PDA

View Full Version : Charging/Melee Attack Range Question

FLAKPANZER
13-07-2015, 17:59
Quick question on melee weapon ranges.

Is the first rule below an exception when charging to the rule that you must be in range of the attacking weapon to make an attack? If not, which is it? You can attack within 3" or you can attack within the weapon's melee range?

COMBAT PHASE - P.3 of the AoS rules
Any unit that has charged or has models within 3" of an enemy unit can attack with its melee weapons in the combat phase.

PICKING TARGETS - P.4 of the AoS rules
First, you must pick the target units for the attacks. In order to attack an enemy unit, an enemy model from that unit must
be in range of the attacking weapon (i.e. within the maximum distance, in inches, of the Range listed for the weapon making the attack)

forseer of fates
13-07-2015, 18:15
Yeah its a stupid pointless rule most of the time, yes u can attack but 99% of weapons seem to be 1 inch range so only those who are base to base can attack, generally.

SimaoSegunda
13-07-2015, 18:21
Being within 3" means you are eligible to make a pile in move and attack. So if you're 3" away, and your weapon has a 1" range, you pile in towards the closest enemy model and then attack anyone in range.

forseer of fates
13-07-2015, 18:28
I can see that taking units out of coherency thou, because some models might be eligible to move, ones that are close to two units in combat, but majority will probably not be, so how will that work....

SimaoSegunda
13-07-2015, 19:14
I can see that taking units out of coherency thou, because some models might be eligible to move, ones that are close to two units in combat, but majority will probably not be, so how will that work....

Dude, I don't wanna be TFG, but.... Ok, it's like this. It isn't models that become eligible to make pile-in moves, it's units. So, if a unit has a model within 3", then all the models in that unit get to pile in. Then, any models in that unit get to attack, if they are in range of an enemy model.

theunwantedbeing
13-07-2015, 19:52
Quick question on melee weapon ranges.

Is the first rule below an exception when charging to the rule that you must be in range of the attacking weapon to make an attack? If not, which is it? You can attack within 3" or you can attack within the weapon's melee range?

A model of your unit within 3" (or if you charged) means you get a 3" pile in.
Then you attack and if your weapons range isn't enough to reach the enemy then you can't hit them.

It works like this
1. You charge 2D6" at an enemy upto 12" away.
2. You make a 3" pile in move with each model.
3. You make your attacks if there are enemy models in range of your weapons.

The weapon range determines which models you can hit, if none are in range then you don't get to make any attacks.
Treat it like shooting if it helps get your head around it.

DVeight
14-07-2015, 06:13
Also remember that the weapon range is just the profile on the war scroll. Distances are measured from model to model, not weapon being held by model to enemy model.

Bede19025
14-07-2015, 21:10
Also remember that the weapon range is just the profile on the war scroll. Distances are measured from model to model, not weapon being held by model to enemy model.

I'm not sure this is the general consensus. I am not a model. If the rules said to measure from the closest part of me, it wouldn't be corect to measure from the battle axe I'm holding in my hand since me, a person, and the battle axe, an object, are separate.

But model is not a person. The model's hand is not seprate from the axe in it. The model can't drop the axe and pick up a spear instead. (by the way, the old G.I. Joe dolls could do that-so this logic doesn't apply to them).

DVeight
15-07-2015, 07:18
Consensus or not, RAW are totally clear. Second paragraph on first page under title "Tools of War" - 'Distances in Warhammer: Age of Sigmar are measured in inches between the closest points of the models or units you're measuring to and from.'

The weapon, by all accounts, is part of the model. Whether its facing forward, upwards, backwards is irrelevant. You just measure from the closest point of the model to the closest point of the target model. Simple.