PDA

View Full Version : Will you spent your money on AoS ?

Drakkar du Chaos
13-07-2015, 17:34
We have talked a lot about AoS rules and miniatures so now : AoS money thread.

Previous replies here :
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?411445-Have-you-or-will-you-spent-your-money-on-AoS

Pacman
13-07-2015, 17:55
My group seem to have zero interest in AoS, so I guess that's a "no" from me. Tbh the balance of purchases I intend to make for fantasy armies are almost entirely for DoW, so it's not like I'd be spending with GW anyway. Maybe a few bits and pieces for my Lizardmen or for Mordheim.

HammerofThunor
13-07-2015, 17:58
Don't quite understand the question. When you say, yes and I will buy other stuff, do you mean other AoS stuff (and AoS means the boxed set), or do you mean other company stuff, or something else. I'm guessing you mean buy the boxed set and then more stuff when it comes out.

Lars Porsenna
13-07-2015, 18:01
I don't have a lot of interest in AoS. However, if GW were to release something that was obviously backwards compatable with previous versions of WHFB, I would consider it.

Damon.

carlospictor
13-07-2015, 18:02
Never really been into Warhammer fantasy, but I loved the idea of 4 pages of rules for easy pick-up (and importantly being able to play with my friends who aren't gamers). I picked up the boxed set on Saturday and have really enjoyed building all the models. I'm now really keen to get them painted up and have a few games). I'm also really excited to see what GW are releasing over the coming months.

At this point, I'm hooked and keen to see what happens!

evilsponge
13-07-2015, 18:13
Tried getting into 8th edition fantasy when the rules came out, but the cost of entry was just too high to get anything other than the starter box. Age of Sigmar fixed that, but unfortunately between the rules reading like they were written for baby's first wargame, and the models looking like space marines, I don't think I'll be playing 40k lite. Considering my FLGS has chosen to forgo ordering a stock of AoS, I think my local players feel the same.

SimaoSegunda
13-07-2015, 18:18
Never really been into Warhammer fantasy, but I loved the idea of 4 pages of rules for easy pick-up (and importantly being able to play with my friends who aren't gamers). I picked up the boxed set on Saturday and have really enjoyed building all the models. I'm now really keen to get them painted up and have a few games). I'm also really excited to see what GW are releasing over the coming months.

At this point, I'm hooked and keen to see what happens!

Delighted to hear it! At first I was iffy about getting the starter set, because the rules were free, and I have a ton of fantasy armies already, but I went down to help my FLGS with their demo day, and put a load of models together for them, and they really grew on me. I even thought before hand "stupid sigmarines look dumb, not interested", but actually, it's only the hammer and shield models I don't like, the rest appeal to me.

I share your enthusiasm to see future release waves!

Commisar
13-07-2015, 18:33
So far I have mail ordered round bases to re-base my chaos (largely deamon, some mortal) army.

ArgelTal
13-07-2015, 18:41
Already bought the starter as well as a box of Wrathmongers, Skarr Bloodwrath and an additional unit each of Prosecutors and Retributors from some guy who had them spare from a second copy of the starter set.

I'm hugely excited by the game. So weird, I've never been into fantasy before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DreadedOne
13-07-2015, 18:44
No. I hang out at two different places where people play in both Salem, and Eugene. From what I'm seeing from the people I'm starting t play with, most are sticking to 8th. Some are trying out the AoS, but a good 90 to 05% are just sticking with 8th so far.

tiger g
13-07-2015, 21:19
Yes Definitely. Giving me an excuse for the Chaos armies and figures. With ebay selling older models below cost it is a great way to start with this and still use my empire, lizards and skaven. (also can use some odd kits I picked up because I liked the models.) Love the game so far and excited with the next book.

Mithrilherz
13-07-2015, 21:49
Not one cent!

amysrevenge
13-07-2015, 21:51
I've already spent more $$$ directly on new GW products for AoS, including the starter box, two WDs, Gutrot Spume, a box of Putrid Blightkings, and a box of Khorne Wrathmongers, in the last 2 months than I did for 8th Ed (aka the only game I really played) in the last 3 years. I'm one of the secondary market/alternate company people they are trying to get some $$$ out of. Working so far.

Shandor
13-07-2015, 21:53
I see no reason why i should. Its no fun, its not really playable and i would have no one to play with... beside the store keeper..

Galain
13-07-2015, 22:06
Wow. I knew GW screwed the pooch when it came to AoS, but to the tune of losing 80% of their existing fanbase? Man.

Still Standing
13-07-2015, 22:08
AoS has inspired me to grow 2 armies. 8th Ed annoyed me to the point that I quit WFB. Now I am expanding my Chaos Dwarves and building my Tamurkhan's Horde army.

Theocracity
13-07-2015, 22:19
Wow. I knew GW screwed the pooch when it came to AoS, but to the tune of losing 80% of their existing fanbase? Man.

If only 60 odd people were playing in the first place they'd have even bigger problems....

Galain
13-07-2015, 22:24
If only 60 odd people were playing in the first place they'd have even bigger problems....

This is what we call a "sample size." The N is fairly small, but you're also looking at the segment of the fanbase most dedicated to the hobby. Which I imagine they will continue to be, just with companies besides GW.

Still Standing
13-07-2015, 22:28
This is what we call a "sample size." The N is fairly small, but you're also looking at the segment of the fanbase most dedicated to the hobby. Which I imagine they will continue to be, just with companies besides GW.

Remember, if you're happy on the internet you don't usually tell anybody. If you're annoyed, you whine about it until you get blocked.

20phoenix
13-07-2015, 22:31
Started buying up high elf minis over the weekend - its like January on ebay at the moment. I intend on buying existing minis even when they bring out new stuff so I can play 8th too (WH noob).

Noobish question - on some of the AoS warscrolls numbers are replaced by a sun/star - what does that mean?

Spiney Norman
13-07-2015, 22:34
Well I bought myself half a box set because the minis are really awesome, but for the moment any way I won't be buying anything else. I'll see how the game goes and maybe expand my chaos force later (though I have plenty of 40k daemons to use without buying anything.

Actually at the moment GW has proved itself to be so untrustworthy I don't feel particularly inclined to invest in any of their core lines, I'm unlikely to buy anything from them except for my HH spending at forgeworld.

Noobish question - on some of the AoS warscrolls numbers are replaced by a sun/star - what does that mean?

It relates to one or more of their special rules, most often you'll see in the case of monsters and it's because those stats change based on how many wounds the monster has taken. There will usually be a table somewhere on the warscroll which shows how the stats change based on wounds taken.

GramercyRiff
13-07-2015, 22:35
Started buying up high elf minis over the weekend - its like January on ebay at the moment. I intend on buying existing minis even when they bring out new stuff so I can play 8th too (WH noob).

The starburst symbol means that it's variable. There is a table below where you plug in the variable numbers.

As for spending money, yeah I'll most likely be buying more than just the starter.

RedKnightSpecial
13-07-2015, 22:39
I swear upon everything sacred to anyone, GW will never see another cent of my money. I am moving to KoW. If I buy some used GW stuff for my KoW army, I will ensure that whomever I buy from will not be using that money to purchase GW products before I make the purchase. If my daughter wants to marry a dude named James and his last name rhymes with Workshop, I'll disown her.

OK, maybe I won't go that far. But I will call him Jim.

Kaltheras
13-07-2015, 22:40
I have already spent money on AoS (2 WD's and the Starter set), and, as bases don't matter anymore, I've happily based the chaos models from the starter on squares so that I get models for playing AoS, for playing 6-8th hammer, and for playing Oldhammer at my choice. I personally think the Khorne models from this starter are some of the best from GW in the last 10-15 years (with the possible exception of the Khorgorath).

Theocracity
13-07-2015, 22:40

There are currently 1,500 people logged in to Warseer, and the stats say the most ever logged in at once was almost 7,000. Even without looking at total registration numbers, the sample size for this poll is ridiculously small amongst Warseer's active population - and that's assuming that Warseer's population is representative of GW's customers (which would need a lot more data to prove).

It's a data point for sure, but on its own and without any references it's not something to make broad calls about.

Remember, if you're happy on the internet you don't usually tell anybody. If you're annoyed, you whine about it until you get blocked.

Also, this. Self-selected polls are a hell of a drug.

Ayin
13-07-2015, 22:41
I'll keep my eye out for any models that will work with my Warriors army for Fantasy or other game systems, but really it's just Ebay for me at this point.

I was really hoping AoS would lead to a new Slaanesh GD for my wife's army, seeing as how GW is all about big plastic kits with lots of smooth, undetailed areas, but after End Times put the hammer on anything that wasn't AoS scaled Nurgle or Khorne and the future of Slaanesh seems pretty up in the air, I'm not holding my breath.

williamsond
13-07-2015, 22:53
not by the hair of my chinny chin chin...

20phoenix
13-07-2015, 22:56
It relates to one or more of their special rules, most often you'll see in the case of monsters and it's because those stats change based on how many wounds the monster has taken. There will usually be a table somewhere on the warscroll which shows how the stats change based on wounds taken.

Thanks! Fairly obvious now I know...

NoobLord
13-07-2015, 23:07
No. Starting Frostgrave and Bolt Action now. I was starting a daemonkin army for 40k and fantasy but this Rage of Sigmar mess has convinced me to cancel that plan, sell the chaos stuff I already have and leave GW well alone (apart from the odd pot of paint and maybe some 40k Fenrisian Wolves for Frostgrave).

RedKnightSpecial
13-07-2015, 23:11
I ordered the Frostgrave book this morning. I hope they get players in my area.

KingDeath
13-07-2015, 23:35
No, the rules are terrible and i don't like the new fluff. A more competent company might have enticed me to start Warhammer Fantasy cause i realy liked the setting (sadly, as ever, the entry cost was stupidly high) but AOS is something i wouldn't even want to have as a gift. For the money of the starterset i can buy one of the ANCRE monographs, some nice tools or (almost) Tamiya's Chikuma if i realy need some plastic crack.

Malagor
13-07-2015, 23:36
A difficult question.
Will I spend money on AoS ? No I will not.
Will I spend money on Fantasy ? yes I will and I have.

jet_palero
13-07-2015, 23:47
No, but I'm buying the KoW big book when it gets released, I read their rules and its an actual game with player agency.

Shakkara
13-07-2015, 23:48
Not with the current rules, so they would have to change the rules to get me onboard.

If they release some good models compatible with high elves then I might buy a few to paint them, but not many.

mbh1127
13-07-2015, 23:54
doubtful at this point. I've just kinda lost interest. I haven't bothered checking these boards the last couple of days.

Philhelm
14-07-2015, 00:49
I want some Gryph Hounds.

Samsonov
14-07-2015, 01:10
I want some Gryph Hounds.
Okay, I voted never but I'm getting hold of the BabyGryph/GryphHound/whatever it is called. It will be great for 6mm and 3mm fantasy.

From what I can tell most AoS games will just end up in a big scrum. This is not the strategic game with resemblance to historical warfare that I want to play.

Lord Cedric
14-07-2015, 01:20
So far only bought 2 White Dwarf magazine with free model, current White Dwarf magazine, two new paints and 2 Age of Sigmar starter sets.

I've pre ordered the Lord-Celestant, normal hardback book and 2 boxes of Liberators. So yeah .. I guess they captured my wallet.

- Lord Cedric

Shandor
14-07-2015, 01:31
I find it kinda ammusing how peoples react to Polls in the Internet. If the most peoples have a different opinion they say "Its not accurate because the most peoples are dont visit this site" or "The happy peoples are silent" or "we would need more peoples to make it accurate. This means nothing!"

If the most peoples are on thier side they come up with "Look how many have votet here this is is a fact!" or "Look the mayority are on my side i cant be wrong!" :)

Khornies & milk
14-07-2015, 01:41
No way in hell will GW get even a penny for this AoS game (so called...bit of a stretch). There's 50+ Fantasy gamers/collectors in my group, and our needs are now been met by continuing to play 8th Ed WH, and WarmaHordes. New Fantasy - based purchases are been made by buying into other company's games like KoW, so no money from us.

Many of us Vets within my group have being into GW games for 25+ years, but we're just shaking our heads and crying WTF at their recent decisions impact on existing gamers/collectors.

SuperHappyTime
14-07-2015, 01:57
My area wasn't big on Fantasy. They played 40K, so I got into it. They're going to play Hormachines, so I got into it too.

I like Fantasy, so I probably wont get into it unless the rest of the fellas get into it.

Eldartank
14-07-2015, 02:10
I really like those models in the boxed set. I don't know if I will ever play the game, but I just might buy the boxed set to assemble and paint the models.

turtle123
14-07-2015, 02:31
I really like those models in the boxed set. I don't know if I will ever play the game, but I just might buy the boxed set to assemble and paint the models.

+1. Same here the Sigmarines have grown on me. Even the chaos guys look badass. Nice sculpting.

Tzar Boris
14-07-2015, 02:48
Honestly haven't given GW any money in the last 7 years, save for some IP revenue from video games.

Their quality of minis is better than the fcast debacle period, but for a hobby, there's better uses of my money than bunging 30 or whatever for 5 guys that don't even suit my tastes. It's simply that. They have priced me out of their model lines. There's some interesting models they've brought out in that time, that with access to bitz and a bit less focus on heroes, I'd of been sure to pick up, but most is just unpainted He-Man figures at this stage. (That should show my age and indeed, my viewpoint)

I'm thankful that they've cured me of shiny toy addiction, and turned me into a cynical old git. It wasn't through my own choice, however. I was happy to be a continuing consumer.

So, I'll play AOS, house rule, play previous editions, see how AOS continues, possibly get round to finally making my own ruleset. It has renewed my waning hobby though. The furore has awoken my inner hobby god and am getting right back to it. Just with a little less GW in my life.

Jind_Singh
14-07-2015, 06:35
Already went halfs and bought the Sigmarite set from the starter box.

Next purchase is the new Lord blister and a box of infantry (as I want a unit with double hand weapons, swords) - and then plans to grab 2 boxes of the archers when they come out to build 5 of each missile weapon (bows and crossbows)

That will complete, for now, my Stormcast Eternal collection

Wesser
14-07-2015, 07:27
There's a lot of miniatures for my 8th army that I haven't gotten due to ugliness/metal.

If AoS produces something I can proxy and rank then maybe I'll buy something. Then again GW has told me often enough that they don't want any of my money....

KurganFr
14-07-2015, 07:35
I don't like the style of either armies in the AoS starter set, so i will stick with my existing fantasy armies, all of which have plenty of models that need assembly and painting.

Corax
14-07-2015, 08:46
No AoS for me, unless they actually come out with a comprehensive set of rules than can produce a (reasonably) balanced competitive game. Until that happens, Kings of War looks promising as an alternative, and if I feel like playing a skirmish game, I'll probably go try Warmahordes. Right now, I don't feel at all inclined to give GW any more of my money. I'd rather give my business to companies that value their customers rather than actively trying to alienate them.

Herzlos
14-07-2015, 08:47
As is? No. I've got better rules for everything it does.

If they improve the rules (and add points back in) AND people at my club start playing it AND I like one of the new factions, I'll get back in to an extent (like, enough for a standard club pick-up game).

CrystalSphere
14-07-2015, 12:54
I voted NEVER, but in truth i would have voted something like if GW makes an Age of Sigmar miniature i love, that i can use for other games, then ill get that one.

Im not buying into AoS the game, but cool minis i really like, why not.

Haravikk
14-07-2015, 13:03
I'm not interested in Khorne and not particularly keen of the Stormcast Eternals (though I might get a small squad to lead other forces of Order). My main interest is still in Dwarfs, and how they'll be re-envisioned, but since AoS scales down so well it's now easier than ever to just collect small forces from different armies, so I might do that (e.g- a couple of units, a character and a war-machine/chariot/monster), but it really depends how things shape up.

For Dwarfs I'm hoping that their newest kits are going to be retained with round bases, as I never got around to buying any, and with the current uncertainty I'm not going to buy them as-is since I already have Ironbreakers, Longbeards etc. that I've converted myself (but are still similar enough to warriors that I can just use them as such if I replace them).

Denny
14-07-2015, 13:05
If they release a model I really like I will buy it.

The stuff so far has been technically very good, but nothing screams 'must have'.

I could see myself picking up the unarmoured Khorne chaps, but probably as a ebay deal.

ColShaw
14-07-2015, 13:08
I won't be buying. I don't want to encourage GW's current direction, and I have no interest in the game.

HelloKitty
14-07-2015, 13:11
Yep I snagged a copy of the book coming out this week and put in a forge world order for some chaos dwarves to go with the khorne faction I already have.

Spiney Norman
14-07-2015, 13:16
Yep I snagged a copy of the book coming out this week and put in a forge world order for some chaos dwarves to go with the khorne faction I already have.

Have FW released warscrolls for their CD yet? I could most definitely be persuaded to add some of those beautiful infernal guard to my own Khorne force.

I'd love to get my hands on some skin wolves as well.

HelloKitty
14-07-2015, 13:27
Have FW released warscrolls for their CD yet? I could most definitely be persuaded to add some of those beautiful infernal guard to my own Khorne force.

I'd love to get my hands on some skin wolves as well.

Nope and I doubt they will but thats why we have this

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?411471-Age-of-Sigmar-Chaos-Dwarfs-using-Azyr-Comp-System

:)

Still Standing
14-07-2015, 13:48
This is more complete. It's a full list produced by Thommy H at Chaos-Dwarfs.com. He's the guy who has made the excellent 8th Ed list.

http://www.coldsteelwarriors.com/AoS-Chaos_Dwarfs.pdf

Original Forum Thread (http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=15890)

CountUlrich
14-07-2015, 20:57
I haven't and won't spend a single red cent on the crap that is AoS. I will use ebay for any final pieces I need for my current armies, I may pick up a DE force on the cheap from a buddy and then I'm done. I'll play 8th with my son, might try KoW with some friends, and probably will dip my toes into Malifaux with the money I no longer give GW.

Darnok
14-07-2015, 21:06
I don't know what to vote for.

I have spent money on models from the AoS starter box: namely the Chaos half of the models. But neither will I use them for AoS, nor have I any intentions of investing into that "game". I got the models for use in 40K (the lord, the brute, the marauders) and my 8th edition WoC (the "Khorne Chosen" and the standard bearer as Skullreapers).

Vazalaar
14-07-2015, 21:11
Yes!

I really like the new miniatures and I can't wait to see more new miniatures. Will I use them for AoS.. Occasionally. My main intent is to houserule the new mini's in 8th edition.

I always wanted an elite, low model, good army in 8th ed. and now I have it.:)

Urgat
14-07-2015, 21:14
Maybe. Depends on the orcs & goblins (uruks & grots or whatever if you want) minis they'll release.

BattleofLund
14-07-2015, 21:35
I voted "Waiting for other factions (i dont think i will buy)"

BECAUSE

While I'm a sucker for anything Chaos and/or spiky and/or evil-cool, my current Chaos collection is extensive and at least as sexy as what I've seen of the new AoS Chaos stuff.

BUT

I won't say "NEVER" since I actually bought a Slaughterbrute kit last year - after saying "never" to that, it slowly grew on me. The AoS things I haven't seen may surprise and awe me.

Darnok
14-07-2015, 21:40
I voted "Waiting for other factions (i dont think i will buy)"

BECAUSE

While I'm a sucker for anything Chaos and/or spiky and/or evil-cool, my current Chaos collection is extensive and at least as sexy as what I've seen of the new AoS Chaos stuff.

BUT

I won't say "NEVER" since I actually bought a Slaughterbrute kit last year - after saying "never" to that, it slowly grew on me. The AoS things I haven't seen may surprise and awe me.

If you can get the Chaos half of the starter set for a reasonable price: at least think about it. The models on their own are of great quality. I despise what GW has done to WHF, but the Chaos models are spectacular. I guess you could find a place for all of them, and they just look so good.

RollofTheDice
14-07-2015, 22:24
I spent money on that copy of WD with the free figure to check out, and now I am keen on collecting my own force of Sigmar's finest!
Time to smash some Chaos heads in! :)

vlad78
15-07-2015, 02:33
NEVER

The new studio tastes and inspirations are extremely awful imho. All those new concetps feel forced and the fluff they made up is atrocious. Fluff is almost everything for me. Dumping the old world after having spoiled it for the last 15 years is just showing a total lack of skills and talents.

I'm even stopping any 40k purchases for fear of GW might further do to the range. I'm still interested in the Horus Hresy forgeworld books but that's about all.

Voss
15-07-2015, 03:36
Nope. Don't see the point or the appeal. I fully expect this to be abandoned in about two years.

Also, what vlad said. The writing and thematic concepts are horrendously painful to read. Tween fanfic painful. In fact, I've voluntarily read tween fanfics that bothered me less than the AoS fluff does, even when they are making a mess of a series I enjoy. At least the fanfic authors have inexperience as an excuse, and you can watch them try to better themselves.

Okuto
15-07-2015, 03:48
Already picked up the starter set.....but not for AoS but because I think the khorne marauders will look nice in my chaos marine army. The sigmarines will be turning into something emperor's children me thinks.

Played a couple of games of AoS, will not continue if the rules stay the same though, I'm not gonna houserule every game before I play, no sir. In the short term I have no interest to invest in AoS, in the long term who knows but

Aseram
15-07-2015, 05:29
Nope. Not into "high fantasy" or whatever this crap is called. And they somehow made it more of a kiddie game than 40k. A huge disappointment all the way around.

Galain
15-07-2015, 07:28

Poll is up to 224 people now. Still 22% retention rate.

Just sayin'.

Commisar Ibram Gaunt
15-07-2015, 08:21
Poll is up to 224 people now. Still 22% retention rate.

Just sayin'.

You do know the reputation of this site as whineseer right?

duffybear1988
15-07-2015, 08:29
I've just been playing with the new Frostgrave rules, which are infinitely better than AoS, so I can't see me switching back to GW any time soon. The rest of my club feel the same now.

GrandmasterWang
15-07-2015, 08:48
Bought the starter set yesterday for a mate. Amazing miniatures!

I took my Khornebrute out of the deal. Fantasy hellbrute... love it

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Maccwar
15-07-2015, 09:57
I'm not sure which box I would tick for this poll. At the moment there is noting in the AoS range that would tempt me to buy and if they carry on with the current aesthetic then they won't be getting any of my money. Experience has taught me not to blankly dismiss things like this as "never" as occasionally even ranges I don't like throw up some really neat models.

Drakkar du Chaos
15-07-2015, 11:22
I don't know what to vote for.

I have spent money on models from the AoS starter box: namely the Chaos half of the models. But neither will I use them for AoS, nor have I any intentions of investing into that "game". I got the models for use in 40K (the lord, the brute, the marauders) and my 8th edition WoC (the "Khorne Chosen" and the standard bearer as Skullreapers).

Well the pool options was bad written, thanks to my awful english.
"I have buy something AoS related (like the starter box) but i will not buy anything AoS related again" this is the second option.

Thanks for your votes everyone.
What we can see (and i think is important), is a lot of people are still waiting for others factions or better rules (30%).
In the other threads it seems people have already made their minds about AoS in a good/bad way but in fact its not already the case.

IMO i do not think GW can screw the rules of a game like that and get away with it so easily so i will not buy anymore GW until they go back and do what we are paying for : good miniatures AND good rules.

EagleWarrior
15-07-2015, 11:42
Planning on sticking to 8th ed. If they bring out models for any of my armies that work for 8th ed, I'll consider buying them. No interest in the overdone fantasy space marines though.

Still Standing
15-07-2015, 11:54
I don't really think this poll is indicative of anything. Create a poll with negative connotations (like this one), and you'll attract those who are negative about the subject. Threads like this just create breeding grounds for negativity. Additionally, I've seen many people get attacked on forums and Facebook for daring to suggest they actually like the game, which is another reason for people to bypass these sort of thread.

Drakkar du Chaos
15-07-2015, 12:00
I don't really think this poll is indicative of anything. Create a poll with negative connotations (like this one), and you'll attract those who are negative about the subject. Threads like this just create breeding grounds for negativity. Additionally, I've seen many people get attacked on forums and Facebook for daring to suggest they actually like the game, which is another reason for people to bypass these sort of thread.

Victim complex ?

Still Standing
15-07-2015, 12:03
I fail to see how I am the victim of anything here?

EagleWarrior
15-07-2015, 12:03
Still Standing makes a good point. Also, being on the forum at all means your probably one of the serious fans (I know I am) and that is not necessarily representative of the full customer base.

Drakkar du Chaos
15-07-2015, 12:17
I fail to see how I am the victim of anything here?

You said people who have or will play AoS are being attacked everywhere and this thread are worth nothing because its a trap.
I said : victim complex ?
You said you dont understand.
I say stop fooling yourself.

Shandor
15-07-2015, 12:41

So there must be only whineseer sites for Warhammer out there. On every Warhammer forum i look at these days they have very much the same Poll results.. some are even more in this direction. As far i can see here are the most "Pro AoS" peoples on Warseer.

Grimmeth
15-07-2015, 12:41
For me it's tough. On one hand I sort of want to get involved with a new system from the ground up but on the other I'm not really sure how?

I mean, yeah, I can buy the core game, but I don't have any way to build an army or anything yet for pick-up games which also means I can't really plan anything. Also I have no guarantee that anything I buy now won't be made obselete in a couple of months.

EagleWarrior
15-07-2015, 13:10
I doubt they'll make things obsolete, even if they do reverse everything (which I suspect they won't), they'll roll the new minis into the Empire or something. GW are well aware that telling people they can't use an army they brought in good faith is a sure route to rage quitting.

TheLionReturns
15-07-2015, 13:23
It will depend on whether any new elf releases will fit in with the style of the current wood elves. Also it will depend if I like the look of any of the scenery. I will likely play Age of Sigmar from time to time but warhammer 8th is more the type of game I like, so any purchases will have to work for that first and foremost.

BeardMonk
15-07-2015, 13:45
I have selected "Never" as it is very very unlikely that I will ever play AoS as im heavily into WM/H, Pathfinder and have started up with Malifaux recently as a side game. The AoS rule set is not deep enough, has too many holes for me to consider playing it.

However, I would buy individual models if they have something suitable for any of the Pathfinder campaigns. However I would be buying them from 3rd party retailers like Element Games to get discounts off the GW price tag.

Galain
15-07-2015, 18:12

AoS is getting a similar reception on DakkaDakka, TWF, and /tg/.

reddevil18
15-07-2015, 18:13
No, and because of this I will no longer be buying anything from GW until 9th is out and it resembles the game i grew up with and loved.

Haravikk
15-07-2015, 18:33
AoS is getting a similar reception on DakkaDakka, TWF, and /tg/.
It's tough to get an accurate perception from internet polling, because the people that are most likely to want to discuss something, are the people that are unhappy with it, since the people that are happy with AoS are busy playing it, or at least those that are optimistic may just be biding their time till we know more (and likely playing 8th edition, 40k etc. in the mean time).

Polls about 8th edition were pretty negative too, and clearly weren't representative about how the majority of players felt about it.

logan054
15-07-2015, 18:40
Polls about 8th edition were pretty negative too, and clearly weren't representative about how the majority of players felt about it.

Think about what your saying here. It's been implied that warhammer didn't sell enough. It's seems all the quiet people stopped buying 8th. So perhaps the majority just gave up.

I don't going adding space marines to warhammer was the answer.

Vazalaar
15-07-2015, 18:42
I wonder how many of the voters, bought Warhammer stuff between? Let's say between 2013 and the first end times book. I don't think the % would be higher than 30-40 of the current voters.

How many of these never, NEVER, never voters really spend more than 150 euro on Warhammer the last couple of years?

I am not really happy with the changes, but I do like the new miniatures. Sigmarites are alright, but the Chaos stuff is very impressive. Lots of character.

I can be considered as a fan and even I didn't spend much on GW the last couple of years.. . You can't keep buying statetroops, greatswords, Valten, Karl Franz, Warrior priests and etc.. .

babylonia
15-07-2015, 18:48
The only AoS product I have bought was the White Dwarf with Sigmarine mini. I don't plan on buying any new models from Games Workshop. However, this week I did spend 130 on the Garden of Morr, a few arcane fulcrums and other Warhammer scenery. These models will be useful for terrain in Mordheim, WFRP, Godslayer, WFB and Storm of Magic. I recently bought lots of 4th edition books and supplements. I don't need the expensive AoS to play Herohammer, the 4th edition WFB is superior to AoS in many ways and a fraction of the price.

MiyamatoMusashi
15-07-2015, 18:51

...and yet Warhammer, we are led to believe, has gone so badly downhill that not enough people still play it for it to be (sufficiently) profitable, to the point at which they've thrown it out completely and started again from scratch.

If the 8th Ed polls were indeed largely negative, I'd say that what has happened since has shown them to be fairly accurate, hmm?

Dorrin
15-07-2015, 18:55
I've always preferred fantasy setting but my game group has only played 40k more or less. Most of them are giving AoS a shot though which I'm pleased about. For casual players who enjoy the hobby side as much the playing it seems a good push back to fantasy.

I've got the box set which I'm using to get my eldest in to (7) and I've ordered the follow book but I'll be using my dwarf warscroll for now.

Oh, and I'll be grabbing the new scenery.

The_Real_Chris
15-07-2015, 18:55

I think some people changed their mind on the rules (though not all) and played, but the increased cost and the like shed more people (vets and new starts).

rddf
15-07-2015, 19:36
I am mainly a garage gamer, a couples of friends and myself play. We won't be moving from 8th. I am partial to KoW rules that I read over the weekend. We may end up moving that direction. Looking into flames of war too.

Holier Than Thou
15-07-2015, 20:02
I've always preferred fantasy setting but my game group has only played 40k more or less. Most of them are giving AoS a shot though which I'm pleased about. For casual players who enjoy the hobby side as much the playing it seems a good push back to fantasy.

I've got the box set which I'm using to get my eldest in to (7) and I've ordered the follow book but I'll be using my dwarf warscroll for now.

Oh, and I'll be grabbing the new scenery.

Nothing personal but this is, I believe, why I find it so hard to understand how so many of the pro-AOS posters are suggesting it has depth and tactics. You are getting it for your 7 year old. I genuinely believe he'll enjoy it but how can a game that a 7 year old will understand and enjoy have a level of strategy suitable for adults? The answer is it cannot.

Dorrin
15-07-2015, 20:06
To that I will just say blood bowl.

Game I picked up when I was about 10-12 and is still one of my favourites today.

Also I think AoS will grow. The basic rule set as I see I designed to capture a young (new) audience. No wonder older players baulked at it. But the more i read I can see it developing.

That said, I don't see it being a huge strategic war game. But then for that I prefer ww2 stuff.

I'm interested to see what the scenarios bring.

I'm not saying it's awesome, too early. Not even saying it's good. But equally I think it's too soon to write off.

HammerofThunor
15-07-2015, 20:08
Edit (@holier than thou) Do you realise that games can be appreciated on different levels? I used to play chess with a friend (general drunk) where you had 3 seconds to make your move. I don't think we appreciated it on the same level of others. A game that CAN be played by 7 year olds, doesn't mean there isn't extra depth for these who have the capabilities to understand them.

Not played a game of AOS yet so this is just a general point.

EcceNoHomo
15-07-2015, 20:18
If the rules were improved, armies were reverse compatible, and I liked the aesthetic, maybe. I know myself well enough to know that I'd be tempted.

But to be honest, screw AOS, and screw GW. A simpler, narrative driven game with more freedom of choice? Sure, but when you decimate the movement phase you decimate my interest in Warhammer fantasy. I'm 31, play the odd game for fun, not uber competitive, but I enjoy list building, the movement phase, and tangible, meaningful differences between units and equipment (hate the ubiquitous meta lists from the web tho. Just build an army you like the look of, name your characters and make sure it has a little bite- it doesn't need to be optimized in every area just for the sake of it!). I also don't like high fantasy, so I think my interest might waver if they start doing crazy stuff with dwarfs etc.

I think I have to vote with my wallet on this one. I do want AOS to fail, and I'm not ashamed of that. It's a shoddy, cynical product and I have plenty of stuff I still need to paint. I will continue using square bases, continue using block regiments, continue playing 8th, and hopefully start playing some 3rd.

HelloKitty
15-07-2015, 20:19
I taught my then-six year old how to play chess. That doesn't mean chess is a shallow game.

Galain
15-07-2015, 20:25

What? 8th edition went over so poorly that GW razed the setting to the ground. I'd say the 8th ed polls were pretty damn accurate.

EcceNoHomo
15-07-2015, 20:29
I taught my then-six year old how to play chess. That doesn't mean chess is a shallow game.

I taught my dog to play fetch. I'd still like to play a good wargame every once in a while though.

Holier Than Thou
15-07-2015, 20:32
@ dorrin. There's a huge developmental difference between a 7 year old and a 10 year old.

@ hammer. You're right, some games can be considered to have different levels of sophistication but reading the rules for Age of Sigmar, I don't believe it is one of them. It is basically pick the strongest units available with no drawback, no need to choose between, moving or shooting, everyone can do both, no need to choose between shooting and charging, everyone can do both, no need to protect your flank or rear, no need for careful manoeuvring, no need for any kind of strategy. Just pick the best stuff and roll dice.

logan054
15-07-2015, 20:56

Well that proves it, AoS isn't shallow :rolleyes:

Also I think AoS will grow. The basic rule set as I see I designed to capture a young (new) audience. No wonder older players baulked at it. But the more i read I can see it developing.

I actually don't think it's designed to capture anyone. http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?411304-Analysis-of-GW-financials-FY2011-FY2014-and-H1-FY-2015 I think that had some interesting quotes that describe exactly what it's designed to do.

Gharak
15-07-2015, 22:12
Yup. Probably picking up this week sometime. I'm a 30 something gamer and have played wargames from all sorts of companies since I was about 8. AoS may not have the most complicated ruleset but to be honest my years of liking complexity are far behind me. I want easy to remember rules and some fun.

I like the new direction and am looking forward to seeing them flesh out the new armies further. For now it's sigmarites for me as I never was a big fan of khorne.

So for someone who's not spent a penny in GW for about 10 years they can consider AoS a win, I've been to the store 3 times in the last week to pick up bits and chat to the staff, watch games etc and each time I do get excited by it.

Big battle games should be played in smaller scales not 28mm heroics in my opinion.

G

Still Standing
15-07-2015, 23:31
Most fantasy players buy an army, then every now and again add a new regiment (mainly when an Army Book comes out). That's it. How was GW supposed to survive on that? For the last 2 or 3 years I spent 200-400 a month on 30k/40k because that is a game which encourages that. Sure, you might have 300 Chaos Warriors, but you will never use them. In 40k I will use those 250 Marines every now and again. That's what GW is after. Not for our enjoyment, but for their own survival.

Kahadras
15-07-2015, 23:51
No. I started losing interest in Warhammer around the time that it became clear that the End Times basically boiled down to the end of Warhammer. The rest of the people I know who played Warhammer pretty much stopped playing around the same time. At the point that AoS came out we'd moved on to other things (Relic Knights, Star Wars Armarda, Black Powder, Saga etc). People had a look over AoS when it was released and we pretty much decided not to bother. The starter box set might be cheap but after that things are looking like they are going to get very expencive, very quickly.

Shandor
16-07-2015, 00:24
I wonder how many of the voters, bought Warhammer stuff between? Let's say between 2013 and the first end times book. I don't think the % would be higher than 30-40 of the current voters.

How many of these never, NEVER, never voters really spend more than 150 euro on Warhammer the last couple of years?

I am not really happy with the changes, but I do like the new miniatures. Sigmarites are alright, but the Chaos stuff is very impressive. Lots of character.

I can be considered as a fan and even I didn't spend much on GW the last couple of years.. . You can't keep buying statetroops, greatswords, Valten, Karl Franz, Warrior priests and etc.. .

Actually i did build a Tomb King Army around 6000 points a Darkelf Army around 9000 Points, some Highelf, Woodelf and Vampire stuff the last 3 years. I think all in all its around 2000-3000 $ -btw i voted NEVER.

exsanguis
16-07-2015, 00:39
After reading plenty of reviews and seeing some games at my nearest GW, I don't think any of the "legacy" armies can compete with the starter box forces. Hell, even the Khornate starter forces struggle against the Sigmarines.

It will be interesting to see how the "balance" develops once newer Dwarf, Skaven and Elf units are released, but until then I would hold off from purchasing more stuff.

HelloKitty
16-07-2015, 02:55
Poster 1:

I genuinely believe he'll enjoy it but how can a game that a 7 year old will understand and enjoy have a level of strategy suitable for adults? The answer is it cannot.

HK:

Poster 2:

Well that proves it, AoS isn't shallow :eyeroll:

My response had nothing to do with Age of Sigmar's tactical depth, it was showing that games that are simple and where children are taught to play can have loads of tactical and strategic depth.

Ayin
16-07-2015, 03:15
After reading plenty of reviews and seeing some games at my nearest GW, I don't think any of the "legacy" armies can compete with the starter box forces. Hell, even the Khornate starter forces struggle against the Sigmarines.

I don't see why they can't. Losing games to your opponent? Put down more stuff. Still losing? Put down more stuff. No more stuff to put down? Buy more stuff, then put it down, then see how you do. GW 'balance' mission accomplished.

And I know the counter argument is 'well, we're using XYZ houserules about army composition ect ect', but if that's the case, the problem is in your houserules.

It will be interesting to see how the "balance" develops once newer Dwarf, Skaven and Elf units are released, but until then I would hold off from purchasing more stuff.

In all seriousness, I feel no one will really have a good grasp of this game until at least two full forces are released.

exsanguis
16-07-2015, 04:53
My point was that that the actual start box forces seem to be decidedly unbalanced. Every game I saw, and the two that I participated in using the starter set, ended with the Mighty Khorne Lord trying to carry the team by himself.

Maybe their business plan is to just ramp up production of Sigmarine stuff only and get everyone playing the same army. If everyone is playing Sigmarines, then I guess it's balanced? :\

Ayin
16-07-2015, 05:03
My point was that that the actual start box forces seem to be decidedly unbalanced. Every game I saw, and the two that I participated in using the starter set, ended with the Mighty Khorne Lord trying to carry the team by himself.

Maybe their business plan is to just ramp up production of Sigmarine stuff only and get everyone playing the same army. If everyone is playing Sigmarines, then I guess it's balanced? :\

Very few of their starter sets have ever really been 'balanced' against each other, but yeah, this entire re-design is based on IP concerns and fitting Space Marines into their 'other' game line (because Space Marines move plastic). The foundation of the worlds is Space Marine centric, the view of the history of the game is Space Marine centric (as by the God-Emperor through the Sigmarites) in the same way 40k is based on being viewed from the Imperium. The starter set is about introducing the Space-Marine faction to the fan base but, more than that, it's relying (as the game itself is) on the Space-Marine stand-ins to carry it.

Would GW be happy if 50%+ of the player base played Sigmarites? Definitely. Look at the % of armies in 40k made up of Space Marine factions.

Buddy Bear
16-07-2015, 07:19
I don't think the release of the new armies will make a difference. When you have a game which quite literally allows for one player to take 100 Stormcast Eternals against his opponents 30 Goblins, there's no such thing as balance, and the release of new armies won't make it balanced.

Wesser
16-07-2015, 12:29
Most fantasy players buy an army, then every now and again add a new regiment (mainly when an Army Book comes out). That's it. How was GW supposed to survive on that? For the last 2 or 3 years I spent 200-400 a month on 30k/40k because that is a game which encourages that. Sure, you might have 300 Chaos Warriors, but you will never use them. In 40k I will use those 250 Marines every now and again. That's what GW is after. Not for our enjoyment, but for their own survival.

Eh? I don't see how 40k and WFB are different. The only stuff I've added to my Chaos Marines since my initial purchase is some stuff I happened to pick up second-hand.

Due to the goofy nature of a lot GW's kits like Havocs or Terminators where you only get a limited selection of the various weapon options, I see very little incentive in picking up those inadequate boxes. So I don't see how 40k encourages continual spending other than it being better supported....

In the Fantasy genre GW has pursued a policy of putting out niche products rather than certain sellers. GW produced Slaughterbrutes, Nagash, Mortis Engines, Gyrobombers and Imperial Griffons when they could have made Chaos Marauders, Zombies, Empire Knights or Dwarf Trollslayers. So instead of making boxes that they could assuredly sell multiples off to almost every owner of those armies they instead chose to make something will limited appeal and which even fans of the models of the models would want max 2 of...

GW is acting absolutely random and I see no reason to believe that releasing Age of Sigmar is going to make GW any better at putting out sell-able models or updating online rules.

I'm starting to believe that GW is the company that Dilbert works for...

Dorrin
16-07-2015, 14:46
@ dorrin. There's a huge developmental difference between a 7 year old and a 10 year old.

@ hammer. You're right, some games can be considered to have different levels of sophistication but reading the rules for Age of Sigmar, I don't believe it is one of them. It is basically pick the strongest units available with no drawback, no need to choose between, moving or shooting, everyone can do both, no need to choose between shooting and charging, everyone can do both, no need to protect your flank or rear, no need for careful manoeuvring, no need for any kind of strategy. Just pick the best stuff and roll dice.

Quite, however when I was 10 (ish) I read & learned bloodbowl myself, with AoS I'm teaching my 7yo and will have to play it with him. I certainly doubt he could play it himself, even with the most basic rules, until he had played a fair few games.

That all aside, wasnt my main point. The game looks just a good bit of fun and easy way for us to drag out fantasy mini's out and jump in to a game. On summer nights, its perfect to stick the BBQ on, grab a few beers and have a laugh with some friends around and not spend half of that time with our faces in a rule book looking for answers.

I havent played enough to give a full dress down of it, but I like where it's heading. The issues about balance etc seem like non issues to me unless you play against unreasonable people. Thankfully, I dont and I think a few house rules and you'd be set.

Grok
16-07-2015, 19:58
I'll buy the box set and will probably buy some more Chaos stuff in the future if they will be as awesome as those in it.
I dig those models, its that simple. I care nothing for the rules and won't spend 1 cent on any books or insanely priced dice holders, I'm buying it just for the models.

Avian
16-07-2015, 20:07
Having done some serious considerations, I'm not getting the starter box, but I will consider getting other starters later if they contain factions I like better (ex: Undead vs Orcs).

HelloKitty
16-07-2015, 20:13
Having done some serious considerations, I'm not getting the starter box, but I will consider getting other starters later if they contain factions I like better (ex: Undead vs Orcs).

Yeah - I bought the starter because Khorne is one of my main armies and the new khorne models were just too awesome looking to not get.

Avian
16-07-2015, 20:25
Say what you like about the rules, background and prices, but the models look really nice. :)

Darnok
17-07-2015, 08:43
Say what you like about the rules, background and prices, but the models look really nice. :)

True - as long as one likes the design style. I love the Chaos half of the starter, but the Sigmarines are not to my taste.

MLP
17-07-2015, 09:56
I'm not a fan of the new starter set models so I won't be buying that. I'm quite excited for AoS as a modeller primarily but without a guideline for an army I won't do much structured purchasing. I might buy the odd unit that I like, but unlike 8th where I would always have new ideas for cool army themes and the like, with AoS at the moment I'm struggling to be inspired. With no army structure rules I can't decide how I want to theme or build an army.

peterb17
17-07-2015, 10:13
To give a bit of background I am a fanboy....played warhammer since the very beginning and am the type of person who as an example for the release of 8th bought ltd edition rulebook normal rule book all the add ons special dice etc etc.
I travel to HQ 3 - 4 times a year and go to the weekenders and live events (buying all ltd edition and pre release items) so all in all 46 yrs of age lucky to have spare cash. I am saying this to give an idea of my level of spend and also that I being a total GW Fanboy I don't even look at other companies models or game systems (might be silly but that's me).
I have played AoS on a number of occasions now and honestly wanted it to really succeed but for me it doesn't it is a bland boring game without any depth and i can say unless there is some sort of way of using current or future models in older editions of Warhammer I will definitely not be buying any AoS stuff. I have even started looking at models from other ranges and other rule systems and as stated above this is a huge departure for me.
I don't play 40k although i love the setting and lore i just don't like the game although the models are fantastic and so i think my spend will now be limited to Black library only.

Colonel Alexi
17-07-2015, 12:40
My option is yes, but for 40k conversions

Still Standing
17-07-2015, 13:50
I wonder who is answering this poll. Those who clicked Never, did they buy things beforehand? AoS has bought a lot more traffic and interest to these boards, which means people who had no interest in buying before are here.

Shandor
17-07-2015, 14:00
I wonder who is answering this poll. Those who clicked Never, did they buy things beforehand? AoS has bought a lot more traffic and interest to these boards, which means people who had no interest in buying before are here.

I didnt buy any AoS stuff and dont plan to do it. So i clicked Never. Its really simple :)

ColShaw
17-07-2015, 14:16

I bought several thousand dollars' worth of WFB over the years. I clicked NEVER.

HopeAndDespair
17-07-2015, 15:19
Right now im just working on finishing up what I already have but never finished painting, Glottkin and a bunch of skaven. Once more releases come out Ill decide if this is something I want to invest in.

logan054
17-07-2015, 15:31

I can't really argue with that. I do really like most of the khorne models. I've ebayed the bits I wanted. If the skullreapers had looked like the blood warriors I would of been a very happy chappy.

Shifte
17-07-2015, 16:07

That's fine, but we're consumers. I will not give GW money for a product that doesn't meet my needs purely because they're a company that needs to make money. If they do not fix Age of Sigmar they will not get my money.

I'd saved up for buying Age of Sigmar and all of its additional products, too. I was well up for it. Here is what they'll need to get my cash:

1) Army composition rules.

2) Fix the other rules (shooting from and into combat, no targeting restrictions, measuring from models?!)

Cheers.

innerwolf
17-07-2015, 16:09
I will. The Stormcast Eternals design and imagery caught my eye and imagination.
I will buy the starter and maybe some of the additional Stormcast releases.

Teurastaja
17-07-2015, 17:18
I won't buy anything because I don't want to support AoS in its current form. I will reconsider it when/if I see proper rules and points system. I don't have time for endless discussions, coming up with house rules and all that silliness.

Galain
17-07-2015, 19:01

So are you saying that there are people content to buy the starter set and nothing else ever again? Or that even with the additional traffic and interest, the number of people actually buying into AoS are a small minority?

Neither sounds like a sustainable business plan.

StarFyreXXX
17-07-2015, 19:23
I won the priest guy (with banner) from the boxed set on ebay, and i will get the hero model on foot (not released yet i think). Those 2, with some mods, will make a great epic/mythic Paladin for my epic level D&D/Pathfinder campaign :) (lvl 13 Paladin/10 Vassal of Bahamut, Mythic Tier 1)

but no, not playing actual WH anymore... sold all my lizardmen other than a few hero models that would be great as player characters (who are playing Lizardmen) in D&D.

logan054
17-07-2015, 19:58
That's fine, but we're consumers. I will not give GW money for a product that doesn't meet my needs purely because they're a company that needs to make money. If they do not fix Age of Sigmar they will not get my money.

I'd saved up for buying Age of Sigmar and all of its additional products, too. I was well up for it. Here is what they'll need to get my cash:

1) Army composition rules.

2) Fix the other rules (shooting from and into combat, no targeting restrictions, measuring from models?!)

Cheers.

As a game age of sigmar is s pile of crap. I don't require GW rules in order to play games. I can happily use the models with much better rules. Regardless of the lazy design, GW do makes some very cool models. They just have no idea how to write rules. I really wish they had released these models for 8th and added some of the cool fluffy rules.

Ah well, warthrone looks good 😉

Zywus
17-07-2015, 20:11
In my experience, that's not true at all. Sure, some people buy an army and add the odd unit now and then. Most people I know who play for a long time either purchase several armies, increase their one army to more and more absurd proportions or both. "Your meta may vary" as the saying goes, but come on...

Also, in what way do you mean that 30/40k encourage using humongous armies much while fantasy doesn't?
If anything I's say that Fantasy scales better to huge battles that 40k does (apart from the magic system that needs some houseruling). It's not that more time consuming moving around 50 units on moving trays rather than 5. While every so called Apocalypse battle I've witnessed consists of two table edges packed by tanks like it's the superbowl perking lot, some poor infantry in the middle taking ages to move individually and then just get blasted apart by superheavies and the game ends after max three turns because people needs to go home.

Even if your analysis were correct here, Is AoS a good move for encouraging players to purchase 300 Sigmarites? Even the people who like the game says that it don't work well with more than about 40 miniatures per side. Do you think a game of 300 Sigmarites versus 500 chaos dudes would be a fun experience? Measuring range for every invididual model seing if his axehead or elbow is 1" from enemy model A's knee or perhaps enemy model B's spearhead.

Also, do I detect a undertone of blaming the customers for not purchasing more stuff, rather than GW adapting to what people actually want to purchase?

Mawduce
17-07-2015, 20:26

where is that data coming from?

Getifa Ubazza
17-07-2015, 20:30
My answer was, Yes and I will buy other stuff. However a more correct answer would be. Yes and I might buy other stuff.

I intend to get the starter set. From what I have seen, the 2 armies in the starter set seem to be well balanced against each other. If for example, GW sell battalion boxed sets that are also balanced against the starter set armies, I will likely collect all the battalion sets, so I can play lots of different sets against each other or even play 2 sets against 2 other sets. I will also buy, if GW give me a way to collect multiple small armies, about the size of the ones in the starter, that again, can be balanced. Or at least give me scenarios that I can use to have fun unbalanced games I will be happy.

If they can't do that. I will just use the 2 armies in the starter set as a game in a box type game and will likely not add any other factions. I might still buy something to add to the 2 armies in the box though, but probably only 1 or 2 things each to add interest. I will perhaps add a couple crossbow units to the Sigmarines and something similar to the Khorne Flakes, but suspect that's about all.

Sothron
17-07-2015, 20:33
I bought several thousand dollars' worth of WFB over the years. I clicked NEVER.

Same here in addition to Warhammer and 40k video games, role play games, Conquest, Invasion and Diskwar card games, the MMORPG, almost every GW/BL publication for WHFB and 40k...sigh

zimmo
17-07-2015, 20:57
Yes

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Galain
17-07-2015, 23:00
where is that data coming from?

Look up.

-Galain

Laniston
17-07-2015, 23:18
I voted never because I am not going to pay $60 Canadian for 5 infantry sized models, or $80-$150 for a monster/chariot/big thing. Age of Sigmar is also not the style of game that I like for my fantasy gaming. I like ranked up, mass-battle styles.

Still Standing
17-07-2015, 23:26
I played a ranked up massed battle today. Felt more or less like WFB.

Athariel
17-07-2015, 23:27
I bought the starter set and new paints and while the details on the models are nice and will make for a good painting project I am not impressed with the game at all. I really enjoy building army lists and with that gone its a kick in the teeth next to poor rules.

I have been playing WFB since 1995 and have never bought anything else other than GW and Forgeworld in the last 20 years and yesterday I placed an order on Wayland for starter boxes of X Wing, Alien vs Predator, Zombicide and Flames of War Second World War Open Fire.

I have been completely turned off by GW's treatment of WFB and they will have to do something to pull me back. As it currently stands I only see myself buying the odd model for a painting project.

Holier Than Thou
17-07-2015, 23:31
Never. It's a poor excuse for a game and I won't reward Games Workshop for their complete lack of effort.

Also, with regards to the suggestion that people weren't buying WHFB stuff. I bought about 3500 points (remember them?)of Vampire Counts models in the last two or three years. Until they released Age of Sigmar I was a pretty good customer, not now.

Odin
17-07-2015, 23:58
I'm taking the money I had planned to spend on Warhammer, and spending it on Guild Ball and Malifaux.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

20-07-2015, 00:05
Already spent more on AoS than I've spent with GW add a whole over the last five years, so definitely. It's a great game so far

GrandmasterWang
20-07-2015, 04:41
I just ordered 3 of the box set Mega hammer Sigmar guys off of an ebay trader who sells the box set bits individually so I have just spent my first bit of personal cash on AOS excluding thw white dwarfs.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

some_scrub
20-07-2015, 05:02
I bought the starter set, the big notarulebook, and some 32mm bases and a Drycha to turn some sylvaneth I had lying around in a closet into a tiny AoS force, more as a painting project than anything else. I'll be watching the rest of releases closely, but I don't plan on buying anything else unless the game develops in a direction I like.

Honestly, given where I fall on the AoS reaction spectrum, it's not a good sign that I am currently not planning on investing in AoS any further. When I use to imagine what I hoped GW would do for 9th edition, I would envision something very similar to AoS, at least in its broad strokes: I wanted streamlined rules and the option to scale the game down to very small forces; I wanted most of the army building restrictions to be lifted but to encourage themed forces with buffs (ie formations); I wanted army books replaced with 'Sourcebooks' in the style of Sigmar's Blood, Tamurkhan, HH, End Times, etc; I wanted them to use the sourcebooks distribution model to really explore the different times and places in the Warhammer world setting and allow the introduction of new mini-factions and special characters. But most of all, I wanted something that I suppose we have come to take for granted: I wanted it to be a functioning game.

AoS does pretty much everything I would have asked for, but it's still a big miss for me so far because it doesn't check the most important box: it doesn't give me and my friends any guidance on how to set up a fair game that is likely to go down to the wire and be close and exciting. Even if historical battles were provided with predetermined armies that would be a good enough frame of reference to start from.

skammadix
20-07-2015, 12:54
Very doubtful. While I did facepalm hard upon the release I do find the models kinda cool now. I still have no plans on buying however.

Buddy Bear
20-07-2015, 13:17
I'm taking the money I had planned to spend on Warhammer, and spending it on Guild Ball and Malifaux.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I plan to do something similar, only the money I normally would spend on Warhammer Fantasy will instead be going to X-Wing and Armada. I've always wanted to try them out, so I guess I should thank GW for saving me money.

Gharak
20-07-2015, 13:30
Given that armada is mentioned here. Just do a comparison at to the contents of the started box and expansions. The starters are basically the same price. I one you get 2 forces of sufficient strength to play through 6 scenarios and any further games you like, a ruleset that works with the miniatures of the base set with few issues and a full colour book of fluff, pictures, art and money rules. I the other you get 3 painted ships and all the cards and tokens required to play plus a rulebook and starter walk through. Don't get me wrong armada is a great game, some odd design decision at times (such as measuring los and range from different points) but it makes for a solid game, but you have to spend at least the cost of the starter again to make the game playable even at a basic level, the starter box is a really poor experience. I've dropped a further 200 on rebel ships, fighters and a gaming mat just to play a basic game with a couple of fleet options (4 ships, 20 squadrons and all the upgrades)

30 will buy you 1 ship for Armada, I hate to think how much the wave 2 ships will be. On the other hand 30 gets you 5 large miniatures for AoS.

Though I would consider 20 a character for AoS to be a bit of a rip off. Nice kit but shouldn't be more than a tenner.

G

Captain Marius
20-07-2015, 14:58
Im enjoying the AoS rules but wont be buying any new stuff until the background has shaken out a bit, and ive finished my planned spending for SW armada. I am looking to pick up some of the big kits from 8th now i dont need to paint a million infantry first to use them!

mdauben
20-07-2015, 16:56
Right now, I'm leaning towards not buying anything. Looking at the starter set, I actually kind of like the Sigmarines and could possible see fielding an army of them, if I liked the rules. The Chaos force I'm not wild about, but I'm not really interested in Chaos in general so that's nothing against the quality of the figs in the starter. The rules... I just don't like them.

I figure I'll wait to see what happens with this game. If the new figures for the other new factions look cool, that could push me into buying something. If by some miracle the follow up supplements do something to radically improve the rules, that could push me nto buying something.

For right now, though, I'm spending my hobby budget on other games and other projects. If I never buy/play AoS it will be no great loss to me (I've already got more gaming projects going than I can keep up with), even if I am sad to drop another GW game... :(

Overtninja
20-07-2015, 17:08
I might pick up the starter set if I can find a retailer locally where I can buy it, it would be a cool thing to play with friends right out of the box. I also need to get my army sent to me from home - that might be hard to swing, even though i've neatly packed most of it up. I am most interested in the elven faction and the tree guys (my army is WE) but the undead are also cool (almost started a VC army but never got around to setting it up). I'll probably buy up the scenery as well, since it's really rad.

Niall78
20-07-2015, 17:12
Just purchased the Star Wars Armada boxset yesterday. Will wait till I play a few games before I buy a few of the add-on ships.

Money isn't really a problem for me as an older gamer in a decent job. Good rules, a balancing system, decent fluff and continued support are my top priority - GW has none of these at the moment. Plenty of other companies do - the Euro I'd have spent on WFB with GW will now go elsewhere.

Pacman
21-07-2015, 05:28
Though I would consider 20 a character for AoS to be a bit of a rip off. Nice kit but shouldn't be more than a tenner.

Even a tenner would be taking the P.

The going rate for 28mm wargames miniatures in general is about 1.50 each for infantry and 3 for cavalry. For metal. Maybe 3-5 for a special character model. Plastics are generally about 50p-1 each.

GW's pricing is absolutely out of control. Vote with your wallets folks, there are plenty of great companies making sensibly priced fantasy miniatures (or historical ones you can use in Warhammer games).

Ludaman
21-07-2015, 08:03
I spent $11.50 U.S. To pick up the chaos lord with flesh hound from eBay. So far it and the gryph hound are the only minis I like. I plan on attaching the hound to Harry the Hammerer and converting him to a pack-master for a unit of 10 flesh hounds. I think it'll look cool :).

logan054
21-07-2015, 18:18
I spent $11.50 U.S. To pick up the chaos lord with flesh hound from eBay. So far it and the gryph hound are the only minis I like. I plan on attaching the hound to Harry the Hammerer and converting him to a pack-master for a unit of 10 flesh hounds. I think it'll look cool :).

He's a nice model. The marauders look very nice on square bases ;)

Kahadras
21-07-2015, 19:33
30 will buy you 1 ship for Armada, I hate to think how much the wave 2 ships will be. On the other hand 30 gets you 5 large miniatures for AoS.

Really? Only the Assault Frigate/VSD is that expencive. The Nebulon and the Corvette weigh in at around half that.

I've dropped a further 200 on rebel ships, fighters and a gaming mat just to play a basic game with a couple of fleet options (4 ships, 20 squadrons and all the upgrades)

That seems way out of whack. My current fleet is...

1 Assault Frigate - 30
2 CR90 Corvettes (1 from the starter box) - 17
2 Nebulon B Frigates (1 from the starter box set) - 17
2 packs of Rebel fighters (plus the X-wings from the starter set) - 34

That's just under 100 and if you factor in the 10% saving I got from going through Element Games it ended up being under 90. That gives me 5 ships and 20 squadrons for under 100. Even picking up a couple of Armarda gaming mats it would still only come up to 160 or 145 online (rather than just buying a 3x6 ft wooden board and a pot of black paint for conciderably less)

jet_palero
21-07-2015, 23:50
Really? Only the Assault Frigate/VSD is that expencive. The Nebulon and the Corvette weigh in at around half that.

That seems way out of whack. My current fleet is...

1 Assault Frigate - 30
2 CR90 Corvettes (1 from the starter box) - 17
2 Nebulon B Frigates (1 from the starter box set) - 17
2 packs of Rebel fighters (plus the X-wings from the starter set) - 34

That's just under 100 and if you factor in the 10% saving I got from going through Element Games it ended up being under 90. That gives me 5 ships and 20 squadrons for under 100. Even picking up a couple of Armarda gaming mats it would still only come up to 160 or 145 online (rather than just buying a 3x6 ft wooden board and a pot of black paint for conciderably less)

There's plenty of discounters that do more than 10% as well. On USA amazon you can find them for closer to 20%. and then there's always miniature market and thewarstore. One also needs far fewer miniatures for an Aramada fleet than for any other popular wargame out there. And every ship comes with a host of tokens and cards that give it all kinds of options. I'm really liking Armada, just wish I could find some local folks interested in it.

Ronin[XiC]
22-07-2015, 07:58
Instead of buying AoS starterset, I bought a nice Mantic Goblin armyset for KoW.
Germany is starting to shift its tournaments from 8th to KoW and I love it.

lordreaven448
22-07-2015, 08:17
Probably never again. I still have a couple of models for a HH campaign I am apart of that I need to buy, but that's it.

Fantasy Skirmish is what I wanted. Instead I get this.....this *****************.

I am going to learn SAGA and play that. If I don't like it I will make my own game and use some GW elements for some factions. All I wanted was to raid the old world with a small band of Khorne Chaos Warriors.

Pacman
22-07-2015, 10:01
If fantasy skirmish is your cup of tea you might want to watch out for Dragon Rampant, due out later this year. It's a fantasy variant of Lion Rampant.

jtrowell
22-07-2015, 12:42
The poll is missing some option : I don't plan of never buying anything for AoS, but I might buy a few models (or terrain kits) for use with 8th edition or other games like Kings of War.

speedygogo
22-07-2015, 14:11
I like the new terrain a lot but otherwise have little interest in the age of sigmar. I bought the large book on fluff and rules but am just thoroughly disappointed with it. Much of my aversion to the game is that it is far too much like crappy 40k. GW grossly misunderstands its consumers in my opinion. They set the AOS to compete against the people that would normally buy 40k sales. If the game succeeds I suspect it will be at the expense of their cash cow. Many if not most older gamers that supported WFB, like myself feel completely alienated by a company we were blindly loyal to. The loss of be venue will hurt them. I suspected that by the time GW gets a clue that it will be too late. I honestly, could see GW with just one game in the future 40k and forgeworld with 30k. It is a shame really because many of us would have continued to pay for WFB and specialist games like Bloodbowl. I know of no existing company that alienates their fanatically loyal consumer base and obliterates their IP to boot. It seems like a formula to going out of business to me.