read the BL blog...) and as the poster before me described clearly, a cameo of popular characters is probably as good a way to try to do that as any. It just seems like there isn't much story here. And its brevity is no excuse for that (again - For The Fallen), it just very much feels like a cameo for cameo's sake.

I mean, it's free, and it's not awful. I can't be too critical, nor too disappointed. The only thing it cost me was a few minutes' reading time, and at least now I know how Talos' chest eagle got cracked. But... there was a BBC adaptation of Casanova a couple of years back featuring David Tennant, and in one scene someone asks him how well he knows the woman he lusts after. He pauses, thinks, and says, "well... she lives in Venice... her father is very wealthy... her birthday is in July", or something like that. "No!" he's scolded, "those are just facts about her. How well do you really know her?" This is like that. I now know how Talos' chest eagle got cracked, and when his curse took hold. But I don't actually know him, or First Claw, or the Night Lords or anything, any better after reading this. And that, I think, is where this falls short as a story. I know a couple of facts I did not know before. So what?

Dead.Blue.Clown
17-07-2015, 22:44
--Snip--

I agree. But I wrote 5 snapshot vignettes, I didn't know it would be marketed (insofar as you can market anything free) as "a Horus Heresy story".

It was five daily snapshot scenes into a few of the Night Lords characters back 'before they were famous', so to speak, with some hopefully resonant connective tissue to the Night Lords Series (which you totally picked up on, as have many others. Phew.)

I did a hell of a double-take when I saw "HH:" in front of the title, but as five separate vignettes with some connective nods for the readers of the NL series, I'm pretty pleased with it.

DarkChaplain
17-07-2015, 23:12
Didn't Kyme's Artefacts also make a point of Horus, the Khan(?) and Vulkan capturing Konrad after Nostramo, and then Horus made him fight beside Vulkan in an attempt to reform him. Don't think it stated any specific timeframe, though.

18-07-2015, 00:24
Having read ADB describing it a vignette, I didn't expect much. It lived up to my expectations, and in parts, exceeded them

'Viris colratha dath sethicara tesh dasovallian,’ Malcharion murmured in serpentine Nostraman. ‘Solruthis veh za jasz.’

Sons of our Father, stand in midnight clad. We bring the night.

There were no cheers, no solemn oaths, no roars of adrenaline-soaked readiness so common in other Legions. The Night Lords waited in the wake of their traditional words, staring into the darkness through primed target locks – some smiling, some dead-eyed, some silently baring their teeth in cannibal emotions that no mortal could know – all behind skull-marked faceplates.

Yes.

I am afraid that the discontinuities in HH lore is something we will have to live with (or not. Enthusiasm wanes with each "blunder"). I expect even more turbulence if, as rumored, the GW Studio enters 30K. But this is not that discussion again.

And, sure, you can market freebies. Even if there is no advertising involved in the delivery (there is), they are loss-leaders.

MiyamatoMusashi
18-07-2015, 07:03
as five separate vignettes with some connective nods for the readers of the NL series, I'm pretty pleased with it.

Fair enough.

Dead.Blue.Clown
18-07-2015, 15:10
Fair enough.

If I came across as arguing the point, that's not my intent. I agree with you, dude. As a story, I'd fight tooth and nail to keep it out of the Horus Heresy series, since that's not what it is or was ever intended to be.

bound for glory
18-07-2015, 16:50
can the parts be downloaded to my kindle?

MiyamatoMusashi
18-07-2015, 18:52
If I came across as arguing the point, that's not my intent. I agree with you, dude. As a story, I'd fight tooth and nail to keep it out of the Horus Heresy series, since that's not what it is or was ever intended to be.

Haha, don't worry... I meant literally that... fair enough, you explained the approach you'd taken... not "fair enough, if THAT'S your rubbish excuse" or anything like that!

18-07-2015, 21:38

For a collection of vignettes that were not supposed to be in the Heresy, for me they certainly helped illuminate the state of the NL just after they turned, with bonus hints of their rationale behind the destruction of Nostramo. Even if this was inadvertent, it paid off afaic.

bound for glory
19-07-2015, 18:54
i thought it was a fine short. i would have liked it downloaded on my kindle as i had a short flight and i like to read on trips, but it was good.

ADB continues to be THE MAN.

GrandmasterWang
20-07-2015, 04:04
For a freebie not bad at all....

Not bad at all

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Graeme
20-07-2015, 11:03
I thought the line about "not working well with others, hell, not even working well with themselves" was totally superb. Gave me a right little geek-on.

Spellfire
20-07-2015, 21:26
Is this available for download anywhere, other than the app?

acopp07
06-08-2015, 11:42

Sir, you are one of THEE best writers BL/GW haves... I re-read EMPERORS GIFT every chance I get. I look forward to the next paragraph you type out let alone a complete novel.

Thank you !!!!!