PDA

View Full Version : Are formations the answer?

Shogunate
13-07-2015, 18:55
I've played a couple of games of AoS so far using my beastmen. In both games, I used my main formation with minimum unit sizes. The first game was against a Sigmarine formation from the starter box; we were roughly matched on wounds, and it was fun and felt unexpectedly balanced. We ran out of time but where we left off it really could have gone either way.

The second game was against ogres, and once again my opponent used his main formation. Wounds weren't so balanced this time around, but overall it didn't feel too unfair, with the possible exception of the tyrant.

Admittedly, in both these games we forgot to roll for first turn every round. I do question whether that would have upset the balance a bit, and now I'm very reluctant to play using that rule.

This demands further experimentation, but it seems like using formations while attempting to roughly match wounds could be a decent way of ensuring a variety of units and getting a fair(ish) fight.

Sexiest_hero
13-07-2015, 19:03
The issue is for people who don't have the required models for a formation.

Theocracity
13-07-2015, 19:18
I think they definitely have potential. The biggest balance problem people seem to have with AoS is with radically asymmetrical forces, so setting up a game where each force uses a broadly similar formation structure is certainly a step in the right direction. Opponents could agree on using a formation 'core' and then an even amount of additional warscrolls for other units.

The main question comes in how evenly these formations are designed, and whether each force has enough variety in their formations to be interesting (the current legacy compendiums are wildly uneven on this count).

ArtificerArmour
13-07-2015, 19:23
is that an issue? is that any more of an issue than having 25% core?

Red Skullz
13-07-2015, 19:27
I think scenarios are more important than formations. At least that's my experience from 40k. If it's valid for AoS only time will tell.

drazhar222
13-07-2015, 19:32
I have found it to be a good answer. its between using formation or Battalion boxes this a few little extras usually a hero and monster/ war-machine of some kind. I think they are a good staring point for an army anyway.

Shogunate
13-07-2015, 20:09
The issue is for people who don't have the required models for a formation.

Having a cursory glance at a few different army formations, it seems like it's all generic stuff. I'd be surprised if long-time fantasy players don't have those basic units, or something close enough in power to substitute them with.

I think they definitely have potential. The biggest balance problem people seem to have with AoS is with radically asymmetrical forces, so setting up a game where each force uses a broadly similar formation structure is certainly a step in the right direction. Opponents could agree on using a formation 'core' and then an even amount of additional warscrolls for other units.

The main question comes in how evenly these formations are designed, and whether each force has enough variety in their formations to be interesting (the current legacy compendiums are wildly uneven on this count).

Yeah...I noticed some give a fair amount of options in terms of "one unit of this, this or this" while others don't have that flexibility, which is a shame.

I think scenarios are more important than formations. At least that's my experience from 40k. If it's valid for AoS only time will tell.

I guess this is just personal preference, but I'd rather be limited to a formation than playing special scenarios.

I have found it to be a good answer. its between using formation or Battalion boxes this a few little extras usually a hero and monster/ war-machine of some kind. I think they are a good staring point for an army anyway.

Agreed. Even if you don't want to limit yourself to just the formation, it just seems like a great way to have a core that you can expand on.

I'd very much like to see both AoS and 40k go further down the formation route and abandon points. If the formations represent fluffy, varied and fair ways of running armies, what's not to like? You could even tier the formations. Additionally it gives new players a very clear path to building an army, and helps with add-on sales for GW.

Mawduce
13-07-2015, 20:37
They make rules for a game, that's fine. Telling me what to play with to make those rules work... no.

Red Skullz
13-07-2015, 20:51
Formations isn't a limitation. It's a way of playing a themed list and getting a few bonuses on the way. It's voluntary so no forcing.

Shogunate, I'll elaborate a bit. What I mean with scenarios is that they will hopefully be about more than just killing stuff but be more objective driven. This will lead to a different style of play (ie different types of lists) as you want to score objectives and win the game instead of just killing the most but not get any objectives. Maelstrom missions in 40k does this for example. This is my opinion as I find kill points scenarios to be rather boring after all of these years.

Horus38
13-07-2015, 20:56
The formations also jumped out at me as a good core/balancing point for army construction. I'm looking forward to more content being released to see how things start shaping up.

RunepriestRidcully
13-07-2015, 20:59
The problem is some of the formations either need a lot of a certain model (high elf heros on dragons, tk chariots,) or some just aren't that powerfull, for example the saurus hoard, despite being an almost match for my lizardmen army (plus a few salamanders and skink units) doesn't really help the fact that Saurus are now as tough and strong as an elf, and even with formation benefits it won't be able to go toe to toe with others which are more powerfull, such as the TK chariot one.

Mr_Foulscumm
13-07-2015, 21:10
Solution to what? :p

Philhelm
14-07-2015, 00:55
Solution to what? :p

A final solution. :shifty: The Skaven have been poisoning our wells for quite long enough, and the Orruks have been stealing our women. We shall forge from Sigmarite a race of superhuman soldiers to sweep across the realms. Hail Sigmar!

Shandor
14-07-2015, 01:38
Does formations have a Fix Number of models you have in a unit? Sorry i didnt take a look since i dont play any AoS anymore. But im interested in the news.